PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Udoka Gets A Shot

duncan228
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Okay, it's Hoopsworld...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=6629

Spurs' Udoka Gets a Shot

By: Bill Ingram

The San Antonio Spurs brought Ime Udoka in with one eye on the future, but also one eye on the present. Scouts across the NBA were saying that Udoka, formerly of the Portland Trailblazers, had the potential to be the next Bruce Bowen. He's a tough-minded defender with a nose for the ball and he has the ability to drop the open three. By singing him the Spurs were hoping to get Bowen's eventual replacement into the mix while Bowen is still at the top of his game.

Ironically, it wasn't Bowen he replaced in San Antonio's win over the Clippers.

Manu Ginobili has been nursing a sore finger for quite some time, but with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker both missing games due to injuries he simply didn't have the luxury of sitting out. On Saturday night both Duncan and Parker were back in the lineup, so when Ginobili re-injured the same finger head coach Gregg Popovich opted to finally get his star guard some rest. It spelled a rare opportunity for Udoka.

The 29 minutes Udoka played in the Clipper game represented his longest outing of the season. He had broken double figures in minutes only four times all season, and thus was not putting up great numbers. His season high came in the season opener, when he logged 24 minutes and responded with 14 points and six rebounds. But his opportunities since then have been few and far between.

Popovich doesn't play around with his lineup much at all, so the chances for a new player to get into the rotation are almost entirely dictated by injuries. Someone goes down and another player gets a chance to show what he can do. But it's usually just the one chance, and if the player doesn't do well he'll get buried at the end of the bench. This time Udoka made the most of his window.

With 29 minutes off the bench, Udoka compiled 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting, grabbed eight boards, and helped the Spurs pull out a 99-90 win over the Clippers.

The word on Ginobili is that his finger's going to need some time to heal, and as Spurs fans know Popovich isn't going to risk further injury - especially in December and January. He wants his team ready to go in April. If that means sacrificing some games in January, so be it. So don't be surprised to see Manu sit out a few games as he tries to rehab his finger.

It should also come as no surprise if Udoka, given some additional minutes, continues to put up solid numbers.

ducks
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
told people he would get a shot
he made the most of it

barry for Andres

BeerIsGood!
12-24-2007, 12:58 PM
told people he would get a shot
he made the most of it

barry for Andres
Yes, that's a trade the bulls want really badly.

If Ime does well does this mean some of Finley/Barrys min when Manu is back? Probably not.

SequSpur
12-24-2007, 01:29 PM
udoka is to passive.

Bruno
12-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Comparing Udoka to Bowen would be a mistake. They aren't the same kind of players. Udoka will never be as good as Bowen on the defensive end but he is more versatile. Udoka's offensive skills are ahead of Bruce's ones and Udoka is a quite good rebounder.

Hemotivo
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Bowen
Meilleur marqueur de Pro B 1995

SequSpur
12-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I compare Udoka to Carl Herrera.

Mr. Body
12-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Udoka's already shown a great knack for slipping spaces for passes and rebounds. He has a native feel for the game.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 02:43 PM

wasn't Herrera a PF??

my2sons
12-24-2007, 02:49 PM

really, when did herrera ever score 14pts. nevremind, you ain't worth it...

jag
12-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Okay, it's Hoopsworld...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=6629

Spurs' Udoka Gets a Shot

By: Bill Ingram

Popovich doesn't play around with his lineup much at all

wow...i think the've already had over 10 different starting lineups...

worthless

Cant_Be_Faded
12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
I can't help but agree with the Whottt when he said Udoka's post defense is vastly superior to Bowen's, and this definitely could come in handy down the road.

I don't know what it is: technique or raw strength, but he always seems to manage himself well while being posted up.

mystargtr34
12-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Im a big fan of Imay... rugged defender

SenorSpur
12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
He does seem to have a nose for the ball, very good rebounder with a tough-minded attitude.

Let's not forget that he lured Mike Miller into committing two very quick fouls and an extended trip to the bench during the recent game versus Memphis. Recall that Miller torched the Spurs for 31 points in the game. I would've liked to have seen Udoka spend some additional time on Miller.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the young man finally getting a shot a some meaningful, rotational minutes.

Darkwaters
12-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Udoka could be a very nice piece down the line. I just hope that hes a nice piece this year as well.

freemeat
12-24-2007, 10:05 PM
With Bowen signed for another three years (including this one) and, in my opinion, not showing much of his age, what chances do we have (outside of injury) to see more of Udoka?

I love the rotation Pop keeps, but at what point -- with Udoka signed through the end of next season -- does he see what kind of on-court/in-game caliber player he is in this Spurs system?

some_user86
12-24-2007, 10:10 PM
With Bowen signed for another three years (including this one) and, in my opinion, not showing much of his age, what chances do we have (outside of injury) to see more of Udoka?

I love the rotation Pop keeps, but at what point -- with Udoka signed through the end of next season -- does he see what kind of on-court/in-game caliber player he is in this Spurs system?

Think of Udoka as a Finley replacement, not a Bowen replacement, when we go small. In fact, think of him as a Finley replacement in general.

The Truth #6
12-24-2007, 10:13 PM
^^^I believe Tony said that there won't be many expectations of Ime until next year.

freemeat
12-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Think of Udoka as a Finley replacement, not a Bowen replacement, when we go small. In fact, think of him as a Finley replacement in general.

Yeah, I can see him playing more of a Finley-type of role offensively. But won't they be expecting him to play Bowen-type D? For the last handful of years, Bowen has consistently guarded the opposition's best player...I was under the impression that the Spurs would ask the same of Ime as Bruce slows down, no?

However, if it is the case that he's a Finley "replacement", I'm not so sure Pop would ask him to fill in offensively the same way. Guarding Kobe and Dirk can wear a guy out on the other end of the floor...unless he's taking uncontested threes from the corner. :)

^^^I believe Tony said that there won't be many expectations of Ime until next year.

Parker? Otherwise, who is Tony? If that was something TP said, I'd totally be interested in knowing what context he said that in...doesn't seem like one of Pop's players to be able (or maybe even allowed) to discuss the Spurs future rotation plans.

If that was indeed TP, any thoughts where you may have heard that? Very interesting...

If it was just another poster, then I'm a jackass (again). :donkey

some_user86
12-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Yeah, I can see him playing more of a Finley-type of role offensively. But won't they be expecting him to play Bowen-type D? For the last handful of years, Bowen has consistently guarded the opposition's best player...I was under the impression that the Spurs would ask the same of Ime as Bruce slows down, no?

However, if it is the case that he's a Finley "replacement", I'm not so sure Pop would ask him to fill in offensively the same way. Guarding Kobe and Dirk can wear a guy out on the other end of the floor...unless he's taking uncontested threes from the corner. :)

Well, I was talking more in terms of Finley's position, but yeah, he would be on the floor for his D, not his offense (even though his offense is more versatile than Bowen's). When we go small, we generally have Tony, Manu, Bruce, Fin, and Tim, correct? Well, I meant to say that Udoka would be in place of Fin in this lineup, generally playing an undersized-PF, just like Fin. And similarly, I expect Udoka in the regular lineup in place of Fin next year. I think Udoka has demonstrated that his perimeter D isn't as good as Bowen's, but his interior D is much better. Similarly, I think Udoka has demonstrated in the minor glimpses we have seen so far that he provide a little juice in the offense. He won't be asked to take over Fin's job in terms of offense, but he still can provide some juice.

freemeat
12-25-2007, 02:52 AM
Well, I was talking more in terms of Finley's position, but yeah, he would be on the floor for his D, not his offense (even though his offense is more versatile than Bowen's). When we go small, we generally have Tony, Manu, Bruce, Fin, and Tim, correct? Well, I meant to say that Udoka would be in place of Fin in this lineup, generally playing an undersized-PF, just like Fin. And similarly, I expect Udoka in the regular lineup in place of Fin next year. I think Udoka has demonstrated that his perimeter D isn't as good as Bowen's, but his interior D is much better. Similarly, I think Udoka has demonstrated in the minor glimpses we have seen so far that he provide a little juice in the offense. He won't be asked to take over Fin's job in terms of offense, but he still can provide some juice.

That being said, you think he can guard some smaller PFs (aka Dirk) come next season?

some_user86
12-25-2007, 04:06 AM
That being said, you think he can guard some smaller PFs (aka Dirk) come next season?

I think he would do a better job than either Finley or Bowen could, but we haven't seen enough of him to know how effective he can be. We'll see how he does in the next few games; hopefully, he'll get a shot at more playing time with Manu being out.

freemeat
12-25-2007, 04:35 AM
I think he would do a better job than either Finley or Bowen could, but we haven't seen enough of him to know how effective he can be. We'll see how he does in the next few games; hopefully, he'll get a shot at more playing time with Manu being out.

Better than Bowen?

I hope he gets more time just for the sake of us fans wanting to see who he really is...but is he an expenditure in the rotation right now?

some_user86
12-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Against PFs? Possibly. He has more weight, and through his limited exposure, we have seen handles being posted up better than Bowen does. Bowen's greatest asset in defense is his speed and agility, which he uses to get a shooter out of his comfort areas. The guy never stops moving. It doesn't work as well (though it still works sometimes) against bigger players. Udoka doesn't have Bowen's lateral quickness to deal with perimeter players as well, but he does have strength. My hope is he can use that against the Dirks, while Bowen handles the Howards and Terrys of the league (or whoever else has a hot hand). Again, Bowen is still sometimes effective against the bigs, but he is much more efficient against the smaller perimeter players.

anakha
12-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Against PFs? Possibly. He has more weight, and through his limited exposure, we have seen handles being posted up better than Bowen does. Bowen's greatest asset in defense is his speed and agility, which he uses to get a shooter out of his comfort areas. The guy never stops moving. It doesn't work as well (though it still works sometimes) against bigger players. Udoka doesn't have Bowen's lateral quickness to deal with perimeter players as well, but he does have strength. My hope is he can use that against the Dirks, while Bowen handles the Howards and Terrys of the league (or whoever else has a hot hand). Again, Bowen is still sometimes effective against the bigs, but he is much more efficient against the smaller perimeter players.

Co-sign.

Maybe not so much the bigs, but the swingmen who like to operate in the post are what have given the Spurs fits before. The Bonzi Wells/Ron Artest type of players. Hopefully Udoka can be effective defensively for the Spurs against them.

SequSpur
12-27-2007, 12:09 AM
udoka is to passive.

uhh... ummm I may have been a little wrong...

T Park
12-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Nahhhh you? never...

SequSpur
12-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Nahhhh you? never...

Sometimes I'm not so perfect after all.

T Park
12-27-2007, 12:20 AM
I can hear the voice of your wife saying

"No shit sherlock" in the background.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-27-2007, 12:24 AM
:lol

nfg3
12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I would love to see Ime get more minutes this year but will probably not. Injuries will play a part in this though. I looked at the signing as a way to get a tough minded defender who can knock down the 3 into the fold while Bowen still in his prime and Ime being his replacement in the future. With Bruce showing no signs of slowing down - he is pretty unbelievable to be playing at this level at his age :toast - I'm starting to buy into the "Finely" idea. He won't totally be Finely since their games aren't that similar but the Spurs will definitely benefit by getting his skills into the mix. I see only good things happening when that occurs on a regular basis. But it may not happen until next year.

AFBlue
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
It's good to see Ime taking advantage of his extended time on the court. He is becoming more comfortable in the system, showing solid defense, and a has a nice offensive game that is beginning to show itself.

Having said that, I think that keeping him in the rotation when the other swingmen come back might be a bit premature. I wouldn't expect him to perform to his recent level on a consistent basis until sometime next year when he's had a full year in the system.

Still, it's a nice luxury to have Udoka on the bench to call on when other swingmen are injured or perhaps mired in a slump.

BTW, for comparison's sake I like Raja Bell the best. And I would prefer he fills Bowen's role on the court rather than Finley...meaning that he concentrate on defense and not on shooting a minimum of 10 shots a game.