PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams...legit prospect?

AFBlue
12-20-2007, 12:03 AM
I understand that Williams had a terrible showing in the Summer League and that Darius Washington showed too much promise to pass up....

But, Williams has been a solid player to start the season for the Austin Toros. He's averaging 17PPG, 6RPG, & 4APG and has really turned it up the last few games (29,26,29).

Everybody bagged on this guy for his awkward shot that seemed to miss rim more than it went in, but he's shooting a respectable 52% from the field.

His shot still needs work (less than 20% from 3pt) and he's still too skinny to fit the "long 3/small ball 4" mold, but can't we begin to consider this kid as a legitimate prospect for the future of the Spurs' franchise?

He'd get my vote....

ChumpDumper
12-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Maybe for next season. Gotta figure out how he could be used as a Spur -- I'm not quite sure what he's doing in the halfcourt sets would really translate to the Spurs as easily as DerMarr or even Langford. He is really good in transition though, both offense and defense.

Fillmoe
12-20-2007, 12:18 AM
the one in jerz.....

jdaveah
12-20-2007, 12:20 AM
He will not work in the Spurs halfcourt system. If we turn into a huge transition team then maybe. Until then he's sticking in Austin.

timvp
12-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Unless the Spurs suddenly need a 195 pound power forward, I don't think so.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-20-2007, 12:29 AM
I've only seen him play a few times, but I think he'll be a NBDL fodder his entire career

Fillmoe
12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
that frail cat on the spurs doesnt even own his name....

ItH58VdS5s0

AFBlue
12-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry...make that 19PPG now.

And timvp, what's with the relentless hate? I almost feel like I have to overhype this guy because of how badly you underrate him.

Yes, I agree that he is too skinny to play small-ball PF right now, but in case you missed Chump's many assessments, he actually plays most of his time at the 3. Give this guy some credit for rebounding from an absolutely terrible SL and playing some solid ball on a consistent basis.

Bottom Line: I don't mean to suggest that this kid will be ready for primetime even next year, but the Spurs obviously saw something in him and I wouldn't put it past them to keep an eye on him for the future (couple years down the road).

Just wanted to create some awareness of his more than decent play of late....

AFBlue
12-20-2007, 08:58 AM
that frail cat on the spurs doesnt even own his name....

ItH58VdS5s0

As opposed to the frail (injured) cat on the Nets that had off-court issues in college and has proven next to nothing (short of a few-game hot streak) on the NBA level?

That Marcus Williams?

I'm sorry....I don't think either really trumps the other.

timvp
12-20-2007, 04:53 PM
And timvp, what's with the relentless hate? I almost feel like I have to overhype this guy because of how badly you underrate him.? I had one line in this thread. And if you've followed what I've said about Marcus Williams, you would have seen where I said he'd flourish in the D-League as a quasi power forward. And that's the position he's playing now.

I'm happy he's playing better but to call him a legit prospect for the Spurs is a stretch because:

1) He's not even Spurs property. The Spurs have as much right to him as any other NBA team.

2) The Spurs can't pick him up without either waiving Darius Washington or trading away another player. The most likely outcome is to waive Washington, but even that is pretty unlikely.

3) The D-League is a very limited talent-wise right now. 19 points per game in the D-League is about as impressive as 9.5 points per game in Euroleague.

4) Williams refused to go to Europe when the Spurs asked him to. To think he'll wait around and simply be happy to be underpaid Spurs property is a reach. He's gone at the first sign of interest.

I thought he'd average double figures in D-League but I do admit his stats are better than I thought they'd be. However, I can't get too excited for a guy that the Spurs have no rights to, especially considering the only way he'll be there for the Spurs to sign next summer is if he doesn't get called up by another NBA team at some point this year. Meaning he'll have to remain a flawed player because a lot of super scrubs get called up from D-League each year.

We'll see but I don't think it's possible to elevate Williams' status as above "bad draft pick" at this point. He's showing some skills but the Spurs still made an error.

Fillmoe
12-20-2007, 05:56 PM
As opposed to the frail (injured) cat on the Nets that had off-court issues in college and has proven next to nothing (short of a few-game hot streak) on the NBA level?

That Marcus Williams?

I'm sorry....I don't think either really trumps the other.

one averaged 7 points and 3 assists in 16 minutes per game last year in the NBA, and the other is averaging 19/5/3 in the NBDL level.... HUGE DIFFERENCE!

not to mention he plays about 35 minutes a game.....