PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni's comments on Beno

Kori Ellis
12-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Udrih played for D’Antoni’s old team in Milan, Italy, but never made much of an impression.

"To be honest, they didn’t talk great about him," D’Antoni said. "I am surprised he’s doing so well and he is so good. He was injured and a little bit overweight over there. He’s turned into a nice player."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=33849

emveepee
12-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Beno is a great bargain PG for the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
12-29-2004, 06:05 PM
I had never heard that Beno was overweight/out of shape over there, just injured.

Slo spurs fan
12-29-2004, 06:07 PM
That's new for me too. :wow

Jimcs50
12-29-2004, 06:18 PM
That is just him getting away from any criticism for missing a chance to draft him.

smeagol
12-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Fat and full of acne.

That must suck! :lol

SLOVENIAN 8
12-29-2004, 06:24 PM
overweight over there

Never!

BigVee
12-29-2004, 06:27 PM
I could see him blowing up a little if he was hurt and inactive. It seems possible.

pjjrfan
12-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Well he's got game now, and his court vision is awesome. Plus he is a smart savvy player who does things well and covers up his weaknesses by not doing stupid things out on the court.

Spurbanana
12-30-2004, 02:29 AM
Too much good Italian food ;)

Slomo
12-30-2004, 05:10 AM
Too much good Italian food ;)
:lol

They were criticism of Beno during his playing in Italy that were true and deserved but this overweight thing simply isn't.

fonzy16
12-30-2004, 05:12 AM
Yeah, he went on the diet over the summer, lost 30-40 pounds. :)

HIP HOOPERS
12-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Beno was overweight when Greg Ostertag was MVP of the league....NEVER!!! Beno was only "searching himself" through the first couples of games in Italy, but when he got his game... People in Milano promised him everything if he would come back, they even said that they would change the coach if he wasn't happy with him... That's what's probably bothering D'Antoni...

SLOVENIAN 8
12-30-2004, 06:13 AM
Are you the member of Hip Hoopers? The world champs.

http://www.hiphoopers.com

Yesterday you were in MB in Slovenian All Star 2004! Dobra predstava.

Great videos: http://www.hiphoopers.com/video_eng.html

coachtf
12-30-2004, 08:20 AM
I had heard that Beno was always injured and that he was unable to practice. Alot of times guys get that injury bug and are never able to escape the critics. The greatest revenge is success and Beno can let his play speak for him. He is doing a fine job.

Taco
12-30-2004, 08:25 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~slayermin/rasho_block.gif

I like this!!! :lol

chezhcsetshonajezcho
12-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Beno had a bad luck streak: Israeli coach, that preferred another player over him, after that Russian team that did not pay him and after that Italian team, that at first did not appreaciate him and later was offended as Beno did not stay with them. If you go to internet and google you will not find any connection between Beno and overweight.

P.S. Probably D'Antoni thinks that MVP Beno got as a rookie means Most Voluptuous Piggy :-)))

SequSpur
12-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Again, nobody, noone, not a soul could expect that an unknown rookie kid from Slovenia could come in an be an effective NBA point guard.

As far as I am concerned, Beno hasn't done shit yet. You earn your fame in the playoffs.

Knowing how important the backup guard position was in last year's playoffs and many years before that. I am not hanging my cash, my hope, my fanmanship on any scrub point guard from Slovenia that happens to hit wide open jumpshots when unguarded or makes a few crispy neat passes in November and December of an NBA season.

I still can't believe that Greg Popovich has another young point guard coming off the bench to backup young Tony Parker. Obviously the Pop tool still doesn't have the playoffs figured out.

There are many veterans out there that could come in when Parker goes out and run a half court set in the playoffs. That is what playoff basketball is......... half court...

I don't see Beno being effective in a half court set, sorry. His ass will get punished.

The Spurs still need a backup point guard.

GrandeDavid
12-30-2004, 01:33 PM
What D'Antoni meant to say was Beno was little bit phat. "Overweight" is simply reverse slang.

SequSpur
12-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Dantoni doesn't impress me at all. Trying to the run on the Spurs was stupid. If he continues this philosophy, the Suns won't make it out of the first round.

Defense.

Karl Mundt
12-30-2004, 02:54 PM
The glass is always half full for you isn't it Sequ? I bet you brighten up the room when you come in.

Zmaj
12-30-2004, 02:55 PM
The Spurs need a reserve point guard?

Hmm, let's check the status of PG's right now:
starting - Tony Parker
1. back-up - Beno Udrih
2. back-up - Brent Barry (potential PG)
3. back-up - Mike Wilks

And you want another one? You'd make a great manager Sequ :elephant

Oh and if a player hasn't proven himself in the playoffs he ain't worth nothing? That's the "smartest" thing I've heard in a while. I guess Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, D. Howard, Okafor and a bunch of other (older as well) players who never played in the playoffs aren't worth shit? I guess we should simply call off the draft and have only experienced 35yo+ players play for the Spurs or those who have proven themselves in the playoffs.
I wonder what you'll say if/when SA wins the championship and Rasho gets a ring. I guess he'll be you hero forever

You're funny... :lol

About Beno:
I am a bit surprised to see him play this well, although I knew he's got the potential. He just needs to keep developing his skills and get more experience and I'm sure he'll be a starter material in a couple of seasons (as a few already mentioned).

SequSpur
12-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Mentioning Beno and Lebron James within the same post is against forum rules.

Zmaj
12-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Mentioning you should be against forum rules

SequSpur
12-30-2004, 03:20 PM
This is the problem with most of you so called Spurs fans.

Anything in black and silver to you seems perfect.

The Spurs have lost more chances at a championship than they have won. Do you get that?

Looking back at the reasons why... I would guess that it centers around the point guard position.

Avery Johnson never led them to anything until the ultimate combo of Duncan and Robinson was added.

Then the Spurs dumped him and went to Parker and went stagnant for a few more years.

They brought in the tandem of Parker, Kerr and Claxton and it became a cakewalk again...

Then the Spurs were incapable of keeping that core together and signed Rasho, Carter, Heal, Ward, etc. etc. and were sent home packing by a team going through a rape trial.

Now, the Spurs are weighing their backup guard plans on Wilks and Beno. I am not impressed with the acquisitions. Sorry.

As for Barry playing any minutes at point guard.... Dude is suddenly becoming a prime candidate to be the captain of the ir squad.

Is there a problem with me not liking the Beno/Rasho double package? I don't think so, I think they both suck.

Spurbanana
12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately, you think everybody sucks.

Zmaj
12-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Everyone seems perfect for Spurs fans? That's BS, cause the moment someone isn't doing that good of a job, tons of hate threads open (with the exception of Duncan). When someone is doing good the opposite happens of course... What I'm saying is, the love span of a lot of Spur fans is usually very short. But even if the fans were unconditionally in love with the team and the players, why blame them? Afterall SA is doing a superb job at the moment.

The Spurs lost more chances than they won? Would a chance be defined as getting into the playoffs or getting into the final, cause a chance (for me) is getting to the final and not only making the playoffs.

The fact is that Beno has done a great job so far, much more than anyone thought he was capable of in his rookie season (including a few Slovenians).

SequSpur
12-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Put Beno on a bad team without a player like Tim Duncan and he would've been waived before he got to training camp.

angel_luv
12-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Hehe it centers around the point guard position. LOL

I think Beno is great. I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

Zmaj
12-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Put Beno on a bad team without a player like Tim Duncan and he would've been waived before he got to training camp.
Right...

I think it's quite clear he would make any NBA team's roster (let alone training camp). I even dare to say that he could become the starting PG for some.