PDA

View Full Version : timvp's "Game Thoughts" Reach Bigger Stage

duncan228
12-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Look what I found from our own timvp.
We all love your game thoughts threads here, it's was wonderful to find them on SpursZONE.
Have others been there and I missed them, or is this the first?
Hope you can continue it, and I really hope they paid you well. Your columns deserve it.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=7f100259-acf9-4b10-b31d-5cb307f0236f

Analysis: Duncan Back on the Court

By LJ Ellis
SpursZONE.com

First off, it was nice to see Tim Duncan back out on the court as the Spurs took on the Nuggets on Saturday night. It’s easy to take him for granted and forget how much easier he makes the game for everyone around him.

As far as the game, I thought it was a solid showing, especially considering Tony Parker was out with a sprained ankle. It wasn’t a great win because the Nuggets played horrible at times and made it easy for the Spurs, but it was at least nice to get back on the winning track. The Spurs got some good performances from a variety of players and were able to stay undefeated at home.

I wasn’t too impressed with the Nuggets. In the middle two quarters, their defense was pathetic. Offensively, it didn’t appear that they had a plan at all. I’ve seen them play better this season but this certainly was not one of their better outings. Without Kenyon Martin and Nene, Denver was much softer in the middle than usual.

-Tim Duncan’s stats are pretty ugly. He had eight points and five rebounds, while shooting 4-for-10 from the court. However, it didn’t take him long to show why he’s so valuable. Duncan attracts so much attention that the game become much easier for everyone around him. His defense wasn’t great but it was far better than anything the Spurs saw out of a bigman in his absence. Duncan looked relatively healthy even though he was moving painfully slow at times. Hopefully he was just taking extra caution as he worked his way back into action.

-Manu Ginobili looked good at times and bad at times. Most of the good came in the third quarter when he scored all 11 of his points and looked like the Ginobili we’ve come to expect this season. In the other three quarters, Ginobili was 0-for-6 from the field and failed to get to the line. You have to give him credit for his seven assists but overall he seemed out of sync and was forcing the action way too much, which led to a team-high four turnovers. Against the Nuggets specifically, Ginobili really missed having Parker at his side. For one, the Nuggets could put a better defender on him than they usually can because they didn’t have to worry about Jacque Vaughn. Secondly, Ginobili had to spend time defensively on Allen Iverson, which doesn’t happen if Parker is healthy. Overall though, this was a much better outing for Ginobili compared to the last two nightmares.

-Bruce Bowen had his hands full tonight spending time defensively on both Iverson and Carmelo Anthony. On the whole, Bowen did a very good job on whoever he was matched up against. There were a couple of possessions where he was out of position but there’s really no way you complain about his effort.

-Fabricio Oberto had yet another fantastic game. In one of the best games of his career, he had 21 points, 13 rebounds, five assists, one block and no turnovers, while hitting 10-of-11 shots from the field. He really played well in the first half, where he put up a team-high and already season-high 15 points. Oberto played great next to Duncan and his short jumper was as automatic as it’s ever been. Under the radar, Oberto has become a very legitimate NBA center. This nearly flawless outing was just another example of how well he has played this year.

-In a starting role, Michael Finley had one of his best games of the season. He had 21 points, six rebounds, four assists and knocked down 8-of-12 shots from the field and 4-of-5 shots from beyond the three-point line. His plus/minus showed just how well he played as he finished +27, which was far and away the best mark on the team. Finley has had a rollercoaster season but it seems that finally there are more ups than there are downs.

-Jacque Vaughn played much better in his second start of the season. In 34 minutes, he had ten points, six assists and three rebounds. The offense got stagnant at times while he was on the court but overall he played much, much better than he did against the Lakers. His all out hustle was on full display and his defense was quite good.

-Brent Barry was big early on in the game when the Spurs couldn’t make a basket. He came in and helped jumpstart the offense. He finished with 14 points, four rebounds and three assists, as he scored in double figures in back-to-back games for the first time this season. Defensively he wasn’t great but I liked how he stuck his nose in there and competed.

-I thought Darius Washington took a step back in his development tonight. His clock management, especially at the end of quarters and the end of shot clocks, was poor. He had a couple of possessions where he didn’t make the passes he needed to make. In fairness, he is still very raw but this game didn’t make Pop gain any confidence in him. He still has a lot of work to do before he’s capable of playing championship caliber basketball.

-First of all, I hope his ankle injury at the end of the game turns out to be not serious. It looked like he twisted it pretty good. Best wishes to him. But Francisco Elson was horrible. He had a plus/minus of -16 in less than 12 minutes of action. His defense remains clueless while his offense doesn’t help matters. He was going up against his idol Marcus Camby and didn’t do much of anything. Hopefully the ankle injury was Elson’s way of honoring Camby and wasn’t an actual injury that will sideline him.

-Ime Udoka was like the swingman version of Elson tonight. He had a -12 plus/minus in eight minutes of play. He looked out of sync more than usual and wasn’t really helping in any area. Udoka has shown glimpses but remains a project at this point.

-Robert Horry played just six minutes and missed all three of his shots, all from downtown. This was the first game that Horry looked his age. He wasn’t moving too well and his lack of conditioning was evident. But then again, this is Robert Horry and he’s going to have regular season games like this.

-Matt Bonner was victim of a classic Pop DNP-CD. After starting two consecutive games, Bonner didn’t get off the bench for the Spurs tonight. It’s tough to blame the coaching staff though because last game against the Lakers Bonner put up a goose egg when he could have really made a case for himself in terms of getting minutes in the rotation.

-Pop did a good job overall. He let Duncan get out there for 20 minutes to shake the rust off and kept him on the bench when the Nuggets were making their late run. I also liked how he didn’t overplay Ginobili even though Parker was out. The Spurs stuck to their guns after a difficult first quarter and broke through in the middle two quarters, outscoring the Nuggets 68-41. The fourth quarter got ugly but that’s what happens when Duncan is on the bench, Parker is out and Ginobili is out of rhythm. Bottomline is it was a good win but more importantly it was nice to have Duncan back in the fold.

LJ Ellis is a freelance writer and Spurs fan. You can read more from LJ at SpursTalk.com.

romain.star
12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
:toast

ashbeeigh
12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
:clap awesome!! I love these! I hope all of San Antonio comes to enjoy them as much as I do.

Bruno
12-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Have others been there and I missed them, or is this the first?

Other have been there. timvp's game thoughts are on Spurszone for something like one month.

duncan228
12-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Other have been there. timvp's game thoughts are on Spurszone for something like one month.

I'm thrilled to hear that.

nfg3
12-19-2007, 01:11 PM
:clap :toast :hungry:

VaSpursFan
12-19-2007, 01:23 PM
sweet!!! way to go LJ!!!

CubanMustGo
12-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Always nice to see the good guys get more exposure. :tu LJ!

MaNuMaNiAc
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't think this is something new. I seem to remember reading LJ's writing at SpursZONE before.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I want a piece of your paycheck :)

TBMTF
12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Maybe one day he'll join Ludden at yahoo.. way to go mr. timvp!

duncan228
12-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't think this is something new. I seem to remember reading LJ's writing at SpursZONE before.

Like I said earlier, I'm thrilled to hear that.
This is the first one I've spotted on SpursZone, and no one here had posted that his work was on SpursZONE.

I'm just happy for LJ, and I thought a round of applause from those of us who know and love his game thoughts was in order.

I know I wait after every game for that thread. Whether we agree or disagree with his thoughts, they are always articulate and well thought out.
And very appreciated, at least by me.

:toast to LJ.

Dex
12-19-2007, 02:39 PM
:tu

Honestly, I enjoy LJs commentary and Game Thoughts better than any of the local media covering the Spurs.

Granted, that's not saying a whole lot with McDonald and Monroe leading our reporting, but still...

The commentary is always spot on and insightful. Few national reporters are lucky enough to be as entertaining. Considering that this is something done out of his free time for the enjoyment of the board....

:toast

urunobili
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Congrats! i am already addicted to his reviews and look forward to reading them more than the San Antonio express reviews.. way to go buddy! Cheers and happy holidays :santahat

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
:) I have been posting them there periodically for a few weeks.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Hope you can continue it, and I really hope they paid you well.

Depends on how you define "well." If zero="well" then it's well. :lol

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 03:54 PM
...and kori steals timvp's glory

nicely done

:lol

I didn't mean to steal anything. I just didn't want anyone to think WOAI hired him or anything. I just copied and pasted his posts over there. I've done it with ChumpDumper's posts before too.

Cry Havoc
12-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Go LJ! Congrats. =) Your thoughts are always great to read after a game.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 03:55 PM
LJ always gives great analysis night in and night out.

I actually wish ESPN would have designated writers for specific teams so we can get even more in depth look at our favorite clubs, and I know I'd give timvp my vote.

As a matter of fact, I enjoy hearing LJ's thoughts on other teams just as much as the Spurs.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
the guy deserves his props.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 04:03 PM

I guess, but like someone said earlier in the thread, he's far better than the local coverage SA Express employs.

duncan228
12-19-2007, 04:18 PM
:lol I guess, but like someone said earlier in the thread, he's far better than the local coverage SA Express employs.

LJ really is a better writer than the local beat guys I read out of SA.
He's better than the local Lakers/Clippers beat guys I read in my newspaper every day.

LJ has passion for this team, it comes through his writing.
He's not afraid to call any of them out-from Pop and Duncan and down the line.

Because the Spurs are "my" team, I appreciate LJ's efforts. I don't have anyone in my "real life" to dissect games with, LJ does that for me and does it well.

you've got a little something on your nose

Call it sucking up, call it anything you want.
It's how I feel. I stand behind it.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 04:22 PM
And lastly, I'd just like to add that the thing I respect the most out of LJ's analysis, is that he always offers up possible solutions to things he found wrong in the game. Whether he felt small ball shouldn't have been relied on too heavily, or Pop not making the right substitutions when needed, he doesn't just criticize, he does a great job of giving you both sides of the coin.

okay, NOW I'm done brown nosing :toast

Another poster whose thoughts I wish were expressed even more so on here is Solid D. He always brings good takes.

duncan228
12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Another poster whose thoughts I wish were expressed even more so on here is Solid D. He always brings good takes.

I second that.

Solid D, FromWayDowntown, timvp, whott, and ChumpDumper all come to mind for having great takes on games.
Whether you agree with their takes or not, they're usually wonderful to read and full of insight.

I'm sure I left out plenty of other posters whose opinions I look forward to after games.
My apologies to them.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
You forgot T Park

duncan228
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM

Good for you. They deserve to be out anywhere Spurs fans can read them.

Depends on how you define "well." If zero="well" then it's well.:lol

That's too bad.
Getting the exposure, if he wants it, is good, that could lead to paying jobs.
And if nothing else, it does get his work where more Spurs fans can find it.
That's always good.
And his by-line has ST in it, it could bring some more quality posters here.

polandprzem
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Excactly :D

And I think we can go further.
Ask fans what they think and 'what can Pop do' kinda thing.

I remember in 2005 - Kori asked fans what are the key to win the series (or one game) agains Sonics. It was cool.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Getting the exposure, if he wants it, is good, that could lead to paying jobs.
And if nothing else, it does get his work where more Spurs fans can find it.
That's always good.
And his by-line has ST in it, it could bring some more quality posters here.

He doesn't want to be a sportswriter or get paying jobs from it. Everyone has told him for a long time that he should have a basketball related job. But he has always thought that if it turned into a job, then it would ruin it for him :lol So he has no interest.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Excactly :D

And I think we can go further.
Ask fans what they think and 'what can Pop do' kinda thing.

I remember in 2005 - Kori asked fans what are the key to win the series (or one game) agains Sonics. It was cool.

Yeah I am thinking of doing that fan thing once a week after the Jan 1.

polandprzem
12-19-2007, 04:42 PM

:worthy:

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Hey Kori, would you ever consider doing a "Fan Report From the Road" type thing for fans who catch an SA game on the road?

I'm seeing them here in Toronto on the 11th (fourth row from the court, $250 ticket ouch) but thought it'd be fun in terms of fan interaction from across the country.

but then again, I guess it probably wouldn't be much different than posting pictures and thoughts of the game on here.

duncan228
12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
He doesn't want to be a sportswriter or get paying jobs from it. Everyone has told him for a long time that he should have a basketball related job. But he has always thought that if it turned into a job, then it would ruin it for him :lol So he has no interest.

I can see that. Taking something you're passionate about and making it "work" instead of a joy can risk the passion and turn it into a chore.

Whatever works for LJ works for me! I selfishly want him to continue to post his game thoughts here. I hope that it doesn't become a chore for him.

whottt
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
He doesn't want to be a sportswriter or get paying jobs from it. Everyone has told him for a long time that he should have a basketball related job.

He already is one though...he does regular writing assignments.

But he has always thought that if it turned into a job, then it would ruin it for him :lol So he has no interest.

I get the mindset...actually I understand it completely...but he really already is one pretty much.

He writes pro style articles, he does it on a regular basis....that's a pro writer...an unpaid pro writer.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey Kori, would you ever consider doing a "Fan Report From the Road" type thing for fans who catch an SA game on the road?

I'm seeing them here in Toronto on the 11th (fourth row from the court, $250 ticket ouch) but thought it'd be fun in terms of fan interaction from across the country.

but then again, I guess it probably wouldn't be much different than posting pictures and thoughts of the game on here.

That's face value for that seat, right?

Yeah, I'll PM you next week and maybe I can do some article about you that includes some of your thoughts about the experience, photos, etc.

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
He already is one though...he does regular writing assignments.

I get the mindset...actually I understand it completely...but he really already is one pretty much.

He writes pro style articles, he does it on a regular basis....that's a pro writer...an unpaid pro writer.

You don't need to tell me that. :lol I agree with you.

I used to write for free too. After a few years, I decided to make money off of it.

Eventually, we'll start a website called "Ellis Sports" and rival ESPN.com :hat

Amuseddaysleeper
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
That's face value for that seat, right?

Yeah, I'll PM you next week and maybe I can do some article about you that includes some of your thoughts about the experience, photos, etc.

yup, that's face value

I made a thread about it before since I've never shelled out that much for a ticket, but I figured this is a nice opportunity to spoil myself just once.

I just hope everyone is healthy for the game

*knocks on wood*

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
kori only interviews elite spurs fans who can drop large paper for seats

you'll never see mouse or whotttttttttttttt in a kori ellis article

:lmao

Kori Ellis
12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
yup, that's face value

I made a thread about it before since I've never shelled out that much for a ticket, but I figured this is a nice opportunity to spoil myself just once.

I just hope everyone is healthy for the game

*knocks on wood*

It's good to sit that close at least once. Very different perspective. That's a nice gift for yourself.

tlongII
12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Tell Kori she is welcome to clip and paste my posts on WOAI any time as well.

MoSpur
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I've seen his work there before and just assumed most in here knew about it.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-19-2007, 06:22 PM
ChumpDumper's chode swelled to critical mass that one time his post was on spurszone in the '04 season

Holt's Cat
12-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Holt's Cat
12-19-2007, 06:28 PM
ChumpDumper's chode swelled to critical mass that one time his post was on spurszone in the '04 season

"his"?

timvp
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
No offense to Cyber Bob but SpursTalk is actually the bigger stage :smokin

And no, posting on a forum doesn't make timvp a sports writer. Not even an unpaid or negatively paid sports writer. I'm just a fan like everyone else on this forum. The only difference between me and any other Spurs fan on here is I put all my thoughts after the game in one post instead of in multiple posts.

I have no ambition to write about the Spurs professionally. Following the Spurs is my favorite hobby but that's all I want it to be -- a hobby. Making it a job might ruin it for me and I don't want to take that chance.

Plus, the only person timvp has worked for past the age of 16 is timvp. That and praise makes me uncomfortable, so I'd rather fly below the radar.

But yeah thanks for the kind words in this thread ................ now someone delete it or lock it. Thanks in advance :)

SpursWoman
12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
What ... timvp doesn't enjoy major

http://athena.divshare.com/s03/files/2007/07/05/1156570/Ass_Kissing.jpg

? :lol

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2007, 07:05 PM
What ... timvp doesn't enjoy major

http://athena.divshare.com/s03/files/2007/07/05/1156570/Ass_Kissing.jpg

? :lol

When I first glanced at that, I thought the caption read "SHOOG"

SpursWoman
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
When I first glanced at that, I thought the caption read "SHOOG"

so did I ... :lmao

timvp
12-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I told Shoog to stop . . .

FromWayDowntown
12-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm a little disturbed to think what that guy might be kissing with, given the apparent location of his tongue (which I presume is sticking out of his mouth).

duncan228
12-19-2007, 07:19 PM
No offense to Cyber Bob but SpursTalk is actually the bigger stage :smokin

And no, posting on a forum doesn't make timvp a sports writer. Not even an unpaid or negatively paid sports writer. I'm just a fan like everyone else on this forum. The only difference between me and any other Spurs fan on here is I put all my thoughts after the game in one post instead of in multiple posts.

I have no ambition to write about the Spurs professionally. Following the Spurs is my favorite hobby but that's all I want it to be -- a hobby. Making it a job might ruin it for me and I don't want to take that chance.

Plus, the only person timvp has worked for past the age of 16 is timvp. That and praise makes me uncomfortable, so I'd rather fly below the radar.

But yeah thanks for the kind words in this thread ................ now someone delete it or lock it. Thanks in advance :)

You fly below the radar like the Spurs do...in a winning way.

I apologize if I caused you attention you did not want.
I was thrilled when I found it on SpursZONE, I wanted to let people here know.

From now on I will selfishly enjoy your thoughts and keep my comments in the thoughts thread.

Oh...You're not quite "just a fan like everyone else on the forum." There are some here that express themselves better than others when taking the games apart. You're one of those. You do it in one thread instead of all over the place, which really does make a difference. But your writing also makes a difference. As does your passion for this game and this team.

I've made it pretty clear that I love your thought threads. And so do lots of others here. It's a great gift you give this board after every game.
I look forward to reading them the rest of the season.

Okay, I'm done with praise and making you uncomfortable.
Where's whottt to stir things up?

tlongII
12-19-2007, 07:25 PM
:vomit

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
duncan228 = ultimate kiss-ass.
In a good way though. :)

SpursWoman
12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm a little disturbed to think what that guy might be kissing with, given the apparent location of his tongue (which I presume is sticking out of his mouth).

That's what drew me to that particular picture, as a matter of fact. :lol

smeagol
12-19-2007, 07:47 PM

I didn't mean to steal anything. I just didn't want anyone to think WOAI hired him or anything. I just copied and pasted his posts over there. I've done it with ChumpDumper's posts before too.

You should also post Sequ's

THE SIXTH MAN
12-19-2007, 11:13 PM
:hungry:

ShoogarBear
12-19-2007, 11:24 PM
so did I ... :lmaoYour fantasies I already knew about.

FWD, though, has me a little worried . . .

ShoogarBear
12-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh, and before you post the Game Thoughts for tonight's game, there is a warning in the game blog.

SequSpur
12-19-2007, 11:38 PM
If I write an article that really describes the shitbags behind Manu, Tim and Tony will you post that also? Enough of the trophy bullshit, these guys are a bunch of shitbags.

MaNuMaNiAc
12-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Entirely too much timvp love in here for one to feel comfortable...

Quick everybody!! time to counter duncan228's mushy, overly sentimental praising with some hardcore timvp hate! I'll start!

HEY LJ!!

http://www.lameinsult.com/images/middle-finger.jpg

MI21
12-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I can't believe I just read all this. All this praise, I feel as if timvp is Ruler of the Earth or something like that :lol

polandprzem
12-21-2007, 01:45 AM
I can't believe I just read all this. All this praise, I feel as if timvp is Ruler of the Earth or something like that :lol

He isn't?

:dramaquee

damn :pctoss

I've already sent him money to have a better quality in life.
He does not have such powers?

Why you didn't told me that sooner? :bang