PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: No Apologies Await Nash, Suns

Strike
12-17-2007, 01:20 PM
From the San Antonio Express News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121707.SpursHorry.en.29a9d93.html)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/wdejesus79/fight2.jpg
Web Posted: 12/16/2007 11:13 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News staff writer

It has been eight months since Steve Nash went hurtling into the scorer's table at the AT&T Center, which precipitated the suspension of two of his own teammates for a key playoff game against the Spurs, which in turn changed the complexion of last May's Western Conference finals, which in turn sent all of the greater Phoenix area into a tizzy of wailing and teeth gnashing.

Eight months has not been nearly enough time to heal the hurt that incident wrought.

It turns out Robert Horry is still pretty shaken up by the whole thing.

He was suspended for two games for launching the hip check heard 'round the NBA world.

"And I should have only gotten a one-game suspension," the Spurs forward maintains still.

Tonight, the Phoenix Suns return to San Antonio for the first time since that contentious semifinal series, one that Phoenix fans still howl Horry irrevocably altered with a well-timed shot to Nash in Game 4.

If the Suns have come to collect an Horry apology, they are sure to be leaving town empty-handed.

"I'm from the old school," an unrepentant Horry said Sunday. "When I came into the league, it was no blood, no flagrant foul. That (on Nash) was just a hard foul."

The most famous foul in either franchise's history was indeed bloodless and indeed hard. It came as the Suns were running out the clock on a decisive Game 4 victory on the Spurs' home floor, one that had deadlocked the series at 2-2 heading back to Phoenix.

Nash came dribbling up the sideline. Horry slid over — meaning, he says, to draw a charge — and wound up pinballing the Suns' All-Star point guard into the scorer's table. It would be Horry's last act in the series.

In the mini melee that followed, two prominent Suns — Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw — wandered away from their bench, an infraction for which NBA rules prescribe an automatic one-game suspension.

Shorthanded, the Suns dropped Game 5 in Phoenix to lose series momentum, then dropped Game 6 at the AT&T Center to lose the series altogether.

After the finale, the Suns wondered aloud what might have been if not for the Game 5 suspensions.

For many fans nationwide, Horry's hit on Nash became the enduring snapshot of last year's playoffs. The foul — and the fallout — at once transformed Horry into a black-hatted NBA villain, and nudged the Spurs-Suns rivalry from friendly toward cantankerous.

"Lots of people think lots of different things, depending on who you are rooting for," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "All of us wish there were no suspensions, that's for sure. It has to have an effect on a team."

At the time, Nash deemed the NBA's ruling to suspend his teammates "stupid."

Eight months later, Nash's rhetoric has softened some. He even seems to have forgiven the man who made all the pandemonium possible.

"I have nothing against Robert at all," Nash said Sunday.

Meanwhile, Horry says he still hasn't seen video of the hit. And he still hasn't completely gotten over its ugly aftermath.

What irks him most is the lingering assumption that the Spurs would not have gone on to win their fourth title if he hadn't inadvertently sabotaged the Suns in Game 5.

Many fans — most of them from the Phoenix area code — still believe the Spurs should have presented NBA commissioner David Stern with a championship ring at the start of this season, instead of vice versa.

"I'm tired of these people who don't play basketball saying if (the hit) wouldn't have happened, the outcome would have been different," Horry said. "If they were so smart and knew what the outcome was going to be, they'd all be in (Las) Vegas betting and be millionaires."

Translation: No, Horry is not sorry for his fateful hip check.

The closest he came Sunday to offering a Nash-related mea culpa was this: "Tell Steve I'm sorry I missed his charity event this summer."

To which Nash replied, tongue firmly in cheek: "Well, now I am mad at him."

RonMexico
12-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Phoenix has 3 area codes.

BonnerDynasty
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Love Horry.

He should do it again TONIGHT.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Phoenix has 3 area codes.interesting :rolleyes

samikeyp
12-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Nash isn't a little bitch about it, too bad some of his fans are.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2007, 01:52 PM
My brother who lives in AZ said that Phoenix sports radio talked about the Horry hit all summer and into the fall.

In my opinion this endless whining represents a losers mentality, rather than just brushing it off and moving forward.

Heck, if the Suns would have been that much better than the Spurs perhaps they'd of done better than going 2-3 in the five games that both teams had full rosters.

samikeyp
12-17-2007, 02:04 PM
My brother who lives in AZ said that Phoenix sports radio talked about the Horry hit all summer and into the fall.

Nice to now its just Spurs fans who are "obsessed" with that.

[/shred]

easjer
12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I didn't like the opening, which implied that the hipcheck was responsible for the suspensions, and not the player's own actions.

And I agree with Horry that he should only have been suspended for one game (given the other punishments, or lack thereof, in other CSF series). I also agree that I'm tired of the assumptions made about the rest of the series.

In fact, not worth rehashing. It is worth noting that Steve Nash's attitude has changed and softened, and that's great. I used to be a big Nash fan - probably my favorite non-Spur. I was so happy for him when he won MVP the first time. By the end of the WCSF series this past summer, I really despised him and his attitude. Disappointment and bitterness, even feeling robbed, I can understand that. And his attitude seems to have mellowed and gained some perspective - we could probably all use that.

703 Spurz
12-17-2007, 02:34 PM

In my opinion this endless whining represents a losers mentality, rather than just brushing it off and moving forward.

Heck, if the Suns would have been that much better than the Spurs perhaps they'd of done better than going 2-3 in the five games that both teams had full rosters.

Well it isn't like they have dick else to talk about there. Cardinals and Coyotes suck

da_suns_fan
12-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Well it isn't like they have dick else to talk about there. Cardinals and Coyotes suck

What a dumbass.

There's the Diamondbacks too assclown. They made it to the NLCS last summer.

San Antonio doesn't even have a sucky football or hockey team. They have to envy ours. :lol

Armando
12-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Well alot of what Suns fans felt was frustration more then anything. The Suns tied up the series and it turns into a costly victory. If even if the Suns had eliminated the Spurs we still Utah to deal with it. I know is the regular season but Utah took 3 out of 4 games last year from Phoenix. So even beating the Spurs did not mean an automatic trip to the Finals.

txstr1986
12-17-2007, 03:26 PM
What a dumbass.

There's the Diamondbacks too assclown. They made it to the NLCS last summer.

San Antonio doesn't even have a sucky football or hockey team. They have to envy ours. :lol

Many Spurs fans (like me) are diehard fans of the Dallas Cowboys, so I wouldn't say that they "envy" your so aptly put "sucky football" team. And its Texas, dumbass, do think we actually care that San Antonio doesn't have an NHL team? I'm perfectly content with having the Stars in Dallas.

I get the feeling that you're the one who's filled with envy. Know why? FOUR RINGS BITCH!!!!

Sportcamper
12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Nash is a great player who doe not whine...But you just know that Horry is going to do it again.... (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/16/sports/16suns.1.600.jpg)

Stargazer
12-17-2007, 04:53 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how defensive SA is about the series. The title and tone of the article is all about how the Spurs aren't going to apologize for Horry's conduct, no matter how much Nash or the Suns want them to, etc., etc.

Meanwhile, the only actual quote from Nash in the article is that he doesn't want an apology and has nothing against Horry.

samikeyp
12-17-2007, 05:03 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how defensive SA is about the series. The title and tone of the article is all about how the Spurs aren't going to apologize for Horry's conduct, no matter how much Nash or the Suns want them to, etc., etc.

Meanwhile, the only actual quote from Nash in the article is that he doesn't want an apology and has nothing against Horry.

Two members of the Spurs were quoted. Popovich and Horry. Pop said that he wished there were no suspensions and Horry said he what he said....how does that make the whole team defensive? Its sounds more like the reporter trying to :stirpot: than anything. I am sure the players just want to concentrate on the game.

polandprzem
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Phoenix has 3 area codes.

Nash, Amare, Boris

ricketts
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
What a dumbass.

There's the Diamondbacks too assclown.

wow, you really do feel bitter dont you. i havent heard assclown since like seventh grade. keep the good stuf coming.

ancestron
12-17-2007, 05:55 PM
yeah assclown became asshat like 4 years ago

Obstructed_View
12-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Since the article was written by someone who thinks that foul was the most famous in Spurs history, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

RonMexico
12-17-2007, 06:57 PM
It's really no big deal. It's a hype machine for tonight's game. Like the matchup of the two best teams in the West needs any extra juice.

Stupid Hornets.