PDA

View Full Version : Devin Brown....

LaMarcus Bryant
12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
This kid always played the Mavs well when they went smallball.

Now he's helped the Cavs own that crap smallball lineup.

Devin Brown:

Underground Spurs Legend or Overhyped liked Speedy?

RC's Boss
12-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't live in S.A., so i don't know the scoop about his practice habits. Someone would have to bring me up to speed. But on the court, I always liked his play. Not as good on defense as Bruce, but a better rebounder (I think), and not as good as SJax on offense, but not insane on the court either (although I wish we still had SJax).

whottt
12-27-2007, 11:33 PM
He's overhyped except when it comes to the Mavs...he just has a knack for defending Dirk. I was never that enamored with his offense...seems like it hurt the rest of the team offensively when he was on the court...but defensively he was an asset against certain types of player....in particular Dirk. I think he also had value in our small ball lineup...

I didn't see the game tonight but I just know he defended Dirk really well when he played for us...who knows...he might have been able to make the difference in 06.

I guess the best comparison to him on our current roster is Udoka...he was better than Udoka has been up to this point, but I think by the time it's said and done Udoka will prove to be the better fit.

He's not here anymore because he had some issues with Pop...Pop coached him from the time he was a little kid but when asked about Devin on his show a couple of years ago, Pop said he wouldn't be a Spur again. Make of that what you will...

T Park
12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Devin Brown is a good player.

Is he a SPURS player? No, his practice habits don't allow for that.

Would he have made the difference in 06?

No question.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
He chickened out at a karaoke bar.

I can't let that go.

RC's Boss
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
I guess the best comparison to him on our current roster is Udoka...he was better than Udoka has been up to this point, but I think by the time it's said and done Udoka will prove to be the better fit.

I think Udoka will be a better shooter.

Holt's Cat
12-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Brown was a Lux Tax casualty. Naturally he turned into a loafing disinterested player who wasn't about winning when it was time to save Holt a couple dimes.

T Park
12-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Naturally he turned into a loafing disinterested player who wasn't about winning when it was time to save Holt a couple dimes

So all the stories about him missing practices are lies?

Amazing....

whottt

I don't know...Devin's shooting was pretty good. I'm not sure how he's shooting now, but his shooting might have been the best part of his offensive game.

T Park

Udoka is a better overall player.

hes also more of a professional as well.

Holt's Cat
12-28-2007, 12:02 AM
How many practices did he miss, actually?

T Park
12-28-2007, 12:03 AM

No idea.

But more than 1 is inexcusable.

whottt
12-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Maybe Pop just didn't want to coach a player he was close too....

He doesn't like former players as assitant coaches really(that played with a lot of guys on the current roster)...

Maybe it's just something like that...he couldn't bust Devin's butt like he could other players because he'd known him for so long...knew his parents all that kind of stuff.

I have a hard time believe that showing up late for practice would be why Pop said he wouldn't be here again, had to be another reason. And I don't think the Spurs wanted to take his character down either. I don't think Pop would do that to someone he'd known since they were a kid.

timvp
12-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Brown could have been a nice player with the Spurs. He's similar to Udoka but I'd give Brown the edge in ballhandling, rebounding and passing. Udoka has the edge in dedication to defense and professionalism.

They are probably about equal in shooting, toughness and strength. However, when on the Spurs, Udoka's two superior traits are big pluses in Pop's eyes.

Thinking about it more, their injury concerns are probably also a wash. Brown has that back injury while Udoka has torn his ACL twice. Udoka is a bit taller but I'd say Brown is more athletic.

It's pretty close between the two but I think Udoka's edge in professionalism is the deal breaker when it comes to the Spurs. Udoka has played everywhere in the world and had to scratch and claw his way into the league. Brown basically just was able to stay in San Antonio his whole life and make the NBA due to his natural talents. That's the reason why Udoka is probably more thankful, appreciative and thus more professional than Brown.

T Park
12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I have a hard time believe that showing up late for practice would be why Pop said he wouldn't be here again, had to be another reason. And I don't think the Spurs were to take his character down either. I don't think Pop would do that to someone he'd known since they were a kid.

Wich is why, when it comes out his attitude wasn't the best, and Pop wasn't there to squash that, makes you wonder.

T Park
12-28-2007, 12:07 AM
It's pretty close between the two but I think Udoka's edge in professionalism is the deal breaker when it comes to the Spurs. Udoka has played everywhere in the world and had to scratch and claw his way into the league. Brown basically just was able to stay in San Antonio his whole life and make the NBA due to his natural talents. That's the reason why Udoka is probably more thankful, appreciative and thus more professional than Brown.
\

Agreed 1000%.

Honestly I would like to have both going into next year.

Will it happen? Very doubtfull, but it would fill the team out perfectly.

timvp
12-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I have a hard time believe that showing up late for practice would be why Pop said he wouldn't be here again, had to be another reason. Pop has said that Brown would never reach his potential in San Antonio due to the distractions. Brown even admitted that playing for the Spurs was just like playing for UTSA. Nothing had changed for him other than where to show up for the games.

Brown isn't good enough to just kick back and be a good NBA player. Pop basically had to kick him out of the nest to let him make it on his own.

Brown was good last year but has struggled this year. He's playing better and I expect him to be a pretty big part of the Cavs' playoff run.

Oh and seeing how he ended up on Spurs East, whatever Brown did wrong in San Antonio couldn't have be too bad. The same people who brought him to San Antonio ended up bringing him to Cleveland.

whottt
12-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Udoka has the edge in dedication to defense and professionalism.

They are probably about equal in shooting, toughness and strength. However, when on the Spurs, Udoka's two superior traits are big pluses in Pop's eyes.

:tu I gotta say though...Udoka's interior defense has looked liked the best part of either of their games. He just looks mean out there...I have no problems believing that story I read about him. He's got the same edge as Bruce...just tough....but as an interior defender.

:lmao It's cool that Bruce and Ime both know martial arts...

Somebody needs to come up with a nickname for that :smokin

T Park
12-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I personally hope Ime gets a shot at guarding Dirk next time around vs Dallas.

If Ime could hanle Dirk, that would allow Bowen to shift to Howard, Parker to Harris, Ginobili to Terry.

IMO, they beat the mavericks in a 7 game series with Ime playing the way he is right now.

whottt
12-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Oh and seeing how he ended up on Spurs East, whatever Brown did wrong in San Antonio couldn't have be too bad. The same people who brought him to San Antonio ended up bringing him to Cleveland.

Probably right...it had to be something personal like that more than Devin was just a bad kid or something. Because you can tell he isn't. Devin might even agree with that he was better off away from SA. He seems to have stopped whatever he was doing, because it looks like he's found a home on the Cavs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2007, 12:44 AM
I personally hope Ime gets a shot at guarding Dirk next time around vs Dallas.

If Ime could hanle Dirk, that would allow Bowen to shift to Howard, Parker to Harris, Ginobili to Terry.

IMO, they beat the mavericks in a 7 game series with Ime playing the way he is right now.
:tu :tu :tu

SequSpur
12-28-2007, 12:45 AM
devin brown didn't do shit wrong. Pop is just a cunt.

T Park
12-28-2007, 12:46 AM
devin brown didn't do shit wrong. Pop is just a cunt.

I'll take the cunt who helps win us rings every other year thanks.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Ime knows martial arts wtf

SequSpur
12-28-2007, 01:07 AM
I'll take the cunt who helps win us rings every other year thanks.

oh yeah.. rings, hall of fame coach, good motivator, but still a cunt.

He would rather have dipshits like Vaughn, Elson and Bonner than true contributors on a championship team.

violentkitten
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM
sure, it'd be nice if a combo of udoka and bowen at the 3 and 4 was the answer, but i think the rebounding would be too light and udoka needs more time. plus you'd have to play the big 3 with those 2 otherwise the offense might not flow that well.

T Park
12-28-2007, 01:44 AM

Yeah why have a hall of fame coach.

BonnerDynasty
12-28-2007, 09:15 AM

He would rather have dipshits like Vaughn, Elson and Bonner than true contributors on a championship team.

http://www.movv.com/prvupload/uploads/super_retard_stfu.jpg

ancestron
12-28-2007, 09:30 AM

come on man we're talking about practice. We ain't even talkin bout the game. We're talkin bout practice man, I mean, practice man! We ain't even talkin about the game. Not the game. What are we talkin about? We're talkin about practice, man.

MoSpur
12-28-2007, 09:52 AM
I think Devin Brown will be more important to the Cavs than Hughes when it comes to the playoffs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Ime knows martial arts wtf
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83077

Read that and your respect for him will triple.

SenorSpur
12-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Udoka will soon prove that he is one of the superior defenders on this team. I've seen enough of him, both this season and in Portland, to make the bold claim that he's already the 2nd best rebounder on the team. The kid simply has a nose and a desire for going to and getting the ball.

howbouthemspurs
12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Devin Brown is awesome!

wildbill2u
12-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Teams have problems with players who refuse to abide by the rules everyone else has to work under--or take a casual attitude toward practice.

It sends a message that the player thinks he's already too good to put in any more work--or maybe he's spending too much time in the cocaine bars with his buddies.

Even Iverson was a distraction to his teams over his disdain for practice. A role player with that attitude burns the other players who work their asses off and pisses off the coaches.