PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker says he's ready; Popovich stays mum

some_user86
12-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Spurs notebook: Parker says he's ready; Popovich stays mum

Web Posted: 12/20/2007 12:18 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Spurs notebook

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Spurs point guard Tony Parker says his stint on the injured list is over. His coach, perhaps playing coy, isn't so sure.
Parker missed his fourth consecutive game with a sprained left ankle Wednesday night at Memphis. He promises it will be his last.

Asked if he was prepared to play Saturday at home against the Los Angeles Clippers, Parker smiled and said, "Yes, definitely."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, however, isn't ready to pronounce Parker good to go just yet.

"I don't know," Popovich said. "We'll see."

Parker originally suffered the sprain in a Nov. 30 victory at Minnesota. He played on it for four games before Popovich finally shut him down.

After Wednesday's 88-85 loss at Memphis, the Spurs are 1-3 without him.

Before the game, Parker went through some light conditioning work. The Spurs want to see how he responds in workouts over the next few days before making a decision on his playing status.

Backup center Francisco Elson — the other Spur out with an ankle sprain Wednesday night — remains day-to-day.

Back in town: Spurs rookie Darius Washington, a former Memphis Tiger, returned to his old college arena, the FedEx Forum, as an NBA player for the second time.

This visit came via an ankle sprain.

Washington was called up from the NBA Development League when Parker went on the shelf last week. Had Parker not been hurt, Washington would have been with the Austin Toros in Colorado.

"It was kind of a blessing to be here," Washington said.

Washington celebrated his good fortune by scheduling a visit with his 2-year-old son, Darius III, who lives in Memphis.

Gasol a no-go: The Grizzlies were without center Pau Gasol for the fourth consecutive game. Gasol is still recovering from a jammed toe suffered in a Dec. 13 practice session.

D-League savior: As part of his recently ended job hunt, NBDL star Jeremy Richardson was in San Antonio late last week for a visit with Spurs officials.

By Tuesday, he was a member of the Memphis Grizzlies. The Grizzlies even waived a once-upon-a-time starter, Tarence Kinsey, to get him.

A 6-foot-7 swingman, Kinsey was generally regarded as the top unassigned player in the D-League. He was averaging 28.5 points per game with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, edging out Washington for the league lead by three tenths of a point.

Richardson was not in uniform for Memphis.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122007.03C.BKNspurs.notebook.2e698f6.html

timvp
12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Asked if he was prepared to play Saturday at home against the Los Angeles Clippers, Parker smiled and said, "Yes, definitely."
:hungry:

I don't know if I'm more excited about the return of Parker to the starting lineup or the return of Jacque Vaughn to the bench.

polandprzem
12-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Hopefully Pop will not let tony play too soon.

TDMVPDPOY
12-20-2007, 07:18 AM
pop is tankn, so he doesnt have to coach the ASG

m33p0
12-20-2007, 07:23 AM
pop is tankn, so he doesnt have to coach the ASG

if he is, he is doing a fucking good job at it. real fucking good. way to screw the fans. argh. :bang

can we please start winning some games?! please!? if it isn't too much to ask?! he can come up with some excuse if he doesn't want to coach the West, like a sprained ankle or sumthin.

BonnerDynasty
12-20-2007, 10:45 AM

I don't know if I'm more excited about the return of Parker to the starting lineup or the return of Jacque Vaughn to the bench.

Vaughn has done damn good I have thought.

His shooting has been great.

SouthernFried
12-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Vaughn has done good. If your looking to fault people, look elsewhere, there is plenty of blame to go around...and no shortage of blamers taking due advantage.

Vaughn is doing his job. Parker need not rush back.

Now, rest MANU for a month or so.

SpurOutofTownFan
12-20-2007, 06:53 PM

lol

LaMarcus Bryant
12-20-2007, 07:45 PM
The V-Town Crew will be representin' at that Clipper game in FULL FORCE

Parker better f'n play

ploto
12-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Meanwhile Beno had 24 points last night on 9-13 shooting, including 11 points in the fourth quarter during which it went from tied to blow out. :D

whottt
12-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Pop is probably enjoying the losing...I know I am. Winning early makes me nervous.

ShoogarBear
12-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Pop is probably enjoying the losing...I know I am. Winning early makes me nervous.whottt, you coming to the game Saturday? My ticket offer is still open.

ShoogarBear
12-20-2007, 08:11 PM