PDA

View Full Version : who will not be in a spurs jersey next season?

debo
12-16-2007, 12:09 PM
come next season, who will not be here?

And who do you hope wont be back?

Dex
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Elson.

I think the guy has proven he's not going to prove anybody wrong.

BonnerDynasty
12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Finley.
Vaughn.
Horry.
Elson if Mahinmi is ready.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Anyone who's satisfied with less than 6 rings :fro

SAGambler
12-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Finley.
Vaughn.
Horry.

That's the list all right. All of them should be gone.

ricketts
12-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Finley.
Vaughn.
Horry.

you nailed it. but who do we bring in to replace Horry. everyone else on that list i can do without. we need a large defensive player though.

SenorSpur
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Finley.
Vaughn.
Horry.

Don't forget about Barry. After all, his contract expires at the end of the season.

urunobili
12-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Don't forget about Barry. After all, his contract expires at the end of the season.
i think he'll be back for veteran's minimum... and horry.. i don;t think he's ready to retire from this team even with a new ring

Bruno
I think Vaughn will be back.
Horry, Barry and Finley could retire.
Elson being back will depend on Mahinmi and on what Elson does this year.
Washington won't be back if he doesn't improve his PG skills in Austin.

ricketts

if he keeps contributing like he has been, doesnt get injured and feels like he can play another season or two he'll be back.

Guajalote
12-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Guys like Barry, Finley, and Horry will always have a place on a team as long as they want it. On a team with a talented big, they are invaluable with their outside shooting and threat to drive.

SenorSpur
12-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Guys like Barry, Finley, and Horry will always have a place on a team as long as they want it. On a team with a talented big, they are invaluable with their outside shooting and threat to drive.

True. But they cannot keep both Barry and Finley. They MUST replace one or the other. We already seen evidence where the Spurs are being exposed at this position when they go against teams who have at least one or more players at this position, who are younger, quicker and more athletic. Sure Bowen guards the opposition's best player, but that's not enough - and obviously he's not getting any younger either. Let's not even discuss the effects of back-to-back games on an older team.

We're all hoping the Spurs pull off the ever-elusive back-to-back championship. However, they're living on borrowed time. They cannot afford to keep putting this off. They MUST get younger and more athletic at the 2-3 spot. There will be some FA swingmen that will fill one of those spots next year.

exstatic
12-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Nothing depends on Mahinmi. Splitter will be here to replace one big next year, and it will probably be Horry. I think Fin is gone, too, and Elson, who I'm not sure offers any more than Ian in terms of poise and intuition.

ChumpDumper
12-16-2007, 01:50 PM
I think Horry and Finley are gone, maybe Barry though I wouldn't mind keeping him for the vet min if he wanted to stay. Elson? Depends on his asking price and the availability of other players. It may be cheaper to keep him especially if the spending priorities are for swingmen. Vaughn stays -- hopefully Darius gets to the level to challenge him for the backup spot.

SenorSpur
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I think Horry and Finley are gone, maybe Barry though I wouldn't mind keeping him for the vet min if he wanted to stay. Elson? Depends on his asking price and the availability of other players. It may be cheaper to keep him especially if the spending priorities are for swingmen. Vaughn stays -- hopefully Darius gets to the level to challenge him for the backup spot.

Their spending priorities had BETTER BE on SWINGMEN.

El_Mago
12-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I think Vaughn has a two year deal.

Barry mentioned a while back this could be his last...especially if they win the ring....I expect him to be gone.

Fin Dog.....gone....retires...

Horry...definitely gone....retires....

Elson, depends on Mahinmi and Splitter.....

Darius Washington.....his chances will be better than James White...and depends on he does at Summer League.

ShoogarBear
12-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Horry
Finley

Kobe
LeBron
Carmelo
Wilt

this could get pretty long

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 04:33 PM
:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Most definitely Horry and Elson.
About 50/50 Finley.
Barry will either retire or rejoin us. Hopefully he rejoins.
If the Spurs think Washington is good enough to handle the backup spot all on his own by the time next season comes around, then Vaughn is gone too.

Texas_Ranger
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Elson & Finley

Darkwaters
12-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Heres how I see it. The listed % is their probablity of NOT suiting up in silver and gold next year.

Jacque Vaughn - 30%

Vaughn comes about as cheap as a veteran PG can possibly come. He'll have two full years of time in the system (playing significant minutes) and is as good of an end of the bench or border-line IR guy as you can get. He knows what to do and does it well enough at minimum wage. The ideal situation would be to keep him as the 3rd guard.

Darius Washington - 40%

This number might be a little high for Darius. Pop seems to be pretty high on him and he is absolutely shining in the D-League. But players like Washington sometimes have a short life-span in this organization (ahem, James White!) and his development in the D-League might not be up to par with what the Spurs wanted. Considering the way Washington found his way onto the team (that being, completely unexpectedly), it is not far fetched to think that the Spurs had a young international PG in mind for this upcoming draft. Also, Washington only signed a one year contract apparently, so it is also possible that HE walks (however unlikely if the Spurs offer at least a respectable contract).

Michael Finley - 50%

Finley has a couple of options open to him at the end of the year. He could resign, sign elsewhere or retire. All are very possible. Despite some poor performances at times, Finley obviously still has something in the tank left. That leads me to believe that if he gets a reasonable offer and is offered a respectable role he would stick around. Pop obviously thinks Finley has value, and if he chips in enough throughout the season and playoffs I think the Spurs might toss him an offer. Of course, somebody else might throw him a better one, and with two rings already (yes, he'll have two :king ) he might just want to go out with a bigger bang. Who knows?

Brent Barry - 65%

Barry's situation is going to depend largely on Finley's. I think only one (if any) of these two returns next year. If Finley hangs it up or leaves, then Barry's chance of returning skyrockets. If Finley lays an egg through the rest of the season (and Barry keeps playing great) then Barry might get preference. But at this point in time, I see Finley as more likely to be returned. Still, a vet min contract could easily entice him to play another season

Ime Udoka - 15%

Following a year in the Stephen Jackson School of Basketball, and on a cheap contract, it seems that Udoka has little chance of being cut. Also, the fact that he fills a position of major need adds to that idea. Still, if Udoka shows little promise after a year then the Spurs may decide to part ways, however doubtful.

Francisco Elson - 95%

At this point I really think there are a select few things that might allow Elson to remain a Spur next year.

1) Elson makes a deal with the devil and learns the Spurs rotations.
2) Spurs land a bigname non-post free agent and cannot afford anybody BUT Elson and his diminishing value.
3) Tiago Splitter has a tragic motorcycle accident and is never expected to walk again.
4) Oberto denounces basketball to tour with Led Zeppelin.

If none of these things happen then I imagine hes a goner. He has done few things to encourage a resigning. In fact, I think he very easily could be a casaulty of the trade deadline if an opportunity presents itself.

Southwest Texas Fan
12-17-2007, 12:53 AM

I wonder if Barry would be brought back for the vet minimum. He is playing with alot more confidence and is almost automatic from beyond the arc.

AFBlue
12-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Tough to say....

I could see a scenario where the Spurs only lose Horry and offer a bunch of cheap one or two-year deals to the others.

I could also see a scenario where the Spurs only return Vaughn and decide to refresh the "role players". Bonner and Udoka would be counted on to step their games up in this scenario.

I think DW has the percentages down pretty good. That is to say I think Elson is the most likely to go and that at least one of the two swingmen (my guess would be Fin) are likely to go as well.

As of right now I'd say....

Finley, Horry, and Elson will be gone.

Starting Five: Parker, Udoka, Bowen, Duncan, Oberto

Bench: Ginobili, Vaughn, Washington, Barry, FA F/C, FA G/F, Splitter/Mahinmi

T Park
12-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Elson will be replaced by Splitter.

Finley might retire. I can see him coming back for 1 more year.

Horry is gone.

Brent Barry will be back. He doesn't plan on retireing, at least thats what he said at the Season Ticket holder party.

"I plan on playing another three years, I don't understand where the papers got the 1 more year crap"

Direct quote from one Brent Barry.

kuato
12-17-2007, 02:25 AM
you nailed it. but who do we bring in to replace Horry. everyone else on that list i can do without. we need a large defensive player though.
Herrmann !!!

Darkwaters
12-17-2007, 02:29 AM
Herrmann !!!

I'd be interested in him if the price were right.

Ocotillo
12-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't think Finley is thinking about retiring just yet. When he has one of those good games every now and then, I think in his mind it convinces him to play next year. Pop likes the guys too.

If the Spurs get a back to back, it would be interesting to see if Fin wants to cash in and go to the highest bidder or if he would take a modest contract to stay a Spur.

AFBlue
12-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't think Finley is thinking about retiring just yet. When he has one of those good games every now and then, I think in his mind it convinces him to play next year. Pop likes the guys too.

If the Spurs get a back to back, it would be interesting to see if Fin wants to cash in and go to the highest bidder or if he would take a modest contract to stay a Spur.

Fin got what he came for....a ring.

Anything after that is just icing on the cake. Still, I think his days for "cashing in" are over. If the Spurs make a one or two-year deal for similar money, you'd have to think he'd take it.

Having said that, I wonder if the Spurs will make that offer....

On the plus side, Finley still plays passable defense and more importantly, he is currently the only Spurs wing player big/strong enough to play and defend the 4 spot in small-ball situation.

On the minus side, one has to wonder whether Finley's defense will maintain as he is putting more and more mileage on already worn tires. If his defense is lacking it draws more attention to his ever-streakier shooting.

Bottom Line: Finley is a bit of an enigma at the moment.

I can't decide whether he'll be motivated to come back after acheiving his goal of winning a ring. Moreover, I wonder if the Spurs will be motivated to bring him back, or go with a younger swingman option that can play the small-ball 4.

I'd say the chances are 50-50 right now.

Darkwaters
12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Actually, if we win a back-to-back this year then I'm sure Finley will want to be a part of this team again next year. There haven't been many 3-peats, and I doubt Finley ever thought in his wildest dreams HE could be part of one. If you already have two in the bag, and maintain the core of those two teams, then I think Finley will take whatever is necessary to give it a shot of a double repeat.

I mean, for the guy that wanted a ring more than anything, you have to think that the prospect of a 3-peat would be simply too much to pass by.

AFBlue
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Actually, if we win a back-to-back this year then I'm sure Finley will want to be a part of this team again next year. There haven't been many 3-peats, and I doubt Finley ever thought in his wildest dreams HE could be part of one. If you already have two in the bag, and maintain the core of those two teams, then I think Finley will take whatever is necessary to give it a shot of a double repeat.

I mean, for the guy that wanted a ring more than anything, you have to think that the prospect of a 3-peat would be simply too much to pass by.

That sounds fairly logical. I would actually go a step further and say that repeating would change the philosophy of the Spurs FO when it comes to this off-season.

My guess is if the Spurs repeat, the FO will be more likely to retain their role players on one or two-year deals rather than letting some of those guys walk/retire and bringing in young, fresh blood.

Darkwaters
12-17-2007, 01:27 PM
That sounds fairly logical. I would actually go a step further and say that repeating would change the philosophy of the Spurs FO when it comes to this off-season.

My guess is if the Spurs repeat, the FO will be more likely to retain their role players on one or two-year deals rather than letting some of those guys walk/retire and bringing in young, fresh blood.

Agreed. It would be interesting to see if Horry would be intent on taking a shot at another 3-peat or if he'd simply hang it up. Elson would probably still be gone in lieu of Splitter's arrival. If Udoka was ready for a good chunk of rotational minutes at that time then one of either Barry or Finley would probably be replaced by a more developmental player. But I can see the majority of the roster remaining unchanged beyond those few that I mentioned. The 3 draft picks would probably all be draft n' stash foreigners, requiring no financial or roster obligation. Still, thats a nice amount of youth on the team (Washington, Mahinmi, Splitter, developmental wing plus the foreign "farm" players) to look towards the future with.

MoSpur
12-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Horry
Finley

Kobe
LeBron
Carmelo
Wilt

this could get pretty long

:lmao

Shoog's responses are the best.

loveforthegame
12-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Finley seems pretty happy and comfortable here. I could see him playing another year or two in limited minutes/role.

He's got money so I don't see him cashing in even if there is a team out there willing to do so.

If the Spurs are not interested in bringing him back then only 2 teams I see him playing for. Chicago or Dallas.

dmac
12-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Heres how I see it. The listed % is their probablity of NOT suiting up in silver and gold next year.

who wears silver and gold?

Supergirl
12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
I have no idea why we are thnking about this NOW...but....

If Finley and Horry don't retire (they might) then they will be back for the vet min

Barry will be back - players like him (spot up shooters) can play until their late 30's because it's not as hard on them. But he might retire too. If not, he'll be back.

I expect Elson to be gone, with Mahinmi and Splitter coming in. Splitter will spend most of the year in the D-league but Mahinmi will probably get some good minutes behind Oberto.

Udoka and Bonner are coming along nicely and will get more minutes and be better adjusted to the Spurs system.

Obviously, Parker, Manu and Duncan are all back. Bowen will be back if he doesn't retire.

MrChug
12-17-2007, 05:58 PM
...but who do we bring in to replace Horry...

Isn't that GENERALLY the role Bonner is supposed to fill?

kuato
12-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Isn't that GENERALLY the role Bonner is supposed to fill?
Herrmann please !!!! :P

dg7md
12-21-2007, 08:31 PM
who wears silver and gold?

Wizards?

Brodie Bruce
12-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Manu