PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Notebook: Spurs glad to be home for holidays this season

some_user86
12-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Notebook: Spurs glad to be home for holidays this season

Web Posted: 12/24/2007 07:30 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs players received their best Christmas present in the summer, when the NBA released its annual schedule.
No game on Christmas Eve. No game on Christmas Day. No game at all between Dec. 22 and Dec. 26, when they face Chicago at the AT&T Center.

It meant the Spurs could spend Christmas at home. In the NBA, it's no small luxury.

Christmases in a foreign city, like the one the Spurs spent in Detroit two seasons ago, are "bad, bad, bad, bad, bad," forward Bruce Bowen said.

"You're always wishing you could be back in San Antonio with your family," Bowen said. "So you kind of rush through the game and try to get back home."

The Chicago Bulls must endure that kind of blue Christmas this season. They will arrive in San Antonio sometime today in preparation for Wednesday's game.

Spurs injury update: Backup center Francisco Elson, who is battling a sore right foot, practiced for the second day in a row Monday. He is expected to be available Wednesday.

Brent Barry, who is having problems with his calf, went through a limited workout for the second day in a row but he too is expected to play.

Manu Ginobili, wearing a soft cast on his left hand to protect a sprained index finger, did not practice and already has been ruled out of Wednesday's game.

[email protected]

LINK: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.122507_spursNOTES.en.1c7247e.html

duncan228
12-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm thrilled they got this time at home with their families.
The season is so long, so grueling. They're away from home so much.
I think having this time will refuel them. Bring their bodies a little rest and their hearts some joy.

The NBA should give this break in the schedule to the defending Champions every year.
It's a gift and I know this team appreciates it.

Merry Christmas to the Spurs.

Rummpd
12-25-2007, 09:17 PM
SA should have been on playing someone at home - end of discussion. It is a slam on the champs.

whottt
12-25-2007, 10:07 PM
SA should have been on playing someone at home - end of discussion. It is a slam on the champs.

I love it personally...ABC/ESPN's refusal to promote the Spurs ends up hurting them worse than anyone else...they pay a billion dollars for the broadcasting rights and then refuse to market the best team in the league...

Makes me thoroughly enjoy their bad finals ratings...

Here's to another low rated finals(in America) and another championship in the process...doesn't hurt the Spurs, doesn't really hurt the NBA either since they are paid a billion for the US rights and are busting out into the world market...only hurts ABC and ESPN. ABC being stupid...deserves this.

m33p0
12-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I love it personally...ABC/ESPN's refusal to promote the Spurs ends up hurting them worse than anyone else...they pay a billion dollars for the broadcasting rights and then refuse to market the best team in the league...

Makes me thoroughly enjoy their bad finals ratings...

Here's to another low rated finals(in America) and another championship in the process...doesn't hurt the Spurs, doesn't really hurt the NBA either since they are paid a billion for the US rights and are busting out into the world market...only hurts ABC and ESPN. ABC being stupid...deserves this.

:tu

Dec 24 and 25 should be a holiday even for professional athletes anyway.

urunobili
12-26-2007, 07:37 AM
i kinda like ABC/ESPN refusing to broadcast the champs... they'll suck it up again.. and BTW thanks for adding more fuel to their spirits for this season's repeat run

ArgSpursFan.
12-26-2007, 08:00 AM
well the Spurs and specially the big 3 needed all this time off to get some rest and recover from injuries.
So it was good to spend time with the family and to get back in shape.