PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Trade Game

tav1
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't see the Spurs making a move before deadline, but if they did they would probably move Elson, Barry, and/or Bonner and a draft pick. Assume those as your possible trade chips.

Assume the Spurs would not mess with their cap situation by trading expiring deals for multi-year deals. In other words, you're looking at upcoming free agents, either restricted or unrestricted.

Make the trade plausible for the other team.

Those are the guidelines.

Use ESPN's Trade Machine to come up with their best options, as you see them, and to verify that the trade is possible.

I just toyed with a few ideas, and honestly, I'm not sure there are many deals, given the guidelines, that would excite Pop and Buford, but I'll get the ball rolling:

http://tinyurl.com/3dyomu

The Spurs trade Barry and Elson for Zo Mourning, Smush Parker and Dorell Wright.

Why would the Spurs think about it: it gives them a legitimate #3 pg and an opportunity to have a close look at Dorell Wright, a young, long wing who is starting to emerge. If Wright looks good, they have his restricted rights. If not, he walks. Zo's deal is thrown in for salary reasons. With Udoka, Bonner, Horry, and, to a much lesser extent, Mahinmi, in line the loss of Barry and Elson is not that much to overcome. Their understanding of the system, however, is a lot to give up.

The Heat do this because they still desperately seek a 3 point shooter to replace Kapono and need to fill the void left by Zo's injury.

Not a great trade, I admit. But plausible. The Spurs are probably best suited to play with the roster they've got, however.

PM5K
12-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't see the Spurs trading Bonner...

SenorSpur
12-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Not going to happen. You rarely, if ever, see the Spurs making in-season trades, much less muliple-player trades. Especially the idea of taking on the contract of a injured player, like Mourning, who will be unable to contribute.

If the Spurs weren't confident that the roster they have in place now could successfully defend the title, they would have made more changes in the offseason.

Not going to happen.

debo
12-27-2007, 06:27 PM
with the success we've been having, i doubt the spurs will see reason to make any moves before deadline.

T Park
12-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Why would the Spurs trade for a center whos out for the season, and retired?

No trades are gonna happen.

Why gut the chemistry and soul of a team that won a ring, and honestly, no one has improved enough to put a scare into them to act?

tav1
12-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree with everyone that a trade is highly unlikely, if not completely off the Spurs' radar. That's not the point of this little game, however. The point is to ask, if the Spurs did make a trade, what might it look like, within reason? The one I suggested is not totally laughable, like the flurry of Ron Artest suggestions. It's not glamorous, but it is plausible.

Barry and Elson are valuable, but they would hardly gut the chemistry or soul of the team. And Mourning needed to be included to make the salaries work, beyond that he is worthless to both the Heat and Spurs. I was essentially suggesting a Parker/Wright, Barry/Elson swap.

One of the insightful things about doing an excercise like this is that you see that the Spurs couldn't do much to improve their team. Their best squad is probably the one they have.

Casey
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't see the Spurs making a deal either. Last year, everyone was begging for something to happen near the deadline when the team was "struggling". They stood pat, excpet for bringing in Ely, who was basically a non factor anyway, and won a championship.
The Spurs rarely make in season trades and I'm glad they don't...you don't want to mess with chemistry, also these guys know each other and are comfortable with each other. You never know what will happen when you bring a new guy into the locker room mid season.

Dirk's_Butt_Hurts
12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
I heard Pop is interested in Dirk. To make this happen it will have to be:

Duncan
Ginobli
Parker
1st round draft pick 08
1st round draft pick 09

for Dirk

And even then its lopsided for the spurs.

Darkwaters
12-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I heard Pop is interested in Dirk. To make this happen it will have to be:

Duncan
Ginobli
Parker
1st round draft pick 08
1st round draft pick 09

for Dirk

And even then its lopsided for the spurs.

Oh, you pwned me. I guess you win.

Dirk's_Butt_Hurts
12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh, you pwned me. I guess you win.

Of course I pwned you, you're a Spurs fan.