PDA

View Full Version : It was inevitable

Experiment2100
12-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Yankees finally get Randy Johnson
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/

The Diamondbacks reportedly have agreed to trade five-time Cy Young winner Randy Johnson to the Yankees for Javier Vazquez, two minor leagues and cash.

Duff McCartney
12-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Finally.

atlfan25
12-30-2004, 06:00 PM
reportedly, the minor leaguers are Dioner Navarro and Brad Hasley along with 8-9 million. some fine ballplayers

King
12-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Randy Johnson is a huge name, and still (one of) the best pitchers in the game, but they'll regret trading Vazquez. Not that they won't go out and get another big name pitcher in two years when Johnson is retired.

I'd be more upset about the Yankees doing this if they were winning it all, but they still lose year in and year out.

Brodels
12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Please god, deliver a salary cap to Major League Baseball. No sport needs it more.

whottt
12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
There is a functioning salary cap in MLB. It's been in place since 03.

Steinbrenner doesn't care.

T Park
12-31-2004, 02:52 AM
they have 1 pitcher, whooptydoo.

the other 4 are what lost it for them.

Mussina is OK, who else do they have?

Kevin Brown?? PFFFT whatever.

Duff McCartney
12-31-2004, 03:43 AM
They have Pavano and Jaret Wright as well dumbass.

samikeyp
01-01-2005, 03:55 PM
There is a functioning salary cap in MLB. It's been in place since 03.

there is?

T Park
01-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Jaret Wright

you mean the 4.50 ERA Fatass who couldnt pitch in the playoffs??

Whoopty fuckin doo Hippydumbass.

BTW, other than last year, a "contract year" When has Pavano pitched well??

Thank you good bye tard.

T Park
01-02-2005, 02:47 PM
i think hes getting salary cap and luxury tax mixed up Mikey.

ducks
01-02-2005, 04:54 PM
there is?

yankess have to pay 25 million fine for going over the cap :elephant

atlfan25
01-02-2005, 05:18 PM
you mean the 4.50 ERA Fatass who couldnt pitch in the playoffs??

i believe jaret wright is the 3.28 era dumbass who was owned by beltran in the playoffs.

3rdCoast
01-02-2005, 06:08 PM
I will bet 50 BUCKS that Jaret Wright is not a fat ass.
6'2, 230 is not a fat ass.

T Park
01-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Hmm, explain why he failed his physical the first time around.

Wright will be the next gopher pitcher that the Yankees overpay.

3rdCoast
01-04-2005, 12:00 AM

explain why you cant pay 50 bucks on time.

its that woooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooo!!!!

atlfan25
01-04-2005, 12:08 AM

Wright will be the next gopher pitcher that the Yankees overpay.
don't know that it makes him fat. he will probably not be that good a pitcher in pinstripes now that he decided that leo mazzone had nothing to do with him being good again. i would expect a era somewhere close to 5 with a possible sub .500 record. yankees at least have a injury clause in his contract:

If he is on the DL because of a shoulder injury for a combined 75 days or more during the first two years, the Yankees can opt out of his salary for 2007 and pay a $4 million buyout. If he doesn't go on the DL for 75 days or more because of a shoulder injury during the first two years, the third season becomes a player option.

however that would only save them like 3 million dollars, thats nothing to stein, hardly worth the effort in making that clause.

whottt
01-04-2005, 02:44 PM
there is?

Yes, it's a soft cap, even softer than the one in the NBA, but there is a cap and a luxury tax penalty, and it has curbed the spending of every one but the Yankees.

You notice teams aren't signing players to 25 million dollar a year contracts anymore right?

And if the other owners aren't satisfied with it then they need to blame themselves because it was the cap they wanted, the players gave in like never before.

And I think ducks is off, I think when it is all said and done Steinbrenner will be paying a lot more than 25 million...because there is revenue sharing that works like luxury tax in the CBA as well.

Basically it's just like the NBA cap except there are no restrictions on signing outside FA, there is only a financial penalty.

I mean your remember the short strike at the end of the 03 season right?

That was when all this stuff was put in place, and the harsher stance on drugs was put in place at that time as well.

Anyway, a lot of teams are getting paid big money from Steinbrenner for the roster he has built. Those owners are making $$$ off of it.

George Steinbrenner just wants to win more than anything else, more than any other owner in pro Sports, and he has the financial means to try and do it.

...besides it's not like he's winning World Series lately or anything...and he's putting a lot of other teams in the green with his pursuit.

whottt
01-04-2005, 03:15 PM
And one other thing that I don't think most people realize, George Steinbrenner is not the wealthiest owner in MLB...he's not even close to it.

Ninetendo who owns the Mariners has 20 times the wealth of Steinbrenner.
Rupert Murdoch is the 4th richest man in the world, and he owns the Dodgers.
The Tribune Company who owns the Cubs has more wealth.
Freaking Disney owned the Angels up until a year ago.

The biggest travesty of all...Carl Pohlad...

That scumbag that tried to contract the Twins if the taxpayers didn't given him a new stadium...he is wealthier than Steinbrenner.

As is Tom Hicks

As is Time Warner who owns the Braves..and on and on and on.

So you see, it's not Steinbrenner you should be angry at...

It's either, the fans of the NY Yankees, or the other tightass owners who view pro sports as a money making venture, or the greedy players whose financial drives can never be satisfied.

I mean has it ever occurred to anyone that Steinbrenner is able to spend what he spends because Yankee fans support their team like no other? Maybe they do it because they have an owner who goes all out to win?

Anyway, I am a Ranger Fan....but I get tired of people blaming Steinbrenner...in some ways Steinbrenner might be the only thing right with MLB. I mean do you see the Yanks whoring the Yankee stadium naming rights out? Hell, their jerseys don't even have naming rights.

IMO, Steinbrenner isn't what's wrong with MLB, it's the other owners and the players...they are stupid and they are greedy. Steinbrenner just wants to win, his team makes money, and he uses their greed against them.

Steinbrenner gets what players he wants because of those players greed...

He gets to do it because he is now paying other owners off, he is getting to do it because of the greed of the other owners...

He's using their greed against them, while he just wants to win.

T Park
01-04-2005, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE]Rupert Murdoch is the 4th richest man in the world, and he owns the Dodgers. [QUOTE]

I think he sold the Dodgers, but your point is well made.

whottt
01-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah he might have, seems like I remember hearing that, but he wasn't spending in the Yankees league when he did own the team...inspte of much more financial resources to do so...ditto Time Warner(and I'm not entirely sure they still own the Braves either)...ditto Disney.

MLB owners are the biggest collection of white collar scumbags in the World...and just about the worst one is the commissioner...that he can be bought is why he is the commissioner.

I'm not sure who is the worst after Selig...Pohlad is pretty bad...

But I think Tribune Company is the worst, they have the most loyal fans in the world, they have one of the most profitable teams in the world, that sells out no matter how bad they are...and yet they have never put the finanical resources into fielding a winner that their loyal fans have deserved and that the teams' income has justified.

Hicks isn't as bad as those guys, he's just really stupid when it comes to MLB.