PDA

View Full Version : tim duncan sighting

z0sa
12-23-2007, 04:42 PM
he was just at pizza hut near la cantera parkway about 20 minutes ago. i was a little scared to ask him anything because a family asked him for his autograph and he just said "not today." he had a few members of his family with him, who though, ive got no clue. i was about to leave anyway so i just shook his hand and told him he was an amazing player (i was nervous gimme a break).

i asked the lady working there and she told me "he comes in often and always gets supreme."

interesting and my first time meeting him

duncan228
12-23-2007, 04:47 PM
How fun for you!

I think you did great to shake his hand and tell him anything.
I think if I met him I would probably sputter and get nothing out! :lol

SpursFanFirst
12-23-2007, 05:19 PM
(i was nervous gimme a break).

I was a babbling fool when I met Elliot earlier this year, so I get it.
Good for you! That's fun.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Met who? :madrun

J.T.
12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I saw Manu at Best Buy once. Some kids asked him for his autograph and he obliged, but from what I hear about Manu he always gives autographs and is really nice.

curtismedellin
12-23-2007, 07:02 PM

Same with me, I was working part time at the Mens Warehouse when Johnny Moore (my favorite all-time Spur)and his wife came to my register. He bought some accesories and was kind enough to give me an autograph after my manager asked him for me. I had the sweats and was trembling while I spoke with him, looked like a damn fool but i will always tresure that little piece of paper!

SpursFanFirst
12-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Met who? :madrun

damn...missed a "t." settle down.

duncan228
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
damn...missed a "t." settle down.

Was he upset because you missed a 't' or because Elliott is his favorite Spur and he's jealous?

SpursFanFirst
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Was he upset because you missed a 't' or because Elliott is his favorite Spur and he's jealous?

He's a little touchy either way :lol

z0sa
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Same with me, I was working part time at the Mens Warehouse when Johnny Moore (my favorite all-time Spur)and his wife came to my register. He bought some accesories and was kind enough to give me an autograph after my manager asked him for me. I had the sweats and was trembling while I spoke with him, looked like a damn fool but i will always tresure that little piece of paper!

i hear you ... i mean, it was in pizza hut and, well, honestly it just surprised me. i shook his hand and he just gave me the bug eyes and said "...okay." and that was all. lol

i mean, you really cant blame the guy for not wanting to be sociable while hes with his family and getting pizza

Amuseddaysleeper
12-23-2007, 10:23 PM
does duncan ever sign stuff before games?

i see manu doing it sometimes right before the players warm up

duncan228
12-23-2007, 10:28 PM
...he just gave me the bug eyes...

:lol
Classic.

Cry Havoc
12-23-2007, 10:51 PM
How fun for you!

I think you did great to shake his hand and tell him anything.
I think if I met him I would immediately start drooling and turn into a small puddle on the floor.

I think this is more accurate.

duncan228
12-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I think this is more accurate.

:lmao

I think you're probably right.

Thanks, I'll be laughing for days.

MrChug
12-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I was always a really well known guy growing up.
Whether it was the criminal element I was associated with, or doing well in sports, or just having alot of friends, I always had people wanting to say hi to me.

...and I was just a kid.

Growing up, I remember walking out of a "Stop N Go". I was with my father, who is my idol and my brother. 2 fugly sisters (neither of whom I knew their names) said "Hi" to me. I lifted up a hand and didn't even look their way. I got in the truck, and my Dad said something I'll never forget:

"Son...there's such a thing as being TOO cool."
...as in, you can be nice to everybody and still be cool. I take that here to this day.

Kori Ellis
12-23-2007, 11:19 PM
does duncan ever sign stuff before games?

i see manu doing it sometimes right before the players warm up

If I remember correctly, Duncan only signs after games not before, out of superstition. (I'm not 100% sure on this.)

ShoogarBear
12-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I was with my father, who is my idol and my brother. No wonder you were well-known.

duncan228
12-23-2007, 11:25 PM
"Son...there's such a thing as being TOO cool."
...as in, you can be nice to everybody and still be cool. I take that here to this day.

Is your point that Duncan should have signed for the family that asked?

From what I've gathered, he's usually very nice about signing and posing for a pic when he's spotted in the "real world."
But I will cut him some slack and not expect him to do it everytime he's approached. He'd never be able to go out. He's obviously well known in SA, he's brought Championships to the city, he does charity work in the community. I can't imagine how often he's approached.

It sounds like Duncan was nice about it, saying "not today" to the family that asked for the autograph and not just ignoring them. He still shook zOsa's hand.

From where I sit, Duncan is nice. And cool.

He should be able to pick up a pizza with his family and not be obligated to sign autograph's for everyone in the place.

RashoFan
12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
It is so hard not to make a babling,drooling fool of yourself when you get see one of the Spurs...there was a time when I ate at SushiZushi in S.O. and TP was at the table next to me, which I had not noticed until my friend told me who was at the next table. I was trying SO hard not to keep looking over at his table or steal the chopsticks, napkin and straw he used. :lol

samikeyp
12-23-2007, 11:49 PM
He should be able to pick up a pizza with his family and not be obligated to sign autograph's for everyone in the place.

:tu

T Park
12-24-2007, 12:04 AM
No kidding.

Gosh peeps, hes a normal human like everyone else.

Leave him alone, he doesn't owe anyone an autograph.

I always found autographs funny to begin with.

E20
12-24-2007, 12:05 AM
If I remember correctly, Duncan only signs after games not before, out of superstition. (I'm not 100% sure on this.)
Duncan is the wierdest black person I know.

ducks
12-24-2007, 12:15 AM
why be nervous
he has a belly button just like you

mystargtr34
12-24-2007, 12:18 AM
lol at E20

cornbread
12-24-2007, 12:19 AM
A man should be able to eat his pizza pie in peace.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-24-2007, 12:21 AM
He's a little touchy either way :lol
:flipoff

j/k And it was sarcasm by the way.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-24-2007, 12:48 AM
if it weren't for the fans half of the basketball players in the nba would be living and shitting in cardboard boxes and if they're lucky not the same one.

so fuck them when they refuse to sign autographs.

Sp Ginobili 20
12-24-2007, 12:58 AM
If I remember correctly, Duncan only signs after games not before, out of superstition. (I'm not 100% sure on this.)When I was in Oakland to see them play the Warriors, Tim came out and signed a few autographs before the game. Didn't sign too many, but it was nice of him to get out and try to sign stuff even if he was superstitious.

conversekid
12-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Who gives a fuck about autographs? Is this the fucking 80s? Tim doesn't owe me an autograph... Give me some more fucking championships.

z0sa
12-24-2007, 01:18 AM
well, i thought the same thing at first, cause i immediately wanted his autograph, but shit im sure every time hes out and about here in sa he gets swamped by everyone who meets him, its probably gotten old by now.

does he even do public events like autograph signing anymore?

m33p0
12-24-2007, 01:31 AM
i notice that duncan is a little more... focused... this year. easily gets more pissed off than usual on the court. of course, when he's pissed off, he's alot more effective on the court. and he's alot more assertive this past week than he was at the beginning of the season. could be just a coincidence that he's been like this since the release of the first results for the all-stars? he probably cares more about it than he has previously led everyone else on? or could it be that he's still pissed at himself for not being as dominant as he could have been in that phoenix game? (he missed quite a number of easy basket towards the end of the game) that's just my observation. what'd y'all think?

duncan228
12-24-2007, 01:35 AM
i notice that duncan is a little more... focused... this year. easily gets more pissed off as usual on the court. of course, when he's pissed off, he's alot more effective on the court. that's just my observation. what'd y'all thunk?

Duncan always ups it another notch when he gets pissed on the court.

I haven't noticed it more than usual this season so far, and he always picks up his intensity in the Playoffs.

missmyzte
12-24-2007, 01:55 AM
I've seen him sign several times before games, but he is especially sensitive about adults getting stuff signed so they could sell it on eBay.

Josh810
12-24-2007, 03:08 AM
I saw Oberto today at the Target at La Cantera. Guess he was getting in some last minute shopping.

We born to be bad
12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I saw Oberto today at the Target at La Cantera. Guess he was getting in some last minute shopping.

I haven't seen any Suns player, nowhere. :cry however I could be happy to see Oberto. :p: Authority for you... Oberto's cute cute cute... :devil

sincerely Merry Christmas Spurs fans! :santahat

I hope your wishes come true (well... not in all...not another ring :D)

samikeyp
12-24-2007, 09:18 AM
if it weren't for the fans half of the basketball players in the nba would be living and shitting in cardboard boxes and if they're lucky not the same one.

so fuck them when they refuse to sign autographs.

Who says they have to?

Just because you are a fan of the team doesn't mean the players on that team have to cater to your every whim.

They are allowed private lives like everyone else.

SpursFanFirst
12-24-2007, 09:56 AM
:flipoff

j/k And it was sarcasm by the way.

I was kidding too...then I got this ( :flipoff ) lovely gesture of goodwill.

Merry Christmas :santahat

angel_luv
12-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Timmy signs a few autographs.

He signed the plastic case I had his basketball card in.

I couldn't get the card out and wouldn't dream of asking Timmy to wait ( not because he wouldn't but because I was so in awe of him :) ) that I just sheepishly handed him the plastic which he signed and returned to me.

This was back in 04- and was only my second experience speaking to a Spur.

It is such a great thing I met Gino first. He is such a sweet heart and was so nice that he put me at ease about meeting players.

I've seen him sign several times before games, but he is especially sensitive about adults getting stuff signed so they could sell it on eBay.

So maybe it was good fortune for me that all I good produce was a plastic case. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I was kidding too...then I got this ( :flipoff ) lovely gesture of goodwill.

Merry Christmas :santahat
:santahat :toast

angel_luv
12-24-2007, 10:10 AM
I saw Tony Parker last night in the Terrace Club.

I was checking on table availability in the restaurant when Tony walked by ( about four feet away from me) with a huge group.
( I later learned that Eva was with him but didn't see her as she was the shortie among a bunch of people.)

My first thought, strangely enough, is that Tony is not that tall. I guess it is because I am used to Rasho who towered over me.

My second thought was, " Keep walking, Tony. Please don't want a table."
This was because I had none.

I have never officially met Tony Parker.
Or Hedo ( which I feel way more dissapointed about.)

Tony's dad comes to the restaurant from time to time and is super nice.
He'll stop by just to say hello. Very nice man.

foodie2
12-24-2007, 12:46 PM
No wonder you were well-known.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Good one. Grammar Is Important.

Buddy Holly
12-24-2007, 12:52 PM

You're talking about the Target at The Rim.

SpursFanFirst
12-24-2007, 12:58 PM
No wonder you were well-known.

:lol I just re-read that.

ploto
12-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Tim will sign stuff before games but you have to be able to get in early to do so because by the time the doors open, he is already back in the locker room. You see Manu all the time because he warms up closer to the start of the game and is still out there when the doors open.

Tim is protective of the time when he is with his family, as opposed to running into him somewhere when he is alone. Makes sense to me.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Tim will sign stuff before games but you have to be able to get in early to do so because by the time the doors open, he is already back in the locker room. You see Manu all the time because he warms up closer to the start of the game and is still out there when the doors open.

Tim is protective of the time when he is with his family, as opposed to running into him somewhere when he is alone. Makes sense to me.

I'm hoping to get there SUPER early before the ACC game in feb and see if I could get him to sign something, but it won't be the end of the world if he doesn't.

Would be a nice story to tell at the dinner table.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Just because you are a fan of the team doesn't mean the players on that team have to cater to your every whim.

it's a fucking signature during the fucking holidays! and it's a kid! what a dick duncan is...when I met Drob he was sooooo damn nice. he talked to us and everything as he was holding his kid who sleeping in his arms...i realise now i can't expect everyone to be as nice as drob and i also realize now that duncan is a complete fucking prick just like the rest of them.

he is able to travel around the u.s. to play 82 fucking games but he can't move his wrist a little bit to sign an autograph, as if that is the hardest part of hos job. yea well suck my cock. and i have no respect for him anymore as a person outside the arena

samikeyp
12-24-2007, 03:04 PM
it's a fucking signature during the fucking holidays! and it's a kid! what a dick duncan is...when I met Drob he was sooooo damn nice. he talked to us and everything as he was holding his kid who sleeping in his arms...i realise now i can't expect everyone to be as nice as drob and i also realize now that duncan is a complete fucking prick just like the rest of them.

he is able to travel around the u.s. to play 82 fucking games but he can't move his wrist a little bit to sign an autograph, as if that is the hardest part of hos job. yea well suck my cock. and i have no respect for him anymore as a person outside the arena

So he should drop what he is doing even though he might be with his family just to sign an autograph for you.

I don't think that one turned down autograph makes the dude a dick but to each his own.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-24-2007, 03:10 PM
drop what he's doing, meaning stop what he's doing for 5 seconds to move his wrist a little and make a kid happy just bfore christmas?

what the fuck is he going to talk about in 5 seconds that can't be put off to make a kid happy?

samikeyp
12-24-2007, 03:12 PM
So if Tim Duncan is eating dinner with his family, you think its ok to walk up, interrupt them and get an autograph.

Ronaldo McDonald
12-24-2007, 03:13 PM
make a kid happy > 5 seconds of conversation

bigfundamental21
12-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeah, he does sign. But you hae to be there way early. The only way to get in that early is if you have charter level or suite seats. He does not really talk to fans or anything, but he will sign. Manu is the best Spur for getting autographs. He always signs and will sign for everyone. The ones who never sign are Finley, Barry, and Horry. Parker signs when he wants to, but he skips around and only signs a few.

samikeyp
12-24-2007, 03:18 PM
I like athletes to sign as much as they can when but IMO they are not obligated to.

porscha
12-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Manu > any nba player :clap :clap :clap

Ronaldo McDonald
12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I like athletes to sign as much as they can when but IMO they are not obligated to.

i think it should be part of their contract, like talking to the media is.

Armando
12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I was a nervous babbling fool also when I met Shaq once.

ShoogarBear
12-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I was a nervous babbling fool also when I met Shaq once.Except for the nervousness, it must have been hard to tell you two apart. :lol

Armando
12-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Except for the nervousness, it must have been hard to tell you two apart. :lol

:lol

All I remember him saying is is that your camera. I have the picture hanging on the wall in my hallway.

tmtcsc
12-25-2007, 12:03 AM
I imagine Tim is more reluctant to sign autographs if he feels it will invite countless others.

I'm all growed up now and the stardom thing doesn't exist for me anymore. I appreciate these guys for what they do. Well, hold on a sec. I was absolutely thrilled to meet Manu at Best Buy soon after they beat the Pistons in '06.

I didn't ask for an autograph. I told him a funny story, thanked him for playing so hard and helping to bring 2 Championships to San Antonio. He said "Thank you, Sir.". Gulp. Here he was calling me "sir" while I felt as giddy as a ten year old kid. Hell, I'm 37.

mikeanthony21
12-25-2007, 09:52 AM

The ONLY Spurs player I have ever met in person was Larry Kenon, about a year after he retired. I met him at a little car wash that he had bought near the corner of Bandera and N. Gen. McMullen, next to Pizza Hut. Really nice fellow. Didn't get his autograph but he gave me a couple of coupons for a free car wash!

My only other contacts with NBA players were in 1989 when I was a manager at the Northwest 14 Theatres. The Lakers were in town one Tuesday when Magic Johnson, Michael Cooper, and Byron Scott walked in and bought tickets for a very forgettable Jean-Claude Van Damme movie that early afternoon. I remember thinking to myself how big Magic was. Got autographs from all three of them. Later that year, David Robinson walked in with his then-girlfriend Valerie. Can't remember what movie they saw but I had to order my ushers to keep out of the auditorium and leave David and his gal alone. Then, the following week, Terry Cummings walks up to the boxoffice to buy tickets for a midnight show. What I remembered most from that evening was Terry's Mercedes-Benz, which he parked in front of the theatre. Absolutely beautiful car, charcoal grey, chrome trim and rims, and a gorgeous woman in the passenger seat.

Dex
12-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I sat through the Da Vinci Code in the same theater as Tim and Amy Duncan.

And I'm pretty sure when the lights went down, I heard Tim crack open a soda, then slink down in his chair.

Basketball players are people, too. :lol

wattup4
12-25-2007, 12:36 PM
He's not a spur now, but I got to meet Steve Kerr before a game once. He was nice and asked my friend and I if we wanted a picture and signed stuff for us. I was extremely nervous and excitied! It was the first time I met an NBA player, so I was super excited.