PDA

View Full Version : Is "game winner" shot is...

polandprzem
12-30-2004, 06:48 AM
Always at the end of the game ( last seconds)? Or it could be with , for example, 2 minutes left?
2 min left ->someone giving the lead with jumper -> noone score after that .
Was that shot a game winner?

Just want to be 100% sure. Because for me it is.

boutons
12-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Any deciding shot in the last 2 - 3 minutes, I would consider a "dagger", putting the game in all probability out of reach.

Game-winner usually means the deciding shot in the last 10 or so seconds, leaving the opposition no or very little time to respond.

polandprzem
12-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks.
But 2-3 min. to go you are not sure that this shot is the last. You have one point lead, why is that a dagger?
Dagger is ....well , the Sean Elliott shot??? In 1999 campaign. Trail Blazers keep that in mind and they mentaly just couldnt react to that.

That was also a game winner. So you could say that game winner is the last shot in the game witch gives the lead. (no one scores after that)
Am I correct?

Brodels
12-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks.
But 2-3 min. to go you are not sure that this shot is the last. You have one point lead, why is that a dagger?

Because it makes it very difficult for the opponent to recover.

That was also a game winner. So you could say that game winner is the last shot in the game witch gives the lead. (no one scores after that)
Am I correct?

I think you're technically correct: any player making the last basket when his team is behind and the basket leads to a win is making a gamewinning shot.

But I think most people consider a gamewinner to be a shot made with under ten seconds left on the clock...when the game is tied or your team is behind and you come up with a basket with practically no time remaining.

I think you look at it in a literal fashion, and I think that most would simply look at it in a different way. To most people, a shot made with two minutes left in a game cannot be considered a gamewinner, no matter what the circumstances are.