PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks notebook: He's Spur of the moment

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2007, 07:34 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/122207dnspomavsbriefs.2b9df0f.html

Dallas Mavericks notebook: He's Spur of the moment

Mavs' rival will raise Johnson's No. 6 jersey to the rafters tonight

12:02 AM CST on Saturday, December 22, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Every time Avery Johnson visits Madison Square Garden, he practices a little ritual.

"I go over to that spot in the corner and just remember that moment," he said. "I'll never forget that spot."

That spot was the place near the baseline where the 5-11 San Antonio point guard sank an 18-foot jumper that clinched the Spurs' first NBA championship in 1999.

Tonight, San Antonio will honor the General who delivered that shot. Johnson's No. 6 jersey will be hoisted to the rafters in a ceremony after the Spurs play the Los Angeles Clippers.

"It's going to be different going there as a former Spur that they are acknowledging for his work on and off the court," Johnson said. "It'll be good to go there and be able to relax, because normally when I'm in that building, I can't relax."

A few of Johnson's assistant coaches will be there with him. His players will be there in spirit.

Johnson played for a handful of teams through his career, but he will be best remembered as a Spur.

"Oh yeah, that's where I really made my mark," Johnson said. "The other teams were really just pit stops."

But that doesn't mean Johnson ever expected to be hanging from the rafters alongside David Robinson, James Silas, Sean Elliott, George Gervin and Johnny Moore. Remember, he was cut on Christmas Eve, one of two times he was jettisoned by the franchise.

"I don't think when I got cut from the Spurs the second time that I was thinking that, 'Hey, my jersey's going to be retired here someday,' " he said. "I'm just thinking, 'How am I going to be able to take care of my family?' I wasn't thinking about jersey retirements."

Johnson firmly believes his relationship with the San Antonio community is every bit as important as anything he did on the court. He and his wife, Cassandra, spearheaded the fundraising effort that built the Antioch Community Center that is a pillar in the east-side neighborhood that is barely a mile away from the AT&T Center where Johnson's jersey will be raised.

It's a building he never played in. But all the fans who saw Johnson at HemisFair Arena and the Alamodome will never forget him.

Nor, will they forget the shot.

Mavericks assistant coach Mario Elie was Johnson's teammate in '99.

"When I think back to that shot he made in New York, all I can see is us in the shower pouring champagne on each other," said Elie, who will be at the ceremony. "Those are the things you treasure."

■ AAC rafters will wait: Mark Cuban said he has not discounted expanding the retired-number list of Mavericks, which includes only Brad Davis and Rolando Blackman.

But adding to that twosome is not on the front burner.

"I just think it has a lot to do with being on winning teams, and we didn't have a whole lot of those before," he said. "There's a couple guys you have to consider – Derek Harper, obviously, and Mark Aguirre.

"And I haven't decided how I want to do it. Do you want to retire jerseys? Do you want to do a ring of honor?"

SenorSpur
12-22-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm still not one who firmly believes Avery deserves this honor, but what the hell!

As a side not, I'm as big of a Mavs hater as anyone here. Though I will say this:

The Mavs should be ashamed of themselves for not having already honored the contributions of both Mark Aguirre and Derek Harper by retiring their jerseys. It makes no sense for Brad Davis to have been the first Mavs player to have his jersey retired.

Davis may have been THE fan favorite, but Aguirre WAS their franchise player back in the 80's. Also Aguirre is or was the franchise's all-time leading scorer, perennial all-star, and all-time best player until Dirk arrived. Harper is only the club's all-time best defender and all-time leader in assists.

It's a travesty and Cuban is even more of an ass for not having righted that situation.

ArgSpursFan.
12-22-2007, 08:57 AM
AJ was a spur player and won and NBA championship in SA.
You people should separate the player who AJ was and did it with the Silver and Back,with the coach Who needs to work and make a career.
Actually I can see AJ coaching the Spurs when Pop retires,and finally winning a couple of rings as a coach.
All my respect for AJ,and the #6 jersey that Manu couldn't wear in SA will be retired right.

exstatic
12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
^^^Pop will retire when Tim does, and if you hire AJ, you can kiss Parker's ass goodbye as well. AJ has done little but disparage his game since he took over the PG reins in SA. Tony finally got Pop off his back, and I can't see him wanting AJ to hop on, and believe me, he would.

Uck FayJay. I'd much rather see PJ come back and take the reins when Pop retires.

gospursgojas
12-22-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't even know for sure if the Spurs should retire his jersey.

But I know for sure that they shouldn't do it while he is the Mavs HC

Fuck this idea

ArgSpursFan.
12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Pop will retire when Tim does, and if you hire AJ, you can kiss Parker's ass goodbye as well. AJ has done little but disparage his game since he took over the PG reins in SA. Tony finally got Pop off his back, and I can't see him wanting AJ to hop on, and believe me, he would.

Uck FayJay. I'd much rather see PJ come back and take the reins when Pop retires.

^^I believe that People in general grow and learn from their mistakes,and AJ learned from his.
That's why He wanted to be a head coach and try diferent things and make his own mistakes and learn from them.
After all He did a good job on Harris at the PG in Dallas,and the factor I think was AJ's experience as a head coach after a couple of seasons in the possition.
BTW,PJ could be a great replacement for Pop as well.

exstatic
12-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Harris has been yanked in and out of Dallas' lineup. He only seems to play well against us, and sucks most of the rest of the time. I'm not that sold on AJ as a coach, either. I think Cuban may have fired him already if Dallas doesn't squeek by us in 2006. He presided over two of the largest playoff choke jobs of the last 25 years the last two seasons.

urunobili
12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Harris has been yanked in and out of Dallas' lineup. He only seems to play well against us, and sucks most of the rest of the time. I'm not that sold on AJ as a coach, either. I think Cuban may have fired him already if Dallas doesn't squeek by us in 2006. He presided over two of the largest playoff choke jobs of the last 25 years the last two seasons.
sorry mate but that wasn't AJ's fault... look at thugs they have as players? only Dirk n' Bass have some class on that roster

exstatic
12-22-2007, 12:19 PM
sorry mate but that wasn't AJ's fault... look at thugs they have as players? only Dirk n' Bass have some class on that roster
So, he gets credit for 67 wins, but a pass for two collapses? I ain't buyin' that one at ALL.

ducks
12-22-2007, 12:20 PM
aj does not like dirk
dirk or aj will be gone after another collapse

50 cent
12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I am totally against this jersey retirement, but what the fuck can you do?

Mark in Austin
12-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Ellie's going to be there? Funny if he gets a bigger ovation than AJ...

StylisticS
12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
aj does not like dirk
dirk or aj will be gone after another collapse

Is there something I missed? You know they dislike each other how?

And1Mak
12-22-2007, 02:05 PM
lol. the spurs bow down to avery.
ALL HAIL THE GUMBO.

ducks
12-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Is there something I missed? You know they dislike each other how?
aj told the press tony was doing a man's job when he started at point guard
aj did not think he would be able to fill his shoes
aj is full of shit

ShoogarBear
12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm still not one who firmly believes Avery deserves this honor, but what the hell!

As a side not, I'm as big of a Mavs hater as anyone here. Though I will say this:

The Mavs should be ashamed of themselves for not having already honored the contributions of both Mark Aguirre and Derek Harper by retiring their jerseys. It makes no sense for Brad Davis to have been the first Mavs player to have his jersey retired.

Davis may have been THE fan favorite, but Aguirre WAS their franchise player back in the 80's. Also Aguirre is or was the franchise's all-time leading scorer, perennial all-star, and all-time best player until Dirk arrived. Harper is only the club's all-time best defender and all-time leader in assists.

It's a travesty and Cuban is even more of an ass for not having righted that situation.Aguirre, I can take or leave. Great player but giant headcase. Still, it's hard to argue why his number isn't up there.

But it is a travesty that Derek Harper's number is not retired by the Mavs.