PDA

View Full Version : Zen Master, At It Again: Directed at Manu this time

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2007, 05:33 AM
The Lakers weren't as jubilant after a 107-92 loss Nov. 13 in San Antonio. They were in the game, and then they weren't, an 18-2 second-quarter run pushing the Spurs to an easy 107-92 win.

Tim Duncan had only five points on two-for-13 shooting, but defense-minded forward Bruce Bowen had 23 points and made all six of his three-point attempts. The Lakers helped the Spurs by committing 15 turnovers in the first half.

"It's a good test for us to see how much we've improved since the last time we played them," Kobe Bryant said. "We just weren't prepared in terms of our experience as a team and being able to go deeper into our offense to be able to combat what they do against us defensively. . . .

"But now we're much better prepared and more equipped. It's going to be a nice challenge."

The concept of beating the Spurs (17-4) brightened somewhat after the Golden State Warriors dropped them Tuesday, 96-84. Duncan missed a third consecutive game because of a sprained right ankle and is listed as questionable for tonight's game. Tony Parker has been playing with a sprained left ankle and is also questionable.

Manu Ginobili is not injured, which is good news for the Spurs. He had scored 37 points in two consecutive games before falling to 13 points on four-for-14 shooting against Golden State.

Jackson, who once irreverently referred to Bowen as "Edward Scissorhands" because of his aggressive hands-on defense, was only slightly more complimentary toward Ginobili.

"He walks every time he takes that drive," Jackson said. "It's the European walk. That makes the whole difference in the world, how far they can get on that step. He's terrific at it because he uses angles well, he's got great speed and he changes directions well."

link (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep13dec13,1,318405.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&track=crosspromo)

He's such a master at the backhanded compliment :lol

TheAuthority
12-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Oddly enough, he(Jackson) seemed to walk a number of times on a hop step last game. Manu does carry and travel a lot too, though.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Oddly enough, he(Jackson) seemed to walk a number of times on a hop step last game. Manu does carry and travel a lot too, though.
Sometimes, I think he travels, but I usually count two steps on the replays and am proved wrong.

All penetrators can be accused of getting away with a few travel calls though so I wouldn't single him out. Ask Parker, Wade, and Lebron.... more power to them if they earn the benefit of the doubt from being really adept at penetrating.

TheAuthority
12-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Sometimes, I think he travels, but I usually count two steps on the replays and am proved wrong.

All penetrators can be accused of getting away with a few travel calls though so I wouldn't single him out. Ask Parker, Wade, and Lebron, more power to them if they earn the benefit of the doubt.

LeBron, not so much. Wade I see travel almost every time he spins.

mystargtr34
12-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Apart from Wade, i dont think theres a player in the league that gets away with more of those calls than LeBron.

melo061
12-13-2007, 07:42 AM
I think you spurs fans know Zen's tactics. He is setting up the referees so they can keep an extra eye on how he operates during Today's game.

Personally, it's not only Ginobli who travels. Many superstars in the league, travel and carry. Kobe and Duncan seem to be the only true superstars out there who minimally break the rules.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2007, 07:43 AM
:lol

WTF? Manu isn't even the player on the Spurs who gets away with the most walks. Thats Tony.

melo061
12-13-2007, 07:44 AM

WTF? Manu isn't even the player on the Spurs who gets away with the most walks. Thats Tony.

Yeh, PJ called him out during last year's game in San antonio. He was yelling during the game "That's a walk".

This is why PJ is PJ. He is ultimate manipulator. He knows how to plays things in his favour.

anakha
12-13-2007, 07:46 AM

Co-sign.

How he gets away with that extra step on those spin moves, I'll never know.

As long as they don't get called, I say keep it up. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
12-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Co-sign.

Its because he so quick while doing it. I mean, its all too easy to see the travel when you have different camera angles and instant replay, but when you're a ref paying attention to several things at once, a quick travel is hard to spot. Tony does it regularly, and he rarely gets called for it. Quickness I tell you, lightning quickness

Doctor J
12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Phil Jackson is playing again a "mind-control" game here.

He wants to put extra pressure on Manu and gives petition to the referees.

That's what George Karl did during the playoffs last season in order to limit Manu's drives.

But Ginobili overcame that anyways.

m33p0
12-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Co-sign.

apparently, hop steps are allowed, again. i remember a few years back, the league ruled it illegal. manu takes long strides on his drives to the basket.

Dario
12-13-2007, 08:26 AM
90% or more players who does a spin move travels, it just isn't called in NBA. Same goes for fast breaks, where a player gets the ball and does 3 or sometimes 4 steps when they dunk. The most obvious with that is wade.

polandprzem
12-13-2007, 08:49 AM
As far as I know the NBA was always "no-travelling" leauge

Mr. Body
12-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Co-sign the above. Parker travels all the time. Manu, amazingly enough, does not.

samikeyp
12-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Phil Jackson is playing again a "mind-control" game here.

He wants to put extra pressure on Manu and gives petition to the referees.

That's what George Karl did during the playoffs last season in order to limit Manu's drives.

But Ginobili overcame that anyways.

Exactly....historically when Jackson percieves a team as a potential threat to his success, he goes to the mind games card. He did it with the Knicks in the 90's and has done it toward the Spurs this decade.

It would be stupid to say Phil is scared but doing this acknowledges the fact that he recognizes that the Spurs are the better team in his mind.

samikeyp
12-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Personally, it's not only Ginobli who travels. Many superstars in the league, travel and carry. Kobe and Duncan seem to be the only true superstars out there who minimally break the rules.

Very true...as great as he was, MJ was horrible about traveling.

JamStone
12-13-2007, 09:10 AM
He said the same thing about Dwyane Wade two years ago, that he walks all the time.

So what? Players get away with walks and carries and palms all the time.

Who even listens to Phil Jackson anymore anyway?

urunobili
12-13-2007, 09:11 AM
90% or more players who does a spin move travels, it just isn't called in NBA. Same goes for fast breaks, where a player gets the ball and does 3 or sometimes 4 steps when they dunk. The most obvious with that is wade.
Chris Paul should be another candidate...

samikeyp
12-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Who even listens to Phil Jackson anymore anyway?

Those in Laker Nation who still believe this is actually a championship team.

MoSpur
12-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Kobe never walks?

Man In Black
12-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Tell Phil to buy a Pepsi and a smile and then READ the truth!!!

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306355&postcount=4

Though his legs are relatively short for his frame, Ginobili covers an inordinate amount of ground, which has led to much wailing that he travels more than a rail-riding hobo. "I do not travel," says Ginobili. "I take two steps always." Bowen, who played for parts of two seasons in France, agrees. "We're taught over here to take these little pitty-pat two steps, but in Europe they take two long steps," he says. One NBA referee, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that while officials do get complaints about Ginobili's alleged traveling, "it's not even an issue."

Along with long steps, Ginobili takes side steps, so his journey to the hoop is seldom a straight -- or predictable -- route. He charges into the lane like a tailback into the line, feinting toward one hole then darting into another. "Manu's learned to take his steps wide and not in the same direct path," says Bowen. "He uses his steps to get around people, not just by them."

Ginobili has become such an effective one-on-one player that an interesting subplot has developed on the Spurs: When the clock is running down late in a close game, will Popovich put the ball in the hands of his point guard, Parker, or Ginobili? Parker can get to the rim or shoot his high-arcing "teardrop" from inside 10 feet. But Ginobili is just as lethal, and lately Popovich has trusted him to go Manu a mano in tight games. Ginobili slashes to the hoop, has a pull-up jumper and finds teammates when he's doubled. Before Game 3 of the Western finals, the Suns were working on their defensive rotations in practice when someone asked, "What do we do if Ginobili gets to this spot?"

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni's answer: "Pray that he misses."

Ginobili also has a knack for absorbing contact and still getting off a good shot, which is fortunate for him, since his giant-steps journeys to the basket frequently -- make that almost always -- bring him into contact with a defender or two, not to mention the court. In San Antonio's 102-92 Game 3 win, Phoenix center Amarι Stoudemire almost pulled Ginobili's left arm out of its socket in an effort to stop a reckless excursion to the hoop; later, an undeterred Manu barreled toward the basket, knees up, challenging Stoudemire, a shot blocker, to knock him down. Stoudemire complied. Whistle, basket good, three-point play.

"I don't think about drawing the contact on purpose," Ginobili says. "I just want to get to the line." Which he does.

ancestron
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Fuck Phil Jackson

samikeyp
12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Tell Phil to buy a Pepsi and a smile and then READ the truth!!!

I like the Eddie Murphy version when he was talking to Richard Pryor about Bill Cosby complaining about Eddie's language and I will paraphrase it by adding Phil's name.

"Tell Phil to have a Coke and a Smile and shut the fuck up!"

m33p0
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM

a great majority of them actually believe they are championship contenders. :dramaquee

Medvedenko
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
The Spurs are a better team...deeper and a lot more seasoned....still Phil likes his mind games and I'm not too worried about Manu and his steps, but Tparker drives me insane with his dancing in the lane....Yes he's quick but a travel is a travel.

Budkin
12-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Poor Phil Jackson... pathetic as always.

LakeShow
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM

:toast

LakeShow
12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/newsimages/sports/2007/12/10_nbacolumn1_medium.jpg
DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS: Lakers coach Phil Jackson has been asked to run for senate, be a Harvard professor and serve on the board of a Fortune 500 company.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/jackson-lakers-tennis-1939234-harvard-halberstam

Lakers' Jackson a man of many opportunities
NBA column: A new contract temporarily keeps the coach from running for Senate or being a Harvard professor.
KEVIN DING
Register columnist
NBA
[email protected] Comments 0| Recommend 8

The world will have to wait.

That's the greater upshot of Phil Jackson's decision to extend his Lakers coaching contract to 2010. There's a whole wide world out there, ready to rip hinges off to open various doors to Jackson. His past free agency has been unlike any other in sports – largely not even about sports – with a rainbow of job opportunities all looking like gold.

U.S. Senator? Harvard professor? Fortune 500 board member? Yes, yes, yes. The extent to which the world could be Jackson's playground has never been fully explained. It's mind-boggling to ponder … and actually quite inspirational when you consider the guy was filing for unemployment at 42.

And if Jackson were done with basketball but chose to stay in sports … pro tennis coach? Unbelievably, yes.

The men's tennis superstars who approached Jackson at the Australian Open in January 2005 while between Lakers stints were the big boys. And Jackson was legitimately intrigued, because he actually has a long-held love for the sport of tennis.

ESPN did an interview with Jackson at the tournament under the assumption that he was just a mindless spectator there smiling at kangaroos and koalas. There was much more going on – and not just the Knicks' usual desperate grab at Jackson (Lenny Wilkins had just resigned) or the Lakers' confusion (Rudy Tomjanovich was a week away from stepping down).

Tennis is all about the psychology of the moment and channeling energy, the very lessons Jackson's NBA players will tell you they've gleaned most from him. Tennis isn't, however, about team building, which is really the gist of Jackson's magic act.

The Lakers are paying Jackson, 62, a large fortune at $24 million over two years to stay on, but he could easily make a small fortune without working nearly as hard by accepting offers for speaking engagements. During Jackson's 1998-99 free agency between the Bulls and Lakers, he did more of these speeches and it became clear that people in business aren't nearly as interested in Michael Jordan's body as they are in Jackson's mind.

Invariably in the Q-and-A segments of the speeches, the same question would arise: How do you get someone such as Dennis Rodman to be part of the whole? Running a business is basically running a team toward a money-making goal, which is why so many offers have and will continue to come to Jackson about sitting on corporate boards.

Jackson has the same amount of business experience as he does political – none – but that hasn't stopped him from being invited to run for the Senate in his native Montana. As a Democrat. And as a Republican. He has also been asked in North Dakota, where he grew up and went to college. As a Democrat. And as a Republican.

Jackson has no shortage of political opinions, but he's more amused by these offers than anything else. He did help with fundraising in former Knicks teammate Bill Bradley's campaign for the 2000 Democratic presidential nomination. And Jackson has donated money to Barack Obama's campaign this year, so perhaps Oprah Winfrey will soon have company in endorsing Obama.

But the one sidelight that really caught Jackson's fancy – and perhaps was as close as he could've gotten to his mother's wish for him to become a respectable minister like both his parents – was the Harvard opportunity. Through Pulitzer Prize-winning author David Halberstam, a Harvard alum, Jackson could've written his own ticket as a professor there.

Halberstam developed an even greater regard for Jackson while writing "Playing for Keeps" about Jordan in 1998 and made it a personal crusade to bring a post-Bulls Jackson to Harvard. Halberstam went so far as clearing it with the university president to ensure Jackson would take it seriously. That's how much Halberstam thought Jackson had to offer in academia.

Jackson saw the fit and no doubt could've come up with a whopper for the course catalog. How about "The Role of Sports in American Society as Compared to and Contrasted with Religious Thought, Modern Literature and Native American Tribal Customs"?

Bottom line, Jackson views himself as a teacher, which is why he spent time in 2004 mentoring a group of high school kids in Inglewood and gave them "teamwork" as the topic for the stories they would write into a published book. It's also why he is back with the Lakers again despite the remarkable potential of a "higher calling" somewhere else.

He loves to teach basketball, so he ultimately keeps doing it … for now.

Jackson's recommended career paths from a personality test he took years ago were homemaker and trail guide. After he retired as an NBA player at 35, he ran a small health club in Montana for a spell. He wound up coaching basketball in Albany, N.Y., when it was cold and Puerto Rico when it was hot.

From that little has spawned this much. Just goes to show, anything's possible.

Contact the writer: [email protected]

BeerIsGood!
12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
There is no more travel in the NBA on the extra step, and Manu is the one guard who rarely does it anyway. 90% of the time people travel by taking a step before putting the ball down on a drive from the triple threat, but that is called once every 2 or 3 games at most.

This is how you know Phil is the scared little dog backed up in a corner, but he must be getting senile because he's going after the wrong guy. Parker is more likely succeptible to these types of things.

pawe
12-13-2007, 01:34 PM
That is Manu's legacy! Jackson knows Manu will get his if he wills it so what did that panzy ass coach did? he goes to the media to relay his message to the refs. I really hate that fucker and how he sits with his legs crossed.

SouthernFried
12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Few call travels on spin moves. Be it high school, college or the NBA. One of the reasons it such a great move...if you can do it.

Manu doesn't travel. He just takes huge, long steps. Parker does travel..and he gets called on it a lot too.

Dario
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Few call travels on spin moves. Be it high school, college or the NBA. One of the reasons it such a great move...if you can do it.

That is the whole reason, because it is such a great move refs don't whistle it, same goes with high flying dunks. Its all for show.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Co-sign the above. Parker travels all the time. Manu, amazingly enough, does not..

Parker had one of his travels in the NBA highlights last year in the playoffs. And it was number one I think :lol

E20
12-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Everybody in the NBA travels. I tried doing something that was quite common in the NBA that I see happens 30 times a night by all PG's/SG's and I got called for a carry/travel/double dribble all at once. The refs let things slide as far as another half step or dribbling the ball a certain way.

WalterBenitez
12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Manu walks even when he is seated on the bench :sleep

Marhq
12-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Euro step? To bad Jackson has never watched a FIBA game as to know what he's talking about. Blatant travelling is a hallmark of the NBA.

Thet rule is much more severely enforced in FIBA while in the NBA you can get away with it all the time (especially if you're Lebron), and that's something that really shows when American NBA players have to play FIBA games.

I'm not talking about half steps, but big fat four or five steps. Many players don't even care to dribble going for a fastbreak dunk because they know no ref will prevent a highlight play from happening.

Saludos.

freemeat
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I think you spurs fans know Zen's tactics. He is setting up the referees so they can keep an extra eye on how he operates during Today's game.

Somehow I don't think the referees are reading what Phil Jackson has to say to the media about Manu Ginobili.

slayermin
12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Magic said some of the same crap on TNT once. It's like the Laker camp meet behind close doors and create a smear campaign against the Spurs. But it is funny when the Chuckster and Kenny calls out Magic for being a Laker homer.

Even the Laker media talks shit about San Antonio on the local broadcasts. If you guys ever see John Irelandhttp://image.cbslocal.com/100x75/johnirelandheadshot.jpg walking around San Antonio, be sure to flip him off or spit in his food. If I can find the crap he said about San Antonio, I'll youtube it.

BonnerDynasty
12-13-2007, 06:59 PM
The pathetic L.A. media laugh along with PJ like a bunch of ignorant sheep.

I hate PJ.

melo061
12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Kobe never walks?

Kobe barely walks and everytime he does he gets called for it.

Somehow I don't think the referees are reading what Phil Jackson has to say to the media about Manu Ginobili.

PJ has always done this, it's a tactic to get the officials to look more closely into the way a player plays. I'm sure the referees have heard of PJ's comments already.

slayermin
12-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Kobe barely walks and everytime he does he gets called for it.

Bullshit. He does walk and he does get away with it.

timvp
12-13-2007, 07:47 PM
On a scale of 1-10 that ranks about a 0.3 on the Phil Jackson Mind-Game-O'Meter.

Kori Ellis
12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Manu and Tony both travel a lot. Manu nearly football tucks the ball and then travels. Parker travels all the time. But most of the time they don't call it on Tony/Manu or most of the guys in the league. So.. oh well.

peskypesky
12-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Kobe never walks?

Kobe gets away with a LOT of travelling. Especially when he's posting up. He's always switching his pivot foot. I've slowed down footage and seen this many times.

Udrihlooms
12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
LeBron, not so much. Wade I see travel almost every time he spins.

Stern has given Wade the lifetime option to dribble or not to dribble when he has the ball. :spin

lefty
12-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Funny he didn't mention Kobe carrying the ball every time he goes for a crossover.... :donkey

diego
12-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Manu nearly football tucks the ball

you say that as if it were illegal, am i missing something? although i do find it odd not many other players do that

SpurOutofTownFan
12-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Jackson is a joke - man, he really has hit new lows each season.... he told the reported today after the Bynum incident that what happened with OBerto getting away with murder is what the spurs DO.

Kori Ellis
12-14-2007, 02:14 AM
you say that as if it were illegal, am i missing something? although i do find it odd not many other players do that

It's illegal when you are taking too many steps with it.

E20
12-14-2007, 02:15 AM
It's illegal when you are taking too many steps with it.
You never said that in your initial post. :hat

Kori Ellis
12-14-2007, 02:16 AM
You never said that in your initial post. :hat

Manu nearly football tucks the ball and then travels.

I thought that was pretty clear :lol

BonnerDynasty
12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
PJ talked even more garbage during the interview before the 4th.

Something about getting shoved around/tangled up was just one of those things you have to deal with when playing S.A.

E20
12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
I thought that was pretty clear :lol
You edited your post. :hat

You coul have changed it without showing any signs of editing, you're the mod. :hat

I didn't see that when I first read it. :hat

I was actually being sarcastic in the post you quoted me. :hat

Kori Ellis
12-14-2007, 02:20 AM
You edited your post. :hat

You coul have changed it without showing any signs of editing, you're the mod. :hat

I didn't see that when I first read it. :hat

I was actually being sarcastic in the post you quoted me. :hat

What's with the :hat:hat:hat:hat?
Are you smoking?

LakerLanny
12-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Every nation has it's crazy people.

I don't hear too many hardcore Laker fans talking championship right now. Bottom line is our team is soft defensively and poorly coached, luckily we do have some young talent (Bynum, Farmar, Critt) that gives me some optimism for the future.

TheZackAttack!
12-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Fuck Phil Jackson

Russ
12-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Phil has reached a new high tonight -- blaming Kobe's turnovers on a "taut" (too pumped up) ball. :elephant

TheAuthority
12-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Trade Kobe and build around Bynum.

exstatic
12-15-2007, 02:07 PM
I sometimes feel over the last 5 years like the burro placed equidistant between two fresh bales of hay, and thinking he may starve to death trying to decide. The two bales?

Three Spurs championships

Phil, exposed as a first round out with only ONE top 5 player. Everything Zen? I don't think so...