PDA

View Full Version : McMillan coach of the year?

lefty
12-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I know it's early, but if Portland ends the season over .500, I think he should get the award.

Of course, at some point, I think the Blazers will have a bad streak because some good teams with more experience will start playing better, and then they will wake up and get back to winning games.

BacktoBasics
12-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Even at .500 I don't think he deserves it. This team was bound to mature even a little at some point.

MrChug
12-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree. He's a frontrunner at THIS point in the season, but give them a 3-4 game slide soon or worse he's out of the picture.

duncan228
12-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I've always liked McMillan.
I thought he should have been recognized in '04-'05 for how far he brought that Seattle team.
He was given a young team, Payton was gone, Ray Allen came in. It was said in the beat reporter articles that the Sonics were thinking of a 5 year building process. McMillan got them to the WCSF's that season, way ahead of the "schedule."

tlongII
12-26-2007, 07:48 PM
He's definitely the front-runner. I'm sure we'll have our rough stretches over the rest of the season, but I think we'll make the playoffs.

tlongII
12-26-2007, 07:50 PM
I also think we're more talented than a lot of people realize. We've got a lot of depth and we have a "go to" player in Brandon Roy.

inconvertible
12-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I think the league is letting portland coast......someone check the fouls they are getting......I bet they are getting the benefit in anticipation of an OLDMAN return......

inconvertible
12-26-2007, 10:00 PM
setting portland up to become a "national" team.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-26-2007, 10:55 PM
I'll puke if they end up giving COY to Doc Rivers

Spaceman Spiff
12-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Van Gundy could make a case in Orlando if they finish with the 3 seed (which is very possible). Portland has had a cake schedule during this run, they'll come back to earth and fall out of the playoff race. No way they are better than Utah and don't have as much talent as a healthy Houston (if there is such a thing).

I'd put SVG as the safest bet, but Mike Woodson (Atlanta) and Byron Scott deserve credit too.

m33p0
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
portland has played and won convincingly against utah and denver without aldridge on the lineup. those are two teams that were supposed to be better than they are. nate has got his boys believing in the system, something all a coach could ever ask for from his players. if the trailblazers reach the playoffs, mcmillan should be a shoe-in.

.... and definitely no to rivers!

Jeremy
12-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Quick, go to http://www.nba.com/ and look at the headline. LOL.

peskypesky
12-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Doc Rivers. Without question...

DieMrBond
12-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Unfortunately, it will probably go to Doc Rivers, even though he is totally undeserving.

I agree, McMillan should get it, or at worst Jerry Sloan (even though, his team hasnt performed all that well - surely he should have one by now!)

m33p0
12-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately, it will probably go to Doc Rivers, even though he is totally undeserving.
I agree, McMillan should get it, or at worst Jerry Sloan (even though, his team hasnt performed all that well - surely he should have one by now!)
there's a list of coaches more deserving than rivers. nate mcmillan, jerry sloan, stan van gundy and byron scott (even phil jackson) all have strong arguments to take the honor. what would rivers' argument be?

Armando
12-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I say it is between McMillan and SVG.

spursRgay
12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
there's a list of coaches more deserving than rivers. nate mcmillan, jerry sloan, stan van gundy and byron scott (even phil jackson) all have strong arguments to take the honor. what would rivers' argument be?

The Rivers argument would be if they finished with the league's best record, but I hope he doesn't get it...if Portland makes it to the playoffs then McMillan should get it after everyone pretty much wrote them off after Oden's injury

Armando
12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
The Rivers argument would be if they finished with the league's best record, but I hope he doesn't get it...if Portland makes it to the playoffs then McMillan should get it after everyone pretty much wrote them off after Oden's injury

McMillan deserves it more then Rivers. With Rivers how much coaching does he really do? I am not trying to put him down but with KG,Ray Allen and The Truth those guys police themselves. The Celtics record is what it should be. Portland was left for dead when Oden went down for the season so their win streak is impressive.

m33p0
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Exactly, which is a poor argument to begin with if the judges use the best record to base their votes on. the celtics is a team that's supposed to win tons of games. the blazers and the hornets aren't supposed to win a lot of games. and yet they are. both teams are young and therefore, the influence of the coach alot more relevant.

spursRgay
12-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Exactly, which is a poor argument to begin with if the judges use the best record to base their votes on. the celtics is a team that's supposed to win tons of games. the blazers and the hornets aren't supposed to win a lot of games. and yet they are. both teams are young and therefore, the influence of the coach alot more relevant.

The coach of the team with the best record is always in the discussion, but I agree with you

Armando
12-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Popovich is a coach I think is overdue for that award.

spursRgay
12-29-2007, 08:53 PM

I was waiting for that comment though I'm surprised it came from a Suns fan...he definitely should be in the discussion

Armando
12-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I was waiting for that comment though I'm surprised it came from a Suns fan...he definitely should be in the discussion

What he does for that team is overlooked by how great Duncan is.

FromWayDowntown
12-29-2007, 09:21 PM

2003 was a long time ago . . . .

2006-07 - Sam Mitchell, Toronto
2005-06 - Avery Johnson, Dallas
2004-05 - Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix
2003-04 - Hubie Brown, Memphis
2002-03 - Gregg Popovich, San Antonio
2001-02 - Rick Carlisle, Detroit
2000-01 - Larry Brown, Philadelphia
1999-00 - Doc Rivers, Orlando

m33p0
12-29-2007, 09:39 PM
well, its because the perception in spursdom right now is that he's ANTI-COACHING so he won't have to go to the all star game.

spursRgay
12-29-2007, 09:42 PM
well, its because the perception in spursdom right now is that he's ANTI-COACHING so he won't have to go to the all star game.

:lol I've heard that but I have a hard time believing it

Armando
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
I also personally think he would have been a better head coach for Team USA then Coach K.