PDA

View Full Version : Stein: In This Rivalry, Hill Elevates Suns' Hoop IQ

some_user86
12-18-2007, 04:04 AM
SAN ANTONIO -- The Phoenix Suns still have a Tim Duncan problem. They still have banner envy and those deeply sour memories from the 2007 playoffs, too.

The Suns, furthermore, have to be honest about everything that happened when last season's two best teams hooked up for the first time this season. They inflicted the San Antonio Spurs' first home defeat, true, but the hosts weren't whole.

The objective conclusion Monday night? It's too early to say we've seen any sort of shift in the NBA's saltiest rivalry. The Suns didn't try to dispute that conclusion, either, not even after unexpectedly producing the better crunch-time defense in a 100-95 triumph.

However …

You have to give Phoenix this right away: If Grant Hill hadn't already erased most of the skepticism about how he'd fit in with the run-and-gunners, this performance had to.

Hill can't guard Duncan, no. Nor will Hill be checking Tony Parker when these teams meet next, assuming Parker is healthy enough to play. On this night, though, you noticed all the little things that Hill does add to the Suns more than you pined for Parker's (or fellow absentee Francisco Elson's) presence.

"I think it makes their basketball IQ go up," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of the Hill acquisition, "and it helps 'em defensively also."

You'll recall that there were considerable doubts when Hill was signed in the summer that his legs and limited shooting range could work for Phoenix offensively That's the same Hill who, at 35, made an impact all over the floor here, delivering an efficient 22 points, seven boards and three blocks in just under 32 minutes … highlighted by a sneaky, timely weak-side swat on Duncan inside that helped swing the late momentum to the Suns.

Yet Hill was already convinced that he made the right free-agent choice by picking the Suns over the Spurs. He was convinced long before the Suns managed to limit Duncan to 12 points in the second half, two points in the final 7:21 and 36 overall, when it looked initially like TD might rumble for 50 on that sore knee and ankle.

"For me, the last seven years have been nothing but skepticism when you mentioned my name," Hill said, referring to the myriad foot problems that have haunted him since his summer-of-2000 move from Detroit to Orlando. "So I understand it."

"But with my game? I think I can fit in anywhere."

That naturally includes San Antonio, which was a tempting option after Duncan and Hill so nearly teamed up with the Magic at the start of this millennium. They're longtime friends who share an agent (Lon Babby) and even took their recruiting trip to Orlando together.

Hill, however, ultimately opted for the team that has never won it all … and met with Popovich briefly Monday so both could say "no hard feelings." He concluded that helping the Suns end their four-decade title drought -- and helping them narrow the IQ and maturity gap with San Antonio -- would be more rewarding than joining the Spurs' bid to repeat as champs for the first time.

"It was kind of like when I first got to Duke," Hill said. "They had gotten close, but hadn't won. This team is close."

As for believing he could make the sort of difference seen Monday, Hill added: "I got an ego, yeah."

Hill extends the analogy to compare Suns vs. Spurs to yesteryear's Blue Devils vs. Tar Heels, at a time when only Carolina could call itself a proven champion. The Suns need every bit of self-belief and poise they can muster to invalidate that comparison, which is one reason they're so grateful to have Hill now. (Another, of course, is the fact that he's averaging nearly 16 points on 50-percent shooting for a mere $3.8 million this season and next.)

Making his debut in this rivalry -- "I'm the rookie," he insisted -- Hill surprised Duncan with his block when the game was tied at 88-88, calmly sank a clutch go-ahead jumper with 39.8 seconds left and earned himself a trip to the line for two big free throws after pulling in the rebound on Bruce Bowen's errant 3-pointer from the corner. Throw in an unlikely late steal from Boris Diaw when an out-of-sorts Manu Ginobili (18 points on 6-for-19 shooting) seemed certain to dribble by -- "My one steal per season," Hill quoted Diaw as saying -- and just enough second-half resistance in the post from Diaw, Brian Skinner and Amare Stoudemire against Duncan and suddenly San Antonio is 13-1 at the AT&T Center.

"We were doing the ol' rope-a-dope … trying to get him tired," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni joked of Duncan scoring 24 virtually unopposed points in the first half. "I don't want to take away too much because he's just coming off an injury, but I thought we did a better job."

In the second half? The Suns did do a bit better nudging Duncan farther off the block, while Stoudemire made his presence felt at the finish with a big dunk and bigger offensive rebound and free throws after Duncan dominated for so long.

Yet there would be no crowing from the victorious visitors. Especially not from D'Antoni, who left little doubt why at the morning shootaround, hours before tipoff. "See those things they got up there?" D'Antoni said, pointing to San Antonio's four championship banners.

And afterward?

"It's only December," D'Antoni cautioned. "If we meet up with them later on [in the playoffs], it'll be two different teams again."

But Hill is clearly part of the story now … health permitting.

"That's 25 games in a row," Hill said. "I haven't done that since I was in Detroit. I don't even know if I did that in Detroit."

--
Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

--
LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-071218

Capt Bringdown
12-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Great pickup for the Suns.

wildbill2u
12-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Saw Hill featured on NBA show Sunday on ABC. It's hard not to like this guy and hope he does well.

Just not against the Spurs.

mystargtr34
12-18-2007, 07:08 AM
G.Hill is a class act... and i must admit im surprised at how easily he has fit into that team. Are they better than last year's team with Kurt Thomas... its hard to say.. Hill gives them alot.... time will tell.

TDMVPDPOY
12-18-2007, 07:39 AM
how is he a class act?

magic ask him to retire so his bogust contract gets off there books when he was still with the orlando magic....

101A
12-18-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't think anybody has questioned how good Grant Hill is when he is not in street clothes.

I also don't think people were skeptical about him probably being available in December.

ArgSpursFan.
12-18-2007, 08:56 AM
how is he a class act?

magic ask him to retire so his bogust contract gets off there books when he was still with the orlando magic....

Ok,why don't you put yourself in his shoes though?
the guy spent almost half of his career injured and now that He's healthy they want him to retire???
The only mistake He made was to sign with The Suns, He should´ve sign eather with the Spurs or Pistons to have a shot at winning an NBA title before He retires.

Obstructed_View
12-18-2007, 09:15 AM
The guy spent almost half of his career injured while being paid a nine figure salary for it. Poor guy.

da_suns_fan
12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I don't think anybody has questioned how good Grant Hill is when he is not in street clothes.

I also don't think people were skeptical about him probably being available in December.

You must be new.

Budkin
12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Hill is a good guy but he hasn't made it through a whole regular season since 2000. It's only December so we'll see what's going on come May.

TwoHandJam
12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
This story has "train wreck" written all over it. I like Hill and wish him well but with D'Antoni playing him 35mpg you have to feel uneasy about his chances at making the playoffs healthy.

If anything last night showed me the Suns interior is weaker than ever. I think they've regressed somewhat overall. Hill adds another dimension to their game but it's mostly offense, not the defense they sorely need come playoff time.

If Hill can produce like last night with a healthy Parker creating havoc and Bowen draped over him like a bad smell, then I'll consider him an upgrade. Until then, the jury is out on this pickup being more than a sideways move in my mind.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
If Hill is even healthy enough to play in the post-season, he won't be a difference maker should we meet.

da_suns_fan
12-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Wishful thinking.

Spurs fans are scared.

ArgSpursFan.
12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
The guy spent almost half of his career injured while being paid a nine figure salary for it. Poor guy.

Fuck the Magics. Hill worth every penny they paid him,and injuries can happen to anybody,not just him. That's a right that any pro athlet has, to get paid even when injuried.
Too bad He chooced the Suns though,He should've been smarter .

OldDirtMcGirt
12-18-2007, 03:16 PM
G.Hill is a class act... and i must admit im surprised at how easily he has fit into that team. Are they better than last year's team with Kurt Thomas... its hard to say.. Hill gives them alot.... time will tell.

When D'Antoni played him, I thought that Brian Skinner did a decent job. Alot of people (Suns fans included) overrate Kurt Thomas. He's a great guy and everything, but it's not like he even came close to stopping Duncan. All he does is play physically and makes Duncan work hard for every basket.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
This story has "train wreck" written all over it. I like Hill and wish him well but with D'Antoni playing him 35mpg you have to feel uneasy about his chances at making the playoffs healthy.

If anything last night showed me the Suns interior is weaker than ever. I think they've regressed somewhat overall. Hill adds another dimension to their game but it's mostly offense, not the defense they sorely need come playoff time.

If Hill can produce like last night with a healthy Parker creating havoc and Bowen draped over him like a bad smell, then I'll consider him an upgrade. Until then, the jury is out on this pickup being more than a sideways move in my mind.

I'm honestly starting to believe that the problem with Grant's injury was the long practices. That's probably the reason he chose Phoenix over San Antonio. Not to say I'd rather have him playing ~30 minutes, but he's put together his longest string of healthy games in forever, so there definitely is hope.

Also, while everybody seems to say that our problem is defensively, in the past we also had trouble with the Spurs and other teams that could slow it down because we had problems executing our offense in the half court. That's Hill's specialty, and one of the reasons why we're playing at a slower pace this year.

As for Bowen, I still think that San Antonio should put him on Nash. You got to put your best defender on the other team's best player (as long as there isn't a crazy size advantage), and Bowen is clearly the best in the league at defending Nash.

TwoHandJam
12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm honestly starting to believe that the problem with Grant's injury was the long practices. That's probably the reason he chose Phoenix over San Antonio. Not to say I'd rather have him playing ~30 minutes, but he's put together his longest string of healthy games in forever, so there definitely is hope.

It's encouraging but D'Antoni's short rotations throughout the grind of the regular season are a wear on healthy players without a history of injury. Never mind someone with the track record of Hill.

Also, while everybody seems to say that our problem is defensively, in the past we also had trouble with the Spurs and other teams that could slow it down because we had problems executing our offense in the half court. That's Hill's specialty, and one of the reasons why we're playing at a slower pace this year. D'Antoni's changed the pace of the entire offence to suit Hill? Don't know about that one. Regardless, the Suns will never beat the Spurs at the halfcourt game even if they've improved because that's their specialty and has been for years. The Suns just need more of a defensive focus. Had they kept Thomas while also signing Hill, I'd have been worried.

As for Bowen, I still think that San Antonio should put him on Nash. You got to put your best defender on the other team's best player (as long as there isn't a crazy size advantage), and Bowen is clearly the best in the league at defending Nash.Bowen usually spends significant time on Marion and often makes him a non-factor. He traditionally only covers Nash in endgame situations. With a healthy Parker, Bowen and Manu can split time on Hill and should render him less effective than we saw last night.

Obstructed_View
12-18-2007, 08:43 PM
one of the reasons why we're playing at a slower pace this year.
Looks like they are averaging two more shots per game than they did last year. How is that a slower pace?

OldDirtMcGirt
12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Looks like they are averaging two more shots per game than they did last year. How is that a slower pace?

Well we're still running teams out of the gym, but our offense is definitely different. I probably should've rephrased what I said. Grant Hill gives us a lot more versatility on offense, rather than completely going cold when our jumpshot doesn't fall, he can create his own shot and distribute. Our three shooting has gone down.

Against Utah and San Antonio, we didn't run that much, and we played a lot of half court, and *gasp* defense. Nice to see for a change, although I still don't trust Amare and our rebounding blows ass. We have a chance, but not a very good one IMO.

FvckMavs
12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
It is not because you don't want to run, but we know how to slow you down.

Rummpd
12-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Whoopee for Hill - fact is Suns better be worried as Parker and Duncan on floor together will kill em.

Obstructed_View
12-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Our three shooting has gone down.
By less than one shot per game since last year. Statistically, not having James Jones on the roster accounts for three attempts per game by itself. The only difference in the offense is that Grant can go one on one and get a decent shot without having Nash on the floor. The Suns haven't had anyone that can do that since Diaw's game went in the toilet last year. The Suns defense has improved somewhat due to the fact that Nash has dialed back the flopping. It should keep him healthy for more of the season as well. I'm not ready to call them a good defensive team because they were able to get a steal against a guy everybody knew was going to have the ball making a move everybody knew he was going to make.

Rummpd
12-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Five teams in West to fear more than the Suns without K. Thomas:

1. Mavs
2. Rockets would be a scary seventh or eighth seed.
3. Denver talented and perhaps one day that dumb coach won't hold them back.
4. Golden State they believe they can play with anyone
5. Lakers improving daily.

Hell add a 6th in Utah they won't stink all season and Deron Williams is stronger against Spurs than Nash by far.

Suns remain soft and Duncan and Parker on floor will kill this version of the Kings light.

Holt's Cat
12-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Hill would've been a nice addition this year. He definitely fit the Spur profile. Not surprising they made a run at him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-19-2007, 12:22 PM
The media is praying that the Suns can overtake the Spurs.

Banking that Grant Hill will be healthy through an 82 game season and the playoffs is fool's gold. Grant has averaged 34 games played per season since the '97-'98 campaign. Since the '99-'00 season he's appeared in an average of 29. I'd be shocked if he can make it through 100 or so this year. I'd be happy for Grant because you never want to see someone suffer with injuries...but shocked just the same. Phoenix better have a Plan B.

spursfan09
12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Wishful thinking.

Spurs fans are scared.

Oh yeah so scared. Barely beating us without our star point guard really makes me worry.

Dave McNulla
12-19-2007, 12:45 PM
healthy hill or not, i like the spurs chances against the suns.

duh suns fan, you can wish all you want. it ain't happening.

Obstructed_View
12-19-2007, 05:32 PM
The Suns were a bigger threat to the Spurs when they had Marbury.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah so scared. Barely beating us without our star point guard really makes me worry.

So the Spurs would've beaten the Suns had they had Parker playing, but the Suns wouldn't have beaten San Antonio without Amare and Diaw?

td4mvp21
12-19-2007, 06:36 PM
So the Spurs would've beaten the Suns had they had Parker playing, but the Suns wouldn't have beaten San Antonio without Amare and Diaw?

Yup.

:lol In all seriousness, no one knows whether we would have won with Parker. No one knows whether the Suns would have won with Amare and Diaw.

Obstructed_View
12-19-2007, 07:05 PM
The difference is that Parker could have played if the coach had wanted it to happen.