PDA

View Full Version : when tony play santa claus

fred33
12-24-2007, 02:17 AM
Parkers help brighten holidays for families

Web Posted: 12/23/2007 11:00 PM CST

Josh Baugh
Express-News

When Alberto Kreimerman's chain of Pharr-based Hermes Music stores became a perennial moneymaker in the late 1980s, he wanted to use his profits to do some community good, so he bought 500 toys and crossed the Rio Grande to give them to needy children in Reynosa, Mexico.
On Sunday, the Buenos Aires, Argentina-born musician and businessman brought his Hermes Music Foundation Project of Love to the Freeman Coliseum, where he and scores of volunteers distributed more than 15,000 Christmas gifts to thousands of families. In all, the foundation distributes more than 100,000 toys annually in McAllen, Laredo, Brownsville, Miami, Mexico and the Alamo City.

advertisement

"This is the reason why we're here: to share love, music and, heck, rock 'n' roll," he said.

Children and their parents weaved through a maze of fence and rope on the coliseum floor to pick up an assortment of toys, from skateboards and bikes to various sports balls, while bands played on stage. Ezekiel Chelley, 11, said he couldn't wait to pick up his first skateboard.

"I'm going to try to do tricks on it," he said. "I've wanted a skateboard for two years."

His mother, Burgundy Lee, said they attended the Project of Love just so Ezekiel could get one.

"I think it's great. I love the music," she said of the event. "I see everybody smiling — from the kids to the parents."

But the main attraction of the day was the special appearance of two San Antonio stars who drove the crowd wild.

Tony Parker and Eva Longoria Parker helped distribute hundreds of basketballs, footballs and soccer balls to screaming fans, who threw their hands in the air and struggled to catch a glimpse of the couple.

Parker, the Spurs' starting point guard, shot basketballs with precision into the crowd. But the footballs often missed their mark as he hurled them into the seats. Spryly, he punted soccer balls across the coliseum for a bit before he and his "Desperate Housewives" star wife waved goodbye.

Volunteer Sylvia Diaz said the event was heartwarming.

"It's just been beautiful for all these people to get together ... and come out to help give out these gifts," she said.