PDA

View Full Version : Scott Skiles Fired

emo serb
12-24-2007, 12:33 PM
According to ESPNEWS. Didn't see a thread on this, I'll look for the link.

emo serb
12-24-2007, 12:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3167808

Bulls fire coach Skiles; no replacement named yet

Bulls coach Scott Skiles has lost his job as a result of his team's slow start.

The Bulls have lost three of their last four games and were booed throughout Saturday's home loss to the Rockets. Despite high expectations, the Bulls (9-16) have the third worst record in the Eastern Conference.

"This was a difficult decision to make, but one that was necessary at this time," general manager John Paxson said in a statement Monday. "Scott helped us in many ways during his time with the Bulls; most importantly, he helped this franchise get back to respectability. I am appreciative of his hard work and the imprint that he left on our team."

The Bulls said no decision has been made on a replacement for Skiles.

Ben Wallace said Saturday he would welcome personnel changes if it would help the club.

"That's one of those things that goes along with this league," said Wallace. "Change is not always bad. If everybody wants to be here we have to step it up and go out there and play basketball."

------------
Isn't this like the worst time to get fired?

bdictjames
12-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Its about time somebody gets fired. I agree, with the spirit of Christmas and all, but Scott knew it was coming.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Damn!!!!!
Jeff VanGundy time in Chicago maybe????????????

Vinny Del Negro
12-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Uh more like Bob Hill time.

kingsfan
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
No big surprise there, just the timing maybe. I don't think he gets on well with the players from what I've heard. Hopefully this will help the team.

ducks
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
wonder what it would take to get Nocioni, Andres

ducks
12-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Bulls should explore trade for McGrady

Monday, Dec 24, 2007 8:58 am EST
Tracy McGrady

Getty Images

Is it time to bring Tracy McGrady to the Chicago Bulls? The Houston Rockets are stumbling amid great expectations, and McGrady has been out with sore knees and sore feelings, and there are rumblings in Houston about a trade.

So is there a match for the Bulls? McGrady makes $18.2 million this season and has about $43 million left in two seasons after this.

The Bulls could match that easily with, say, Ben Wallace and Gordon, giving the Rockets power forward protection for center Yao Ming and a shooter for their gang that can't shoot straight. Wallace could return to his natural power forward position while the Bulls get a big guard who is an All-Star.

BeerIsGood!
12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Pay me the millions he made and you can fire me on Christmas Eve, twice on Christmas day, and three times on New Year's.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 12:53 PM
wonder what it would take to get Nocioni, Andres

They won't let him go.
Defense wise the guy gives 110 % night in and out,and He's a pure hustler.
Unless the Spurs would give up someone like Oberto or Elson+a wing(Barry or Finley's expiring contracts).

ducks
12-24-2007, 12:54 PM
they might want to do something to snap them out of it besides the coach
elson and barry in a heartbeat

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Pay me the millions he made and you can fire me on Christmas Eve, twice on Christmas day, and three times on New Year's.

..and them you could actually buy a part of Miller Ltd. or Budwiser Co. :lol

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
they might want to do something to snap them out of it besides the coach
elson and barry in a heartbeat

What about Oberto+Findog?
I wouldn't do it.

lefty
12-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Damn!!!!!

Exactly what I thought

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Exactly what I thought

we're on the same page them :tu

SpursFanFirst
12-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Hopefully it's someone good. At the start of the season, my finals pick was Spurs beating Bulls.
That wasn't looking too good, but maybe there's still a chance. :elephant

edit: then I saw the story about the Bulls possibly making a trade for McGrady. :depressed There goes my prediction.

ducks
12-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Oberto I would have to think about
because elson is a fa after this year
oberto plays better in postseason then regular season but you have to get there
ofcourse spurs have ian soooo but he can not be counted on now for the title run

AZLouis
12-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Why does Skiles get canned for front office failures?

Things would be mighty different with the Black Mamba in Chi-town.

Kriz-Maxima
12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
McGrady? Isnt Ben's contract bad enough?

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
:lol

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I say the Bulls should get rid of hinrick and Big beng and bring onboard an experienced PG to run the team + a PF and a C.

Texas_Ranger
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Damn!!!!!

Yea. I think he should sign with the Bulls.
:blah

Budkin
12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Skiles was a shitty ass coach. Bout time he got canned.

JamStone
12-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Hoorah! Headbands for everyone! :elephant

td4mvp21
12-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Larry Brown?

Bruno
12-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Merry Christmas Scott. :spin

SequSpur
12-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Tmac is so overrated.

xbocker
12-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Im a Bulls fan and I'll tell you one thing, its not Skiles fault. The front office blew off trades which include Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, they sign overrated Ben Wallace with shitful of cash, they draft Joakim Noah for energy and not for gameplay (ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDING ME??? ENERGY!!!!!), They wont sign Deng and Gordon.

thispego
12-24-2007, 02:20 PM
they should just replace skiles with jordan

whottt
12-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Skiles isn't the one that needs to be fired...Paxon is the guy that needs to get fired.

Bulls have no interior scoring presence that's because Paxon would rather have 67 SF on the roster.

I mean Skiles has pissed off all the players but the reason his act doesn't work on them is because it doesn't produce wins...it doesn't produce wins because Paxon has not aquired pieces that fit....so Skiles just beats a dead horse trying to produce wins...

Bulls were stupid to pass on an opportunity to get Scola....

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Bulls were stupid to pass on an opportunity to get Scola....

Oh shit,the sky will fall!!!!!!!!!!!
nooooooo :lol

Armando
12-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Next town Larry Brown

Armando
12-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Paxson is the one thats needs to be fired. Seriously you pass over Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas? You pass up KG and Gasol for what? To keep Deng and his back problems?

JamStone
12-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah, Paxson needs more accountability definitely. First he trades LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa. Then he trades Tyson Chandler and replaces him with Ben Wallace for four years, $60 million. Luol Deng, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyson Chandler as a front court would not be bad.

E20
12-24-2007, 04:03 PM
The guy dished out like 30 assists in one game. :tu

Armando
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I will say this Skiles needs to change his approach to coaching. Phoenix? Chicago? I mean is telling that Bulls players were telling players from other teams that they were tuning Skiles out. His act grows old quickly with players. He is always so intense I can see him yelling at a toaster if his bread is burned. Of course there is no excuse either for how bad the Bulls have been so far this season.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah, Paxson needs more accountability definitely. First he trades LaMarcus Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa. Then he trades Tyson Chandler and replaces him with Ben Wallace for four years, $60 million. Luol Deng, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tyson Chandler as a front court would not be bad.

This is the correct answer. I mean if the Bulls were losing and they had Pau Gasol, then I could see the firing. But that's a totally dysfunctional roster. I'm sure that Skiles will get another job soon, I'm thinking Minnesota. He works best with young players, and he could really whip that roster into shape. Plus he'll have the low post powerhouse in Al Jefferson that he never had in Chicago.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Pop yells at everyone,and He used to yell at TD,TP and Manu when younger.
I believe It has to do with the kind of players you work with
If you work with stupid arrogant players who think they're the shit it makes it harder to the coach,as if you have humble type of players.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-24-2007, 04:32 PM
If you work with stupid arrogant players who think they're the shit it makes it harder to the coach,as if you have humble type of players.

It's also better if you work with younger guys. I'm sure that Ben Wallace didn't care that much for Skiles coaching style, considering he's already a proven veteran on the downside of his career with a championship ring.

Extra Stout
12-24-2007, 04:37 PM
The guy dished out like 30 assists in one game. :tu
I remember that game. He really got 20 or 21 assists, but the scorekeeper got carried away and started counting by twos.

Armando
12-24-2007, 04:39 PM

The difference being is that Pop picks his spots. I doubt he is in thier faces after every loss.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 04:49 PM
The difference being is that Pop picks his spots. I doubt he is in thier faces after every loss.

well, they(SA) only loose just about 25 % of the games they play since He took over,so it's hard to compare both cases.
I think the Bulls just fucked up signing Wallace and leting go Chandler,and that was the begining of the end.

Armando
12-24-2007, 04:53 PM
well, they(SA) only loose just about 25 % of the games they play since He took over,so it's hard to compare both cases.
I think the Bulls just fucked up signing Wallace and leting go Chandler,and that was the begining of the end.

Imagine a frontline of Chandler,Deng and Aldridge. I am still confused by Aldridge for Thomas trade.

jacobdrj
12-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Congrats to the Bulls and props for the GM recognizing that Scott had lost his team. Unfortunately, it may have come too late for them, but at this point at least there is still a chance they can recover.

Hey, best coach on the free market right now is Carlisle... best person to turn things around there, and to be reunited with Ben, it could be a good thing. Not saying it will happen, just think it would be cool.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Iamgine a frontline of Chandler,Deng and Aldridge. I am still confused by Aldridge for Thomas trade.

you're not alone.

DOMINATOR
12-24-2007, 05:11 PM
they gave up Elton Brand too.

xbocker
12-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Bulls need Larry Brown.

jacobdrj
12-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Bulls need Larry Brown...

...like they need a hole in the wall...

xbocker
12-24-2007, 05:57 PM
they gave up Elton Brand too.

Not really, Jerry Krause got rid of him.

itzsoweezee
12-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Bulls need Larry Brown.

please, someone make this happen. it would be so great to see larry brown go down in flames, again. and sucking the spirit out the entire chicago fanbase while he's doing it would be the icing on the cake. get on it paxson. this is just the type of boneheaded move you'd be in favor of.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
the right move should be get on the phone and call coach J. VanGundy,them see what happens.

DOMINATOR
12-24-2007, 06:16 PM
the right move should be get on the phone and call coach J. VanGundy,them see what happens.
JVG already turned it down.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Damn,that was fast :lol
Is it official or just rumors though?

mystargtr34
12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
That team cant even run crisp offensive sets... they fumble the ball on hand offs theyre too late on their curls and they put up bad shots.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-24-2007, 06:28 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/2134217030_6a5d880882_o.jpg

Merry Xmas from John Paxson

Indazone
12-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Ben Wallace Sucks. Never in a million years would I make that trade.

eisfeld
12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Chicago made a couple of stupid moves in the past but they have still a very good line-up. Some guys might be overrated, but they're not bottom of the league quality. What Chicago lacks is a leader on the floor and a scoring big-man.

OldDirtMcGirt
12-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Chicago made a couple of stupid moves in the past but they have still a very good line-up. Some guys might be overrated, but they're not bottom of the league quality. What Chicago lacks is a leader on the floor and a scoring big-man.

Those are some pretty big problems. They also have a six foot shooting guard with terrible shot selection, and a point guard with who can't shoot for shit.

jacobdrj
12-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Ben did exactly what he was paid to do: Beat Shaq in the playoffs. It can be debated whether Tyson could have eventually done the same thing (in lieu of this season's events) however, the point is now moot. It can be debated whether they mortgaged their future. However, there is no sense in crying over spilled milk. They must move on, and the next coach will most likely be an upgrade over Skiles, who last year made it on to my Old School Coach's List (not a compliment).

xbocker
12-24-2007, 07:35 PM
JVG already turned it down.
who said, where did you hear this??

xbocker
12-24-2007, 07:56 PM
had the Bulls drafted LaMarcus Aldridge. Oh, that's right, they did.

xbocker
12-24-2007, 08:04 PM
heres the video of what Scott Skiles had to say

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3167808

lefty
12-24-2007, 09:10 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/2134217030_6a5d880882_o.jpg

Merry Xmas from John Paxson

:lmao

Dave McNulla
12-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I will say this Skiles needs to change his approach to coaching. Phoenix? Chicago? I mean is telling that Bulls players were telling players from other teams that they were tuning Skiles out. His act grows old quickly with players. He is always so intense I can see him yelling at a toaster if his bread is burned. Of course there is no excuse either for how bad the Bulls have been so far this season.there is no magic formula. but you can't ignore that #1 and #2 coaches with the most longevity in the nba yell at their players on a regular basis.

ducks
12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
he got fired before thomas

bu the knicks have to find a replacement before they fire thomas

Spawn
12-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Had they got Kevin Garnett, we wouldn't be talking about this, for they would have been where the Celtics are now. This team has overacheived for three straight seasons, a tribute to good coaching. Without a legitimate scoring threat down low, and an overated "nucleus" they haven't a chance, regardless of who is coaching. The blame needs to be spread around a bit in my opinion.

xbocker
12-24-2007, 11:12 PM
The blame needs to be spread around a bit in my opinion.

But what matters the most is who takes the biggest blame.

Spawn
12-24-2007, 11:24 PM
But what matters the most is who takes the biggest blame.

Very true.

td4mvp21
12-24-2007, 11:38 PM
I hope they get a good coach. I like the Bulls and I think they have a lot of potential.

xbocker
12-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Lets look at it this way: Skiles will wake up on Christmas morning and he won't have to worry about coaching a jump-shooting team that can't shoot. He won't have to concern himself with an overpaid, underachieving center. He won't have to hear the undercurrent that he's too tough on his players, and jerks around their playing time too much.

Dirk Nowitzki
12-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Eh it's not like this move will make them any better. The front office fucked up several times the past few summers overrating average decent players like Deng and Ben Gordon when it came to land someone like Kobe or KG. This team just isnt very good. A coach will only do so much. Oh and drafting Noah was such a wasted pick for them. God whoever made the decision to fucking draft Noah with a top 10 pick should get shot. Face it. The Bulls are seriously fucked. There is no one to build around. This team will get blown up within 2 years.

freedom&justice
12-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Ben Wallace strikes again? They probably won't get Carlisle, 'cause Ben hates him. Same goes for LB. JVG's probably the best bet.

NBA Junkie
12-25-2007, 07:38 AM
If the Bulls get a JVG or Brown type coach, it'll happen in the offseason.

Armando
12-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I suggest D"Antoni

ancestron
12-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Boy what happened to Ben Wallace anyway. He sucks now. Didn't he used to be like semi-decent and occasionally pretty good? Anyone know what his season high in points is this year? He should've never left Detroit.

Ben Wallace is like a rhythm guitarist. With Detroit, he was the rhythm guitarist for a kick ass multi-platinum selling rock band that had an awesome lead guitarist, and incredibly talented members that made his rhythm playing sound good. Now in Chicago, Ben wallace the rhythm guitarist is being asked to play lead in a new band that kinda sucks and everyone is noticing Ben Wallace can't play lead.

oh and BTW SKiles should have gotten fired long before now IMO.