PDA

View Full Version : Darren Woodson to retire...Should he go up in the ring of honor?

whottt
12-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Just saw the news on FSSW...

Kinda sad, with Woody's retirement the last link to the 3 time champion Cowboys is gone...true Allen is still on the team but he wasn't there for the first two...then again, Emmitt is still around and doing better than any other RB on the Cowboys :)...still, last link on the team of that great era.

The question has to be asked...

It's a given that Irvin, Emmitt and Troy will one day be up in the ring..It's likely the Moose will join them...a little less likely that Woodson who was a huge part of the d on those teams(especailly the last two champs) will go up in the ring...

I for one think he should go in the ring...

5 time Pro Bowler
The all time leader in tackles for the franchise(more than LeRoy Jordan...)
Spent his entire career as a Cowboy
3 Time Super Bowl Champion

Thoughts?

samikeyp
12-29-2004, 01:49 AM
I think he should and will be there for the reasons you mentioned as well as his passion and drive that endeared him to Cowboys fans.

jalbre6
12-29-2004, 01:53 AM
think he should too...whole career as a Cowboy and got three rings...

whottt
12-29-2004, 02:08 AM
The Cowboys have some tough decisions to make in the next decade, they really have a buttload of guys that belong up in the ring...it almost seems like it's easier to make the Pro Football HOF than it is to make the ring...Irvin stands a very good chance of being in the HOF before he makes it up in the ring...

That's just one of the issues...by my reckoning...at least 10 other guys belong up in the ring or have a very good case for it....

Drew Pearson
Ed Too Tall Jones
Troy
Mike
Emmitt
Jay Novacek
Darryl Johnston
Darren Woodson
Larry Allen

All belong in the ring...

Oh and one other guy...I am probably going to get some heat for this but...

Jimmy Johnson belongs in the ring of honor...this is going to be akin to Texas blasphemy but Jimmy Johnson, not Tom Landry, was the greatest coach in Dallas history...in 5 years he accomplished the ultimate goal as many times as Landry did in 29 seasons, actually he should probably get credit for the 3rd Superbowl as well...

It's not Jimmy's fault than Jerry was an ass who fired him after winning two Superbowls in a row...Jimmy belongs up on the ring IMO, and it's just wrong if he isn't.

10 guys, arguably more...and Jimmy and Drew Pearson should be the next two to go in.

Duff McCartney
12-29-2004, 02:28 AM
I dunno if he will go up there...but this adds another void that needs to be filled by the Cowboys. It's an ever growing list. Parcells will probably do some dumbass shit and get a nobody on there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-29-2004, 10:02 AM
Bringing the thread back on topic...

I'm actually surprised that there would be a question of Darren Woodson's induction the Ring.

To me, the Ring was made for guys like him. Great players who devoted their careers (not just staying with the team the whole career, but making a franchise impact with their time) to the Cowboys.

Hook Dem
12-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Another vote here for Woodson.

samikeyp
12-29-2004, 06:58 PM
while I disagree with this...

Jimmy Johnson belongs in the ring of honor...this is going to be akin to Texas blasphemy but Jimmy Johnson, not Tom Landry, was the greatest coach in Dallas history...in 5 years he accomplished the ultimate goal as many times as Landry did in 29 seasons, actually he should probably get credit for the 3rd Superbowl as well...

I do agree that Jimmy should be in there. I don't think that its fair to compare the two because they coached in different eras. Salary cap and free agency made the business totally different. With free agency, you can build a team quicker. Landry and Schramm did it mostly through the draft.

Regardless though....I think Johnson should be there and I do agree that he should get the credit for the 3rd SB win.

Guru of Nothing
12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
That's just one of the issues...by my reckoning...at least 10 other guys belong up in the ring or have a very good case for it....

Drew Pearson
Ed Too Tall Jones
Troy
Mike
Emmitt
Jay Novacek
Darryl Johnston
Darren Woodson
Larry Allen

I have not been paying attention. Yes, Woodson belongs, but my goodness, not before Too Tall and Drew Pearson? ... especially Drew Pearson!

Por Favor, a list of who's in the Ring.

johnny00
12-29-2004, 10:35 PM
5 time Pro Bowler
The all time leader in tackles for the franchise(more than LeRoy Jordan...)
Spent his entire career as a Cowboy
3 Time Super Bowl Champion

While they were reveiwing his accomplishments this morning, I had forgotten what an integrel part of the championship teams he was. It's just that those teams had so much talent on them (read as the Big Three) that there were players like Woodson who tended to get overshadowed. My first thought after being reminded of his contributions was this guy has got to go in the Ring of Honor, it would not make any sense if he didn't. So HELL YES!!!! Put him up there!

samikeyp
12-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Bob Lilly, Don Meredith, Don Perkins, Chuck Howley, Mel Renfro, Roger Staubach, Lee Roy Jordan, Tom Landry, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Bob Hayes and Tex Schramm.

pooh
12-30-2004, 11:17 PM

Drew Pearson
Ed Too Tall Jones
Troy
Mike
Emmitt
Jay Novacek
Darryl Johnston
Darren Woodson
Larry Allen

All belong in the ring...

Oh and one other guy...I am probably going to get some heat for this but...

I would also add the following Cowboys to that list:

Cliff Harris
Charlie Waters
Cornell Green
Rayfield Wright
Harvey Martin
Billy Joe Dupree
Jethro Pugh
Larry Cole
Tony Hill
Calvin Hill

whottt
12-31-2004, 07:06 AM
I would also add the following Cowboys to that list:

Cliff Harris
Charlie Waters
Cornell Green
Rayfield Wright
Harvey Martin
Billy Joe Dupree
Jethro Pugh
Larry Cole
Tony Hill
Calvin Hill

Harris and Wright are already unofficially in the Ring...at the Cowboys site it has both of them listed...my guess is that they will be going in this year if they haven't already been inducted.

I definitely agree Harvey Martin should be in the ring...in fact I thought he already was in the ring...Another example of Jerry screwing around too much and not getting these guys in there quick enough...Jerry doesn't seem to realize that the Cowboys aren't a typical NFL Franchise, they have had far more great players in their brief history than just about any other franchise.

I pretty much disagree with the rest of your list...I could maybe see a case for Charlie Waters...

I don't see much of a case for the rest of those guys...especially Tony Hill come to think of it I don't see much of a case for Calvin Hill either...no way. I know you like those guys because they were some of the bigger names during the glamour years of the 70's...but most of those guys you mentioned really don't deserve to be up there..

Bill Bates and Larry Brown are more deserving of Ring Status than some of those guys...a position in the pro bowl was created for Bill Bates, he played the second most seasons with the team of anyone...amazing when you consider the fact he was usually the last guy to make the roster...he also ranks only behind too tall I believe in games played with the franchise(Emmitt might have passed him though). Larry Brown lucked us into that last Superbowl win and holds the all time Superbowl record for interceptions..Superbowl MVP...

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 10:31 AM
a position in the pro bowl was created for Bill Bates,

Thank you. Someone else who knows this. People tend to look for a crack pipe when I say this because they do not believe its true.

Daryl Johnston was also the primary reason the Fullback position at the Pro Bowl was created as a seperate position from Running Back.