PDA

View Full Version : Keon Clark: ''I Never Played A Game Sober''

Pistons < Spurs
12-15-2007, 10:33 PM
An Illinois judge has tossed out a 2½-year prison sentence for former NBA player Keon Clark, saying he deserves a new hearing.

Clark, 32, of Danville, said in Vermilion County Circuit Court on Friday that he is an alcoholic and was drinking a half pint to a pint of gin daily when he was playing pro basketball.

"I never played a game sober, unfortunately," said Clark, who last played for the Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns.

Clark said in court that he started drinking in high school and, after he was drafted in the NBA by the Orlando Magic in 1998, he drank at games during halftime.

"It just never stopped," he said.

Judge Michael Clary ruled Clark should get a new sentencing hearing because he did not have legal representation when he was sentenced in absentia Oct. 10 on drug and weapons charges. A new sentencing date has not been set.

"A defendant has a right [to legal representation] at every stage of proceedings, unless they waive that right," Clary said. "There's no waiver by this defendant to not have a lawyer."

Clark was arrested Oct. 18 after U.S. Marshals got a tip that he was on a bus leaving Houston. He was arrested on several Illinois charges, including not having a firearm owner's identification card and possession of a controlled substance. He had been in Texas at a drug and alcohol rehab clinic, according to court records.

Clark's attorney, Tom Mellen, said Clark was finally facing his problems in Texas.

A message left Saturday for Mellen by the Associated Press was not immediately returned.

Clark remains in custody at the Vermilion County Jail.

Clark was originally drafted by the Orlando Magic in 1998, but was traded to the Denver Nuggets, where he played for three years. Clark also played for the Toronto Raptors and Sacramento Kings. He played two games for Utah before being traded to Phoenix in 2004.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49749/20071215/keon_clark_i_never_played_a_game_sober/

Hemotivo
12-15-2007, 11:51 PM
:toast

JamStone
12-15-2007, 11:52 PM
gin? what a sissy. at least drink whiskey.

Vinnie_Johnson
12-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Holly crap I have trouble typing much less playing ball drunk.

timvp
12-16-2007, 02:10 AM
I call BS. I could believe he was lit for every game. I can't believe he played drunk every game.

ShoogarBear
12-16-2007, 08:05 PM
What's your differentiation between "lit" and "drunk"? Remember, this is an alcoholic.

LakeShow
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I call BS. I could believe he was lit for every game. I can't believe he played drunk every game.

I agree. I call bulshit on that. It would be impossible for him to cover up a drinking problem but he can get high without detection anytime. I think he's using drunk for High!

slayermin
12-16-2007, 09:15 PM
No wonder he made Reggie Miller look fat.

Dex
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
What's your differentiation between "lit" and "drunk"? Remember, this is an alcoholic.

I always thought lit was more a pot-term, though I've heard it in both connotations.

Behrooz24
12-16-2007, 09:36 PM
:drunk should be :keon

ShoogarBear
12-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I always thought lit was more a pot-term, though I've heard it in both connotations.Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of it in the alcohol term.

Supergirl
12-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Alcoholism 101:
Alcoholics aren't (just) drinking to be drunk, they're (often) drinking to avoid going into withdrawal. So Clark could very well have been drinking every morning, and still playing, although obviously it would affect his ability to play WELL.

ArgSpursFan.
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Shit,there are probably hundred of thousands BB players(pro or not) who would give anything to play just one game in the NBA(including me :lol)
And this guy played all of them Drunk!!what a waste of talent.

balli
12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
gin? what a sissy. at least drink whiskey.

Here's the thing. Obviously whiskey is THE drink for a real man. Nevertheless, I'll pound whiskey all night, but I'm pretty sure if you gave me a shot of straight gin, I'd puke within about three seconds of swallowing. His pussiness all depends, in my mind, if he was mixing up delicious G&T's during halftime, or drinking that nasty filth straight up.

Also, being stoned doesn't really matter anyway, but I'd bet that about 50% of NBA players play high every night.

ancestron
12-17-2007, 12:07 PM
It seems like if guys were blazin up before games on a regular basis that would affect their lungs quite a bit and running wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. I just can't imagine playing stoned basketball at that level. Being drunk is a little more believable because it doesn't affect your lungs.

leemajors
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
gin with a dash of bitters is excellent!

SAtown
12-17-2007, 04:48 PM
How the hell did players/coaches not know about this?

Supergirl
12-17-2007, 05:41 PM
How the hell did players/coaches not know about this?

What makes you think they didn't?

Dre_7
12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Alcoholism 101:
Alcoholics aren't (just) drinking to be drunk, they're (often) drinking to avoid going into withdrawal. So Clark could very well have been drinking every morning, and still playing, although obviously it would affect his ability to play WELL.

Yeah thats what I am thinking. He said "I never played a game sober." That doesnt mean he was trashed or anything.

I have a few relatives that are alcoholics, and a lot of time they will have been drinking and you wouldnt even notice. Someone in my family would drink all day and you couldnt even tell. Then in the night he would do his HEAVY drinking and you could really tell lol.

Being "drunk" and being "not sober" are two different things. I can see if he was drinking throughout the day and still be able to play.

SAtown
12-17-2007, 06:07 PM
What makes you think they didn't?

If they knew, why would they still pay him to play?

z0sa
12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
i wonder how his nba cares events went ...

"kids, dont drink and drive, drink and play basketball and make millions!"

LakeShow
12-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Ok, I used the wrong words when I said, "Drunk" means "High". The proper thing to say is, "Drinking" means "Smoking". The thing about this he said that he was drinking during halftime. I know good and well that someone would have smelled gin, whether it was an opponent or his own team. I find it hard to believe that would go undetected.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-18-2007, 04:33 PM
^^^i rememebr a player in an interview (forgot which player and interview) saying he could smell alcohol on players suring games so it does go detected

LakeShow
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
^^^i rememebr a player in an interview (forgot which player and interview) saying he could smell alcohol on players suring games so it does go detected

Of course it does. So the NBA turns the other cheek when players drink during games? hmmm, maybe that's why we have an occasional outbreak of violence on the court. Drunk Players!

z0sa
12-18-2007, 08:11 PM
the only thing that doesn't make sense is ...

how do you shoot an nba three drunk?

Capt Bringdown
12-18-2007, 11:04 PM
I remember hearing a story about Vida Blue pitching a no-hitter on acid...now that must of been some trip!

Ronaldo McDonald
12-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Of course it does. So the NBA turns the other cheek when players drink during games? hmmm, maybe that's why we have an occasional outbreak of violence on the court. Drunk Players!

i suspect it's prolly from the night before for most players but u never know.

and the occasional outbreak of violence by players probably has more to do with the nature of the competition than alcohol...

ancestron
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I propose alcohol nights during the NBA season, where all players have to drink a shot and a beer when they check in/out, and when they foul.

LakeShow
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
i suspect it's prolly from the night before for most players but u never know.

and the occasional outbreak of violence by players probably has more to do with the nature of the competition than alcohol...

It's probably a combination of both.