PDA

View Full Version : New Ads Feature Spurs Asking Parents To Take a "Time Out"

duncan228
12-14-2007, 10:36 PM
I assume local fans have spotted these, but for those of us out of the area...

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=6412a396-d282-4c8a-89af-e17b1571682d

New Ads Feature Spurs Asking Parents To Take a "Time Out"

You may have seen some new ads on television telling parents to take a "time out" if they're losing control. The ads feature some of the San Antonio Spurs.

"People really connect with this team. They listen to them," said Erin Barry, wife of San Antonio Spur Brent Barry. "Most of the guys on this team are fathers themselves, and I know my husband has needed a time out every now and then."

Brent and Erin Barry are just two Spurs crew members who have agreed to help with public service announcements geared toward preventing child abuse. Manu Ginobili and Jacque Vaughn are also part of the program.

mikejones99
12-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Brent .Just needs to keep hittin them 3,s Patriots -14 in SB

Buddy Holly
12-14-2007, 11:15 PM
They should just use this one:

kTBa0Ohwauc

E20
12-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Brent Barry's wife is fucking HOT.

bdictjames
12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Brent Barry's wife is fucking HOT.She wasn't all that on that particular commercial though. Proves to myself that some girls only look good on their makeup.

word
12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Well if any city could use a little help in this area it's San Antonio. People kill and abuse their kids here at an alarming rate. It's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here 5 years ago from reading the papers. Never seen anything like it. It's really tragic.

BacktoBasics
12-15-2007, 10:30 AM
It would be nice for once if someone bothered to address the real problem. People don't get angry enough and I'm tired of seeing people baby their children.

How about a commercial that says.....

If you're in public and your kid is loud, uncontrolable and obnoxious please feel free to smack the shit out of him/her in the appropriate bathroom.

SouthernFried
12-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Who pays for such ads? Are they freebies given by the local stations to meet the "you gotta do x amount for the community" requirements?

duncan228
12-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Who pays for such ads? Are they freebies given by the local stations to meet the "you gotta do x amount for the community" requirements?

I would think these would fall under Public Service Ads.
I think that everyone involved does it free. The stations, the players, whoever.
I'm not positive but that's my guess.

BacktoBasics
12-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah most of this stuff is done for free and its a write off for all who participate. Why do you think so many celebs and athletes do stuff like this. Charity is a huge tax savings.

Buddy Holly
12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Well if any city could use a little help in this area it's San Antonio. People kill and abuse their kids here at an alarming rate. It's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here 5 years ago from reading the papers. Never seen anything like it. It's really tragic.

Actually, the rate that children are abused or killed in SA is not as bad as you make it and is low compared to most cities and metropolitan areas. It's just that the San Antonio media has a greater focus on it.

remingtonbo2001
12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Actually, the rate that children are abused or killed in SA is not as bad as you make it and is low compared to most cities and metropolitan areas. It's just that the San Antonio media has a greater focus on it.

Maybe in quantity.

But in terms of percentage, it's significantly higher than other cities with comparable populations.

I lived in Seattle for 7 years and never heard about a father killing his children in such a violent fashion just to get back at his wife ( something that occured earlier this week).

Seriously, San Antonio has anger managment issues.
Maybe they should start handing out joints as a public service.
You never hear about potheads pullin' these stunts.
There too LAZY! :smokin

It's nice to hear some of guys speaking out against this.

Buddy Holly
12-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Sorry rem, that terrible crap sadly happens everywhere, even the Seattle area.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002098363_threedead23m.html

remingtonbo2001
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry rem, that terrible crap sadly happens everywhere, even the Seattle area.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002098363_threedead23m.html

I stand corrected...good find!

I guess the world is changing. I lived up there from 95-01.
Regardless, this shit is happening at an all too often rate.

remingtonbo2001
12-15-2007, 12:54 PM
However, I'm still going to stand by the assertion that a joint would be more effective.
I'm not saying public awareness isn't essential, but it's not going to change the mind of the person commiting the act.
A joint will at least subdue these feelings, to the point that either they:

A. Become severly lazy

B. Are severely distracted by the sensation of HUNGER

C. Become so depressed that they just do themselves in

It's a quick fix, until a better solution can be achieved.

Kori Ellis
12-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah most of this stuff is done for free and its a write off for all who participate. Why do you think so many celebs and athletes do stuff like this. Charity is a huge tax savings.

Well the reason the Barrys are involved isn't just about tax savings. They are very, very involved in the issue of child abuse.

Erin was a court-appointed special advocate and a juvenile court caseworker in Chicago and Seattle. Then she joined the executive committee of the state's Blue Ribbon Task Force here and started up various charity events in San Antonio.

Though some celebs/athletes might only do the charity stuff for a write-off, that's not why the Barrys are involved.

BacktoBasics
12-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Well the reason the Barrys are involved isn't just about tax savings. They are very, very involved in the issue of child abuse.

Erin was a court-appointed special advocate and a juvenile court caseworker in Chicago and Seattle. Then she joined the executive committee of the state's Blue Ribbon Task Force here and started up various charity events in San Antonio.

Though some celebs/athletes might only do the charity stuff for a write-off, that's not why the Barrys are involved.I'm sure some people actually care. I'm happy to hear its more on the caring end of things here. Its just not the norm.

ClingingMars
12-15-2007, 02:36 PM
The Spurs continue to prove why they are the classiest team in the league. Comparisons to the New England Patriots end at championships and efficiency.

-Mars

ploto
12-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Though some celebs/athletes might only do the charity stuff for a write-off, that's not why the Barrys are involved.
The Barrys had just moved to San Antonio- literally- and Erin was wondering how she was going to become involved in the city and that very night there was a story of the news about one of those awful cases where a child who had fallen through the child protective system was killed, and she knew.

TheAuthority
12-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Man, I bet Rick used to beat the shit out of Brent every time he missed a free-throw. That'll learn him.

AnotherArgie
12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Man, I bet Rick used to beat the shit out of Brent every time he missed a free-throw. That'll learn him.

:rollin

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-16-2007, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I found it funny that WOAI used "Brent Barry's Wife" as Erin's CG.