PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Weakness

usckk
12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Judging the Spurs season thus far, the Spurs obvious weakness is defending the 3-point shot. If they controlled the other team's 3-point shooting, the Spurs won most of the time. For example, in the Sonics and Rockets game, the Spurs lost because they could not defend 3-point shooters--Allen and T-Mac. Further, the Suns yesterday could not shoot from beyond the arc and lost.

Sec24Row7
12-29-2004, 10:32 AM
T-Mac had a hand in his face every time he went up and shot a 3 in (4) that 35 seconds.

That loss was an act of God.

It will never happen again, ever.

We need to do better defending the Sonics (and did the second half here in SA)

T Park
12-29-2004, 10:35 AM
yeah throw out that Rockets game, that was a freak thing

If your forcing teams to shoot long outside jumpers, your defense is working.

Like Larry Brown said once, if they hit there jumpers, you can only throw your hands up and keep digging.

Solid D
12-29-2004, 10:57 AM
If teams opposing teams come in with a strategy of beating the Spurs from the arc...more power to them. I'll take that strategy every single time if I'm the Spurs. They just need to adjust for the long rebounds and loose balls, which they did not do versus the Sonics.

Nikos
12-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Teams that attack the offensive board and hit there 3's off pick and rolls give them the most trouble.

kskonn
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
yea I agree with most that is said. If a team can come in to a game and hit 40-50% of their threes, there is not to much you can do about that.

Jimcs50
12-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Teams that score more points than the Spurs give the Spurs the most trouble.

Supergirl
12-29-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree with what's been said here...in a 7 game series, you can count on 3 pters to stop falling (as they did for the Spurs last year) so if that's the only strategy you leave the other team with, you're in good shape - even if you have to take a few losses.

boutons
12-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I shudder to think what the game would have been like if the Suns had used their obvious abilities to play ANY defense (Sean was fairly and repetitively blunt about how bad was the Suns D), esp sagging in the paint, and/or run an effective zone, crippling Tim and Tony (like the Lakers last May), and leaving the Spurs trying to win shooting 26% from the arc.

I wonder what adjustments D'Antoni will make for the next 2 Spurs games? He ain't a fool. I figure he let the Suns go with what had worked so very well for them, until last night, and won't conclude that last night was an aberration or "bad night" and carry on with the same approach next Spurs game.

One thing I liked about the Suns was their taking the ball out of their basket and pushing it as hard, "old school", as if they had got a rebound or a steal. I'd love to see the Spurs do that. A useful alternative to get some transition points when the half-court offense is struggling.

Tony, Brent, Bruce, Manu, Beno can really push it, and Devin is great finisher, so let's be ready to push it after a basket.

ALVAREZ6
12-29-2004, 01:57 PM
The Houston game was just insane, no matter who was guarding McGrady, he was gonna drain them.

When T-Mac wants to hit 3's, he hits 3's. Last year he had that great 62 point game.

I don't understand how the Spurs' opponents hit a lot of 3's. With Manu, Bruce, and TP, the 3 point line should be covered well.

chezhcsetshonajezcho
12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
main spurs weakness is Rasho Neverscorevich. as long as Spurs will have this stiff, who is for the past ten years always full of promise and short on delivery, they will have problems in the paint. even Pop is realising that his golden Radosoft is not for real league.
really, was there ever a team that was really sorry that Rasho is gone?

Slo spurs fan
12-29-2004, 03:07 PM
^^ Is this Marcus Bryant in brand new uniform or what? :lol

pjjrfan
12-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Not concentrating on Defense is the Spurs weakness. All the losses have come because of lapses in their defensive game. Letting guys hit 3's, get offensive rebounds, getting caught out of position have been the major culprits in all their losses. The only game that really bothers me was the second Seatlle game, it was very uncharacteristic for our team to come out flat in what was an obvious big game. But since then they have responded against Det., Minn. and now the Suns.

boutons
12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
"second Seatlle game"

Not the entire game, just the second quarter lost that game, putting us down 19 at the half. We beat the Sonics solidly in the second half, but the hole was too deep.

smeagol
12-29-2004, 05:20 PM
main spurs weakness is Rasho Neverscorevich. As long as Spurs will have this stiff, who is for the past ten years always full of promise and short on delivery
Has he played for the last 10 years?

usckk
12-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Yes, if not very close.

chezhcsetshonajezcho
12-30-2004, 12:43 AM
^^ Is this Marcus Bryant in brand new uniform or what? :lol

i am not

and i dont think Rasho is a bad person or whatever. what riles me up is, that he is (was) a talent, that will never develop. several so so games, then nothing, a flash of brillance, then nothing, solid games, then dissapearance. no team needs such a yo-yo center, esp. a contender for ring. and all that talk about Rahsos new moves and shoots etc., it is too late, he is 28 years old, not a teenager to change himself dramatically. anyway they tried that with Rasho at other teams too, remember? does anyone remember a result of that (ask KG)

P.S. and no coach needs a player that has to be pepped or shouted at, every game, just to do what he is paid for.

Extra Stout
12-30-2004, 07:48 PM
I think the Spurs' weakness comes against teams who have both a sweet-shooting 2-guard and a tall, athletic, versatile small forward. If Bruce Bowen guards the former, the latter has a huge mismatch, while if Bruce guards the latter, he's giving up too much size to be effective without help.

angel_luv
12-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Okay, I have had enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, you guys are way too harsh. You criticize Rasho ( or whoever) for not fulfilling his role for the team, but what about you? You're a fan...supposedly.
Why not do your job ( i.e. show all the Spurs a little faith and support) and leave the analyzing to the professionals?

ALVAREZ6
12-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Okay, I have had enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, you guys are way too harsh. You criticize Rasho ( or whoever) for not fulfilling his role for the team, but what about you? You're a fan...supposedly.
Why not do your job ( i.e. show all the Spurs a little faith and support) and leave the analyzing to the professionals?
we hate rasho.

lol, j/k

angel_luv
12-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Lalalalala... I'm not listening Alvie! =)

ALVAREZ6
12-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Lalalalala... I'm not listening Alvie! =)
You obviously did.
:smokin :hat :drunk

angel_luv
12-30-2004, 09:24 PM
=)

Disharmony
12-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Judging the Spurs season thus far, the Spurs obvious weakness is defending the 3-point shot. If they controlled the other team's 3-point shooting, the Spurs won most of the time. For example, in the Sonics and Rockets game, the Spurs lost because they could not defend 3-point shooters--Allen and T-Mac. Further, the Suns yesterday could not shoot from beyond the arc and lost.

Forcing the opponent to shoot 3-pointers is a good thing and I believe SA is on the top of the rankings on defending that, I could be wrong though, I'm too lazy to dig for it right now.

To me, SA doesn't really have any huge weaknesses other than the fact that around the 3rd Quarter they occassionally tend to get into cold spells that allow the opponent to crawl right back into the game.