PDA

View Full Version : Who has an ego?

tp2021
12-16-2007, 05:25 PM
sure, we spurs fans pride ourselve in the way our guys play and act like a true team, but in reality, do any of our players actually have large egos? would any of our players opt to bolt for more cash if they have a breakout season? tony might be one of those, but i sure hope not...

Darkwaters
12-16-2007, 05:27 PM
If you read the recent D-League article then apparently Marcus Williams has a D-League sized one.

exstatic
12-16-2007, 05:52 PM
sure, we spurs fans pride ourselve in the way our guys play and act like a true team, but in reality, do any of our players actually have large egos? would any of our players opt to bolt for more cash if they have a breakout season? tony might be one of those, but i sure hope not...
Leaving for cash doesn't denote a big ego to me. Tony's already taken a less than MAX deal once. To expect it twice is probably too much. This next contract will be his final big one. He'll be 28, and if the Spurs won't pay, then he leaves. It won't be about staying and taking a lesser deal to keep the team together, either. The first year of his possible new deal will be the final year of Tim's extension.

timvp
12-16-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't think anyone on the team has a big ego if you are considering the negative connotation. Some players have big egos but they aren't damaging. Duncan knows he's a great player. Parker believes in himself, which let him be able to handle Pop's tirades. Manu always wants the ball in money time.

Plus almost everyone on the team has taken less money at some point to play for the Spurs:

-Duncan left $11M on the table.
-Parker and Ginobili signed at or below market value instead of truly testing free agency.
-Bowen has consistently taken less. He's even given up money at some points for the betterment of the team.
-Horry passed on a bigger deal from the Mavs to stay.
-Barry passed on bigger money from Seattle, Portland and maybe a couple other teams.
-Finley turned down more money from Miami.
-Oberto waited for the Spurs when the Grizzlies were trying to sign him while the Spurs figured out the Scola situation.
-Mahinmi signed for the lowest possible amount allowed under the collective bargaining agreement.

A team with an ego problem doesn't leave millions on the table to play together. And I don't see any huge contract issues down the line.

Darkwaters
12-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Leaving for cash doesn't denote a big ego to me. Tony's already taken a less than MAX deal once. To expect it twice is probably too much. This next contract will be his final big one. He'll be 28, and if the Spurs won't pay, then he leaves. It won't be about staying and taking a lesser deal to keep the team together, either. The first year of his possible new deal will be the final year of Tim's extension.

But I don't think it's ridiculous for Tony to want more money. Hes proven hes worth it. Hes producing with the elite PGs in the league. Now, I stand that there are only 3-4 players in the whole league that deserve a true MAX contract, but Tony definitely warrants a serious raise.

Still, I don't think thats ego.

exstatic
12-16-2007, 07:06 PM
But I don't think it's ridiculous for Tony to want more money. Hes proven hes worth it. Hes producing with the elite PGs in the league. Now, I stand that there are only 3-4 players in the whole league that deserve a true MAX contract, but Tony definitely warrants a serious raise.

Still, I don't think thats ego.
We're agreeing, but I'm not sure you understand that. I don't think that if Tony were to leave for money that it's an "ego" thing. He left money on the table the last time, about $20M below the MAX. I checked his draft year, and Gasol got 6 years/$86M and Tony took 6 years/$66M. You only have two big contracts in the NBA after your rookie deal, if you're lucky and healthy and a high profile player. Tony will be looking for that second contract at age 28, and will get paid. It may or may not be the Spurs that pay him. To me, if he's looking out for his financial future, that's NOTHING like Starbury forcing his way out of Minny because he wasn't "the man".

E20
12-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Last edited by Kori Ellis : Today at 06:25 PM.
Hmmm........ Is this really Timvp? I'm starting to believe that Kori Ellis = Timvp. I don't like this.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 08:29 PM
-Barry passed on bigger money from Seattle, Portland and maybe a couple other teams.

I believe Golden State was another team.

timmy21_4rings
12-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Hmmm........ Is this really Timvp? I'm starting to believe that Kori Ellis = Timvp. I don't like this.

Either this or Kori has permission to edit the contents of others. If it is second, it is not good.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Either this or Kori has permission to edit the contents of others. If it is second, it is not good.

Kori can do anything and everything on this site.
She owns it.
And that's very good.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 09:01 PM
If it is second, it is not good.
How so?
It's not as if she changed the entire post.
Maybe it was just a grammatical or factual error.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 09:02 PM
The ego question came up in the Parker/Mahinmi interview thread that Bruno posted.
Some of my thoughts from there, plus some.

I think all NBA players have an ego.
All pro athletes and rock stars too.

My issue with the ego is not that they have it, but how they manage it.

That's part of why I'm such a Duncan fan. As the most decorated active player, with the Spurs last 10 years being called the "Duncan Era," I can only imagine the ego he has. But we don't see it. He's humble, he's quiet, he lets his game speak for him. He never pushes for the individual accolades, only for the wins for his team.

Having said that, I believe the Spurs have proven to be a "check your ego at the door" team.
Pop has said many times that players that succeed on the Spurs have "gotten over themselves."

It's never been said that they don't have egos. They just know how to keep their ego in check for what's best for the team.
And that includes being reasonable when it comes to money. Do you want more money to feed your ego? Do you want to be the "man" on a team to feed your ego?

Or do you want to win? As part of a team where everyone is on the same page.

The Spurs have proven this to a man.
At least the ones that have been successful here have.

timmy21_4rings
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
She owns it.
And that's very good.

It is like misusing trust.

Just because of you work for someone, they can not do anything for u. Heard about harassment?

Just because of your friend is inviting you and your spouse to his house does not mean that he owns you. Do not be stupid..

We are talking about editing one's content without the approval of another.

Just because of you have an account with a bank, they can not take steal your money. Think about it before you talk..

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 09:50 PM
And what exactly does any of that have to do with a simple mistake on a sports website?
Especially considering one doing it to her own husband?

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:01 PM
It is like misusing trust.

Just because of you work for someone, they can not do anything for u. Heard about harassment?

Just because of your friend is inviting you and your spouse to his house does not mean that he owns you. Do not be stupid..

We are talking about editing one's content without the approval of another.

Just because of you have an account with a bank, they can not take steal your money. Think about it before you talk..

She owns the site.
She sets the rules.
It's not a democracy.
You're not paying a fee to be here.
She's paying to keep the site up and ad free.
This site has more freedom than any message board I've seen.
If Kori feels she needs to edit something, more power to her.
She rarely does it, it's usually to get rid of foul, obnoxious, offensive behavior.
Things that protect the integrity of her board for all of us.

In this case she edited her husband's post.
I'm sure he had no problem with it.

I have no problem with how she runs this board.
If you do, don't hang around.

Tippecanoe
12-16-2007, 10:04 PM

kori, you seriously need to set up some kinda donation system

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 10:08 PM
If need be, then :tu :tu :tu.
I'd be willing to pay.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:10 PM

It's been brought up many times.
There are a lot of us that would happily contribute to help her keep the site the way she does.

I once found a link to a paypal that you could donate through but when I tried to find it again I couldn't.
It was well buried, I found it just clicking on things on the site I hadn't clicked on before.
But I can't find it now, I'm not sure if it still exists.

Kori has never asked posters to pay.

timmy21_4rings
12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
She owns the site.
She sets the rules.
It's not a democracy.
You're not paying a fee to be here.
This site has more freedom than any message board I've seen.
If Kori feels she needs to edit something, more power to her.
She rarely does it, it's usually to get rid of foul, obnoxious, offensive behavior.
Things that protect the integrity of her board for all of us.

In this case she edited her husband's post.
I'm sure he had no problem with it.

I have no problem with how she runs this board.
If you do, don't hang around.

You must be the stupidest guy I have ever encountered. You have no sense of any logic. starting with democracy...You have no right to tell me not to hang around. Who gave you the right? You do not run it...It is run by Kori.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
You must be the stupidest guy I have ever encountered. You have no sense of any logic. starting with democracy...You have no right to tell me not to hang around. Who gave you the right? You do not run it...It is run by Kori.

I didn't tell you not to hang around.
I said if you don't like it don't hang around.

And read again: SpursTalk is not a democracy.
Give me a minute, I'll bring you Kori's quote on that.

Tippecanoe
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
You must be the stupidest guy I have ever encountered.

never gets old :lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
:lmao

Dex
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I smells pwnage a'comin.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Last page of this thread. The last post, it's a locked thread.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1959743#post1959743

And this is a privately owned message board, no one has ever said that "freedom of speech without consequence" exists here.
You might also want to read the terms of SpursTalk.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:18 PM

:lmao
I've started counting again!

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:22 PM
It is run by Kori.

Looks like you answered it yourself anyway.

Kori owns it, runs it, rules it.
And I'm thrilled she does.
You don't have to be, but it's the way we roll around here.

timmy21_4rings
I didn't tell you not to hang around.
I said if you don't like it don't hang around.

Please understand you do not have any right to tell me this even if I do not like to hang around.

I really appreciate lot of stuff Kori has done to Spurs Forum and must be the one to donate if she set up an account/fund.

ATX Spur
Seriously though, why do people just assume duncan228 is male? It's uncanny.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Seriously though, why do people just assume duncan228 is male? It's uncanny.

I sure don't know.
If anyone reads my posts about Duncan they either have to know I'm a woman or they like the idea of man love. :lol

anakha
12-16-2007, 10:26 PM
The lesson here?

If in doubt, always go for gender-neutral references or pronouns.

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:28 PM
I really appreciate lot of stuff Kori has done to Spurs Forum and must be the one to donate if she set up an account/fund.

Then why would it bother you that she can edit posts to keep her site the way you like it?

If you'd be willing to donate I assume you do like it here.
Kori is the one that sets the tone. She made ST what it is.
However she does that I respect. Because I love it here.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Umm ... I edited his typo and told him I was doing it. He's my husband.

What a freak you are.

Tippecanoe
12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
kori has arrived :worthy:

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
:lol

Dex
12-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I sure don't know.
If anyone reads my posts about Duncan they either have to know I'm a woman or they like the idea of man love. :lol

I think it's a combination of the Username, and the pictures of Duncan for both the avatar and sig.

I do understand....it's all out of love for big Tim.

But every time someone sees you post, there are three immediately male references there, even if they are just for Timmy D.

Its probably just some lazy psychology going on here. And I probably fell for it at one point in time.

If you were to put like...a unicorn or something in the sig, maybe even a little pink, I bet people would start to get it. But you shouldn't have to change for everyone else. Besides, what else would you keep tally of then?

Tippecanoe
12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
I think it's a combination of the Username, and the pictures of Duncan for both the avatar and sig.

But every time someone sees you post, there are three immediately male references there, even if they are for Timmy D.

Its probably just some lazy psychology going on here. And I probably fell for it at one point in time.

If you were to put like...a unicorn or something in the sig, maybe even a little pink, I bet people would start to get it. But you shouldn't have to change for everyone else. Besides, what else would you keep tally of then?

and plus the fact that the vast majority of this board is male. gosh, the only other female posters that i can think of are kori, spurswoman, angel luv, rashofan, and ploto (??)

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:41 PM

But every time someone sees you post, there are three immediately male references there, even if they are just for Timmy D.

I'm not changing my avatar or my sig. And if I do it will just be pics of him I like better.

I find it weird that pics of a man in my avatar and sig would make people think I'm a man.

Besides, it's fun now. It never bothered me, I rarely even corrected people. Kori fixed it for me but, obviously, it's still happening. A lot!

And along with the "he" references, I now keep tally of the Poster Of The Year results. A task I loved and assume I'll do again next year.
So I count all the time! :lol

duncan228
12-16-2007, 10:45 PM
and plus the fact that the vast majority of this board is male. gosh, the only other female posters that i can think of are kori, spurswoman, angel luv, rashofan, and ploto (??)

There are lots of women posters here.
Shelly, spurschick, easjer, Summers, mrs. maalox, inagra, SpursFanFirst, and many more.
But the majority are men. (I assume! You never can tell! :lol)

exstatic
12-16-2007, 11:47 PM

What a freak you are.
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the fact that timvp was your hubby. I guess the "I'm editing your post" thing goes hand in hand with the "you're moving your shit out of the closet and down the hall" thing when you tie the knot. :lmao

Darkwaters
12-17-2007, 12:47 AM
How so?
It's not as if she changed the entire post.
Maybe it was just a grammatical or factual error.

She changed some grammatical mistakes. The word "passed" was actually spelled "past" on two seperate occasions. That has been adjusted.

Duncanoypi
12-17-2007, 02:02 AM

What a freak you are.

Kori has arrived and ready for the pawnage!

Kori is clutch! :king :hungry:

Kori Ellis
12-17-2007, 02:10 AM
She changed some grammatical mistakes. The word "passed" was actually spelled "past" on two seperate occasions. That has been adjusted.

Exactly. I told LJ - hey, you wrote "past" instead of "passed" twice, so I'm going to change it. He said, "Cool."

End of story.

Then I go take a nap and when I wake up there's some outrage because I changed it :lol

But even if it was a different circumstance and I edited or deleted someone's post for content, it happens so got damn rarely and I'm so lenient. So it shouldn't matter. I would think that I would get some respect to the fact that I'm not power tripping or anything.

Oh well.

Weird thread.

Darkwaters
12-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Exactly. I told LJ - hey, you wrote "past" instead of "passed" twice, so I'm going to change it. He said, "Cool."

End of story.

Then I go take a nap and when I wake up there's some outrage because I changed it :lol

But even if it was a different circumstance and I edited or deleted someone's post for content, it happens so got damn rarely and I'm so lenient. So it shouldn't matter. I would think that I would get some respect to the fact that I'm not power tripping or anything.

Oh well.

Weird thread.

It's cool. I got your back. :smokin

Kori Ellis
12-17-2007, 02:12 AM
It's cool. I got your back. :smokin

Thanks. :hat

greens
12-17-2007, 03:53 AM
There are lots of women posters here.
Shelly, spurschick, easjer, Summers, mrs. maalox, inagra, SpursFanFirst, and many more.
But the majority are men. (I assume! You never can tell! :lol)

I'm a female poster too...I don't know if you can see my siggy...lol. But I had to specify that a few times...due to my username, which actually stands for something else and not even my name...But I guess I can see why people would assume that I'm a male poster due to "greenleo"...the ending, leo part that is...

And yup there is plenty of poster confusion on this forum with who is a female poster or a male poster...I've seen female posters being referred to as "dude" or "bro" by other posters...lol.

timvp
12-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Why was my post edited? :madrun

:stirpot:

greens
12-17-2007, 04:48 AM
:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2007, 04:50 AM
2 full pages because Kori edited her husband's typo...

scintillating stuff!

ShoogarBear
12-17-2007, 06:16 AM
2 full pages because Kori edited her husband's typo...

scintillating stuff!No, scintillating stuff would be what would happen if LJ tried to edit any of Kori's posts. :lol

Kori Ellis
12-17-2007, 06:27 AM
No, scintillating stuff would be what would happen if LJ tried to edit any of Kori's posts. :lol

He has edited me once before because he said I was being too mean :lol

travis2
12-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, it looks like at least one person in this thread has an ego...:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2007, 11:08 AM
No, scintillating stuff would be what would happen if LJ tried to edit any of Kori's posts. :lol:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2007, 11:09 AM
He has edited me once before because he said I was being too mean :lolNotice how it was once before... and probably not likely to happen again :lol

RonMexico
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Parker probably has a French-sized ego...

E20
12-17-2007, 01:51 PM

End of story.

Oh well.

Weird thread.
All thanks to me. :smokin :fro

ploto
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I find it weird that pics of a man in my avatar and sig would make people think I'm a man.

Besides, it's fun now. It never bothered me, I rarely even corrected people. Kori fixed it for me but, obviously, it's still happening. A lot!

People thought I was male for a long time- some still do. I do not correct posters because once some found out I am a woman their whole tone to me completely changed.

ploto
12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
As to the thread, ALL NBA players have an ego of some sort.

duncan228
12-17-2007, 03:40 PM
People thought I was male for a long time- some still do. I do not correct posters because once some found out I am a woman their whole tone to me completely changed.

There can be a change when it's discovered you're a woman and they think they've been talking to a man. I find most people here are okay though. They tend to focus on the topic rather than the gender of who's posting.

I rarely correct anyone, it happens so much to me I usually just let it go.
But now there are lots of people who know it and get a kick out of it when I get called a guy. It brings a laugh whenever it happens now.

Shelly
12-17-2007, 06:54 PM
There can be a change when it's discovered you're a woman and they think they've been talking to a man. I find most people here are okay though. They tend to focus on the topic rather than the gender of who's posting.

I rarely correct anyone, it happens so much to me I usually just let it go.
But now there are lots of people who know it and get a kick out of it when I get called a guy. It brings a laugh whenever it happens now.

I think you need to put, "I am woman, hear me roar! Beyotch" or something of that ilk in your signature.

E20
12-17-2007, 07:02 PM
So.......Shelly what's up with me and you? :eyebrows

SpurOutofTownFan
12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
She owns it.
And that's very good.

Oh BTW so you guys know, I'm Kori's adopted son.

tp2021
12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
jesus...i had a thought and decided to share it...i honestly didnt think that many people would even dignify it with replies, kind of like my last thread. i check a day later, and BAM! drama. is this a great board or what?