PDA

View Full Version : Current Players that will be Hall of Famers

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, I want to know who everyone thinks is a future hall of famer of current players.

For me it goes: Lebron, Kobe, AI, Nash, Dirk, Shaq, KG, Duncan, Ray Allen, JKidd...those are the only locks on my board that I could come up with off the top of my head. Others?

dirk4mvp
12-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Brandon Bass

monosylab1k
12-20-2007, 12:51 AM
Joe Jurevicius

SpursDynasty
12-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe from that list.

The rest are all wannabes coulda woulda shoulda's.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-20-2007, 12:54 AM
y's ray allen on ur list?

maybe i'm missing something?

ratm1221
12-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe from that list.

The rest are all wannabes coulda woulda shoulda's.

SpursDynasty doesn't know it yet, but I'm his real father. I take all the blame for bringing him in to this world. Next time I'll wear a rubber. Hey SD, how is your mom by the way?

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 01:03 AM
y's ray allen on ur list?

maybe i'm missing something?

i wrote the list out pretty quickly...i dunno, he was just a gut feeling

Purple & Gold
12-20-2007, 01:26 AM
SpursDynasty doesn't know it yet, but I'm his real father. I take all the blame for bringing him in to this world. Next time I'll wear a rubber. Hey SD, how is your mom by the way?

:lol :lol

atxrocker
12-20-2007, 04:24 AM
cp3 (fuck the haters) and k. durant

batboy
12-20-2007, 04:59 AM
Billups since the Pistons can't go in as a team.

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2007, 05:15 AM
ray allen? hahahahahahahahhaahahh

samikeyp
12-20-2007, 07:54 AM

Shoulda got a blow job instead.

stretch
12-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, I want to know who everyone thinks is a future hall of famer of current players.

For me it goes: Lebron, Kobe, AI, Nash, Dirk, Shaq, KG, Duncan, Ray Allen, JKidd...those are the only locks on my board that I could come up with off the top of my head. Others?
These 3 guys I have listed aren't locks, but I wouldn't rule them out by any means...

I think Vince Carter will be in. He is basically the modern day version of Dominique, but with more hops and a better shot.

If T-Mac wins some playoff games before his career is over, and stays healthy, he probably will too. He has fantastic stats, but needs to work on his playoff resume.

A guy I personally think should be mentioned, but more than likely wont be, is Paul Pierce. The guy is an incredible player, but has always had terrible teams around him. The only time before this year that he had any decent players, he had to deal with Walker jacking up 10 threes a game. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the game, and has a fantastic statistical resume, and at least an ECF appearance, and more than likely another one this year, possibly a finals appearance.

ArgSpursFan.
12-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Manu.

Sportcamper
12-20-2007, 10:09 AM
The Best Back-Up Big Man (http://www.samakiwalker.com/) in the History of the NBA...

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 10:32 AM
These 3 guys I have listed aren't locks, but I wouldn't rule them out by any means...

I think Vince Carter will be in. He is basically the modern day version of Dominique, but with more hops and a better shot.

If T-Mac wins some playoff games before his career is over, and stays healthy, he probably will too. He has fantastic stats, but needs to work on his playoff resume.

A guy I personally think should be mentioned, but more than likely wont be, is Paul Pierce. The guy is an incredible player, but has always had terrible teams around him. The only time before this year that he had any decent players, he had to deal with Walker jacking up 10 threes a game. I think he is one of the most underrated players in the game, and has a fantastic statistical resume, and at least an ECF appearance, and more than likely another one this year, possibly a finals appearance.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of them got in

easjer
12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I would agree with much of what has been said, but I will pimp Manu again. I'm not a member of CoM, but given the success he's had in the NBA and internationally, I can't imagine him not getting in.

batboy
12-20-2007, 01:41 PM
NFW Vince Carter is in.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Manu no chance...no Argentines in the HOF :spin

MrChug
12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
James M'fkn White!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpursDynasty
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Luis Scola

easjer
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Manu no chance...no Argentines in the HOF :spin

:lol

Seriously, though - with 3 rings, a couple of All-star appearances, Olympic gold - he doesn't make it in?!

mardigan
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Dwight Howard

SpursDynasty
12-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Dwight Howard? Flukes don't make the Hall of Fame.

TheNextGen
12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
for sure...kobe, shaq and Duncan.

Medvedenko
12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Kobe
Lebron
Kidd
Shaq
Nash
KG
TD

dickface
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Dwight Howard is a great player!!! Bitch get me some more wild wings!

Hemotivo
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
tp, irk and manu for the international stuff

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-20-2007, 03:38 PM
i wrote the list out pretty quickly...i dunno, he was just a gut feeling
If you think Ray Allen deserves to be a HOFer then what you were feeling in your gut was a puddle of his semen.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 03:52 PM
If you think Ray Allen deserves to be a HOFer then what you were feeling in your gut was a puddle of his semen.

there is a difference between who i think SHOULD get in and who i think WILL get in...the question i posed was who everyone thought WILL get in to the HOF.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
there is a difference between who i think SHOULD get in and who i think WILL get in...the question i posed was who everyone thought WILL get in to the HOF.

I know, I'm just trying to see if I can get X17 to take this "proof" of you and Ray Allen's affair and get TP and Eva out of the hot seat.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Regarding Ray Allen, i think he will make the HOF because of his high level of play in college and the NBA. Do I think he is hall worthy? Probably not, but I think he'll get in...i mean shit, george gervin is in the HOF :spin

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:07 PM

:lmao

Come on, play nicely. Leave Z alone, otherwise he won't come out for the next Mavs/Spurs game.

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Regarding Ray Allen, i think he will make the HOF because of his high level of play in college and the NBA. Do I think he is hall worthy? Probably not, but I think he'll get in...i mean shit, george gervin is in the HOF :spin

:rolleyes

Never mind. Fuck you.

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
OK, what about this as a question - when they redo the 50 greatest players, who makes it from current players and who gets cut?

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
:D

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Answer the question!

ATX Spur
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Subtract Ray Allen. Dirk has a good, sporting chance, but isn't a lock yet. If the Mavs ever win a championship, then his stock goes up. Ginobili, with his sterling record in Olympic play and the Euroleague and 3 championship rings, is a lock. Dwight Howard will get in, but for things he hasn't done yet.

Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Lebron, and KG are 'mortal' locks.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 04:24 PM
To Make it: Kobe, Lebron, Duncan...maybe Nash

I don't really know who to cut because I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on the older players like Paul Arizin, Billy Cunningham, etc

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
oh yea Dwight Howard will make HOF

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
That's where folks like Shoog come in handy.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Nash, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, and Kobe could retire tomorrow and would still be mortal locks for the hall of fame.

FromWayDowntown
12-20-2007, 04:44 PM
I think Manu is closer to a Hall of Fame certainty than most would assume.

Remember, this is the Basketball Hall of Fame -- not the NBA Hall of Fame. You have to consider international accomplishments along with what a player has done while in the NBA.

Given that criteria, it's pretty difficult to say that Manu Ginobili isn't the dominating international force of this decade. His resume is looking very much like Drazen Petrovic's, except that Manu has Olympic gold (his Argentine team is the only non-American squad to win Olympic gold in the era of professionals and the only non-American, non-Soviet team to ever win Olympic gold), Manu has been a dominant player in international competitions for a long period of time, and Manu has (on top of all of that) 3 NBA titles and an All-Star appearance to validate his international career.

peskypesky
12-20-2007, 04:47 PM
how about Mourning, Yao, Dwayne Wade and Tony Parker?

FromWayDowntown
12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
OK, what about this as a question - when they redo the 50 greatest players, who makes it from current players and who gets cut?

I'll help. Here's the original list:

THE 50 GREATEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Nate Archibald
Paul Arizin
Charles Barkley
Rick Barry
Elgin Baylor
Dave Bing
Larry Bird
Wilt Chamberlain
Bob Cousy
Dave Cowens
Billy Cunningham
Dave DeBusschere
Clyde Drexler
Julius Erving
Patrick Ewing
Walt Frazier
George Gervin
Hal Greer
John Havlicek
Elvin Hayes
Magic Johnson
Sam Jones
Michael Jordan
Jerry Lucas
Karl Malone
Moses Malone
Pete Maravich
Kevin McHale
George Mikan
Earl Monroe
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal
Robert Parish
Bob Pettit
Scottie Pippen
Willis Reed
Oscar Robertson
David Robinson
Bill Russell
Dolph Schayes
Bill Sharman
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas
Nate Thurmond
Wes Unseld
Bill Walton
Jerry West
Lenny Wilkens
James Worthy

Also, TNT added 10 to the list in 2005-06. The players added were:

Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Dominique Wilkins

peskypesky
I think Manu is closer to a Hall of Fame certainty than most would assume.

Remember, this is the Basketball Hall of Fame -- not the NBA Hall of Fame. You have to consider international accomplishments along with what a player has done while in the NBA.

Given that criteria, it's pretty difficult to say that Manu Ginobili isn't the dominating international force of this decade. His resume is looking very much like Drazen Petrovic's, except that Manu has Olympic gold (his Argentine team is the only non-American squad to win Olympic gold in the era of professionals and the only non-American, non-Soviet team to ever win Olympic gold), Manu has been a dominant player in international competitions for a long period of time, and Manu has (on top of all of that) 3 NBA titles and an All-Star appearance to validate his international career.

what he said

spursRgay
Mourning will get into the HOF

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
So, FWD - if you have to keep the list at 50 - who do you add and who gets cut? Do all 10 players of TNT's selection make it in, and at what cost?

Also, because I don't know - are there positional requirements for inclusion (10 players representing each traditional position) or just 50 best?

OldDirtMcGirt
12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
how about Mourning, Yao, Dwayne Wade and Tony Parker?

I think that Mourning will get in. At Tony's current pace, I'd have to say that he'll be borderline, but not make it. Same with Yao.

As for Wade, he's definitely on pace to make the hall, however so were Penny and Grant Hill. Injuries is the biggest thing standing in his way.

FromWayDowntown
12-20-2007, 05:17 PM
So, FWD - if you have to keep the list at 50 - who do you add and who gets cut? Do all 10 players of TNT's selection make it in, and at what cost?

Also, because I don't know - are there positional requirements for inclusion (10 players representing each traditional position) or just 50 best?

It's just the 50 best, regardless of position.

I haven't thought about subtracting anyone. I'm sure that most of the TNT 10 wouldn't make a revised top 50 list. I think you can automatically exclude the guys that were eligible (had long careers in the books by 1997) and didn't make it the first time around -- no Hawkins, no 'Nique, no McAdoo. I think Duncan, Kobe, and Garnett are probably no brainers to replace someone on the initial list. I think Iverson is probably close to that. I'd definitely exclude Reggie Miller and Gary Payton. That leaves only Jason Kidd who might warrant inclusion, IMO, from the TNT list.

I'm not sure, at this point, that guys like Lebron have done enough to be in the conversation for the Top 50 list. Shaq was in his 6th season IIRC when he was included and that was extremely controversial. I think we'll have to wait a bit longer on James, Nash, Paul, and some of the other kids.

Then I guess you have to ask if there are other active players who might be considered for inclusion on the Top 50 list who weren't on the Next 10 list a couple of years ago. I'd think there would be some push to consider Steve Nash. Had Dirk taken the Mavs to a title in 2007, there might be some argument for him as well. I'd say Nash is probably the only other guy who warrants any sort of consideration.

So, if it's me, you have a pool of Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Iverson, Kidd, and Nash. Like I say, you find room for the first 3 and then you see if you have room for the other 3.

I'm not sure who I would subtract from the original list. I'll give it some thought.

easjer
12-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Can't wait to hear. Your analysis is generally spot on. I enjoy reading your takes.

B and P Cats
12-21-2007, 04:32 AM
How about Robert Horry? Doesn't he have the most championship rings of any current player? That counts for something. Terry Bradshaw has always said he got into the Football Hall of Fame because he won so many championships, not because of his personal play.

mikejones99
12-21-2007, 05:07 AM
TD KG Mnu Parker Kobe Shaq Horry Marion, Nash, Amare, Bowen, SJax, Wade, Lebron and YAO and tmac are all in.

batboy
12-21-2007, 07:25 AM
How about Robert Horry? Doesn't he have the most championship rings of any current player? That counts for something. Terry Bradshaw has always said he got into the Football Hall of Fame because he won so many championships, not because of his personal play.

Kerr and Horry are locks for sheer number of deep playoff appearances and clutch plays. Anyone who has watched playoff basketball in the last two decades knows who these guys are, in many cases all too well.

ambchang
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Dirk is a virtual lock. I can't think of any MVPs who's not in the HoF.
The HoF isn't as difficult to get in as it should.
Dirk's career, at least individually, is definitely more impressive than HoFers:
Joe Dumars
Robert Parish
James Worthy
Alex English
Gail Goodrich
George Yardley
Dan Issel
Connie Hawkins
Dave Bing
Neil Johnston
and a whole host of others.

Tony Parker is not likely to get in based on his current accomplishments.
Yes, 3 rings, but he was a 3rd option in 03 and 05, and only became a leader figure in 07. His international accomplishments weren't that pronounced, and he had no college career to speak of. He probably would make it if he continues winning championships and leads France to greater success in international competition, but at this point? I woulld.
Horry and Kerr, no chance. They made memorable plays in the playoffs, but you don't see Gar Heard in the Hall. Those members of the 60's Celtics set a bad precedent, and the Hall has smartened up ever since.

Amarelooms
12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
TD KG Mnu Parker Kobe Shaq Horry Marion, Nash, Amare, Bowen, SJax, Wade, Lebron and YAO and tmac are all in.

Manu, Horry, MARION, BOWEN and STEVEN FUCKIN JACKSON??????????????? BTW Dirk is better than all those players....

You are a dumb fuck...please stop posting :elephant

FromWayDowntown
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I think that Mourning will get in. At Tony's current pace, I'd have to say that he'll be borderline, but not make it. Same with Yao.

As for Wade, he's definitely on pace to make the hall, however so were Penny and Grant Hill. Injuries is the biggest thing standing in his way.

I think Mourning will get in because he had a very good collegiate career -- that counts at the Naismith museum -- and a solid NBA career. As cynical as it sounds, it helps 'Zo's case to have had the kidney problems, because it allows for all sorts of "what if" speculation. According to Basketball Reference's Hall of Fame probability monitor, Zo's on about the same level as some pretty good players from their generations (Bernard King, Marques Johnson, Satch Sanders, Mark Aguirre) who aren't in. I think, when push comes to shove that Zo probably gets in, but I'd bet he'll have to wait quite a while to get there.

Parker, ironically, is the player immediately behind 'Zo in the Hall of Fame monitor rankings. I'm far less sold on Tony's HOF qualifications at this point than I am on Manu's, if only because of Manu's unrivaled international resume. Tony probably needs a few more All-Star games and a dominant international performance to improve his chances for enshrinement.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Basketball Hall of Fame hasn't historically enshrined many players for their NBA exploits. Outside of the top 50 players of All-Time, I count only 37 primarily-NBA players who've made the cut. Those guys either have tremendous NBA resumes -- of the 37 guys who didn't make the 50 at 50 list, 26 are players whose accomplishments in the NBA put them in Basketball Reference's Top 101 all-time in the Hall of Fame monitor category; the guys who aren't in that category generally guys who had exceptional collegiate or Olympic careers to go along with really good NBA careers (like David Thompson, Dan Issel, Calvin Murphy, Connie Hawkins, Bill Bradley, Tom Gola). This isn't the Hall of Guys Who Were Top 20 Players During Stretches of Their Careers. To get into the Hall, your NBA resume has to be quite impressive, or you'd better have some really remarkable exploits on another major level.

FromWayDowntown
12-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree that excluding Dirk from the Hall of Fame is pretty much ridiculous at this point. That's very different, though, than whether he would be included in a revised list of the Top 50 players of All-Time.

FromWayDowntown
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Horry and Kerr, no chance. They made memorable plays in the playoffs, but you don't see Gar Heard in the Hall. Those members of the 60's Celtics set a bad precedent, and the Hall has smartened up ever since.

I think the best argument for counting Horry out is the fact that Michael Cooper isn't ever mentioned as a Hall of Famer. Cooper had a much better career from an individual standpoint -- he was even DPOY at least once and made All-Defense teams 8 different times during his career -- and was a substantial part of 5 title-winners to Horry's 7 (and counting . . .).

I can certainly appreciate Horry's well-earned reputation as a great clutch player and could see that the Hall might even have an exhibit detailing the reasons for that reputation, but I don't see numbers or enough grand accomplishments to support Horry ever being inducted into the Hall.

J.T.
12-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Dirk :toast