PDA

View Full Version : why all the AJ hate?

mouse
12-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Did you forget who made the wining basket to put a ring on the San Antonio Spurs fingers after 25 years?

Hell you should retire his fucking boxer shorts!

why all the AJ hate?

:wakeup

m33p0
12-21-2007, 07:29 PM
because many feel san antonio would have had more success if only AJ could hit more jumpshots :lol

mouse
12-21-2007, 07:31 PM
because many feel san antonio would have had more success if only AJ could hit more jumpshots :lol

ok then trade back the 1999* NBA Championship ring for AJ not getting his props and we call it even!

Mavs08
12-21-2007, 07:47 PM
To hell with Spur fans AJ is now a Dallas maverick and he will put a ring on our finger after he wins the 2008 NBA Championship!

J.T.
12-21-2007, 07:51 PM
To hell with Spur fans AJ is now a Dallas maverick and he will put a ring on our finger after he wins the 2008 NBA Championship!

Hells yeah Let's go Mavs!

duncan228
12-21-2007, 07:54 PM
mouse (and friends) in the house on a Friday night...could liven the place up some...

E20
12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
The Mavs suck though.

MavTalker
12-21-2007, 07:56 PM

Rack this Vato!

J.T.
12-21-2007, 07:58 PM
The Mavs suck though.

Wait till we whip some Spurs ass again in May.

johngateswhiteley
12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
b/c Spurs fans are stupid.

J.T.
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Post of the year!

vacuum
12-21-2007, 08:00 PM
The Mavs suck though.

It's a living.....

Re-Animator
12-21-2007, 08:03 PM

SpursReport needs you!

SenorSpur
12-21-2007, 08:06 PM
One crucial jumpshot in the clinching game of the NBA Finals does not merit a jersey retirement. With all apologies to Mr. Body, where's the body of work?

m33p0
12-21-2007, 08:13 PM
ok then trade back the 1999* NBA Championship ring for AJ not getting his props and we call it even!

you can keep the *.

Charlie-In-The-Box
12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
AJ is a misfit!

duncan228
12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
I count 5. Maybe 6, I'm never completely sure. :p:

baseline bum
12-21-2007, 08:47 PM
AJ's maybe the hardest-working Spurs player of all time, and he improved his numbers every year until he started getting really old.

johngateswhiteley
12-21-2007, 09:01 PM
SpursReport needs you!

spursreport.com banned me some time ago...and if you knew the circumstances you would have been shocked.

Budkin
12-21-2007, 10:02 PM
What happened to you JT?

rob5
12-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Guess what Avery Haters. Nobody gives a fuck what u think. They're gonna retire his jersey anyway so shut the fuck up already. Its not like u go to the games anyway u cheap bastard TV Spurs fans.

dbreiden83080
12-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I think the better question is "Why did AJ ever get any love"?? He was a mediocre PG at best even in his prime. Parker takes more shit and he is 10 times the player now that AJ ever was.

itzsoweezee
12-21-2007, 11:18 PM
one of my favorite spurs ever. anyone who hates AJ isn't a spurs fan, or probably became a fan after the second championship and jumped on the bandwagon.

debo
12-21-2007, 11:28 PM

i think its safe to say we would of one that series without AJ's shot.

BonnerDynasty
12-21-2007, 11:37 PM
one of my favorite spurs ever. anyone who hates AJ isn't a spurs fan, or probably became a fan after the second championship and jumped on the bandwagon.

It's going to be awesome watching our little A.J. knock us out of the playoffs this year.

:ihit

dbreiden83080
12-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Spurs actually really stunk up the joint in the 99 finals. I did not remember just how BAD they played until i got the boxed set DVD's and re-watched the 99 finals. Knicks were so depleted and while it was only 5 games, every one of them was down to the wire basically. Sean Elliot was awful, AJ was mediocre for the most part, the bench play was not very good. Really it was just D-Rob and mostly Timmy carrying them across that finish line. The 05 or 07 Spurs would have mopped the floor with the Knicks in 99.

Dave McNulla
12-21-2007, 11:58 PM
mouse, i don't hate AJ. he's taken on a little too much mav-attitude to be as likable as he used to be, but he's always a part of the first spurs championship team.

whottt
12-22-2007, 12:22 AM
I hate AJ because people act like hitting a jump shot with a minute left to go against an 8 seed and being up 3-1 in the series...is clutch.

That wasn't a clutch shot...that was an inevitability. Someone was going to hit that shot...it just so happened to be AJ.

Get over yourselves...

dbreiden83080
12-22-2007, 12:29 AM
I hate AJ because people act like hitting a jump shot with a minute left to go against an 8 seed and being up 3-1 in the series...is clutch.

That wasn't a clutch shot...that was an inevitability. Someone was going to hit that shot...it just so happened to be AJ.

Get over yourselves...

The real reason that series was even close if you re-watch it is because Elliot was GOD AWFUL the whole series. If he had played like he could, with Duncan dominant in every game and D-Rob playing like he did, they would have blown the Knicks out every game and that shot by AJ never would have been required in game 5.

sontinospurs
12-22-2007, 01:32 AM
I as a life long spurs fan for 30 years, am sick of the AJ hate on this board. I can understand the betrayal of him becoming the Mavs coach, but as a fan, I will always respect AJ for what he did for us. He was definitely one of my favorite Spurs during his time here, and can understand why the organization is doing this....

sontinospurs
12-22-2007, 01:34 AM

Get over yourselves...

C'mon admit it, you hate AJ b/c he coaches the Mavs. You're just foolin' yourselves..

m33p0
12-22-2007, 02:57 AM
Wait till we whip some Spurs ass again in May.

not if the Warriors get Mavs first :p:

timvp
12-22-2007, 03:12 AM
why all the AJ hate?

I'd say 95% of AJ haters fall into one of three categories:

-Hate AJ the Mav. These fans would be all for retiring AJ's number if he retired and took over for Stan Kelly or the Coyote or something similar. But because he went to what is now the arch rival, he is hated. I can understand this reason somewhat because I dislike AJ the Mav coach and I especially dislike him when he goes against the Spurs.

-Weren't Spurs fans during the AJ days. These fans look at the numbers and see how AJ barely did anything stat wise and wonder WTF the Spurs are thinking. Again, a pretty valid response. But most Spurs fans at the time realized AJ was the heart and soul of the '99 team and helped institute the Spurs Basketball culture of substance over style.

-Don't understand how the bar is set. If you retire Johnny freakin' Moore for getting good assist numbers while losing games, you retire Avery Johnson for getting good assist numbers while winning a championship.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-22-2007, 03:36 AM
we were up 3-1!!!!!!!!!!!......................to the knicks for crying out loud.

ATX Spur
12-22-2007, 03:38 AM

-Hate AJ the Mav. These fans would be all for retiring AJ's number if he retired and took over for Stan Kelly or the Coyote or something similar. But because he went to what is now the arch rival, he is hated. I can understand this reason somewhat because I dislike AJ the Mav coach and I especially dislike him when he goes against the Spurs.

-Weren't Spurs fans during the AJ days. These fans look at the numbers and see how AJ barely did anything stat wise and wonder WTF the Spurs are thinking. Again, a pretty valid response. But most Spurs fans at the time realized AJ was the heart and soul of the '99 team and helped institute the Spurs Basketball culture of substance over style.

-Don't understand how the bar is set. If you retire Johnny freakin' Moore for getting good assist numbers while losing games, you retire Avery Johnson for getting good assist numbers while winning a championship.

Do the other 5% fit in the category that doesn't agree with how the bar is set? I understand how low it must be to retire Moore's jersey. But does that mean that we should continue to keep the bar low?

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2007, 06:38 AM
AJ deserves it

And I think the Spurs should have done it 2 or 3 years ago

Obstructed_View
12-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Do the other 5% fit in the category that doesn't agree with how the bar is set? I understand how low it must be to retire Moore's jersey. But does that mean that we should continue to keep the bar low?
:lol Understanding that the bar is way too low apparently means that you have to agree with it.

Soul_Patch
12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Ive been a fan of the spurs since before AJ, and i personally never even really liked him to begin with.

I dont hate him, but then again, he really isnt anything to write home about.

whottt
12-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Ba. Those that were Spurs fans during and before the AJ days...before we won a championship...and realize that our culture got buttfucked by the Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets with regularity in the playoffs with AJ leading the show.....or without AJ leading the show. And that he was not a catalyst of any sort for that 99 title, and that credit rigthfully belongs to other players. Most specifically...one Mario Elie.

I want to see what AJ's speech is tonight...

IF he's all about himself and tries to ride the bogus media hype that he suddenly was the guy that showed the Spurs how to win titles...he's going to remain lame.

If he says...I want to thank David Robinson and Gregg Poppovich for the help they gave me in my career(and yes I know Drob and Pop will deflect that)...Nice job AJ.

And if he doesn't just completely lavish praise upon Mario Elie for what he did for that 99 team...I will know exactly what kind of person AJ is....

Mario is his friend...Mario is the guy who did what AJ could never do...make this team mean(and knock down a fucking J that mattered)

It'll be interesting to see which AJ shows up...

Let em make his own number AJ?

Or the guy you actually did pull for because he got cut so often and had to work so hard to get to the NBA.

The guy who actually lead the Spurs to the 99 title and forever changed the course of this franchise...will never have his jersey retired....that's Mario Elie, and every guy on the 99 teams knows it, but he wasn't the guy that media latched on too. He was just a journeyman that showed up...mean(and with a J). I want to see if AJ takes Mario up there with him to the rafters....because if it was not for Mario Elie...AJ would definitely not be getting his jersey retired.

True Spurfan knows Mario Elie was the guy who changed things...

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I will never tire of timvp vs. whottt, but everybody's entitled to their opinion.

Even if the Spurs never considered retiring #6, I'd still love Avery to this day (Mavs coach or not).

AJ does what he thinks will help his team win and I don't fault him for one second. They don't keep guys around because you're nice... they keep you around because you win.

nfg3
12-22-2007, 03:43 PM

I don't hate AJ. I'm a life long Spurs fan (fan of the transplanted Dallas team and onward) and will always like him for his effort and grit shown while he was a Spur. After saying all that I really don't think that be belongs in the rafters with the others. His numbers really don't merit that but I guess my bar is set at a different level, too.

Moore's numbers speak to me just like AJ's. He shouldn't be there, either. Was this mostly a sentimental gesture on the Spurs part after 00 was forced to retire b/c of Desert Fever? I dunno but I believe that you should get there due to merit and not neccessarily because your stats were equivalent to someone else's who is already there. Kinda of like legalizing pot just because alcohol and tobacco are. But I will grant that AJ did bring those neccessary intangibles to the game - heart and grit - needed to win a championship. So I don't neccessarily believe he belongs there I won't lose any sleep over it either. This is a decision by the FO based on their criteria and it really wont effect our on court chances to repeat.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Did you forget who made the wining basket to put a ring on the San Antonio Spurs fingers after 25 years?

why all the AJ hate?

So, should we retire Jaren Jackson's too? He hit a few big shots against the Fakers one year...

ploto
12-22-2007, 05:07 PM
The guy who actually lead the Spurs to the 99 title and forever changed the course of this franchise...will never have his jersey retired....that's Mario Elie, and every guy on the 99 teams knows it, but he wasn't the guy that media latched on too. He was just a journeyman that showed up...mean(and with a J). I want to see if AJ takes Mario up there with him to the rafters....because if it was not for Mario Elie...AJ would definitely not be getting his jersey retired.

True Spurfan knows Mario Elie was the guy who changed things...
I am sure you know that AJ hired Mario this summer to work for the Mavs well aware of the role he played for the Spurs. Funny thing about Mario-- fans first hated him for calling out David.

Everyone knew that one day the Spurs would retire AJ's number. Teams do this not only for on the court accomplishments, but off as well.

LJ, I think that some fans do not like AJ because they believe that Tim did not like him and wanted him gone.

Ignignokt
12-22-2007, 05:33 PM
AJless once he wins the mavs a title will probably care less about his jersey retirement.

I'm glad we have parker.

ducks
12-22-2007, 06:11 PM

why all the AJ hate?

did you forget one shot does not change all the other games and behavior
why do you care you say you are not a spur fan
two face

sa_kid20
12-22-2007, 06:18 PM

Then hate the people man. It's not AJ's fault what people say about him weither it's good or bad.

BronxCowboy
12-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I actually liked AJ the Spur, and have no problem with his number being retired, as I'm sure Parker's, Ginobili's, and Bowen's eventually will be. On the other hand, AJ the Mav's coach makes me sick.

Man of Steel
12-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Spurs fans who hate AJ for being a Mav coach are as small-minded as Mav fans who boo Michael Finley for joining SA.

Congrats AJ.

SPURS vs NBA media
12-22-2007, 08:09 PM
I can't stand AJ because back in WCF 2006 after the spurs beat the mavs in game 1 AJ started crying about some of the bad calls that went against the mavs. all he did was WHINE like a little baby about the officials.

we never heard POP whine after game 7 in WCF we all know Duncan and Manu got wacked at the end of the game and no call

Obstructed_View
12-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Spurs fans who hate AJ for being a Mav coach are as small-minded as Mav fans who boo Michael Finley for joining SA.

Congrats AJ.
"Bear hug defense" was all I needed to hear to decide that he was no longer a Spur. Sentimentality clouded my brain prior to that, but let me know that AJ was faithfully towing the company line of complain about the refs if you can't win straight up.

Mavs08
12-23-2007, 08:44 AM
"Bear hug defense" was all I needed to hear to decide that he was no longer a Spur.

So prior to that comment AJ was a Spur in your mind? This topic is not about rather AJ is still a Spur. This topic is about how people who claim to be "Spur Fans" can turn on any player at a drop of a hat!

It must be comforting for the Spur players reading this topic to know all of you here at ST will turn on them also.

So let me get this straight you guys love Tim Duncan Manu and Parker as long as they wear silver and black but if they get traded they become pieces of shit? You people have allot to learn about being a true sports fan and you may want to Google the word loyalty some day.

mouse
12-23-2007, 08:58 AM
mouse, i don't hate AJ. he's taken on a little too much mav-attitude to be as likable as he used to be, but he's always a part of the first spurs championship team.

You make a great point but what about Finley? and Horry? I don't see laker fans and Mav fans protesting any jersey retirements or condemning them to hell for playing on another team.

It's only the myopic wannabe NBA fans in this nacho eating town.

The sad part is the Spur fans forget all about Karma. And what will happen when one day AJ ends up as a Spurs head coach!

Doc Jerome
12-23-2007, 09:41 AM
:fro All manner of miscreant behavior and revisionist reasoning can't erase AJ's accomplishments; both, as an NBA player and as a player with the Spurs organization. It's interesting that he was so beloved not only for his play in San Antonio, but for his community involvement as well. All that service, and a simple gesture of thanks to the guy that solidified your PG position and gave your team some much needed heart can't get the approval of the fans/city he helped give a legacy to.

That's COLD. U thought U had class, . . . guess U all were wrong. I still root for the Spurs, just not the fans or the city. I can without a doubt, say that San Antonio SUCKS.

Good luck to the Spurs, and to AJ in the playoffs. F*$K the fans. :fro

TampaDude
12-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Did you forget who made the winning basket to put a ring on the San Antonio Spurs fingers after 25 years?

why all the AJ hate?

WERD! This Spurs fan has got nothing but love for AJ! :toast

Stacie
12-23-2007, 11:08 AM
And your from Tampa what does that say about San Antonio?

Dave McNulla
12-23-2007, 11:42 AM
You make a great point but what about Finley? and Horry? I don't see laker fans and Mav fans protesting any jersey retirements or condemning them to hell for playing on another team.

It's only the myopic wannabe NBA fans in this nacho eating town.

The sad part is the Spur fans forget all about Karma. And what will happen when one day AJ ends up as a Spurs head coach!i see plenty of hate from mav fan for finley. but it isn't all of them and hate for aj isn't universal either. each person must speak for themselves.

Hermey
12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Dave McNulla I thought you was a Maverick fan from Mavtalk?

Either way I agree with this vato!

mouse
12-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Maybe hate is to strong of a word, maybe upset with him is more appropriate?

I am a Randy Moss fan no matter what team he is on. How can you say you love AJ in 1999* and then curse his name now? Do you only love someone from your family if they only live in San Antonio or root for th Spurs?

what happened to unconditional love? I wonder how many of you really love Tim Duncan or Manu. It's a scary thought for them I am sure.

who knew ST had so many cold blooded asshats!

may Santa forgive you this Christmas I know I wont............

Harry Callahan
12-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Avery was a steady player - not a spectacular player when he ran the show at PG in the late 1990s into 2001. I understand the # retirement thing. Jeez, the Mavies retired Brad Davis' number????? Avery is a worthy person because of his grit and determination as a player - he had leadership skills in his blood. He recruited Mario Ellie (do not underestimate that) to the Spurs in 1998 as they were friends.

I saw the game 5 against the Knicks and a prior poster was correct about Sean Elliott, he was not good in that series. Let's not forget one little thing about his performance - his kidneys were in the process or shutting down! He had a transplant within three or four months of the 1998-99 Championship season ending. Give him a little slack there.

Those Spurs teams (pre TP and MG) were deliberate, plodding teams that you could actually say played a boring style. Unfortunately, that label has stuck even if it isn't really deserved anymore.

I do not like the fact that AJ is working for the leftist Assclown Cuban. It wouldn't surpise me if AJ's second head coaching job will be in SA. By that time in four or five years, Cuban would have already fired him for not winning a bunch of L O'Brien trophies with that soft roster.