PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Re-Assign Darius Washington To Austin Toros

Bruno
12-21-2007, 12:59 PM
The San Antonio Spurs have re-assigned rookie guard Darius Washington to their NBA Development League affiliate, the Austin Toros. Washington was previously assigned to the Toros on Nov. 29 before being recalled to the Spurs on Dec. 13. Washington’s re-assignment is the 23rd assignment of an NBA player to the D-League this season.

The 6-2, 195-pound free agent signed with San Antonio on Oct. 1, 2007 and has appeared in 18 games for the Spurs this season averaging 2.9 points and 1.1 rebounds while shooting .438 from the field.

During his first assignment to the Toros, Washington started all four games he appeared in and averaged a team-best 28.2 points, 8.5 rebounds, 6.2 assists and 2.0 steals in 38.5 minutes. The 6-2 guard recorded his first professional triple-double when he finished with 26 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists in a game against the Tulsa 66ers on Dec. 8.

Washington will join Spurs teammate Ian Mahinmi and a Toros team that currently holds a 7-3 record and is tied for second place in the Southwest Division. He will join the team for tonight’s game against the Utah Flash in Orem, Utah.

Link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49859/20071221/spurs_re_assign_darius_washington_to_austin_toros/)

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Should be enough to stop the losing streak. He should score at least 30 tonight.

Bruno
12-21-2007, 01:07 PM
So Parker should be back tomorrow against Clippers.
Washington has also 6 D-League games to play before his nba contract become guaranteed. I wonder if Spurs have already chosen to keep him or to waive him or if they will wait to see what he will do in these games before taking their decision. I guess that his turnovers and assist/turnover ratio will be crucial for him if Spurs are still undecided about his future.

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I think they are going to keep him for the season at least. The only person I could possibly see them waiving him for would be CJ Watson.

Bruno
12-21-2007, 01:17 PM
If Spurs want a nba ready 3rd string PG, I can see them signing Mike Wilks. eh knows the team and is decent. He will be waived by Wizards before January because keeping him the whole year will put them above the tax and costs a lot of money.
They can also decide to have Barry/Ginobili as 3rd string PG and sign a swingman.
But I agree with you, they likely will keep him. I will be surprised if they waive him.

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Wouldn't Wilks put them over the tax threshold? That and the perceived need for a long-term solution at the backup point makes me think they won't go the vet route.

MrChug
12-21-2007, 01:35 PM
I like DW alot.

I like his agressiveness offensively and defensive effort. I think the offense is SO stagnant when Jacque is in the game especially in the half court offense.

Jacque Vaughn won his job back against Memphis.

Bruno
12-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Wouldn't Wilks put them over the tax threshold?

Waiving Washington and signing Wilks for the reminder for the season won't put Spurs over the luxury tax threshold. Both count for $771K (minimum salary for a 2 years vet) against the luxury tax.

That and the perceived need for a long-term solution at the backup point makes me think they won't go the vet route.

Do you there are an area of play where CJ Watson is a better prospect than Washington ? Washington weakness is his PG skills but Watson is also weak in this area. The only think Watson could have is to be maybe one inch bigger. As someone who doesn't know them as well as you, Watson seems to be a poor man Washington.
Is there in D-League a young PG (outside Watson) worth being called up ?

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Waiving Washington and signing Wilks for the reminder for the season won't put Spurs over the luxury tax threshold. Both count for $771K (minimum salary for a 2 years vet) against the luxury tax.Wilks wouldn't count for more as a five-year vet? That's how minimum salaries are counted for everybody?

Do you there are an area of play where CJ Watson is a better prospect than Washington ? Washington weakness is his PG skills but Watson is also weak in this area. The only think Watson could have is to be maybe one inch bigger. As someone who doesn't know them as well as you, Watson seems to be a poor man Washington.I agree with that assessment for the most part. The only reason I really mention him is that he has a little experience with the Spurs and is the only other point guard playing at the level in the D-League.

Is there in D-League a young PG (outside Watson) worth being called up ?Not at this time. The best pass-first guards are small and real defensive liabilities and/or can't shoot at all.

Bruno
12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Wilks wouldn't count for more as a five-year vet? That's how minimum salaries are counted for everybody?

Players with minimum salaries count for their salaries against the luxury tax/salary cap but you have two exceptions :
- When a player, who has signed has a FA, is paid less the minimum salary for a player with 2 years of service, he counts against the luxury tax as a player with the 2 years of service minimum salary.
- When a player with more than 2 years of service, sign a minimum contract for one year or less, he counts as a player paid the minimum with 2 years of service against the Luxury tax and the salary cap. The league paid the difference between his salary and the 2 years of service salary.

Washington is under the first exception, Wilks will be under the second. Both count as a 2 years of service player with a minimum salary.
Vaughn has signed a two years contract. Unlike what I've said this summer (I was wrong), his full salary count against the luxury tax and the league didn't pay a part of it.

Budkin
12-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Hope this means TP is back in the lineup! D Wash has been a good fit with us but the slump needs to end now.

timvp
12-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Washington has sucked the last couple games on the NBA level. Pop's level of trust in him is probably lower than it ever was with Beno.

That said, Washington has a chance to go to the Toros and prove why he's worth keeping around. If he can continue to dominate the D-League, the Spurs will probably keep him the rest of the year, let him play in summer league and then fight for a roster spot again in next year's training camp.

Bruno
12-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Hope this means TP is back in the lineup! D Wash has been a good fit with us but the slump needs to end now.

Parker has said today in a French interview about his injury :
" I feel way better. I had an inflammation. I had no choice, I had to rest to be health myself. I'm today well rested. I've planed to be back for the Clipper game. I will talk to Pop and say him that I'm ready to play."

picnroll
12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm not impressed with Washington. He can't create at all. The eternal search for the backup PG continues.