PDA

View Full Version : Bulls-Spurs Preview

duncan228
12-26-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20071226/CHISAS/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome

Bulls-Spurs Preview
By Mike Votta, STATS Senior Writer

Their coach is gone, and the Chicago Bulls know he might not be the only casualty of their disappointing start.

Two days after Scott Skiles was fired, the Bulls hope to begin turning around their season when they visit the defending champion San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday.

The Bulls (9-16) have reached the playoffs the last three seasons and came into 2007-08 with high hopes after advancing to the second round last season. However, they currently own the third-worst record in the Eastern Conference, and the team is hoping a change at the coaching position will help.

"I felt like something was going to happen," forward Luol Deng said. "I didn't know whether it was players or coaches. But you could definitely feel there was something. It just didn't seem like we were on the same page."

Skiles went 165-172 after replacing Bill Cartwright in November 2003. The Bulls didn't immediately announce a replacement, and general manager John Paxson said he does not expect to hire a coach until after the season.

Assistants Pete Myers or Jim Boylan will likely take over on an interim basis, and Myers will coach the team against the Spurs.

"I don't have a long-term solution as of today," Paxson said. "I'm disappointed in the way we're playing, the way we're competing, the energy or lack thereof that we're playing with on the floor. I know expectations coming into the year were really, really high and we're not even close to those. I honestly believe we're a better team than we've played this year."

Skiles' firing could be a sign of more changes to come if the situation doesn't improve.

"Our players now are put in a position where they have to look in the mirror and see what they can do to get this back on track," Paxson said. "The message wasn't being received by them. A lot of the pressure is on them right now."

The Bulls have lost three of their last four and were booed by the home crowd throughout Saturday's 116-98 loss to the Houston Rockets. Kirk Hinrich had 22 points and Deng added 21 for the Bulls, who are shooting a league-worst 41.3 percent and rank second-to-last with 92.0 points per game.

Ben Wallace returned to the lineup after missing two straight games with bone spurs in his left foot but did not score and had only five rebounds in 28 minutes.

"I wouldn't say we stopped playing for Scott," Hinrich said. "Every time I go out there, I'm playing for my teammates, my coaches. We should all be in this together."

The Bulls' first game without Skiles likely won't be an easy one. Chicago has dropped 14 of 17 against the Spurs (19-7), including seven of eight in San Antonio.

However, the Bulls did win 99-87 at home on Jan. 15 last season in the last meeting between the teams.

A three-day holiday break should really benefit the Spurs, with Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili recovering from injuries.

Parker had missed four games with a sprained ankle before returning Saturday, finishing with 18 points and six assists in a 99-90 win over the Los Angeles Clippers. It was just San Antonio's second win in six games.

Ginobili, though, left in the first quarter with a sprained left index finger. Second on the team with 19.2 points per game, Ginobili originally injured the finger Dec. 2 and had been trying to play through it.

"His hand's been bothering him for a long time," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "The X-rays are all negative, but the ligaments are in bad shape. It's like a sprained thumb, sort of. You keep hitting it and hitting it and it never gets healed. ... He's back to square one."

It's unclear if Ginobili will be able to play Wednesday.

Tim Duncan, who missed four games earlier this month with a sprained ankle, had 34 points and a season-high 18 rebounds Saturday. He's averaged 28.7 points and 16.3 boards over the last three games.

Sam the Snowman
12-26-2007, 09:54 AM
the Bulls hope to begin turning around their season when they visit the defending champion San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday.

:lmao

Dex
12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
'Bout damn time. It seems like forever since the Spurs have played. :lol I don't know how I ever survive the offseasons.

Thanks for always being on the ball with the Game Previews. Thought you deserved a job well done in the holiday spirit.

duncan228
12-26-2007, 10:23 AM
'Bout damn time. It seems like forever since the Spurs have played. :lol I don't know how I ever survive the offseasons.

Thanks for always being on the ball with the Game Previews. Thought you deserved a job well done in the holiday spirit.

Thanks. :santahat
I'm always surprised that no one has them posted before I do.
It gives us a place to talk until the game blog is up.

I'm with you about surviving the off season.
Some years seem longer than others, this summer it felt like the season would never get here!

Dex
12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
This summer was particularly bad. I usually have a harder time after the championship years, because I'm so revved up to see the team get back out there and try for that repeat.

I know after .4 in 04, and Dallas in 06, I pretty much just pretended that basketball didn't exist for a good month and a half, so that made the summer seem much shorter. :lmao

ancestron
12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Scott Skiles got fired?!?!?
That probably is the best thing that could have happened for the Bulls.
Skiles is a boneheaded jock asshole authoritarian control freak who just screws up basketball players.

duncan228
12-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Hoopsworld ( I know...) chimes in:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/TheWireStory.asp?id=7869

Spurs look to stay hot at home against new-look Bulls

Chicago (9-16) at San Antonio (19-7) 8:30 pm EST

SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) - The San Antonio Spurs have been nearly unbeatable at home, winning 14 of their first 15 games at the AT&T Center.

On Wednesday, the Spurs host a Chicago Bulls team playing in its first game since Monday's firing of coach Scott Skiles.

Defending NBA champion San Antonio has actually struggled lately, winning just two of its last six games after a 17-3 start. The Spurs' 99-90 home victory over the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday snapped a two-game losing streak as Tim Duncan had 34 points and a season-high 18 rebounds.

Tony Parker had 18 points in his first game back since missing four with a sprained left ankle, but top San Antonio reserve Manu Ginobili left in the first quarter with a sprained left index finger.

Despite high expectations, Chicago has one of the worst records in the Eastern Conference, leading to Skiles demise.

The Bulls have lost three of their last four games and were booed frequently during their most recent home game. Assistant Pete Myers will take the helm on an interim basis.

Chicago hasn't won a season series against the Spurs since the 1997-98 campaign.

duncan228
12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Scott Skiles got fired?!?!?
That probably is the best thing that could have happened for the Bulls.
Skiles is a boneheaded jock asshole authoritarian control freak who just screws up basketball players.

Lots of conversation here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83923

duncan228
12-26-2007, 02:40 PM
From Sports Network, a little about the division and a little about tonight's game.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/acn4118932.htm

Spurs have tough competition in Southwest Division

(Sports Network) - The defending world champion San Antonio Spurs are going to have to earn the top spot in the Southwest Division. The Dallas Mavericks and New Orleans Hornets are playing well and look like they are going to give the Spurs a run for their money this season.

The division-leading Spurs (19-7) are one game ahead of second-place Dallas and 2 1/2 games in front of the third-place Hornets. San Antonio is 1-1 against the Mavericks and 1-0 versus New Orleans this season.

All-Stars Tony Parker and Tim Duncan continue to lead the Spurs. Parker leads San Antonio is scoring (20.0 ppg) and assists (6.8 apg), while Duncan, who is third on the team in scoring (18.6 ppg), is averaging a team-best 9.7 rebounds per contest.

The Spurs are 12-0 when they score 100 or more points this season. San Antonio is 3-4 when its opponent reaches the century mark.

Just days after head coach Scott Skiles was relieved of his duties, the Chicago Bulls visit the defending world champion Spurs on Wednesday at the AT&T Center. It is the first of two meetings between the Spurs and Bulls this season. Chicago is scheduled to host San Antonio on March 20, 2008 at the United Center.

The teams have split the last four contests. Chicago has lost seven of its last eight at San Antonio.

San Antonio plays the second of a four-game homestand against Chicago. Duncan scored a game-high 34 points and pulled down 18 rebounds to lead the Spurs to a 99-90 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday at the AT&T Center.

Parker finished with 18 points and Ime Udoka had 17 points and eight rebounds for the Spurs, who snapped a two-game losing streak. Manu Ginobili left late in the first quarter with a sprained left index finger.

Ginobili, who is averaging 19.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists, is questionable for Wednesday's contest.

The Spurs are an impressive 14-1 as the host this season. They will host the Toronto Raptors on Friday and the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday at the AT&T Center.