PDA

View Full Version : Manu's injury

timvp
12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know if they have updated you all on TV - but it's sprained left index finger.

--Kori

~Sweetmelody~
12-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't know if they have updated you all on TV - but it's sprained left index finger.

--Kori

No, not yet. Thanks Kori. :(

duncan228
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks Kori.

timvp
12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
He won't return in this game, but at least it isn't broken.

beck253
12-22-2007, 09:28 PM
No Manu again tonight, right?

Thanks.

ducks
12-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I. Udoka is playing well tonight

spurs big three have been hurt so hopefully in playoffs they will be healthy

urunobili
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
guys is this the same finger that was bothering him?

Bruno
12-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Lebron missed two weeks with a sprained finger. We will see how much time Manu will miss.
In the best case (Manu back for the next game), He will have had some rest and shouldn't be tired anymore. Spurs next game is in 4 days and Manu would have only played 2 min in one week (between December 19th and December 26th).

porscha
12-22-2007, 09:52 PM
manu manu take care :depressed :depressed :depressed

TMTTRIO
12-22-2007, 09:54 PM
yeah I'm curious how bad the sprain is? The Spurs now have 4 days for him to rest until the next game on Wednesday. I also wonder if it's the same finger that he injured earlier and has been struggling with.

Bruno
12-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I also wonder if it's the same finger that he injured earlier and has been struggling with.

It's the same finger.

porscha
12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
pop should rest manu tonight at begining, don't know why he is still let him play tonight :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun

urunobili
12-22-2007, 10:13 PM
pop should rest manu tonight at begining, don't know why he is still let him play tonight :madrun :madrun :madrun :madrun
i was actually thinking the same thing... i thought he'd rest him... but oh well... now the three of our big three have gone through different injuries and have rest... we shall c the outcome of all this

loveforthegame
12-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Obviously we'll miss Manu but I feel better about him sitting some games now that Finley and Barry are playing well at the same time. Udoka also having a nice showing tonight.

ducks
12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
manu needs to sit because he is tired
it is a blessing in disguise

ducks
12-22-2007, 10:28 PM
it could be broken

porscha
12-22-2007, 10:29 PM
now those fingers got worse.. :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit pop

duncan228
12-22-2007, 11:02 PM
it could be broken

amy020
12-23-2007, 12:03 AM

--Kori
I just want to say:"MANU,take care.You are so tired for the last few games.And what make it worse is that you hurt again. So take more rest .You are really important for all of us. Hope the injury is not that serious.GOOD LUCK. :depressed

greens
12-23-2007, 12:16 AM

Any news on if he'll miss any games?

I hope Manu gets better soon.

TMTTRIO
12-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Don Newman on the radio said the X-ray was negative so it was sprained finger that was reaggrivated with those stretched ligaments. They said with an in injury like that they really didn't know whether to play him or not with those stretched ligaments and that everytime he keeps getting bumped it just keeps making it worse.

T Park
12-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Sit him for a couple weeks.

You can live without Manu more than Parker or DUncan as evidenced tonight.

porscha
12-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Don Newman on the radio said the X-ray was negative so it was sprained finger that was reaggrivated with those stretched ligaments. They said with an in injury like that they really didn't know whether to play him or not with those stretched ligaments and that everytime he keeps getting bumped it just keeps making it worse.

now pop have to rests him and stop playing him like a slave

I'm so depressing now... :depressed :depressed :depressed

porscha
12-23-2007, 12:28 AM

evidenced ?? vs LA. clippers!!

greens
12-23-2007, 12:50 AM

How quickly people forget the two back to back 37pt games from Manu vs. DALLAS and UTAH, while Manu was already playing with a sprained finger(which now obviously got worse), without Duncan...and with Tony struggling(due to his own ankles injury)...

A game against Clippers(whose most players were injured...) doesn't mean too much in my opinion. If I were to compare importance, it would be against teams like Dallas...

I think all Big Three are important...(Big Four actually, cuz I consider Bruce right there too).

I just hope Manu gets better...

T Park
12-23-2007, 12:53 AM
I didn't say he was worthless.

evidenced ?? vs LA. clippers!!

To a point yes.

Ime Udoka, Michael Finley stepped up and did fine.

I didn't say the guy was worthless, just that hes the easiest of the big three to replace.

porscha
12-23-2007, 12:56 AM
How quickly people forget the two back to back 37pt games from Manu vs. DALLAS and UTAH, while Manu was already playing with a sprained finger(which now obviously got worse), without Duncan...and with Tony struggling(due to his own ankles injury)...

A game against Clippers(whose most players were injured...) doesn't mean too much in my opinion. If I were to compare importance, it would be against teams like Dallas...

I think all Big Three are important...(Big Four actually, cuz I consider Bruce right there too).

:tu :tu

greens
12-23-2007, 01:05 AM
I didn't say the guy was worthless, just that hes the easiest of the big three to replace.

You do realize that Manu was the points leader on the Spurs thus far in this season, before having a few bad games recently (due to injury)? With limited minutes, high efficiency, not to mention numerous articles talking about how he's a possible All Star candidate...Manu has been amazing...

Why all the negativity?

T Park
12-23-2007, 01:09 AM
My god people its not negativity.

Its just pointing out afact.

If you are to lose one of the big three.

The people prepared to step into their place.

Wich is the best candidate.

Parker?
Duncan?
Ginobili?

Parker replaced by Vaughn
Duncan by Bonner
Ginobili by Finley, Barry, Udoka.

God don't get all hurt guys, its just pointing out a truth.

Im not saying Ginobili sucks or anything so step back from the GD ledge.

m33p0
12-23-2007, 01:22 AM

Parker?
Duncan?
Ginobili?

Duncan by Bonner

Well, you should have been careful in your statement knowing the different warring factions here in spursdom. i get your point. pop should have sat manu from the moment parker returned to lineup to rest that left index finger. now it got injured again. pff. luckily, the rest of the spurs' schedule in december is relatively light and will continue to be so until jan 3 when they play the nuggets.

gamuza
12-23-2007, 01:26 AM
:rolleyes Tiny Parker played like crap. His big friend TD stepped up unlike the past games :wakeup

Fact is: TD likes to play with Eva's toy and hates Ginobili...

porscha
12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't think that manu is the easiest of the big three to replace, there was just so many times when we have all the big three there but it was manu that single handed bring back the games and won in every which manu's way.

of course Finley, Barry, Udoka can scores time to time but can't looked at manu by just the numbers.

greens
12-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Here is the newest quote from Pop about Manu's injury:

"His hand's been bothering him for a long time," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "The X-rays are all negative, but the ligaments are in bad shape. It's like a sprained thumb, sort of. You keep hitting it and hitting it and it never gets healed. ... He's back to square one."

source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=At0Ze7Si1GkC_X.VUneU61OM0bYF?gid=200712 2224&prov=ap

It sounds pretty bad...I have no idea if that will mean he'll miss games...Knowing how Pop doesn't like to take chances, he'll probably miss at least a game or two...

And I was just really excited to get the Big Three back on court at the same time...The team is just not the same when one of them is not playing...

porscha
12-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Here is the newest quote from Pop about Manu's injury:

"His hand's been bothering him for a long time," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "The X-rays are all negative, but the ligaments are in bad shape. It's like a sprained thumb, sort of. You keep hitting it and hitting it and it never gets healed. ... He's back to square one."

source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=At0Ze7Si1GkC_X.VUneU61OM0bYF?gid=200712 2224&prov=ap

It sounds pretty bad...I have no idea if that will mean he'll miss games...Knowing how Pop doesn't like to take chances, he'll probably miss at least a game or two...

And I was just really excited to get the Big Three back on court at the same time...The team is just not the same when one of them is not playing...
really mad of pop :ihit :ihit :ihit
hope manu NOW can takes a good rest and come back soon

greens
12-23-2007, 01:45 AM
I don't think that manu is the easiest of the big three to replace, there was just so many times when we have all the big three there but it was manu that single handed bring back the games and won in every which manu's way.

of course Finley, Barry, Udoka can scores time to time but can't looked at manu by just the numbers.

I agree. What Manu does on court can't be completely measured...he has all the intangibles...:clap

porscha
12-23-2007, 02:28 AM
If I remember it right; pop kept saying manu was fine after he got injured his fingers and still saying manu is fine even when manu had suffered last few games..is it careless or ignorance :ihit :ihit

BigBigSpur
12-23-2007, 02:29 AM

Va-t'en,vous!

Kori Ellis
12-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Fact is: TD likes to play with Eva's toy and hates Ginobili...
:lol

roycrikside
12-23-2007, 05:39 AM

Parker?
Duncan?
Ginobili?

Duncan by Bonner

Actually, until this year, Parker had been the easiest to replace, historically. The Spurs have won practically every game he's been out injured until this season. Duncan also being out and/or Manu's hand injury didn't help the cause any, for sure.

While I obviously want the Spurs to win every game they play, I agree with the majority of the other posters that you shouldn't assume that just because they won today that the team won't miss Ginobili noticeably. The Clippers at home with their whole club injured is hardly a challenging opponent. I'm surprised the game was as close as it was, even with Manu not playing. If they play and beat Toronto next week without him, that would give more credence to your theory.

timvp
12-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Actually, until this year, Parker had been the easiest to replace, historically. Actually, you should have researched.

Historically without Tim Duncan: 24-24

Historically without Tony Parker: 13-12

Historically without Manu Ginobili: 34-18

And no it's not because Parker > Ginobili. It's because Ginobili's backups have historically been much better than Parker's backups. Plus, in general, point guards are harder to replace than shooting guards. That's true on basically every team unless the shooting guard is their franchise player.

Bruno
12-23-2007, 06:06 AM

source:

It sounds like Manu will be out until his finger is healthy. I had no idea how long it will take, maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

Spurs had a light schedule for now and if Manu is out 2 weeks, he will be back for the first 2008 game against Denver on January 3rd. He will miss only 3 home games against Chicago, Toronto and Memphis.
If Manu needs more than 2 weeks, it will be more problematic for Spurs record. I any case the priority is to be healthy for the playoffs even if the price is not having HCA and having stronger playoffs opponents.

polandprzem
12-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Pop should give them rest in January instead of December.

fire Pop

SAGambler
12-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Did u ever get a small cut on the end of a finger? It's kind of the same thing. Everytime you turn around, u hit it on something, and it starts bleeding again.

I hope we don't see Manu back on the court until 2008. I actually thought Pop might sit him down last night, especially with the Clippers being so decimated.

It's his shooting hand, and it is also affecting his passing. That's why he has been missing so many shots, and having so many turnovers.

Give him a couple of weeks to rehab the thing before we bring him back. It's not like we have a terrible schedule coming up.

ducks
12-23-2007, 11:11 AM

yep

ducks
12-23-2007, 11:13 AM

ever since then manu had shot about 31%
his hand was bothering him
SIT HIM

nfg3
12-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Time to sit Manu and rest his finger/hand. But I wouldn't be so hard on Pop. I'm willing to bet that Manu had something to do with it, too. I rarely hear of an athlete who is hurt telling the staff that he's needs to sit and can't play, unless of course it's that obvious. Most likely he told them he was OK and able to play. Manu is such a competitor that I bet you he argued for playing and not sitting. Pop will probably sit him thru December and evaluate Manu come January IMO. That seems to be his pattern when faced with injuries to his players.

Anyway maybe this could get Ime more minutes. He had a very good game last night. I hope he has "turned a corner" and we can see more of this but not expecting that. The Spurs system takes a lot of time to understand and execute properly. New players have had brief periods of good play followed by poor ones. And as tmvp pointed out it is easier to replace a SG rather than a PG or TD(franchise player).

No matter what is happening to the Spurs I try to remember and never lose sight of the fact that this is a marathon and being healthy come March/April is more important than a few wins early on.

Medvedenko
12-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Lebron James (10 games missed for a finger injury) forum.....

E20
12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
:lol Ginobili has been playing for a long time with that sprained left finger. All the way from the Portland game in which TD was injured. It is no suprise to see that finger much worse than it orginally was.

temujin
12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I'ts one week if they want to badly rush.

Two weeks on the safe side.

greens
12-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Time to sit Manu and rest his finger/hand. But I wouldn't be so hard on Pop. I'm willing to bet that Manu had something to do with it, too. I rarely hear of an athlete who is hurt telling the staff that he's needs to sit and can't play, unless of course it's that obvious. Most likely he told them he was OK and able to play. Manu is such a competitor that I bet you he argued for playing and not sitting. Pop will probably sit him thru December and evaluate Manu come January IMO. That seems to be his pattern when faced with injuries to his players.

Yup, it seems like Manu had insisted on playing right after the injury. I also think that's the competitor in him...he will play through pain basically...So I don't think Pop is much to blame. I do think he should have sat out on the Clipper game though...:

old article:

Popovich said he rarely relents on such decisions, but he did allow Manu Ginobili to play against Dallas and Utah despite a swollen left (shooting) hand.

“If a player hounds me, I tend to go his way,” Popovich said. “But I need to be hounded first. That really tells me that person is really ready to play and not happy with my decision to not have him play. Manu did that, with his hand.

source:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121207_SpursNotes.en.9220b0c.html

and another old article:

Manu Ginobili's availability was considered a game-time decision for the Spurs tonight against Dallas. That decision has come down.

Ginobili is in.

The Spurs' super sub had been nursing a sore left index finger that kept him out of Tuesday's practice, but he will play tonight. His team can certainly use him, with Tim Duncan already poised to sit with a sprained ankle.

"He was very adamant," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said of Ginobili. "When a player is that adamant, he's probably ready to go."

At least Ginobili is being smart with his injury. When he was using his Blackberry to send a text message from the locker room before the game, he let his right index finger do the talking.

source:
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2007/12/jeff_mcdonald_g_4.html

Spurs Dynasty 21
12-23-2007, 07:15 PM
the time off wil let him recharge his batteries

T Park
12-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the backup TIMVP :smokin

TMTTRIO
12-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Spurs: Injured finger to keep Ginobili benched for now

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122407.SpursHurting.en.261ea7c.html

Web Posted: 12/23/2007 09:51 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

This time pestering isn't going to get Manu Ginobili back on the court for the Spurs.

Ginobili, the 6-foot-6 shooting guard whose 19.2 points per game makes him the team's No. 2 scorer, likely will miss Wednesday's game against the Chicago Bulls after re-spraining ligaments in his left index finger in Saturday's victory over the Los Angeles Clippers at the AT&T Center.

Ginobili first sprained the ligaments when he tried to break his fall after a collision with Portland's James Jones on Dec. 2. Though his left (shooting) hand was still swollen and sore, Ginobili managed to talk coach Gregg Popovich into letting him play against the Dallas Mavericks three days later.

Thirty-seven points and an important victory later, Popovich was convinced he had made the right decision.

But the soreness lingered longer than expected, and now, after Ginobili badly banged the same finger in the first quarter of Saturday's game, Popovich will have to be convinced before he lets Ginobili return. In between the coach's lines after a light practice session on Sunday morning was the implication Ginobili may miss more than just Wednesday's game against Chicago.
"He's probably going to miss a little bit of time," Popovich said. "It's just a matter of how much.

"They X-rayed it and there is nothing new, but he's got a bad hand. The ligaments are quite sore, and whatever happens to the ligaments has happened without tearing."

Asked if he will be more resistant if Ginobili appeals to suit up when Popovich prefers that he sit, Popovich sidestepped a definitive answer.

"Manu is a tough one," he said. "He's such a competitor, he wants to play. I'm just going to wait about two days and see how his hand reacts to the treatment they are giving him. We'll wait and see."

Ginobili's injury was countered somewhat by the return of Tony Parker. The Spurs' point guard had missed three games with a sprained left ankle. He was a little rusty on Saturday, but with Ginobili almost certain to be inactive Wednesday night, Parker believes added aggression will be a requirement.

"I think I'll be a little more aggressive and try to do a little more stuff," said Parker, who attributed his 6-for-17 shooting Saturday to his 11-day injury hiatus. "I'm just going to keep playing my game."

Popovich said Ime Udoka's 17-point, nine-rebound effort while filling Ginobili's minutes Saturday merits giving him more playing time Wednesday. Most of that will come in the first three periods.

Come crunch time, Parker and forward Tim Duncan will take on more of the Spurs' offensive focus.

"The fourth quarters change for us to some degree," Popovich said. "That's why it's good to have Tony back. He can make some things happen for us. We're going to go to Timmy, Tony or Manu in the fourth quarter, usually. So it takes some options away.

"During the meat of the game, it's just a little bit of a different mix on the floor. People are getting a chance to see how Ime plays, and he's figured out how they play. So it's probably a good thing in the end, as far as Ime getting acclimated to his team."

Elson healthier: Backup center Francisco Elson, who has missed two games with a sprained left mid-foot, participated in all of Sunday's practice, and played a spirited game of two-on-two after practice with Udoka, Matt Bonner and Robert Horry. He moved well on the sore foot, and Popovich said he will be a game-time decision Wednesday.

"He's starting to feel stronger," Popovich said. "But I'm anxious to see how he feels (this) morning, because this is really the first time he's done any active work."

No Grinch: Popovich scheduled another practice for this morning, but nothing for Christmas Day.

roycrikside
12-24-2007, 04:33 AM
Actually, you should have researched.

Historically without Tim Duncan: 24-24

Historically without Tony Parker: 13-12

Historically without Manu Ginobili: 34-18

And no it's not because Parker > Ginobili. It's because Ginobili's backups have historically been much better than Parker's backups. Plus, in general, point guards are harder to replace than shooting guards. That's true on basically every team unless the shooting guard is their franchise player.

Those numbers don't tell the whole story. Check what the records are when one guy isn't playing but the other two are. I bet they're a lot closer to even. Also, don't start until 04'-05' because that's really when the team became the "big three."

timvp
12-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Those numbers don't tell the whole story. Check what the records are when one guy isn't playing but the other two are. I bet they're a lot closer to even. Also, don't start until 04'-05' because that's really when the team became the "big three." :wtf

So by saying "Actually, until this year, Parker had been the easiest to replace, historically. The Spurs have won practically every game he's been out injured until this season." you actually meant in the last couple seasons with multiple restrictions on what games count toward the total?

T Park
12-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Those numbers don't tell the whole story. Check what the records are when one guy isn't playing but the other two are. I bet they're a lot closer to even. Also, don't start until 04'-05' because that's really when the team became the "big three."

Man you want provisions and added on BS to think Im wrong?

:lol

Classic myopia.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Manu>Tony End of story.

gamuza
12-24-2007, 12:37 PM

:nerd Toy only played the first quarter, after that he sucked badly against Clippers. :lmao :lmao Yes it’s evident you envy Eva. I bet you’re a fat old single chick with a nice beard. :fight

Freeze
12-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Also, don't start until 04'-05' because that's really when the team became the "big three."

Do you mean that before 2004-2005 Tony was more important to the Spurs than he is now ???
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Anyway I'm sure Manu's finger will be healed soon, and we will all be proud to congratulate the fifth NBA champion banner (damn we will need one more to make it even with the retired jersey :drunk )

anakha
12-24-2007, 04:41 PM

:lol at the backpedaling

roycrikside
12-29-2007, 03:23 AM

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump.

I believe I called this loss last week. Like Ron Burgandy, Manu is "kind of a big deal."

greens
12-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump.

I believe I called this loss last week. Like Ron Burgandy, Manu is "kind of a big deal."

I didn't get to see the game, thankfully it seems...judging by reading about how horrible everyone played...And I heard that Pop got ejected...I did look up some stats for the game:

Toronto's bench outscored San Antonio's reserves, usually led by Ginobili, 41-15.

source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=Am6clGja_kecvrirnlwverqM0bYF?gid=200712 2824&prov=ap

In the first half, the Toronto bench had 20pts while the Spurs had 0pts...

I'd say the Spurs really missed Manu's points and spark especially.

TMTTRIO
12-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Not that we can't win without him but anyone know the timetable that Manu may be back. It looked like he still had that hand wrapped up pretty good last night.

greens
01-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Not that we can't win without him but anyone know the timetable that Manu may be back. It looked like he still had that hand wrapped up pretty good last night.

I would also like to know when Manu is going to play...I think perhaps in today's game vs the Knicks...But then again, Pop is very careful about injuries...

In the four games that Manu is out, the Spurs went 2-2...

I miss seeing the Big Three play together...Last time, they were all on the court at the same time was in November, I think...

porscha
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
kinda boring...........without manu :sleep

jamanuel
01-04-2008, 10:15 AM
kinda boring...........without manu :sleep

Yeah, I agree. I rather read then. :reading or :wakeup then :pctoss