PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the officiating thus far?

LakeShow
12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Last night I saw a lot of questionable calls. I watched Billups knock the Celtics pg right out of bounds in front of the Ref with no call. In the Mavs/Suns game I watched a lot of flopping being called (I thought they were not supposed to call that anymore?) and I watched Amare flop without even being touched and got the call. Overall I guess it's been ok, imo.

What are your thoughts?

DOMINATOR
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
same as last year... horrible.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Par for the course.

No better or worse than officials/refs in the NFL or NHL.

easjer
12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Given that refs are human - it's never going to be as good as I would like, because there are inconsistencies between officials, inadvertent favoring of certain players or styles of play, outside influences playing in (such as, say HCA or even Cuban's bitching, televised nationally or no). It doesn't seem blatantly worse than last year, but compared to a few years ago, when players could play - worse, I think.

I'd be curious to hear FWD's take, because he usually has a solid analysis of refs and officiating.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
any games the mavs lose has terrible officiating

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
any games the mavs lose has terrible officiating

:lol

Spoken like a true disciple of Mark Cuban.

DubMcDub
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
:lol

Spoken like a true disciple of Mark Cuban.

Good thing he was joking. Oh, and Spurs fans never bitch about refs. Well, except for Games 2, 3, 4, and 7 of the 2007 WCSF, anyway.

:rolleyes

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Good thing he was joking. Oh, and Spurs fans never bitch about refs. Well, except for Games 2, 3, 4, and 7 of the 2007 WCSF, anyway.

:rolleyes
No shit! Hence the :lol . . .

And I didn't bitch after game 2 or 3 - just game 4 (the officiating was atrocious). Also there was no game 7.

If you are referring to 2006 - there was some piss poor officiating across the board in 2006. Mavs benefited in the WCSF and got fucked in the Finals.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
everybody bitches about officiating when their team loses...overall, NBA refs have been pretty much the same this year, :bang

easjer
12-20-2007, 04:22 PM
everybody bitches about officiating when their team loses...overall, NBA refs have been pretty much the same this year, :bang

No, some of us bitch even when we win.

The main point though is the differentiation between bitching about poor officiating and blaming it for the loss.

I do a lot of the former and little of the latter - it is incumbent on a team to get a feel for what is being called and adjust to the calls being made. A winning team rises above the officiating, a losing team blames it for the loss.

That's what frustrates me so much about inconsistent officiating. I may be annoyed by calls made or not made, but I care a lot less if a game is being called evenly. Incidental contact needs to be called the same in the first seconds of play and the last seconds of play. Rules shouldn't be changed or ignored because it's a close game with time running down. Contact should be called evenly on both ends of the court.

As far as I can tell - that is happening with about the same frequency as ever in the past few years. There are some refs notorious for their inability to call an even game or resist the ability to influence a game with selective calls (Salvatore, Nies, Bevetta, Rush come to my mind). Given that they are still around and haven't changed in recent memory, I expect little to change except for the continuing efforts to make the sport non-contact and influence outside shooting and high scoring.

Armando
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Same as last year

Armando
12-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I want to see how they officiate in the playoffs this season.

SpursDynasty
12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
No shit! Hence the :lol . . .

And I didn't bitch after game 2 or 3 - just game 4 (the officiating was atrocious). Also there was no game 7.

If you are referring to 2006 - there was some piss poor officiating across the board in 2006. Mavs benefited in the WCSF and got fucked in the Finals.

Actually, Miami was just the better team in the 2006 Finals, it wasn't bad officiating, just a team going out and doing what they were supposed to do.

spursRgay
12-20-2007, 06:41 PM
when a game is decided by a phantom foul, i'd say that was pretty bad officiating

SpursDynasty
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
The Game 5 Wade foul?

I guess you haven't seen the video that the NBA provided to ESPN. Different angle, clear foul.

BonnerDynasty
12-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Inconsistent....it always is INCONSISTENT.

It will be inconsistent in the playoffs, and the referees will determine the outcome.

NBA refs suck and have too much control on the outcome of games.

Plus the bias refs have against certain players/teams.

spursRgay
12-21-2007, 01:41 AM
The Game 5 Wade foul?

I guess you haven't seen the video that the NBA provided to ESPN. Different angle, clear foul.

must have been the angle salvatore had when he called the foul from half court

LakeShow
12-21-2007, 03:16 PM
I retract my OK statement. The officiating is no different than it was a year ago. The NBA is corrupted!

J.T.
12-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Miami only beat us because the refs gave Wade a complimentary room at the Free Throw Line Hotel.

Officer Slater
12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah I know, technically Duncan should be ejected the first quarter in every game as much as that bitch whines.

BonnerDynasty
12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah I know, technically Duncan should be ejected the first quarter in every game as much as that bitch whines.

Go drive into a light pole.