PDA

View Full Version : Avery's Jersey Retirement Thread. Postgame Thoughts.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 10:55 PM
So watcha think?

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Great leader, not so great player. David made him who he was on the floor. And avery made D-rob do that.

Spurs Brazil
12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/history/avery_johnson_tribute.html

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
So in a way, avery deserves it indirectly

SenorSpur
12-22-2007, 11:04 PM
You just know he was sitting there scouting and assessing the Spurs during the whole game.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:07 PM
You just know he was sitting there scouting and assessing the Spurs during the whole game.

you bet he was

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:09 PM
i def saw AJ around everywhere

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:12 PM
:depressed this mantage is takin me back

bdictjames
12-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Looking at his picture on NBA.com's front page, that smile really is capturing.

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Doesnt sound like many boo-ers. Good job keepin it classy SA.

J.T.
12-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

lefty
12-22-2007, 11:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HxpLAoxnwJ0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UR5_SHtpvEE&feature=related

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Sean is always Sean, i like that

HighLowLobForBig-50
12-22-2007, 11:44 PM
how many times will AJ ask for "a few more minutes"

T Park
12-23-2007, 12:29 AM
He was very very important part of making the Spurs who they are now.

Its like a mount rushmore of the history of the Spurs.

Elliott, Gervin, Silas, Robinson, Johnson..

They made the organization it is now.

Period.

BTW, how many times you ever seen Pop cry?

There will be two times.

1. tonight

2. Tim Duncan's jersey retirement night.

Also, if there was a way to honor or "retire" a coach, Pop will definately get it too.

The Rafters are gonna be damn crowded in 15 years.

samikeyp
12-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Also, if there was a way to honor or "retire" a coach, Pop will definately get it too.

NY has Red Holzman's win total as the his "number" while Portland used 77 for Jack Ramsey (the year they won the title) so it can be done.

SenorSpur
12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Whudda know? Sounds like AJ got choked up, after all.

baseline bum
12-23-2007, 12:36 AM
David's speech was awesome, as was Avery's. I love when Sean said Cuban would be hanging from the rafters if he came in the arena. :lol

porscha
12-23-2007, 12:37 AM
sucky as a pg but I appreciated for all he has done for the spurs of those passing years and just don't like the fact he is in Mav right now and felt it is kind of weird to do this right now.

porscha
12-23-2007, 12:38 AM
the AJ and sean touch touch part was funny :lol :lol

angel_luv
12-23-2007, 12:51 AM
I did not want the jersey retired and don't like that it was.

However, there were parts of the ceremony I completely enjoyed.

Sean roasting Avery for example was awesome.
I appreciated Sean providing appropriate opportunities for me to get my boo out. :)

I loved the part of his talk when Sean talked about Dallas being a bad word around here. He told Avery, " We let you in the building but just you. If Cuban have showed he might have ended up hanging from the rafter instead of your jersey." :lol

Or something to that effect. I hope someone you tubed it because it was super funny.

I stayed until the unveil and then left as Avery began to speak.

I noticed that Timmy wasn't on the program to speak but was there front and center. I thought that was sweet of him.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-23-2007, 01:00 AM
It's spooky how much AJ's son looks like him

porscha
12-23-2007, 01:05 AM
hate to see these retirement..imaging when the day of manu and timmy retired ..that will be the day for my heart gets broken :cry :cry

E20
12-23-2007, 01:24 AM
can somebody put up a clipe of the retirment up?

duncan228
12-23-2007, 01:44 AM
can somebody put up a clipe of the retirment up?

Haven't found it yet, but this is the pregame interview with Avery, if you care.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/teams/spurs/avery_071222/pregame.asx&video=blank&nbasite=nba

BeerIsGood!
12-23-2007, 01:44 AM
So when is Elson's jersey retirement slated for? Oberto's? They put up stats as good as AJ did.

baseline bum
12-23-2007, 01:48 AM
Anyone who booed AJ at his night is a fucking douche. It was ok to boo Dallas and Cuban when Sean brought them up that tine, but that sucked when I heard some boos at other parts of the ceremony.

Kori Ellis
12-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Anyone who booed AJ at his night is a fucking douche. It was ok to boo Dallas and Cuban when Sean brought them up that tine, but that sucked when I heard some boos at other parts of the ceremony.
There was very very very little booing, outside booing the Mavs/Cuban/Rick Perry.

Kori Ellis
12-23-2007, 03:18 AM
I thought AJ's speech was really great. When he started crying when talking about when Pop called him this past summer to tell him they were retiring his jersey was very touching. His introduction of Tim Duncan was awesome. And the end of his speech about how it doesn't matter where you are or where you go, etc. was great. If I was a Mavs fan, I wouldn't have liked it :lol

angel_luv
12-23-2007, 07:57 AM
Did Timmy give a speech? I left after the unveil.

sa_kid20
12-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Did Timmy give a speech? I left after the unveil.
u missed the best part of last night. Proves u Avery haters don't know a damn thing about him.

Doc Jerome
12-23-2007, 09:54 AM
:fro All manner of miscreant behavior and revisionist reasoning can't erase AJ's accomplishments; both, as an NBA player and as a player with the Spurs organization. It's interesting that he was so beloved not only for his play in San Antonio, but for his community involvement as well. All that service, and a simple gesture of thanks to the guy that solidified your PG position and gave your team some much needed heart can't get the approval of the fans/city he helped give a legacy to.

That's COLD. U thought U had class, . . . guess U all were wrong. I still root for the Spurs, just not the fans or the city. I can without a doubt, say that San Antonio SUCKS.

Good luck to the Spurs, and to AJ in the playoffs. F*$K the fans.

Note: Copied for posterity.

FromWayDowntown
12-23-2007, 10:04 AM
There was very very very little booing, outside booing the Mavs/Cuban/Rick Perry.

There was, unfortunately, enough to be clearly audible between the time that Sean concluded his remarks and the time that AJ took the mic. AJ did a good job of addressing those who were booing and to remind them of the point of the ceremony. I thought it was terribly unfortunate that there were any who chose to stay for the ceremony just to boo AJ -- I'm sad for the emptiness in those peoples' lives and disturbed by the lack of class they chose to evidence last night.

It was a great ceremony and you could immediately feel the high regard in which Pop, Dave, and Sean all hold Avery.

Spursfan101
12-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Anybody out there think the only reason Avery got his jersey retired is because the number six is so unpopular and nobody's gonna want to wear number six?

SouthernFried
12-23-2007, 10:12 AM
:fro ...can't get the approval of the fans/city he helped give a legacy to.

That's COLD. U thought U had class, . . . guess U all were wrong. I still root for the Spurs, just not the fans or the city. I can without a doubt, say that San Antonio SUCKS.

There was a small minority of fans who boo'd. Less than 5%, and prolly closer to 1%. Which means 95% of the fans were supportive.

Sounds like some San Antonio babe dumped your ass and your just mad at the whole city.

Get a fucking grip.

Doc Jerome
12-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I see U resort to a fantasy defense for your city and fandom. Please, . . . Go to class. :fro

TwAnKiEs
12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I was cracking up on the part where D-rob was explaining how he came about to marrying his wife..."5-0!!! You Love that Girl......THEN MARRY THAT GIRL! Hilarious on the renactment :lol

BeerIsGood!
12-23-2007, 11:20 AM
:fro All manner of miscreant behavior and revisionist reasoning can't erase AJ's accomplishments; both, as an NBA player and as a player with the Spurs organization. It's interesting that he was so beloved not only for his play in San Antonio, but for his community involvement as well. All that service, and a simple gesture of thanks to the guy that solidified your PG position and gave your team some much needed heart can't get the approval of the fans/city he helped give a legacy to.

What a dumbass you are. You're pissed off that a small amount of fans don't like AJ and boo'd him so you are slamming an entire city? As far as I'm concerned, fans that paid to see the game have a right to boo whoever they want. Not everyone has to love AJ.

ducks
12-23-2007, 11:22 AM
I did not want it retired but I would have left not booed had I stayed if I felt I needed to boo

Texas_Ranger
12-23-2007, 11:22 AM
So...Is there a full video of the retirement?

BeerIsGood!
12-23-2007, 11:23 AM
There was, unfortunately, enough to be clearly audible between the time that Sean concluded his remarks and the time that AJ took the mic. AJ did a good job of addressing those who were booing and to remind them of the point of the ceremony. I thought it was terribly unfortunate that there were any who chose to stay for the ceremony just to boo AJ -- I'm sad for the emptiness in those peoples' lives and disturbed by the lack of class they chose to evidence last night.

It was a great ceremony and you could immediately feel the high regard in which Pop, Dave, and Sean all hold Avery.

Basketball. Game.

This wasn't someone interrupting a session of congress by screaming expletives at some fat cat senator from the balcony, this was a few people who didn't like and don't like AJ booing at a sporting event, where it's common and tolerated. It doesn't mean their lives are empty of their souls are lost, they just don't like AJ and wished to take the opportunity to show it that paying good money for a game ticket afforded them. You're going a bit overboard and taking this a bit too seriously my friend.

whottt
12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
I booed...sorry couldn't help myself.

baseline bum
12-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I booed...sorry couldn't help myself.

That's OK... I already knew you were a prick.

Sadly, you could still hear it on tv a couple of other times. Thankfully, most of the losers here who bash AJ here couldn't afford tickets and had to voice their displeasure from mom's basement.

ploto
12-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I thought AJ's speech was really great. When he started crying when talking about when Pop called him this past summer to tell him they were retiring his jersey was very touching. His introduction of Tim Duncan was awesome. And the end of his speech about how it doesn't matter where you are or where you go, etc. was great. If I was a Mavs fan, I wouldn't have liked it :lol
It surprises me that people can not seem to appreciate a guy who fought his way through the NBA-- who got cut time and time again, including the famous ones on Christmas Eve and the day of Dave's wedding-- who persisted and became an NBA champ, a coach of the year, and now his jersey retired. People applaud David for his community involvement, but AJ was also very instrumental in the Spurs creating an environment within which that is expected. Avery was important to the franchise and his accomplishments with Dallas in my view actually only further support his jersey being retired- not vice versa.

spursincharge
12-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the video from last night..

FromWayDowntown
12-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Basketball. Game.

This wasn't someone interrupting a session of congress by screaming expletives at some fat cat senator from the balcony, this was a few people who didn't like and don't like AJ booing at a sporting event, where it's common and tolerated. It doesn't mean their lives are empty of their souls are lost, they just don't like AJ and wished to take the opportunity to show it that paying good money for a game ticket afforded them. You're going a bit overboard and taking this a bit too seriously my friend.

Basketball. Game.

If you don't like that the guy's jersey is being retired, don't stick around for the ceremony. The ceremony wasn't part of the game; the game had ended 20 minutes earlier. And while it's common and tolerated for people to boo at games, it strikes me as unbecoming and sad for someone to punctuate a ceremony that many were happy to see (and a moment that was a huge, huge moment for a man and his family) by expressing their own displeasure about the fact that the ceremony was taking place. To choose to take time out of your life to attend a special ceremony just to be discourteous to the honoree strikes me as evidence of an empty and lost soul -- someone who would rather subject him or herself to misery in the hope of diminishing an accomplishment than seeking out his or her own happiness.

duncan228
12-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I thought AJ's speech was really great. When he started crying when talking about when Pop called him this past summer to tell him they were retiring his jersey was very touching. His introduction of Tim Duncan was awesome. And the end of his speech about how it doesn't matter where you are or where you go, etc. was great.

Has anyone got the whole thing on video?
NBA.com has highlights, YouTube has the pregame interview.

I'd love to see the whole thing.

samikeyp
12-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Yes because the entire city of San Antonio booed. :rolleyes

If you actually believe that those few who booed represent not only every Spurs fan everywhere and every San Antonian (regardless of whether or not they are Spurs fans) then you have no clue.

biba
12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
It surprises me that people can not seem to appreciate a guy who fought his way through the NBA-- who got cut time and time again, including the famous ones on Christmas Eve and the day of Dave's wedding-- who persisted and became an NBA champ, a coach of the year, and now his jersey retired. People applaud David for his community involvement, but AJ was also very instrumental in the Spurs creating an environment within which that is expected. Avery was important to the franchise and his accomplishments with Dallas in my view actually only further support his jersey being retired- not vice versa.

I am hundred per cent with you about that. :toast

The hate has drawn my attention to AJ life, story and accomplishments and this guy has got very much respect in my mind.

BeerIsGood!
12-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Basketball. Game.

If you don't like that the guy's jersey is being retired, don't stick around for the ceremony. The ceremony wasn't part of the game; the game had ended 20 minutes earlier. And while it's common and tolerated for people to boo at games, it strikes me as unbecoming and sad for someone to punctuate a ceremony that many were happy to see (and a moment that was a huge, huge moment for a man and his family) by expressing their own displeasure about the fact that the ceremony was taking place. To choose to take time out of your life to attend a special ceremony just to be discourteous to the honoree strikes me as evidence of an empty and lost soul -- someone who would rather subject him or herself to misery in the hope of diminishing an accomplishment than seeking out his or her own happiness.

I don't think people were seeking happiness by booing AJ during the ceremony. That's a very dramatic stance, and I think mostly incorrect. The truth us that many fans do not think that AJ's number is worthy of retirement, and that is a completely legitimate stance given AJ's output and performances during his time in SA. Some of those fans chose to voice their displeasure during the ceremony. I personally wouldn't have done that, but I respect the right of the fan who paid for their seat to voice their displeasure during the ceremony. Assuming that they are lost souls solely on this one act of displeasure about a jersey retirement is ridiculous. You're letting emotion cloud your judgement and you're projecting a very negative image onto people you don't even know.

SequSpur
12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
WTF? Who declared you non booers rulers? Shit, if people want to boo, cheer, sit silent then so be it.

I did catch the speeches. Obviously that group is pretty tight. Sean, David, Avery, Mario, Coach Pop, Red.... They got what they wanted, they got avery up there in the top. Big deal. Dude is a frickin awesome man, but still he was a shitty player. He was the one hole the Spurs had for years. Now its filled and the championships are fucking rolling in like a mofo.

All I can say is whatever... So when is the next game?

2centsworth
12-23-2007, 12:41 PM
The ceremony was real nice and I thought did a very good job of reminding people of the class AJ brought to the city and organization.

The problem is AJ hasn't exihibited that same class as a competitor.

ShoogarBear
12-23-2007, 12:52 PM
This is nothing.

Wait about 10-12 years for when the Church of Manu stays late to boo Tony Parker's jersey retirement.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-23-2007, 01:06 PM
This is nothing.

Wait about 10-12 years for when the Church of Manu stays late to boo Tony Parker's jersey retirement.

Who knew the future war between Argentina and France would begin in South Texas?

E20
12-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Can anybody post the ceremony off their DVR or something????!!!!

Kori Ellis
12-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I cried...sorry couldn't help myself.

Fixed.

spurspf
12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't think people were seeking happiness by booing AJ during the ceremony. That's a very dramatic stance, and I think mostly incorrect. The truth us that many fans do not think that AJ's number is worthy of retirement, and that is a completely legitimate stance given AJ's output and performances during his time in SA. Some of those fans chose to voice their displeasure during the ceremony. I personally wouldn't have done that, but I respect the right of the fan who paid for their seat to voice their displeasure during the ceremony. Assuming that they are lost souls solely on this one act of displeasure about a jersey retirement is ridiculous. You're letting emotion cloud your judgement and you're projecting a very negative image onto people you don't even know.

:clap :clap :clap

Wow, somebody made me disagree with FWD.

Bruno
12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Who knew the future war between Argentina and France would begin in South Texas?

:yield

sa_kid20
12-23-2007, 03:40 PM
I respect the right of the fan who paid for their seat to voice their displeasure during the ceremony.

If you don't like that the guy's jersey is being retired, don't stick around for the ceremony. The ceremony wasn't part of the game
FWD is exactly right on this one. People paid to see the GAME. The ceremony was AFTER . If you didn't agree with the ceremony then leave. It's not like they did it at halftime and people were forced to see the ceremony. If you didn't agree with the ceremony fine. But to stay just to boo is a classless act and just plain sad.

dude1394
12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
I just wanted to pop on here and give kudos to one classy organization, just flat out classy.

I got to catch the replay of the AJ ceremony and it was obviously moving to all who attended and the crowd that stayed was just as classy as the folks on that podium.

I have a ton of respect for Pops and David Robinson, if they are vouching for Avery then I'm right there with them.

I can only hope that cuban can be as classy (and I have my grave doubts) in the future. Maybe Avery can rub off on him and with age he can get a little more wisdom.

Great championship franchise, classy fans, classy ownership. Made me very proud that they hailed from Texas.

Good go Spurs...

FromWayDowntown
12-23-2007, 04:27 PM

To me, it's almost indistinguishable from being invited to a wedding of two people you don't think should get married. It's pretty pathetic, in my mind, to go to that ceremony to voice your displeasure about it. If you don't think the ceremony should be taking place, the reasonable route is to avoid the ceremony. It seems quite bizarre to me to subject yourself to the ceremony just so you can be a boor.

And, yes, I think that anyone who decided to stay for the ceremony just to boo the fact that it was taking place has a serious deficiency in his or her life. It's a pretty sad state of affairs, in my estimation, for anyone to decide to bring negativity to that sort of event. What difference does it make? Did anyone who booed think that such a reaction was going to bring the ceremony to an end? that it was going to make Pop and the Spurs reconsider this decision? Of course not. It's a juvenile and disrespectful undertaking -- and it was sadder still that it was undertaken by people who gave up their own time to sit there and engage in such behavior.

AJ heard the boos last night; his speech made that clear. To his credit, he answered the jackasses who took that route and, I thought, shamed them into shutting up for the rest of the evening. And for that, I give Avery tremendous props -- he was absolutely correct; he owned those who booed.

yourcheatinheart
12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
He was very very important part of making the Spurs who they are now.

Its like a mount rushmore of the history of the Spurs.

Elliott, Gervin, Silas, Robinson, Johnson..

They made the organization it is now.

Period.

BTW, how many times you ever seen Pop cry?

There will be two times.

1. tonight

2. Tim Duncan's jersey retirement night.

The Rafters are gonna be damn crowded in 15 years.

suns put THE one and only Cotton Fitzsimmons in their ring of honor. R.I.P. Cotton.

phxspurfan
12-23-2007, 06:58 PM
AJ heard the boos last night; his speech made that clear. To his credit, he answered the jackasses who took that route and, I thought, shamed them into shutting up for the rest of the evening. And for that, I give Avery tremendous props -- he was absolutely correct; he owned those who booed.

How did he respond to the boos?

duncan228
12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
For anyone still looking to see it, the whole ceremony is available now.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/teams/spurs/avery_071222/ceremony.asx&video=&nbasite=spurs

Texas_Ranger
12-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanx for the link.

duncan228
12-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanx for the link.

No problem.
I hadn't watched it, I posted it first.
Now I've watched it.
And I'm glad I did.

I thought it was wonderful.
Classy, like everything about this team and this organization.
A lot of humor, a lot of very obvious love and respect.
Pop, Robinson, and Avery all spoke so well.
Sean was great, he should emcee our next Alamodome celebration. :smokin
No offense to Bruce, but Sean's a natural at this stuff.

A personal side note: Avery's words about Duncan were wonderful.

Kriz-Maxima
12-23-2007, 10:13 PM
The ceremony was after the game not before or in between. If someone was against it taking place and chose to stay just to boo i think it speaks pretty shitty of them. No one rid them of their right to boo, but although it was their right it still pretty classless on their part.

robino2001
12-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I haven't seen this mentioned yet... so everyone's talking about staying and booing, etc... 1) I didn't hear the boos outside of the cuban/dallas/perry already mentioned... but the main thing - there was no more the 5-7k left for the ceremony. Maybe those who were in the lower deck couldn't notice, but the upper deck almost cleared out.

I was there for the Robinson and Elliott ceremonies - and VERY few people left... I was surprised to see well over half the arena check out at the buzzer for AJ last night - it wasn't just because it was a blowout early.

spursfan09
12-24-2007, 01:13 AM
I don't know why people are so upset that Avery got booed. It's just a game. My god. And as fans of the Spurs they have a right to show what they think of this retirement and express themselves. They are apart of the organization just as much as he was. And I do not think it shows fans as being so unclassy, it just shows that they are pissed he is a Maverick now. I mean his team freaken kept us from winning a championship one time. So hell yeah I wanna boo him and not be thought of as an evil or souless person. You beat my Spurs, thats enough to at least make you dislike you more.

E20
12-24-2007, 01:15 AM
To me, it's almost indistinguishable from being invited to a wedding of two people you don't think should get married. It's pretty pathetic, in my mind, to go to that ceremony to voice your displeasure about it. If you don't think the ceremony should be taking place, the reasonable route is to avoid the ceremony. It seems quite bizarre to me to subject yourself to the ceremony just so you can be a boor.

And, yes, I think that anyone who decided to stay for the ceremony just to boo the fact that it was taking place has a serious deficiency in his or her life. It's a pretty sad state of affairs, in my estimation, for anyone to decide to bring negativity to that sort of event. What difference does it make? Did anyone who booed think that such a reaction was going to bring the ceremony to an end? that it was going to make Pop and the Spurs reconsider this decision? Of course not. It's a juvenile and disrespectful undertaking -- and it was sadder still that it was undertaken by people who gave up their own time to sit there and engage in such behavior.

Well doesn't the preist ask if anybody thinks these two shouldn't be married? :lol

m33p0
12-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Well doesn't the preist ask if anybody thinks these two shouldn't be married? :lol

what if the priest asks that person to state his reasons? should that person be booed by the team in turn if pop, duncan and the rest of the team felt that it was uncalled for?

ludda
12-24-2007, 03:53 AM
just watched the ceremony..great stuff, very classy and the bond between pop, avery, david and sean was apparant and sincere. All the speeches were funny and seeing pop and avery with tears showed how much the two respect each other.

pking
12-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Thanks for posting the link.

Nice ceremony. Thought AJ was a little long winded but I still enjoyed it. I love that AJ and Pop got all teary...:lol

I really respect the Spurs organization.

pking
12-24-2007, 05:28 AM

When I saw this comment the other night, I was so anxious to hear the speech...thought I'd get riled up and pissed off :lol But nah, it didn't bother me. I completely understand where he's coming from and I can't blame him at all. If he had said 'I miss San Antonio immensly and wish I was back here' yea, I'd be annoyed lol But nah, I thought it was nice and honest.

spursparker9
12-24-2007, 05:51 AM
the sound quality was bad...i can't figure out what they were saying!

Man In Black
12-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Just go to properties and copy the entire url. Once you have it go to your Windows Media Player, open URL and then in full screen mode, access the graphic equalizer. 1K is speech and singing. Arc that to the top and you'll hear it better, not much better but at least you understand what they are saying.

whottt
12-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I didn't hear any boos other than the ones that accompanied every mention of the Mavs...

FWIW...AJ was extremely classy and actually sounded like his years as a Spur meant something to him...

Regardless of whether or not you like him, or think his jersey deserved to be retired...he didn't force the Spurs to retire his jersey, so that issue is probably better taken up with his fans, and he personally handled himself with complete class and grace...my biggest issues with AJ personally were his comments made at the end of his Spurs career and after leaving...

I've been against his jersey retirement...but I always said that if he actually stopped actling like a dick I wouldn't hold it against him personally or be near as upset bout it...he stopped acting like a dick so...I don't really have any issues with him.

I don't think booing him personally was the right thing to do...I certainly wasn't one of the ones doing it.

If you want to boo someone for it boo Pop and Don Harris...instead Pop got probably the loudest cheers of the night.

Also...I never knew that Pop was the guy that had to go and cut AJ on Christmas eve...that explains a lot about their relationship.

conqueso
12-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Basketball. Game.

:tu

violentkitten
12-28-2007, 12:32 AM
that jersey retirement was a long time coming for those of us who were with this team well before 1999. frankly i wouldn't care if aj was head coach of the lakers or jazz. we went up that hill together with aj. stop trying to rewrite history.

and kerr gets more love from many a spurs fan though he's now the suns' gm. go figure.

conqueso
12-28-2007, 12:34 AM

The point of that formality in the marriage ceremony is not for people to air their grievances about the impending union, but instead to determine whether any of the people in attendance, many of whom know either or both of the parties intimately, are aware of any legal reason why they can't get married (i.e. one of them is already married to someone else, one of them is underage, one of them is drunk, one of them is retarded, etc.)

Doc Jerome
12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
What a dumbass you are. You're pissed off that a small amount of fans don't like AJ and boo'd him so you are slamming an entire city? As far as I'm concerned, fans that paid to see the game have a right to boo whoever they want. Not everyone has to love AJ.

I see, U were one of the classless. To U and your brethren, the only dumbass is the one who would waste his/her time at a ceremony they don't want to attend, but attend anyway to boo a guy they cheered for and will undoubtedly cheer for again when that guy eventually becomes head coach for the Spurs organization. U are a flake in the truest sense of the word: "We love U, now we hate U, . . . Oh, my bad, . . . we R loving U now."

Like sheep, U R led by the purveyors of the collective lack of common sense associated with fandom. In sports, the fans reflect the sentiment of the city; if the fans suck, the city sucks. Own it.

U probably got a complimentary (free) ticket for the game. Don't even pretend that U spent money to see the game, and felt obligated to stay for a ceremony that wasn't part of the game, just to boo. Like I said, please go to class. :fro

samikeyp
12-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Like sheep, U R led by the purveyors of the collective lack of common sense associated with fandom. In sports, the fans reflect the sentiment of the city; if the fans suck, the city sucks. Own it.

But not all the fans booed, the majority cheered. So if the minority of the fans booed, and in your words "sucked", does that still mean the entire city sucks? Even those who didn't boo or didn't even go?

Whisky Dog
12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I see, U were one of the classless. To U and your brethren, the only dumbass is the one who would waste his/her time at a ceremony they don't want to attend, but attend anyway to boo a guy they cheered for and will undoubtedly cheer for again when that guy eventually becomes head coach for the Spurs organization. U are a flake in the truest sense of the word: "We love U, now we hate U, . . . Oh, my bad, . . . we R loving U now."

U probably got a complimentary (free) ticket for the game. Don't even pretend that U spent money to see the game, and felt obligated to stay for a ceremony that wasn't part of the game, just to boo. Like I said, please go to class. :fro

Looks like you need to read more carefully. It appears he didn't go to the game and said he wouldn't have booed anyway. FWIW, I agree that if you paid for a ticket to the game you have a right to boo anytime you want to as long as you don't cross that line into vulgarity or disrupting the peace. This isn't a wedding and the people who paid for tickets weren't invited to the game. They are not guests. They are paying customers who have paid for the right to peacefully voice their opinions.

Whisky Dog
12-28-2007, 04:36 PM

Also, no offense, but you just sound like an ass. If the fans suck the city sucks? Own it? What in the hell are you talking about?

timvp
12-30-2007, 06:30 AM
eZKupXhqm48

AJ: "Go Spurs Go"

:smokin

m33p0
12-30-2007, 08:05 AM
eZKupXhqm48

AJ: "Go Spurs Go"

:smokin

thanks!!!

BeerIsGood!
12-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I've come around a bit. I still think people who paid to attend the game had the right to boo him if they wanted to, but AJ came with class and it was a good night. Not the worst guy to retire his jersey.

Doc Jerome
12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Ahh. Whisky Dog. Why would U use 2 posts to call me out. I sound like an ass? It took U 2 posts to finally grow some balls in what amounted to a bunk response. Go lick your wounds, if for nothing else, your wounded pride. See me in class another post. :fro

traitoravery
12-30-2007, 04:13 PM
I think he was great for the Spurs organization and I am still pissed at Pop and co for letting him go to Dallas. I thought the Spurs should of atleast waited until he was done Coaching the Mavs to retire his number. IMO if he was so proud and shit to be apart of this organization, why would you start your coaching career in Dallas and build your team around beating your old Team. Why not Miami or Cleveland or Washington? Freakin Traitor