View Full Version : Top Commentators on national TV

SpursDynasty
12-21-2007, 12:36 AM
1. Marv Albert
2. Hubie Brown
3. Doc Rivers
4. Jeff Van Gundy
5. Bill Walton

The worst would be Reggie Miller and that guy that goes "BANG!" whenever a player makes a clutch shot.

batboy
12-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Marv Albert is an announcer, not a commentator. Please tell me Walton is on your list for comic relief.

Hubie is the best when he can keep up with the play, too often he can't finish his thought before something more comment-worthy happens on the floor.

BANG!... is that the Czar or w/e?

VanGundy is sharp but comes off as a real asshole. Jon Barry is fun, and I really miss Steve Kerr.

I would have to go:

1. Hubie
2. VanGundy
3. Barry

J.T.
12-21-2007, 07:42 AM
I miss Steve Kerr's obviously biased comments, too. Never would have known he was employed by the Suns when he was still with TNT :rolleyes

ata
12-21-2007, 08:23 AM
I can't say anything for the US, however, during game Olimpija (SLO) -Olympiakos (GRE) in the Euroleague, where Olimpija played poorly at best, commentator on Slovenian national TV said: "Dear TV-viewers, you can take the remote control and change the channel, unfortunately, I have to watch this to the end."

balli
12-21-2007, 09:20 AM
The only way to asses this is to judge entire announcing teams.

The all-time worst was two seasons ago: Mike Breen with Bill Walton and Steve "Snapper" Jones. Breen was miserable about the situation, Walton and Jones wouldn't ever stop bickering about things that made absolutely no sense to begin with. And all in all it was probably the most awkward fucked up crew I've ever seen on TV, for any event, ever. It was just awful.

I thought Marv and Kerr were great, despite the Suns bias. Marv and The Czar were always my favorite until Fratello left for Memphis. Why the fuck they are forcing those two to sit with Reggie Miller, now that The Czar is back, is beyond me.

Reggie Miller sucks. He says awkward things that hang in the air like a rotten fart. He brings nothing to the table other than obvious observations, pitiful attempts at humor and awkward moments where he makes dorky jokes. He reminds me of the kid in your elementary school who desperately wanted to be popular, but at the end of the day never figured out how to do so, in turn making him look even more pathetic for trying.

I think Kevon Harlan and Doug Collins do a good job. At least in comparison to most of these other kooks.

Is Mike Breen with Mark Jackson this year? I've always liked Breen alot with the right surrounding talent, but he might just be doing MSG games only now. Either way, Mark Jackson is better than Jon Barry, but still, they ain't no Kerr, Fratello or Rivers. In fact, I think Jon Barry is one of the most biased pieces of shit to ever openly root against my team on national TV.

In summation, they mostly suck, barring the TNT guys, who I wish would take the probably awkward step of firing Reggie Miller and making sure he is never heard from again.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-21-2007, 09:32 AM
1. Hubie Brown
2. Jeff Van Gundy
3. Doug Collins

Worst ones:

1. Reggie Miller
2. Jon Barry
3. Bill Walton

I like Hubie and JVG because you actually learn about the game, whereas a majority of the other commentators you kinda just get the same info you'd expect from a radio broadcast in which are people are simply trying to tell you what's happening.

JVG with Hubie Brown would be a cool combo.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I like Hubie Brown. Jeff Van Gundy is kind of funny, though kinda biased and whiney at other times.
I'm neutral with Kevon Harlan and Doug Collins, Marv Albert is just whatever.

Bill Walton used to annoy the fuck out of me, but he's hard to take seriously anymore, so he's sometimes amusing. "Shaq is the greatest inbound passer of all time" because he's just so ridiculous

and this one I liked of his, commentating on a Lebron dunk over the pistons. "The posterization...of the imaginary defender" :lol

GlbvS_hlIcE

Most of them I don't like either because they suck, or I don't notice anything too great. They're either biased, whiney, or just plain awful at takes. Steve Kerr would make stupid comments a lot of times like saying "it's pretty much done. I think my pet-peeve is when announcers concede when the game is over when there's a hell of a lot more time, or when they misread a call with their homer glasses on and the replay proves otherwise and they shut up and try to pretend they didn't say anyting.
Reggie makes the bottom of my list.

In summation, they mostly suck, barring the TNT guys, who I wish would take the probably awkward step of firing Reggie Miller and making sure he is never heard from again.
:lol, yeah, it would be both hilarious and commendable for him to get fired..

sribb43
12-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Back on NBC i used to like the combo of Walton and Snapper Jones. I wish JVG was still on TNT so he could pair up with marv and the czar, instead of that spare Mike Breen. Marc Jackson is God awful; if i hear him say one more time "Your better than that" about a player im gonna break my speakers.

I will say Mark Jones is respectable on ESPN and Hubie of course if money. Also, why did they stick Bill Walton in the studio, he is more valuable commentating on the game. What did Bill do wrong that he has to suffer with Screamin A. Smith?

Armando
12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Jeff Van Gundy

Jon Barry

Doug Collins

balli
12-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Back on NBC i used to like the combo of Walton and Snapper Jones
Uhhhhhhhhh-

Are you out of your mind?

Also, why did they stick Bill Walton in the studio, he is more valuable commentating on the game. What did Bill do wrong that he has to suffer with Screamin A. Smith

Um... for about twenty years he said a bunch of pointless garbage like this-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FSZS6sRVWsk&feature=related

Can't believe you would actually want Bill Walton calling games again.

sribb43
12-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh-

Are you out of your mind?

Um... for about twenty years he said a bunch of pointless garbage like this-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FSZS6sRVWsk&feature=related

Can't believe you would actually want Bill Walton calling games again.

Bill Walton or Mark Jackson? Id take a load of bricks calling the game over Mark Jackson

balli
12-21-2007, 01:41 PM
You got me there. I guess I forgot who the alternative currently is.

duncan228
12-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I like Kevin Harlen and Doug Collins.
I like Hubie Brown, but I find he's beginning to make mistakes as he gets older. (How old is he anyway?)
Jon Barry has the Barry humor, I like that.
Marv Alpert is such a staple it's hard to imagine TNT without him.
Former players and coaches always seem to have an "inside" edge to their commentary, I like that.
Bill Walton I liked for a long time but the last couple of seasons I've lost my taste for him.

SpursDynasty
12-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Best team of all time - Marv Albert, Bill Walton, Steve Snapper Jones in 2002

Thunder Dan
12-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Hubie Brown is my favorite in basketball. He isn't biased and he seems like he is really smart and down to earth about what he is doing.

In the NFL, Bryant Gumble is the worst annoucer in the history of sports. He just drones on and on about usless crap and trys to make conversation insted of annoucing the game in front of him. He is like if you give a mic to a girl that has never watched football before, he just wants to talk about anything other than the game. Plus, he called Frank Gore 'Al Gore' twice last week...

OldDirtMcGirt
12-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I hate three man booths. Unless they have exceptional chemistry, all of the dialog sounds stilted and forced.

Mark Jackson, Jon Barry, and Reggie Miller all blow undeniable amounts of ass. They make really, really obvious comments, bad jokes, and talk about shit that I have no interest in.

I'm one of the few that loves Bill Walton doing games, because he makes them interesting and once in a while he'll make a really good point. The biggest thing with Walton is that he brings alot of passion to the games. That's what really makes the best announcers, when you can tell just be listening to them that they love basketball.

Jeff Van Gundy and Hubie Brown are also very good. Doug Collins is passable.

LEONARD
12-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Steve Kerr has a free pass for life after hitting those treys.

Uggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh...I was at the MF'ing game...son of a bitch...

Ronaldo McDonald
12-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Bill Walton - he keeps me interested with his exaggerations. i think it's funny.
Jeff Van Gundy - same thing as walton, but i think he's got a differnt sense of humor w/ more sacrasm and irony funny guy
doug collins - knows his shit.
john barry - usually doens't say anything about the game i don't already know or wasn't thinking of, but is a bit more argumentive and opinionated than most if not all of the guys and i like that. he's also got a good sense of humor