PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: NBA: Spurs' Parker expects to play vs. Clippers

some_user86
12-22-2007, 01:42 AM
NBA: Spurs' Parker expects to play vs. Clippers

Web Posted: 12/22/2007 12:03 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Even with eight days off, the inflammation in Tony Parker's sprained left ankle hasn't completely subsided.
"It comes, it goes, it comes, it goes," the Spurs point guard said.

Even so, Parker expects to be back in the lineup tonight against the Los Angeles Clippers.

On Friday, Parker tested the injured ankle — which has kept him out of the past four games — by participating in his first full practice since going on the injured list Dec. 13.

Afterward, Parker pronounced himself healthy enough to play.

"(The injury) can come back," said Parker, the Spurs' leading scorer at 20.1 points per game. "You have no control over it. I'm just going to play and see what happens."

Parker's head coach, however, isn't quite ready to sign off on the point guard's return just yet. Gregg Popovich says Parker's availability against the Clippers will be a game-day decision.

"He was just fine (Friday)," Popovich said. "We'll see how he feels in the morning."

One sign the Spurs are leaning toward playing Parker: They shipped rookie Darius Washington back to the NBA Development League's Austin Toros on Friday.

If Parker does play, Popovich says he will immediately reclaim his spot in the starting lineup.

The Spurs could certainly use him.

With Parker out, the Spurs have gone 1-3, most recently dropping an 88-85 decision in Memphis on Wednesday.

"It was hard," Parker said of his time on the bench. "You felt like you wanted to be out there. You feel like you can help the team."

Master of ceremonies: Officially, tonight has been dubbed "Avery Johnson Jersey Retirement Night Presented by Brown Chevrolet" at the AT&T Center.

Popovich, of course, has no use for such a high-minded title.

"As far as I'm concerned," Popovich said, "it's a roast."

Johnson will be honored in a ceremony following tonight's game, with presenters including former teammates David Robinson and Sean Elliott, team owner Peter Holt — and Popovich, Johnson's former coach.

Popovich says he's still polishing his speech for the event.

"I'm just going to say whatever (Johnson) tells me to say," Popovich said. "Knowing Avery, he will probably send me a script about how great he was."

Austin bound: Like the Spurs, the Austin Toros are poised to get their leading scorer back.

Washington was averaging 28.2 points per game — tops in the NBDL — when he was recalled to San Antonio on Dec. 13 to help provide point guard depth with Parker out.

Washington opened the season with the Spurs before being assigned to Austin on Nov. 29. He played in three games during his latest NBA call-up.

"They want me to go down there and improve my game," Washington said. "They see something they want me to work on. I see that as a plus."

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122207.01D.bkn_Spurs_notebook.en.279afe5.html