PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Bonner draws praise for performance as starter

Bruno
12-13-2007, 05:13 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121307_SpursAdv.en.e260dea.html

Web Posted: 12/12/2007 11:21 PM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — While most of his Spurs teammates worked on their individual shooting skills some 90 minutes before Tuesday's road game against the Golden State Warriors, Matt Bonner sat by himself in front of a video monitor watching the scouting tape of the Warriors' game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Bonner had found out Tuesday morning that Tim Duncan was going to sit out his third-straight game, which put him in the starting lineup. He wanted to be ready for the Warriors' defensive schemes.

Finally, he hopped up and exited the locker room into a cavernous concrete back hallway under the stands.

Bonner looked right, then left, finally asking an usher, “Which way to the court?”

Turned out Bonner was the only Spur who knew which way was up in Oakland. Though he turned in career highs in points (25) and rebounds (17), his teammates were so sloppy with the basketball they negated most of his positive input. By halftime, the Spurs had 12 turnovers, exceeding their league-low average of 11.6 per game. They finished with a season-high 21, and coach Gregg Popovich called such carelessness the primary cause for the team's fourth loss of the season.

The path from the visitors' locker room to the court at the Staples Center, where the Spurs will play the Lakers tonight, is a straight shot, so Bonner won't have to ask anyone for directions.

When he gets there, it likely will be to make his third start of the season, as Duncan remains doubtful to suit up because of lingering problems caused by a right ankle sprain suffered Dec. 2.

Popovich went out of his way to praise Bonner after Tuesday's loss in Oakland, Calif. Unless Duncan recovers enough to insist Popovich allow him to play, Bonner seems certain to start against the Lakers.

“Matty is just getting better and better with the minutes that we give him,” Popovich said. “He's really a rugged kid, and he shoots the ball well. He really competes every minute he is on the court. I thought he was very possibly our best player (on Tuesday).”

Nevertheless, Popovich wants Duncan back as soon as the two-time MVP power forward is able to return.

“He makes me a better coach” Popovich said. “The plays seem to work better when he's out there.”

Not even Duncan, though, has grabbed as many rebounds in a game this season than the 17 Bonner posted Tuesday.

Bonner found nothing to celebrate in having a career night in a game the Spurs lost.

“Yeah, for sure (it's frustrating),” he said. “The good thing is we got down pretty bad in the second quarter and we didn't give up. We battled back and got (the deficit) down into single digits and had a chance to make a run at the end. But they came up with some big shots and put it out of reach.”

Duncan could see the frustration on Bonner's face after Tuesday's game. He did his best to console him.

“There's not much you could say to him about that,” Duncan said. “All I said to him after the game was, ‘Great job on the boards.' No matter what else he did, he did a great job on the boards. He attacked the boards and made a difference. That's the kind of stuff that helps us against teams like the Warriors, and that's going to help us in games to come.

“He was a real bright point on a bad night.”

WalterBenitez
12-13-2007, 05:18 AM
After a while I was thinking how great would be to have this Bonner in playoffs, getting rebounds, scoring when TD were resting... OMG we are gonna be be so good this playoffs, I can't wait :madrun

Bruno
12-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Question:
If you were Pop, would you put now Bonner ahead of Elson in the rotation or would you wait more games before maybe making this move ?

naico
12-13-2007, 05:32 AM
If Bonner keeps playing well the next few games, given the minutes, i would even put him in the starting line-up next to duncan. He's all hustle and gives us what we need from the get go: rebounds

TheAuthority
12-13-2007, 05:46 AM
What I've said all along: Horry sure as hell better not take this guy's minutes. He's done.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Question:
If you were Pop, would you put now Bonner ahead of Elson in the rotation or would you wait more games before maybe making this move ?I'd do it now. I've been a big Bonner fan since he came here and while I've been dissapointed in his production this year he is starting to pick it back up. I believe that when Bonner is active in the rotation he develops a rythmn - a sort of groove - that allows him to become more comfrotable and to play better.

We saw it last year when the Spurs had injuries and we're seeing it this year once again for the same reason. His defense needs lots of work, but Elson doesn't do any better in that regard. When he's confident Bonner has very good offense and fits a great role on this team.

m33p0
12-13-2007, 08:33 AM
If Bonner keeps playing well the next few games, given the minutes, i would even put him in the starting line-up next to duncan. He's all hustle and gives us what we need from the get go: rebounds

:tu

urunobili
12-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Bonner > Scola

BonnerDynasty
12-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Manu and Tony better show up tonight to keep the Triple Teams off Bonner.

timvp
12-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Question:
If you were Pop, would you put now Bonner ahead of Elson in the rotation or would you wait more games before maybe making this move ?Tough to say because they are such different players. Elson, in theory, is one of the few shotblockers on the Spurs. Bonner is never going to be a shotblocker.

The only reason I'm not all for Bonner jumping over Elson is rebounding. Elson has been rebounding rather well this season, while Bonner (before last game) was rebounding a lot worse than last year. If Bonner can close that gap, I'd be more comfortable with Bonner over Elson.

As some have said in this thread, I wonder what it'd look like with Bonner in the starting lineup once Duncan returns. The reason it makes a bit of sense is that you can come off the bench with both Ginobili and Oberto. The more those two play together, the better.

It might be interesting to test out that alignment and see how it goes. Although come playoff time, the safest lineup is to use the same rotation as last year: Oberto starting with Horry being the big off the bench.

SAGambler
12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I would like a setup where Manu and Fabs come off the bench together.

If Bonner can pick up on the defensive end, then start him with Duncan. He has that knack to pick up rebounds, plus he spreads the floor for Duncan if they are out there together. I know that's supposed to be Fins job, but lately he is bricking more than he is hitting.

I guess we have a real problem with so many good players. Hard to find which rotations work best against which team.

Supergirl
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
INjuries aside, our list for the 4/5 spot should be, in order of minutes played:

1. Duncan
2. Oberto - He plays better with Duncan than any C we've had since D-Rob.
3. Bonner - He's gives us athleticism and stretches opposing teams defense in a way that only Horry does at this spot
4. Horry - In the playoffs, he'll still be called upon for his great defense and timely shooting. But he shouldn't play much till then.
5. Elson - He's occasionally really good but he seems to be the weakest in terms of grasping the Spurs' system. Last year that was understandable, but this year I expect more from him.

The Truth #6
12-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Bonner isn't going to get that many rebounds against most teams. The Warriors play tiny but kudos to Matt for taking advantage of the mismatch. Elson is unpredictable. He may play great one minute, then horrible the next. And he seems to be consistent in this respect, as paradoxical as that sounds. Put another way, I don't see much progress or regress with Elson. Bonner is improving so I'd give him Elson's minutes for now until he no longer is contributing more than what Elson "typically" does.