PDA

View Full Version : Texas Takes Evolutionary Step Backwards

Nbadan
12-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Creationism - Fair and Balanced....

HOUSTON — A Texas higher education panel has recommended allowing a Bible-based group called the Institute for Creation Research to offer online master’s degrees in science education.

The action comes weeks after the Texas Education Agency’s director of science, Christine Castillo Comer, lost her job after superiors accused her of displaying bias against creationism and failing to be “neutral” over the teaching of evolution.

The state’s commissioner of higher education, Raymund A. Paredes, said late Monday that he was aware of the institute’s opposition to evolution but was withholding judgment until the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board meets Jan. 24 to rule on the recommendation, made last Friday, by the board’s certification advisory council.

Henry Morris III, the chief executive of the Institute for Creation Research, said Tuesday that the proposed curriculum, taught in California, used faculty and textbooks “from all the top schools” along with, he said, the “value added” of challenges to standard teachings of evolution.

“Where the difference is, we provide both sides of the story,” Mr. Morris said. On its Web site, the institute declares, “All things in the universe were created and made by God in the six literal days of the creation week” and says it “equips believers with evidences of the Bible’s accuracy and authority through scientific research, educational programs, and media presentations, all conducted within a thoroughly biblical framework.”

It also says “the harmful consequences of evolutionary thinking on families and society (abortion, promiscuity, drug abuse, homosexuality and many others) are evident all around us.”

Asked how the institute could educate students to teach science, Dr. Paredes, who holds a doctorate in American civilization from the University of Texas and served 10 years as vice chancellor for academic development at the University of California, said, “I don’t know. I’m not a scientist.”

He said he had no ready explanation for the panel’s recommendation. “I asked about the decision,” Dr. Paredes said Monday in a phone interview from Austin. “I got a three-inch-thick folder an hour ago. We’re going to give it a full review.” But, he said, “If it’s approved, we’ll make sure it’s of high quality.”

Approval would allow the institute, which moved to Dallas this year from near San Diego, to offer the online graduate program almost immediately while seeking accreditation from national academic authorities like the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges within two years.

In California, the only other state where Mr. Morris said the institute was offering degrees, it won recognition from the state superintendent of public instruction in 1981 but was denied license renewal in 1988. The institute sued and in 1992 won a $225,000 settlement that allowed it to continue offering degrees; it now operates under the California Department of Consumer Affairs. Dr. Morris said his program was accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, which is not recognized by Texas.

Last month, in a sign that Texas was being drawn deeper into creationism controversy, Ms. Comer, 57, was put under pressure to resign as science director after forwarding an e-mail message about a talk by a creationism critic, Barbara Forrest, a professor at Southeastern Louisiana State University.

Lizzette Reynolds, a deputy commissioner who called for Ms. Comer’s dismissal, later told The Austin American-Statesman she was surprised she resigned. Ms. Reynolds did not respond to a message left at her office.

The Texas Education commissioner, Robert Scott, told The Dallas Morning News that Ms. Comer was not forced out over the message, adding, “You can be in favor of science without bashing people’s faith.” He did not return phone calls to his office.

Ms. Comer said the commissioner should show her where she was bashing anyone’s faith. “He just doesn’t get it,” she said.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/education/19texas.htm)

A Science graduate from UT professes that the Universe was created in six days...that must be some good shit...

:smokin

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2007, 05:05 AM
god created the universe? hahaahahahhaha

give me the first edition of the bible, i dont think it mentions anything about the universe, untill mankind scientist made telescopes and found out there is a whole solar system and planets out there, that someone had to revise a few words that god created the universe? give me a fuckn break.

So whats next? aliens...god created them too? cant wait till next revise bible that comes out....what more shit are they going to feed....

the only thing thats useful in the bible is the 10 commandments which i think falls in line with other religion groups how you should live your life

PS. im non religious and grew up in a diverse multicultural community....there are things ppl say..you can agree and not agree, but i respect they're opinions...they cant feed you propaganda BS and agree with them....

jochhejaam
12-20-2007, 06:44 AM
i dont think
Duly noted.

PS. im non religious and grew up in a diverse multicultural community....there are things ppl say..you can agree and not agree, but i respect they're opinions[/B

[B]god created the universe? hahaahahahhaha

Major contradiction in these last 2 quotes.

If you'd like to straighten out your confusion you can:
A. Recant the part about "respecting" others opinions.
B. Apologize for disrespecting others opinions.
C. Or leave it the way it is thereby substantiating that have no understanding of the meaning of respect.

dimsah
12-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Why is it that people who don't believe in God think people who do believe in God are stupid?

some_user86
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Why is it that people who don't believe in God think people who do believe in God are stupid?

Not stupid for believing in God. Stupid for thinking that God was literal.

Extra Stout
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
From what I've read, the degree program may be approved, but not as science education. It may be approved only as some kind of religious studies program.

clambake
12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
but this is science to them.

TheProfessor
12-20-2007, 01:52 PM
christians, the most oversensitive group on spurstalk?
Or anywhere else.

George Gervin's Afro
12-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Well Christians aren't allowed to practice their religion anymore.... according to some of the culture warriors..

TheProfessor
12-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Well Christians aren't allowed to practice their religion anymore.... according to some of the culture warriors..
Exactly. They're just so oppressed.

This might open up schools to Pastafarianism though.

xrayzebra
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM
By some of the comments above I assume none of you will be
observing Christmas and will treat it as a day to work. Since
after all it is a Christian holiday.

Oh, you say you are going to observe the holiday. Why? Since
you think all Christians are a bunch of dummies who only
have their faith to guide them.

But again I am talking to a group who believe some Englishman
who tells you there is such a thing as evolution. But they just
cant seem to find that missing link, almost but not quite.

And you think mankind is going to kill itself off with global
warming when no one knows what the normal temperature of
the earth is to begin with.

Gee it is nice to be around such an educated, smart group. Who
help us Christians celebrate one of our greatest holidays.

Thanks guys.

some_user86
12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
By some of the comments above I assume none of you will be
observing Christmas and will treat it as a day to work. Since
after all it is a Christian holiday.

Oh, you say you are going to observe the holiday. Why? Since
you think all Christians are a bunch of dummies who only
have their faith to guide them.

Christmas was a pagan holiday that was revamped by ex-pagans who had converted to Christianity. Jesus's birthday is best estimated to be near June. Shall I send my gift to you then?

There is no such thing as the missing link in evolution. Every mutational step is a missing link. And since mutations occur slowly over time, every ancestor has importance. Evolution only says that things change over time. Are you denying that mutations occur? That is the only claim evolution has. That mutations occur over time and remain hidden; eventually, some event occurs that allows those beneficial mutations to help an organism to survive or reproduce better when their brethren can't. Antibiotic resistance is evidence of this. It never states from whence the original cell was created (though it can be hypothesized), which is not contradictory to a Christian view of the world. Most Christians today do not take the bible literally. Why couldn't God have created life in such a manner that is compatible with the evidence we have? Why couldn't God have created that primordial soup that allowed for the rise of that first cell? As a non-Christian who has done years of Christian scholarship, I never understood this. It's the same analysis from the times of the Inquisition when Galileo was put on trial for claiming that the sun, not the earth, was the center of the solar system, contradictory to Biblical interpretation then. A priest, years later, came to the analysis that if Biblical interpretation and facts come to a contradictory viewpoint, then perhaps our interpretation of the Bible is wrong. Who are we, the priest analyzed, to be so conceited to claim that we know truly God's ways?

And you think mankind is going to kill itself off with global
warming when no one knows what the normal temperature of
the earth is to begin with.

Gee it is nice to be around such an educated, smart group. Who
help us Christians celebrate one of our greatest holidays.

Thanks guys.

What? We most certainly can deduce what the temperature of the earth has been over the last 700,000 years. Most scientists never claimed that earth's temperature has not been warmer. In fact, to the contrary, we know that earth's climate has most definitely been warmer and is indeed locked in a cycle of heating and cooling. The claim has been that humans have artificially induced the warming phase of the cycle over 30,000 years earlier than it is supposed to be. And the heating is occurring at a faster rate than dictated by the normal cycle.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
hegamboa's chode = critical mass

Phenomanul
12-20-2007, 07:12 PM
hegamboa's chode = critical mass

Still obsessed?

Get over yourself.

balli
12-20-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm not going to argue with you over evolution and global warming, because well, I've never really been able to win an argument against a die-hard moron. However, I would like take this opportunity to belittle you and your fucked up views though.

Just in regards to you (the logical and sane people are exempt) I think this Mencken quote is incredibly apt.

It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man.

And just to let you know what I think of you in general-

The 100% American is 99% an idiot. -George Bernard Shaw

xrayzebra
12-20-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm not going to argue with you over evolution and global warming, because well, I've never really been able to win an argument against a die-hard moron. However, I would like take this opportunity to belittle you and your fucked up views though.

Just in regards to you (the logical and sane people are exempt) I think this Mencken quote is incredibly apt.

And just to let you know what I think of you in general-

Ahhh, you gonna hurt my feelings if you aren't careful.

I noticed none of you had anything to say about
going to work on Christmas day. A Christian holiday.

What a bunch of whimps. And follow the line, it is
about all you know how to do.

Of course evolution is correct. Because someone told
you it was and it is the thing to believe in.

And for the poster about mutations, of course I believe
in mutations. I have you to show me how it occurs.
What are you evolving to.

Enjoy our holiday. Christmas.

some_user86
12-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Ahhh, you gonna hurt my feelings if you aren't careful.

I noticed none of you had anything to say about
going to work on Christmas day. A Christian holiday.

What a bunch of whimps. And follow the line, it is
about all you know how to do.

I believe I addressed that it was a pagan holiday hijacked by converted Christians.

Of course evolution is correct. Because someone told
you it was and it is the thing to believe in.

And for the poster about mutations, of course I believe
in mutations. I have you to show me how it occurs.
What are you evolving to.

Enjoy our holiday. Christmas.

What?

Yes, I too should learn to stop being baited by these morons. Alas, my competitive nature sometimes gets the better of me, and I end up feeding the trolls.

Mavtek
12-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Why is it that people don't believe me when I say it is me who is actually god and it is you who must have faith in that? Do you not see the words that I type? Have faith as I am god and these posts will be my book.

I am the all knowing, all seeing, and all powerful, and I need your money.

For the record I do not think that all those that believe in God are stupid, if that were the case people like Joe Olsteen would not be extremely wealthy as he is clearly somewhat intelligent. It's those that send him and people like Benny Hinn money that I question.

xrayzebra
12-21-2007, 10:38 AM
I believe I addressed that it was a pagan holiday hijacked by converted Christians.

What?

Yes, I too should learn to stop being baited by morons. Alas, my competitive nature sometimes gets the better of me, and I end up feeding the trolls.

You are right about being baited by morons. I should
learn. Trying to talk to a closed minded, open minded,
person like you really is senseless.

And since Christmas is a pagan holiday, like I said,
I assume you will be at work that day.

Surely you wouldn't want to celebrate such a holiday us
Christians hijacked. Right?

DarkReign
12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
You are right about being baited by morons. I should
learn. Trying to talk to a closed minded, open minded,
person like you really is senseless.

And since Christmas is a pagan holiday, like I said,
I assume you will be at work that day.

Surely you wouldn't want to celebrate such a holiday us
Christians hijacked. Right?

Not quite. Because if youre white and of European descent, youre most likely traced to paganism.

Roman Emperors declared Christmas as Jesus' birthday as a concession to the people they were crucifying during the Christian revolution throughtout Rome.

The Emperor himself was a pagan who converted to Christianity on his deathbed. Some say it was to end the violence in his kingdom, others a political move to further the indoctrination of the masses.

Either way, all we know is bullshit. Just depends on how much you intend to believe and how disappointed youre going to be when we find out how incredibly wrong we have always been.

balli
12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
For the record I do not think that all those that believe in God are stupid

I don't think they're stupid either. I fact I'm quite the theist myself. I do find stupid though, the people that think their belief in God is incompatible with evolution. Literal believers of the bible are morons.

As for you ray, since you're all into the whole Christmas is for Christians thing. Have you ever heard of culture? I know you actually are a culture (as in bacterial growth, if you do indeed admit that bacteria even exist) but I mean, you do realize that Christmas is far more cultural for America than it is religious. Even for the die-hard christians, which doesn't say much for them now does it?

Have fun bombarding yourself and others with material wealth this christmas. I can't think of a better way for such a good christian as yourself to honor Jesus than by celebrating His birth with material luxery and selfishness. :greedy

Extra Stout
12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't think they're stupid either. I fact I'm quite the theist myself. I do find stupid though, the people that think their belief in God is incompatible with evolution. Literal believers of the bible are morons.
American evangelical rejection of mainstream science is the snowball effect of very subtle theological errors from centuries ago. Ironically, those errors were centered around the reduction of Christian doctrine to fit a rationalist framework.

As for you ray, since you're all into the whole Christmas is for Christians thing. Have you ever heard of culture? I know you actually are a culture (as in bacterial growth, if you do indeed admit that bacteria even exist) but I mean, you do realize that Christmas is far more cultural for America than it is religious. Even for the die-hard christians, which doesn't say much for them now does it?

Have fun bombarding yourself and others with material wealth this christmas. I can't think of a better way for such a good christian as yourself to honor Jesus than by celebrating His birth with material luxery and selfishness. :greedy
Virtually none of our Christmas rituals have their root in Christianity. I'm not saying Christians should abandon them, since clearly the ideas behind the original festivals can be readily adapted to Christian doctrine through allegory.

Theologically, the Incarnation should be subordinate to the Resurrection in its celebration anyway. The reason it isn't here is anthropological and economic.