PDA

View Full Version : Marion held his own against Duncan....

Disharmony
12-30-2004, 09:42 PM
.... according to this guy! :lol Quite possibly the funniest case of denial I have ever seen from a homer:

http://www.solar-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1423&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

"So Duncan massacred Marion eh? Post his stats. He went 7/9 but that is hardly destroying anyone. If you saw one of your players in a mismatch, wouldn't you go to him everytime you went down the court? Then why the hell did Duncan get NINE attempts? Five free-throw attempts too. He shot at a good percentage, but it was hardly owning anyone. He did get beaten in the boards, but it was hardly ownage. You see, Phoenix did an average job in denying Duncan the ball. That should've been at least 13 shots if the Spurs had their way. (considering that Duncan sat out most of the last parts of the game)"

"Again, since when did putting up "average" numbers become owning anyone? Hamilton dropping 30+ on Carter was owning, not Duncan dropping 16. "

Solid D
12-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Pretty funny, considering...if you actually watched the game you would have noticed the Suns sent 2 guys to Duncan every time he got the ball. There were a few times the Suns actually sent a 4th guy, leaving 1 defender to cover 4 Spurs. :lol

Phenomanul
12-31-2004, 01:37 AM
This guy/gal also fails to realize that Duncan can own someone simply by knowing how to best play the game.....

First off, Duncan is not a Stat-seeker... he's a winner.

If Duncan didn't take 13 shots, is because that's not what the team needed from him. Instead he matched his season high in assists. 5 blocks (surprisingly this fan also forgot to mention the double block on Marion by Duncan). The result.... Spurs win.

Amare had 37 points, but you could make a point that he didn't own anyone.... his result..... Suns loss.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

SequSpur
12-31-2004, 01:41 AM
Waste of time.

Slomo
12-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Marion held his own against Duncan....

held his own what?

Disharmony
12-31-2004, 08:19 AM
According to him, Marion playing the 4 isn't exactly as bad as most people put out to be because he's a good enough defender to guard the elite power forwards of the West... which is a crock of shit. Duncan being held to 16 points and 9 touches proves this, he says :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
12-31-2004, 08:37 AM
i have to say that although duncan was techincally having a below average scoring night, which has been a trend for a while and i think it is more due to Pop's gameplan than duncan's play, to say him going 7 for 9 is a bad night ranks right uo there with all time stupid statments. Now tell me that marion didnt allow duncan to do much damage on the boards because duncan only got 9 and i would probably have to concur.

kskonn
12-31-2004, 09:31 AM
However Marion was never in a one on one situation with Tim Duncan. Every time duncan touched the ball Marion said help and 2-3 more phoenix defenders dropped down to help. This is what allowed the rest of the spur team to go off for their second higest point total this season. As far as rebounds the spurs were getting a lot of long rebounds using their guards. The suns missed so many rebounds and defensive rotations because of their concern with duncan. I guess having a "mediocre night" with 16,9,6,5 and dismatling the entire suns defense is not owning Marion. When you look at it that way i guess it is more like he owned the entire suns team.

bonesinaz
12-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Duncan didn't have to play the full game b/c it was a blow out. There was a lot of garbage time. That is the reason that he didn't have the stats.

SpursWoman
12-31-2004, 10:41 AM
held his own what?

7 for 9? I'd say:

http://tnight.net/photos/sm/34049.jpg

:lol

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 10:46 AM
maybe that is why Marion had a sorry-ass game. He was "holding his own" :lol

Slomo
12-31-2004, 02:48 PM
7 for 9? I'd say: