PDA

View Full Version : Chris Duel 'ROCKS!'

mouse
12-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Anyone who heard todays show on 550AM KTSA will tell you the man was all over the Erica Smith story of a young woman with a will to survive and live suffered two long hours under a cold yellow tarp declared legally dead but knowing in her mind at soul she just wanted to live as she fought ever minute all 120 of them.

Not only did Chris Duel call out the Fire Chief aka Captain I don't give shit Charles Hood for his cold as ice rude comments, but he also wept on live radio........ and I also thinking about that poor girl...............that girl deserves an apology at the very least. And Chris Duel deserves radio host of the year

2007!

http://cdn.dayport.com/woaiimg/img/dp_thumbs/thumb_1197938892304_0p6831380257066464.jpg

mouse
12-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Links for the out of country folks like Slomo and RuffNNotReady

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=8efdeeb9-4a35-437d-a249-5f4e4707b46e

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=v0X&q=san+antonio+woman+dies+fire+chief&btnG=Search

mouse
12-19-2007, 02:11 AM
http://a686.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/12/l_15a1b4fbe590eaef853fa9455a7272ed.jpg

Smackie Chan
12-19-2007, 02:14 AM
I will tune in to see if he keep this story fresh!
rack the Duel!

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 02:14 AM
The quote from Hood about not apologizing because they weren't driving the car is horrible.

I didn't hear Chris' show, but I'm not surprised of his intensity. He's one of the most passionate people in radio when he believes in something. Props to Chris and condolences to the girl's family.

It will be interesting to see if they charge the drunk driver with killing her. Who knows if she would have died if treated right away.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-19-2007, 02:15 AM
The quote from Hood about not apologizing because they weren't driving the car is horrible.

I didn't hear Chris' show, but I'm not surprised of his intensity. He's one of the most passionate people in radio when he believes in something. Props to Chris and condolences to the girl's family.

It will be interesting to see if they charge the drunk driver with killing her. Who knows if she would have died if treated right away.

Jenny Ybarra has already had one count of intoxication assault upgraded to intoxication manslaughter.

Nbadan
12-19-2007, 02:17 AM
A little late there Mouse...

Best Talk-Show Host (http://www.sacurrent.com/bestof/story.asp?id=67070)

1. Chris Duel
KTSA 550 AM
2. Jason and Rob Thompson
WOAI 1200 AM
3. Kidd Kraddick
MIX 96.1 FM

T Park.
12-19-2007, 02:18 AM
That girl looks like my sister! How cold can some people be?

=RTM=
12-19-2007, 02:19 AM
A little late there Mouse...

Best Talk-Show Host (http://www.sacurrent.com/bestof/story.asp?id=67070)

1. Chris Duel
KTSA 550 AM
2. Jason and Rob Thompson
WOAI 1200 AM
3. Kidd Kraddick
MIX 96.1 FM

=That is not the list that shows "ST radio Host of the year!"
that is the only award that really matters!=

Lance
12-19-2007, 02:37 AM
I give him 12 hours to reply or your full of Shit!

USA Employee
12-19-2007, 03:35 AM
Chris Duel is like curry powder, he is very strong and you know when he in near!

Twisted_Dawg
12-19-2007, 03:52 AM
I heard on the news that City Manager Cheyl Scully is going to review the matter.

I doubt the city will do anything serious to that horrible, arrogant, cold heartless piece of shit Fire Chief. But he needs to be censored or suspened for a few days as well as those incompetent EMT's that responded.

Chris Duel
12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Mouse, Kori, USAA Employee and others. Thanks for your kind words.

I was aghast at Fire Chief Hood's cold and insensitive comments following the death of Erica Smith.

Erica deserved better. Erica's family deserves better. San Antonio deserves better.

Taco
12-19-2007, 09:41 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA121907.01A.dead.2849b79.html

Controversy over woman left for dead

Web Posted: 12/19/2007 01:02 AM CST

Brian Chasnoff and Lomi Kriel
Express-News

The injury looked grave.
Part of the front-seat passenger's skull had caved in after a head-on collision on Loop 410. James McLaughlin, a truck driver who said he witnessed the wreck and rushed to the aid of its victims, crouched beside the mangled Honda Accord and talked to the injured woman, 23-year-old Erica Smith, until a police officer arrived.

Smith had been moaning, McLaughlin said.

"I said, 'Sir, that girl in the front seat is messed up bad. She needs help,'" he recalled.

Yet it was precisely that injury — coupled with an apparent lack of a pulse — that led paramedics to abandon Smith, believing her dead, and instead rush two other victims with non-life-threatening injuries to Brooke Army Medical Center, Fire Chief Charles Hood said on Tuesday.

Smith was actually alive — a detail discovered more than an hour later by a medical examiner's investigator called to the scene to examine her body. Paramedics again were called, and Smith was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center, on Sunday, more than two hours after the early morning wreck. She died at the hospital Monday afternoon.

The paramedics' decision to abandon Smith in the wreckage in near freezing temperatures — compounded by Hood's refusal to apologize for the incident at a news conference Monday — has stoked outrage among some. Tuesday, in an interview with the Express-News editorial board, Hood said he regretted not saying he was "sorry for the family."

Although he conceded that Sunday's misdiagnosis "could possibly have been a mistake," Hood defended the judgment of the four paramedics who abandoned Smith after checking her pulse. Cold weather can mask vital signs, he said, and victims can continue breathing after they are brain dead.

"The body is designed, basically, to function without a brain," he said. "Bodies make noises, bodies move, bodies will sit up on you.

Donald Gordon, a professor of medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, said up to 60 percent of patients who gasp are not alive. Typically, he said, the gasp is the result of a spinal reflex.

Hood and Gordon, who has authorized the standard medical operating procedure for the city's Fire Department for more than two decades, said medical privacy laws constrained them from detailing what exactly led paramedics to believe Smith was dead.

But Gordon said national standards prevent medical providers from resuscitating patients if they meet criteria classifying them as an "obvious death on arrival."

And on Tuesday, Hood said publicly for the first time that, "by all intents and purposes, (the paramedics) thought (Smith) was dead."

"She presented as deceased to them," Hood said, adding that paramedics, "when they checked, she had no pulse."

According to the current operating procedure, which Gordon updated last year, patients fall into the category of "obvious death on arrival" if they have "no measurable vital signs," such as a heart beat or pulse, and meet one of four criteria: rigor mortis; when the blood pools to the lowest level of gravity; decapitation, incineration or visual massive trauma; or if the body is decomposed.

"Visual massive trauma" refers to injuries severe enough for a layperson to think they might cause death, such as "part of a V-6 engine sitting in the middle of your chest," Gordon said.
According to McLaughlin, Smith suffered a major head injury.

"I knew that if she didn't get help right away, she might not make it," he said, adding, "My opinion, I think they should have paid more attention to her."

A police officer familiar with the incident said he told paramedics at least twice that Smith was still breathing.

"They kept telling everybody, 'No, she's not. ... She'll die in a few minutes,'" said the officer, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak about the case.

If there's any question about whether a patient meets the required criteria for resuscitation, paramedics are required to call their medical director for an opinion. Gordon, who is the medical director for the city's Fire Department, declined to say whether he was called in Smith's accident.

But typically, he offers such opinions on a daily basis, he said.

It is very rare for someone to be classified as an "obvious DOA" and then return to life, he said, but it has happened. Over the past 20 years, San Antonio has recorded two other such incidents, Hood said Tuesday.

The four paramedics involved in Sunday's incident have been with the department for several years, with the least experienced having worked as a medic for nearly six years. Officials declined to release their names on Tuesday, but said the other three have served in their roles for six years, seven years and 12 years. None was disciplined for the incident and each is expected to return to work this week, Hood said.

Still, the incident remains under investigation, he said, and will force the department to review its policies.

"We need to figure out what to do to avoid this," he said. "Customers in San Antonio need to have faith in their department."

Smith was one of three people inside the Accord when a Pontiac G5 veered into an oncoming lane on Loop 410, striking the Accordshortly before 4 a.m. The driver of the Pontiac, Jenny Ann Ybarra, 28, was taken to a hospital after complaining of back pain. She has been charged with intoxication manslaughter and her bond set at $50,000. A jail official said she had posted bail, but was awaiting an ankle monitor so that she could be released.

Smith's friends — Sabrina Shaner, 22, the Accord's driver, and back seat passenger Amber Wilson, 22— suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
Staff Writer Vianna Davila contributed to this report

Shelly
12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
This story is so, so, sad.

PakiDan
12-19-2007, 09:52 AM
The Fire Chief Has To Be, In The Very Least, Publicly Reprimanded For The Comments He Made About This Accident. Does Anybody Know The Number For The City Managers Office Or Any Other Means To Make Ourselves Heard About This Matter. The Fire Chief Needs To Go.

thispego
12-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Although he conceded that Sunday's misdiagnosis "could possibly have been a mistake," Hood defended the judgment of the four paramedics who abandoned Smith after checking her pulse. Cold weather can mask vital signs, he said, and victims can continue breathing after they are brain dead
and they didn't know this at the time?? excuses are like ass holes.

Lance
12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
The Chris Duel show is worth tuning into check it out 4pm today!

RashoFan
12-19-2007, 09:40 PM
According to the current operating procedure, which Gordon updated last year, patients fall into the category of "obvious death on arrival" if they have "no measurable vital signs," such as a heart beat or pulse, and meet one of four criteria: rigor mortis; when the blood pools to the lowest level of gravity; decapitation, incineration or visual massive trauma; or if the body is decomposed.

#1: I have meet Dr. Donald Gordon and I think he is a pitful
excuse for a medical director(IMHO)
#2: With it being cold that night and the Paramedics wearing nitrile gloves(most services use these instead of lates gloves), They might not been able to feel a faint thready pulse.

"We need to figure out what to do to avoid this," he said. "Customers in San Antonio need to have faith in their department."

Here is my suggestion: it only takes about 2 minutes tops to put a cardiac monitor on a supposed DOA/DOS and check all 3 leads for asystole. That can confirm death. SAFD doesn't like to do that because if there is any type of cardiac activity/rhythm, they have to "work" that patient. Just because she had a severe head injury does not mean she should not have been given a chance.

I meet a teenager once who fell off a 4th floor balcony. He had a severe brain injury. He was given a chance and he survived and had a long road of recovery ahead of him. He was unable to communicate when I first meet him, we took him to get an MRI done, I held his hand the whole time because he was scared. Months later (6 or 7 I think) I saw him again at a rehab center. We brought in a patient and he said" I remember you! You held my hand that time when I had an MRI done". I looked at him and his family with a puzzled look on my face. They reminded me of his story of the accident. I couldn't believe it, he was talking and he recognized me, I was amazed. He will always have some mental and physical deficits, but the amount of recovery that he made and that he remembered me after all that time is still pretty AMAZING!
There is a higher power!

2centsworth
12-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I never used to Listen to Chris, but ever since sports talk radio died I tune in regularly.

curtismedellin
12-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I never used to Listen to Chris, but ever since sports talk radio died I tune in regularly.

I never even knew Duel was on 55.... see ya Mike Taylor.

This thread alone converts me, if you're gonna work this town you gotta have a passion for it, and I would guess that goes for any city you work in. radio host or otherwise...

Duncan
12-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Rshofan is dead on! You guys have no idea how Chris Duel works hard every day so San Antonio gets what they crave Good talk radio! If you call his show he will put you to the front of the line. I would love RashoFan to call in this is an area she works in!

If Chris Duel did Sports radio the fucking ratings meter would shatter in so many peices the FCC would have no choice but to hire CSI to find out who did the damage through DNA testing.

Your talking about a man who was a fan when the spurs were still ABA!
and also has many pictures of him and Tom Landry in the 70s. This vato is "puro" San Antonio..........

How the Ticket Radio let Chris Duel fall through the cracks still amazes me today!

Nbadan
12-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Sup, Duel...gotta say, he got talk show game, but ....and I say this with all sincerity - to Chris, Duel don't know sports...common Duel, I remember the old OIA board Daze....

Duncan
12-20-2007, 12:28 AM
You rather have some rain man stat freak that knows what size sneaker Randy Moss used in the 8th grade, or someone who has no problem telling Jeff Vexler he has his head up his ass?

And since when did knowing sports keep anyone from doing STSA?

Smackie Chan
12-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Have you seen him do stand up?

Nbadan
12-20-2007, 12:35 AM
So Duel denies being a Laker lover?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Hood Apologizes Plus Video (At Bottom) Of EMS Procedures (http://www.ksat.com/news/14894040/detail.html)

Danny Trejo
12-20-2007, 12:40 AM
So Duel denies being a Laker lover?

This Chris Duel vato was never a penche laker lover S A!

Nbadan
12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Here's a classic..http://web.archive.org/web/20010405071606/www.woai.com/ubbscgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

mouse
12-20-2007, 01:02 AM

Chris Duel is one of the top 50 comedians of all time. His material is way over most peoples heads. It's good if your sharp but bad if you own the club.

They want to see folks laugh for no reason. They are in it for the $

That in my opinion ruined stand up. It was not about comics being creative it was about how many times can you say Pussy,Dick, and Fuck and get folks rolling. But if you ever get a chance to witness him on stage don't miss it the man is old school. Very rare these days.

As far as the subject matter of this topic?
A man called the Chris Duel show today and started to kinda tell Chris Duel how he finds it very frustrating how KTSA will allow Chris Duel to publicly slam this Fire chief on his live radio show and come to find out he is a friend of the family?

I was shocked Chris Duel didn't call him out on the bias factor. But the point is if you disagree with the the Chris Duel radio show he will not only let you on the air you will go to the front of the line,

To me that is the type of radio i will be tunning into from this day froward. Chris Duel has me from 4-7 on the weekdays. I may turn the the ticket 760 to hear "Taylor Trash!" that show rocks.

then it's back to KTSA. the only problem I have ever had with his show is the Friday's "whats got your Goat" show.

It's where you get to call in and tell San Antonio what pissed you off that week and the show is only 15 minutes long? Hell I could do 3 hours of pissed off folks in San Antonio and still have to apologize to the other 8 on hold :lmao

Look how many folks on the www reply to a topic vs callers to a radio show. You would think someone by now would have seen the market to combine the two.

:wakeup

Nbadan
12-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Why KTSA doesn't rebroadcast The Stephenie Miller Show at night after the Duel show is the real tragedy...

Mavs08
12-20-2007, 01:58 AM
:lmao

Rack Nbadan
ST Politics poster of the year 2007!

Cartman
12-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Chris Duel can suck my balls!

Taco
12-20-2007, 10:30 AM

No but i've drank a few beers with him and saw him fall down :spin