PDA

View Full Version : Today's Kids Can't Open Milk Cartons

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-29-2004, 11:55 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-milk29.html

School milk carton giving way to bottle

December 29, 2004

BY J.M. HIRSCH

Yet another familiar school-days object may be going the way of the inkwell and the slide rule.

Encouraged by a milk industry study that shows children drink more dairy when it comes in round plastic bottles, a growing number of schools are ditching those clumsy paper half-pint cartons many of us grew up with.

Already more than 1,250 schools have switched to single-serving bottles. While that is still a tiny fraction of the nation's schools, it is a significant jump from 2000, when there were none, according to the National Dairy Council.

Allegedly hard to handle

''Those ... square containers are awfully hard for kids,'' says New Hampshire Agriculture Commissioner Steve Taylor, who has watched the trend spread to some 320 schools in New England. ''Teachers say you can spend the whole lunch period just walking around and opening those containers.''

While the growing use of bottles in schools can partly be attributed to ease -- educators say plastic caps are easier for children to open, and round bottles fit better in their hands -- marketing savvy deserves at least as much credit.

Several years ago the milk industry decided its boxes were not visually competitive when sold alongside the relatively sexy bottles of juice and soda increasingly common in schools.

As funny as this sounds - I agree with the part about spending your whole time opening cartons.

When I worked at an elementary school, I couldn't go a few minutes without a child asking me to open their milk for them.

E20
12-29-2004, 01:10 PM
They are hard. Everytime I try to open one up the whole friggen thing opens up so I have to dump the carton out.

LuvBones
12-29-2004, 01:23 PM
I wish my elementary had those milk cartons. We had these plastic bags that looked like mini-pillows and you had to just stab your straw through it... those sucked!! Most of the time my straw went through the whole bag and I would have to throw it away.

Taco
12-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Got Milk?!?!?

manustarting2gd
12-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Who has the most LECHE?

Guru of Nothing
12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
I Hate Milk!!

T Park
12-29-2004, 10:26 PM
if you cant open a milk carton.

Your gonna have a job with your name sewn on your shirt.

Guru of Nothing
12-29-2004, 10:46 PM
if you cant open a milk carton.

Your gonna have a job with your name sewn on your shirt.

Chances are, their name will be stitched without any spelling errors, so long as you are not the one doing the stitching.

GoldToe
12-30-2004, 10:25 AM
What the hell is wrong with today's kids?

When I was a young lad and we had our milk break I'd have my chocolate milk carton open in no time. I think it's sexy. Pull out, push in and your in!

T Park
12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Chances are, their name will be stitched without any spelling errors, so long as you are not the one doing the stitching.

Thank you for your insightfull banter once again, Mr Professor.

NeoConIV
12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Got Milk?!?!?

http://whymilk.com/ad_downloads/zhang_ziyi_l.jpg

CommanderMcBragg
12-30-2004, 11:03 AM
No wonder kids are becoming lazier and lazier.