PDA

View Full Version : Colorado is bringing in the talent.

Ignignokt
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
ranked no 18 in the nation as far as recruiting and are on path to get the number one RB in the nation, Darrell Scott.

What say you wHorns, Dirtburglars and Aggsters.

johngateswhiteley
12-23-2007, 11:52 PM
i say Colorado is too good a school and program not to get good talent. that being said, A&M's class is still better.

congrats.

Ignignokt
12-24-2007, 01:23 AM
i say Colorado is too good a school and program not to get good talent. that being said, A&M's class is still better.

congrats.

I'll concede, that said, our avg star rating is higher though and you have a larger class.

K-State Spur
12-24-2007, 01:41 AM
first, recruiting rankings are overrated.

second, hawkins is a good coach. and you almost have to try to not bring in good players to boulder. that area is an advantage that no other school in this conference can offer.

johngateswhiteley
12-24-2007, 01:54 AM
I'll concede, that said, our avg star rating is higher though and you have a larger class.

1) on scout.com A&M has a higher star rating
2) on rivals.com CU has a 0.01 higher star average...negligible

i'll take the larger class with the identical star rating. that being said, this is a good sign for colorado. as i said, the school should be a power.

Ignignokt
12-24-2007, 03:53 AM
This thread is brought to you by VictorioJackoffWhorn Free productions.

johngateswhiteley
12-24-2007, 04:04 AM
This thread is brought to you by VictorioJackoffWhorn Free productions.

:tu

johngateswhiteley
12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
first, recruiting rankings are overrated.

...if your coach is named Dennis Franchione, sure. but recruited players is just half the battle, the coach and staff have to get best out of them.

Thunder Dan
12-24-2007, 08:50 AM
High School rankings don't mean anything, it's what your coaches do to develop the talent. In the case of my favorite team (Ohio State), check out these high school rankings from Scout.com....they are all out of 5.

Troy Smith 3 Stars
AJ Hawk 3 Stars
Brian Robiskie 2 Stars
Antonio Pittman 3 Stars
Vernon Gholston 3 Stars
James Laurinaitis 3 Stars

samikeyp
12-24-2007, 09:20 AM
High School rankings don't mean anything, it's what your coaches do to develop the talent. In the case of my favorite team (Ohio State), check out these high school rankings from Scout.com....they are all out of 5.

Troy Smith 3 Stars
AJ Hawk 3 Stars
Brian Robiskie 2 Stars
Antonio Pittman 3 Stars
Vernon Gholston 3 Stars

Are you sure?

Sincerly,
Mack Brown.

:lol

johngateswhiteley
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM

Troy Smith 3 Stars
AJ Hawk 3 Stars
Brian Robiskie 2 Stars
Antonio Pittman 3 Stars
Vernon Gholston 3 Stars

...of course there are exceptions and you are using a very small sample size. i'm pretty sure USC's classes have been working out just fine. as i said before, i think they (sites) do a pretty good job of evaluating talent, but its up to the coaches and their systems after that...not to mention the recruits personality. and there will always be those that slipped through the cracks, worked harder in college, or matured later (college). but none of that has to do with rankings out of high school.

Thunder Dan
12-24-2007, 12:06 PM
...of course there are exceptions and you are using a very small sample size. i'm pretty sure USC's classes have been working out just fine. as i said before, i think they (sites) do a pretty good job of evaluating talent, but its up to the coaches and their systems after that...not to mention the recruits personality. and there will always be those that slipped through the cracks, worked harder in college, or matured later (college). but none of that has to do with rankings out of high school.

Small sample size? These are recruits of Ohio State's from the last 4 years, there is a Heisman winner, a Butkus Winner, a Lombardi winner, a future first rounder (Gholston) and a Antonio Pittman. I left off others like Malcolm Jenkins who was a 3 star and was a finalist for the Thorpe Award and will be drafted in the first round come April.

K-State Spur
12-24-2007, 12:07 PM

Troy Smith 3 Stars
AJ Hawk 3 Stars
Brian Robiskie 2 Stars
Antonio Pittman 3 Stars
Vernon Gholston 3 Stars

It's a little bit dated, but Terry Pierce and Terence Newman were both 1 star recruits.

(In part because of guys like that, Rivals changed their system so that any player with a D1 offer automatically receives a second star.)

K-State Spur
12-24-2007, 12:11 PM

The sites just follow the offers of traditional powers and rank players accordingly. Players are ranked according to the schools that are recruiting them, not in terms of actual predictors of future success.

Need proof? Just look at the team recruiting rankings year in and year out. They usually follow success/failure - but rarely PREDICT it.

Nothing against Jeremy Crabtree of Rivals, but I have yet to hear of any school offering him their recruiting coordinator job.

TheTruth
12-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Good for the Buffs. My brother currently goes there, so I'm a huge fan. I've got complete faith in Hawkins. If he can turn Boise St. into a BCS winner, he's gonna do magic with the Buffs.

StylisticS
12-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Small sample size? These are recruits of Ohio State's from the last 4 years, there is a Heisman winner, a Butkus Winner, a Lombardi winner, a future first rounder (Gholston) and a Antonio Pittman. I left off others like Malcolm Jenkins who was a 3 star and was a finalist for the Thorpe Award and will be drafted in the first round come April.

I believe the ultimate example on how overrated stars are is looking at that 2001 Miami Hurricane team. Arguably the most talented team in college football history, hardly anyone was a 4 or 5 star talent. I believe Sean Taylor was a 3 star as well as Willis Mcgahee.