PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Notebook: Suns try to emulate Spurs defensively

some_user86
12-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Notebook: Suns try to emulate Spurs defensively

Web Posted: 12/18/2007 12:18 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

The Phoenix Suns all say their goal is to get where the Spurs already have been: to the NBA championship.
Now they're even trying to emulate the Spurs' formula for success.

"It was a good defensive battle," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said after his team's 100-95 victory over the Spurs on Monday night at the AT&T Center. "I like saying that."

D'Antoni's coaching philosophy always has emphasized fast-paced offense, and he sometimes makes light of his team's defensive deficiencies. But he was kidding in the level after his team preserved its victory with defensive stops in crunch time.

"I joke around a little bit," he said, "but we're not bad (defensively). We just have to keep intense on defense. Our rotations were better tonight. Boris (Diaw) got in there, and Brian (Skinner) did a great job on Timmy (Duncan)."

Steve Nash, the Suns' two-time Most Valuable Player point guard, said the key to the defense was simple: effort.

"Well, we're capable (of playing good defense)," Nash said. "The numbers won't show it because we're not consistent, but when we're motivated and active and playing with the intensity that the game deserves and our team should provide, then we're a really good defensive team. We just have to work on our consistency."

Injury updates: Tony Parker, the Spurs' All-Star point guard, missed his third-straight game and isn't likely to play in Memphis on Wednesday night either.

Parker sprained his left ankle Nov. 30. He played four games with the injury but sat out against the Lakers and Denver Nuggets after the injury began affecting his performance.

"The first game possible is probably Saturday against the Clippers," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's just got an inflammation. I don't want to play, and he comes right back, and he's got the same problem again. I want to leave him out long enough that the thing has a chance to heal."

Backup center Francisco Elson, who sprained his left ankle late in the Spurs' victory Saturday over Denver, also sat out Monday. Depending on how he responds at today's practice session, he could return for the Memphis game.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121807.04D.BKNspurs.notebook.2ec130b.html

carina_gino20
12-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Boris (Diaw) got in there, and Brian (Skinner) did a great job on Timmy (Duncan)."

:lmao :lmao

SAGambler
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
:lmao :lmao

Guess he is trying to make them forget he got rid of the only guy they had that could really affect Duncan....

da_suns_fan
12-18-2007, 11:06 AM
How effective was Duncan against Skinner?

Read the Rosen article..he breaks it down.