PDA

View Full Version : Vaughn imitates A.J.'s play, leadership

TMTTRIO
12-15-2007, 01:08 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121507.Spursadvance.en.278bba5.html
Spurs: Vaughn imitates A.J.'s play, leadership

Web Posted: 12/14/2007 11:38 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

Gregg Popovich looks at Jacque Vaughn, and if he squints just a little he sees Avery Johnson.

Vaughn, a point guard the Spurs signed in 2006 to back up Tony Parker, is nearly a physical carbon copy of Johnson, the Spurs' all-time leader in assists. Johnson now coaches the Dallas Mavericks and will have his Spurs No. 6 retired in a ceremony next weekend.

The similarities Popovich sees are more intangible than physical.

"Jacque's not the most talented guy," Popovich said, "but he's kind of like Avery (Johnson). He's a heck of a leader and understands the offense. People trust him. He'll tell people what to do and where to go. He'll have suggestions on the court. He's just a real pro."

Parker, a two-time All-Star, is likely to be sidelined for tonight's game against the Denver Nuggets at the AT&T Center, and perhaps a few more. So Vaughn has been thrust into a more prominent role for a Spurs team battling to halt its first losing streak of the season.

Popovich feels fortunate to have an 11-year veteran backup who understands both his shortcomings and his possibilities.

Vaughn, who came into the NBA in the same 1997 draft class that brought Duncan to the Spurs, has studied film of Johnson from his days running the Spurs. If there is a bit of "The Little General's" approach to his game, it is by design.

"I definitely have some comfort spots for my shots," he said. "I thought Avery was great at knowing where his shots were going to come from. He had those baseline shots and elbow shots. I've tried to concentrate on definitely making those automatic."

He has spent countless hours working on his perimeter shot with Spurs' shooting coach Chip Engelland. He went into Thursday's game, his first start of the season, having made 18 of 40 shots, a respectable 45 percent.

He wasn't happy with his results: 1-of-7 shooting and three assists in 19 minutes and 45 seconds of playing time.

"I had three of those (comfort zone shots) against the Lakers," Vaughn said. "I had two on the baseline and one from the elbow. Two went long and one rimmed out. Chip Engelland said they were great shots, and I'll take that."

To be fair, the Lakers recognized that with Tim Duncan out, they could hinder the Spurs' offense by packing the lane to stop perimeter players from penetrating to the basket. Manu Ginobili joined Vaughn in offensive frustration, missing 12 of 17 shots because his forays to the rim were limited.

"The Lakers were longer than I thought or gave them credit for," Vaughn said. "They were able to contain the lane, even after (7-foot center Andrew) Bynum was ejected. They made it tough for us. They definitely did a good job of that."

Starting for the Spurs presents a new challenge. He is used to watching from the bench as Parker probes the defense in the first quarter,

"I try not to approach the game differently, but sometimes I'm forced to," he said. "When I'm on the bench, for example, I'm able to see how they're playing pick and rolls; see what the weak side is doing. Then I can take advantage of that when I come into the game.

"As a starter, I'm the one experimenting, and then the guy behind me has the advantage."

Vaughn has been looking for offensive opportunities more aggressively this season. Popovich doesn't want him to defer to his teammates just because he is in the starting lineup.

"Since we got him last year he's picked spots on the floor," Popovich said. "People say he's not a shooter, and I hate to keep bringing up Avery, but Avery learned to shoot in that dead area on the baseline and at the elbows, and Jacque is doing the same thing. He's picked some spots on the court, and if he's there and he doesn't shoot it, I'm going to be on his behind."

Holt's Cat
12-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Pop's opened a few too many magnums lately.

ChumpDumper
12-15-2007, 01:16 AM
There goes another number up on the rafters.

timvp
12-15-2007, 01:24 AM
The only similarities between AJ and Vaughn is their lack of range on their shot and lack of pure basketball skills. However, in every area outside of maybe pure hustle AJ >>> Vaughn.

Vaughn is a probably a top five least talented players in the NBA right now. He gets by on hustle and smarts but if Pop didn't have a man crush on him, I'm not sure if he'd still be in the NBA.

whottt
12-15-2007, 02:41 AM
The only similarities between AJ and Vaughn is their lack of range on their shot and lack of pure basketball skills.

Don't insult Vaughn's shot like that.

However, in every area outside of maybe pure hustle AJ >>> Vaughn.

And defense....AJ would get lit up with regularity.

Vaughn is a probably a top five least talented players in the NBA right now. He gets by on hustle and smarts but if Pop didn't have a man crush on him, I'm not sure if he'd still be in the NBA.

AJ was more talented than Vaughn...without a doubt, especially as a passer and at finishing at the basket, but I think the comparison is a fairly valid one...except Vaughn's not as over-rated as AJ.

Other than that...they both achieved a higher spot in the Spurs rotation than they deserved based on actual ability...

mystargtr34
12-15-2007, 02:52 AM
There goes another number up on the rafters.

Exactly what i thought when i read the topic :lol