PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Injured finger to keep Ginobili benched for now

some_user86
12-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Spurs: Injured finger to keep Ginobili benched for now

Web Posted: 12/23/2007 09:51 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News staff writer

This time pestering isn't going to get Manu Ginobili back on the court for the Spurs.

Ginobili, the 6-foot-6 shooting guard whose 19.2 points per game makes him the team's No. 2 scorer, likely will miss Wednesday's game against the Chicago Bulls after re-spraining ligaments in his left index finger in Saturday's victory over the Los Angeles Clippers at the AT&T Center.

Ginobili first sprained the ligaments when he tried to break his fall after a collision with Portland's James Jones on Dec. 2. Though his left (shooting) hand was still swollen and sore, Ginobili managed to talk coach Gregg Popovich into letting him play against the Dallas Mavericks three days later.

Thirty-seven points and an important victory later, Popovich was convinced he had made the right decision.

But the soreness lingered longer than expected, and now, after Ginobili badly banged the same finger in the first quarter of Saturday's game, Popovich will have to be convinced before he lets Ginobili return. In between the coach's lines after a light practice session on Sunday morning was the implication Ginobili may miss more than just Wednesday's game against Chicago.

"He's probably going to miss a little bit of time," Popovich said. "It's just a matter of how much.

"They X-rayed it and there is nothing new, but he's got a bad hand. The ligaments are quite sore, and whatever happens to the ligaments has happened without tearing."

Asked if he will be more resistant if Ginobili appeals to suit up when Popovich prefers that he sit, Popovich sidestepped a definitive answer.

"Manu is a tough one," he said. "He's such a competitor, he wants to play. I'm just going to wait about two days and see how his hand reacts to the treatment they are giving him. We'll wait and see."

Ginobili's injury was countered somewhat by the return of Tony Parker. The Spurs' point guard had missed three games with a sprained left ankle. He was a little rusty on Saturday, but with Ginobili almost certain to be inactive Wednesday night, Parker believes added aggression will be a requirement.

"I think I'll be a little more aggressive and try to do a little more stuff," said Parker, who attributed his 6-for-17 shooting Saturday to his 11-day injury hiatus. "I'm just going to keep playing my game."

Popovich said Ime Udoka's 17-point, nine-rebound effort while filling Ginobili's minutes Saturday merits giving him more playing time Wednesday. Most of that will come in the first three periods.

Come crunch time, Parker and forward Tim Duncan will take on more of the Spurs' offensive focus.

"The fourth quarters change for us to some degree," Popovich said. "That's why it's good to have Tony back. He can make some things happen for us. We're going to go to Timmy, Tony or Manu in the fourth quarter, usually. So it takes some options away.

"During the meat of the game, it's just a little bit of a different mix on the floor. People are getting a chance to see how Ime plays, and he's figured out how they play. So it's probably a good thing in the end, as far as Ime getting acclimated to his team."

Elson healthier: Backup center Francisco Elson, who has missed two games with a sprained left mid-foot, participated in all of Sunday's practice, and played a spirited game of two-on-two after practice with Udoka, Matt Bonner and Robert Horry. He moved well on the sore foot, and Popovich said he will be a game-time decision Wednesday.

"He's starting to feel stronger," Popovich said. "But I'm anxious to see how he feels (this) morning, because this is really the first time he's done any active work."

No Grinch: Popovich scheduled another practice for this morning, but nothing for Christmas Day.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122407.SpursHurting.en.261ea7c.html

timvp
12-24-2007, 04:51 AM
Hopefully Manu can get back soon. At least there doesn't appear to be any ligament damage. As long as he waits it out, the risk of re-injury will be pretty low going forward. But he shouldn't return until he can take a hit to the finger.

Whatever the injury is must hurt pretty bad. That was the most pain I've ever seen him in.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
this is enough proof that Manu played the last 6 or 7 games injuried,since the Blazers game.

SpursFanFirst
12-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I hope he gets better soon, too...but I'm also glad he's getting some much-needed rest.

polandprzem
12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Manu will be okay.
I believe Pop will not let him play too soon. Still we did not hit january yet.

Elson - the guy who can be the difference in the playoffs this year off the bench must get into a game ASAP. I want to have him in the regular rotation as much as possible.

Harry Callahan
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
It's stinks not to have the toughness and determination of MG out there for a little while, but it is more important to keep the big three as fresh and healthy as possible for the playoffs. All three are needed (playing at a high level) for this team to get where it wants to go. Seeding is not as important as being locked in when it really matters.

At least we don't have to wonder anymore why Manu was struggling so much offensively. Get the man healthy and unleash him on the league again soon. The November Manu is the guy that can carry this team in spurts during the year and make the Spurs a favorite again this year.

TwoHandJam
12-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Hopefully Manu can get back soon. At least there doesn't appear to be any ligament damage. As long as he waits it out, the risk of re-injury will be pretty low going forward. But he shouldn't return until he can take a hit to the finger.

Whatever the injury is must hurt pretty bad. That was the most pain I've ever seen him in.
More than the sprained ankle in his rookie year?

ducks
12-24-2007, 01:05 PM
manu needs to refuel his body
he was running on empty

greens
12-24-2007, 06:34 PM

I was looking through some Spurs/Clippers pix the other day, and in one of them, Manu looks like he's in a lot of pain indeed...Just looking at his face, you can see it clearly...:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/slideshows.shtml

mookie2001
12-24-2007, 07:06 PM
this is enough proof that Manu played the last 6 or 7 games injuried,since the Blazers game.Bullshit

freemeat
12-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Much needed rest for Manu is wonderful news!

Hopefully, he'll be 100% when Pop decides to bring him back.