PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Other Spurs stars' injuries wear out Ginobili

timvp
12-19-2007, 03:10 AM
Other Spurs stars' injuries wear out Ginobili
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Manu Ginobili's brain tells him he has only played seven games since the start of December, same as any other healthy Spurs player. The calendar concurs.

Ginobili's aching body tells him he's played many more than that.

With an ankle sprain epidemic separately striking down his two most prominent Spurs teammates — first Tim Duncan, then Tony Parker — the pressure has been on Ginobili to be the Band-Aid for the Spurs' offense.

It has made for a wearisome 21/2 weeks for Ginobili, in which seven games have felt like 14.

"I am having to play more minutes and to try to do more," Ginobili said. "Everything requires double the effort."

The Spurs, still shorthanded in Memphis tonight, are hoping Ginobili can shake off the funk that seems to have engulfed him since the team's last road trip.

It will be Duncan's third game back from an ankle injury that cost him four. It will be Parker's fourth game missed while nursing his own sore ankle.

The Spurs have not played a full game with both of their 2007 All-Stars this month. Instead, they have had to lean on a 2005 All-Star — Ginobili — to try and pick up the slack.

In a strange twist, injuries to Duncan and Parker have taken a toll on the one Spurs star who remains relatively healthy.

Ginobili was transcendent in the first two games with Duncan out, producing consecutive 37-point nights to ignite victories over Dallas and Utah.

In the four games since, Ginobili has struggled to recreate that magic. He is averaging a respectable 14 points but is shooting a woeful 26 percent from the field.

The Spurs were 1-3 in that span.

If you ask Ginobili, there is a good reason he isn't playing as well now as he was two weeks ago.

"I don't feel as good as I did two weeks ago," Ginobili said. "I feel tired."

Trying to carry a team for six games will do that, especially to a player not accustomed to the workload that has him playing 33.2 minutes per game in that stretch.

Throughout his career, Ginobili has never averaged more than 29.6 minutes a game.

Against Dallas and Utah, he demonstrated the kind of gaudy numbers he can put up if given a full night's work. Since then, he has showed what can happen when the minutes — and bruises — pile up.

There was the 4-of-14 night marred by five turnovers in a loss at Golden State. A 5-of-17 clankfest in another loss to the Lakers that included seven turnovers. A 4-of-11 effort in a victory over Denver.

In Monday's 100-95 loss to Phoenix, Ginobili finished with 18 points but only made 6 of 19 shots and had a costly turnover on the final possession.

In addition to simple fatigue, Ginobili says the left hand contusion he suffered in a Dec. 2 collision with Portland's James Jones still bothers him.

For now, however, coach Gregg Popovich doesn't see any need to keep Ginobili off the floor.

"He hasn't expressed anything like that," Popovich said. "He's healthy. That's the most important thing."

What Ginobili could use, even more than a night off, is a team at full strength.

Ever since his twin 37-point outbursts, defenses have been more cognizant of his whereabouts, vying to keep him from his favorite scoring spots.

"Before, they were worried about Tony and Tim," Robert Horry said. "Now it's Manu, more than Tony and Tim. Everybody is playing us like that."

Duncan, back and returning to form, should help.

And with Parker tentatively due to rejoin Duncan in the lineup before the end of the week, the Spurs are set to suit up a full complement of All-Stars for the first time since November.

Ginobili's aching body can hardly wait.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121907.01D.BKN_Ginobili_Slide.en.28ce03b.html

timvp
12-19-2007, 03:28 AM
"I am having to play more minutes and to try to do more," Ginobili said. "Everything requires double the effort."

"I don't feel as good as I did two weeks ago," Ginobili said. "I feel tired."I don't think Pop has done a very good job of late managing Ginobili's minutes as of late. Ginobili is best when he plays 28-30 minutes when everyone is healthy. If Duncan, Parker are both are injured, I think you have to fight the urge to play him more and actually play him a bit less. 25-27 minutes if Ginobili is the focal point of the offense the whole time makes more sense and gives the Spurs a better chance to win than to play him 30+ minutes and make him dead tired in the fourth.

I also I don't think it's a coincidence that Ginobili has struggled since Parker's ankle became an issue. Parker was ineffective against Golden State and then hasn't played since. Those are the four games in which Ginobili has played poorly. It's not really that Parker creates a huge amount of shots for Ginobili, it's more that Parker's penetration has to be accounted for at all times and that opens lanes for Ginobili.

Without Parker, teams can send extra players at any Ginobili pick and roll. They don't do that with a healthy Parker because if you are scrambling, that's when Parker is able to get easy layups.

Bottomline is I don't think there's much reason to panic regarding Ginobili. The beginning to this season for Ginobili wasn't a fluke. I don't see any reason why he can't return to that level once Parker is back and teams can't simply concentrate on keeping Ginobili from slicing up their defense.

greens
12-19-2007, 04:35 AM
I agree...And it also sounds like his left shooting hand is still bothering him:

In addition to simple fatigue, Ginobili says the left hand contusion he suffered in a Dec. 2 collision with Portland's James Jones still bothers him.

Add that up to exhaustion also...I did notice Manu not playing like he can...and felt like there must be a good reason for it...

I also think once Tony gets back, it will be a lot easier for Manu...

ShoogarBear
12-19-2007, 04:57 AM
I don't think Pop has done a very good job of late managing Ginobili's minutes as of late. Ginobili is best when he plays 28-30 minutes when everyone is healthy. If Duncan, Parker are both are injured, I think you have to fight the urge to play him more and actually play him a bit less. 25-27 minutes if Ginobili is the focal point of the offense the whole time makes more sense and gives the Spurs a better chance to win than to play him 30+ minutes and make him dead tired in the fourth.
I agree his effectiveness plummets once he gets above 30 MPG, but I don't see how you can play him less minutes when Duncan and Parker are both out. Unless Pop just want to concede the games against all but the weakest teams.

Anyway, this should end once and for all the idiotic argument that he could play 35 minutes a night if he had to. But it won't.

timvp
12-19-2007, 05:07 AM
I agree his effectiveness plummets once he gets above 30 MPG, but I don't see how you can play him less minutes when Duncan and Parker are both out. Unless Pop just want to concede the games against all but the weakest teams.Well, three out of the last four games Manu has had the lowest +/- on the team so it's not like he's been carrying the team while he was out there. Keeping it close wasn't really a problem. It was pulling it out late ... which is much harder with a dead tired Ginobili.

Anyway, this should end once and for all the idiotic argument that he could play 35 minutes a night if he had to. But it won't.Yeah, Ginobili isn't built to play a lot of minutes. That becomes especially true if there isn't sufficient talent around him.

manubili
12-19-2007, 08:37 AM
I wish Pop could rely more on Oberto in order to soften the preasure on Manu. Oberto could be more than a role player. He's been playing great, he's smart and ranks very low in turnovers. He has done it before, for several years, in Fiba's days. This is his third year as an NBA player, he has a ring, it's time. Let Manu rest and let Oberto finish more plays.

ArgSpursFan.
12-19-2007, 08:57 AM
I think Manu is actually seeing the results of the 2 back to backs 37 pts games and all the intensity he had to bring on when He became THE MAN for the last 4 or 5 games,with TP and Duncan out.
Hopefully everything will go back to normal mode after this coming game.

ancestron
12-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Ginobili just needs to cool it with the coke and the whores

TMTTRIO
12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I still don't like hearing that his left hand contusion hasn't gone away. You would think by now it would be getting better but it sounds like it's lingering. Hopefully it doesn't get worse and hopefully he gets some rest coming up with two days off after this game and then three more days after the Clippers game on Saturday. Hopefully that's enough time for him to recuperate and get that finger better. Speaking of the finger injury and Manu's shooting you can tell the injury has affected his long range shooting. Even the night he had those 37 point games he didn't shoot well from 3 from any of them.
1 - 6 PHX
2 - 5 DEN
1 - 7 LAL
1 - 3 GSG
2 - 7 UTA
2 - 5 DAL

ducks
12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
this shows everyone manu is good for 30 mintues agame not 35-40

easjer
12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I also think that something timvp has said before is true. Manu talks about double the effort - but that is not necessarily needed. In fact, I think he's trying too hard and overcompensating and thinking too much. No doubt having defenses focused exclusively on him and playing more minutes is exhausting. But I think he perceived that he needed to step up more and have more 30+ point nights and began overplaying to his detriment and the team's detriment.

ducks
12-19-2007, 10:00 AM
I also think that something timvp has said before is true. Manu talks about double the effort - but that is not necessarily needed. In fact, I think he's trying too hard and overcompensating and thinking too much. No doubt having defenses focused exclusively on him and playing more minutes is exhausting. But I think he perceived that he needed to step up more and have more 30+ point nights and began overplaying to his detriment and the team's detriment.
I posted that early after those back to back games he thought he was mj
he is not
he just needs to play within himself :pctoss

ducks
12-19-2007, 10:41 AM
""I am having to play more minutes and to try to do more," Ginobili said. "Everything requires double the effort."

That is why you get paid Millions of Dallars!!! What a pussy!!

KOBE >>>>>>>>>>>>> MANU
so why was kobe crying he wanted help on his team
WHAT A PUSSY

urunobili
12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
""I am having to play more minutes and to try to do more," Ginobili said. "Everything requires double the effort."

That is why you get paid Millions of Dallars!!! What a pussy!!

KOBE >>>>>>>>>>>>> MANU

pussy? yeah probably Beno learned all his habits from him...

:dramaquee

SenorSpur
12-19-2007, 10:47 AM
It's true. Pop has done a terrible job of managing Ginobili's minutes throughout this stretch. There are all sorts of options he could have used. He could have suipplemented by giving more minutes to Barry/Udoka. In fact, I still wonder why Udoka isn't getting minutes as a defensive stopper on guys like Grant Hill and Josh Howard.

Harry Callahan
12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Hey SO Cal,
Kobe is probably happy that he is the big dog now in LA. So, no rings for four years and counting but he is getting those scoring titles isn't he. That is the only title he will win the rest of his career. Gino has three rings since Kobe won one. Sit down and shut up.

spursfan09
12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Who in thier right mind thinks Kobe is better than Ginobili? However Kobe is the biggest drama queen and fits very nice in LA because of this.

BeerIsGood!
12-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Kobe is the best street ball player in the NBA. One on one skills are out of this world. Attitude is only described as fairweather at best and downright shitty at worst. I'm surprised that he hasn't tried to attribute Bynums' improvement to the "motivation" Kobe gave him by calling him a shit filled scrub on some guy's cell phone video in a supermarket parking lot.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Exhaustion and triple teams tend to limit your production somewhat.

Jimcs50
12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Exhaustion and triple teams tend to limit your production somewhat.

Hey, don't knock being "triple teamed" until you've tried it....although, I was exhausted afterward.

:)

telecomguy
12-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I agree his effectiveness plummets once he gets above 30 MPG, but I don't see how you can play him less minutes when Duncan and Parker are both out. Unless Pop just want to concede the games against all but the weakest teams.

Anyway, this should end once and for all the idiotic argument that he could play 35 minutes a night if he had to. But it won't.

I really don't understand why Manu can't play more than 28 to 30 minutes....the guy is a fantastic athlete, in his prime, not old. There are lots of NBA guards who play much more frenetic style and play it for 40+ minutes EVERY GAME the whole season....we are only into the 1/3 of the season and Manu can't handle 30+ minutes all of a sudden?

I don't buy it. (also none of these 4 games that he played poorly were BACK TO BACK...he had a whole friggin day to rest)

Let's just face the fact that he can play poorly sometimes....he is not Jordan or god.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think Pop has done a very good job of late managing Ginobili's minutes as of late. Ginobili is best when he plays 28-30 minutes when everyone is healthy. If Duncan, Parker are both are injured, I think you have to fight the urge to play him more and actually play him a bit less. 25-27 minutes if Ginobili is the focal point of the offense the whole time makes more sense and gives the Spurs a better chance to win than to play him 30+ minutes and make him dead tired in the fourth.

I also I don't think it's a coincidence that Ginobili has struggled since Parker's ankle became an issue. Parker was ineffective against Golden State and then hasn't played since. Those are the four games in which Ginobili has played poorly. It's not really that Parker creates a huge amount of shots for Ginobili, it's more that Parker's penetration has to be accounted for at all times and that opens lanes for Ginobili.

Without Parker, teams can send extra players at any Ginobili pick and roll. They don't do that with a healthy Parker because if you are scrambling, that's when Parker is able to get easy layups.

Bottomline is I don't think there's much reason to panic regarding Ginobili. The beginning to this season for Ginobili wasn't a fluke. I don't see any reason why he can't return to that level once Parker is back and teams can't simply concentrate on keeping Ginobili from slicing up their defense.

I agree. Main reason I think people were playing the spurs paying special attention on Ginobili and making it as hard as possible for him. If Fin, Bowen, Barry and others are missing their shots then it's game over.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Kobe has carried the Lakers on his back for the past 2 seasons. Manu is tired after a month (5 to 6 games) :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Why are we turning this into a kobe vs manu thread again? Kori should start banning you guys.

ArgSpursFan.
12-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Reality is a bitch!!! :toast
Reality sais that since 2003 :
Ginobili =3 rings / Kobe=0
Ginobili= 1 Olympic Gold medal / Kobe =almost gets locked up. :lol

SpurOutofTownFan
12-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Reality sais that since 2003 :
Ginobili =3 rings / Kobe=0
Ginobili= 1 Olympic Gold medal / Kobe =almost gets locked up. :lol

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

ArgSpursFan.
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
botton line is Spurs>Fakers period. Go cry somewhere else Lakers fans.

lefty
12-19-2007, 06:58 PM
kobe is so much better than ginobili that it's not even funny

You can't compare both players. It's like comparing oranges and apples.

They are not the same kind of players.

Manu is a team player, while Kobe is a ballhog.

With Kobe, you know what's gonna happen, even if he is incredibly talented : it's either a jumper if he is in the perimeter, or a super dunk if he goes inside.

With Manu, you don't know what he's gonna do : is he going to throw an insane unexpected shot, make a great assist, make a great behind-the-back dribble followed by a no-look lay up???

I'm not saying Manu is better than Kobe, I'm just saying he's more fun to watch (because of the aforementioned reasons)