PDA

View Full Version : Slovenia taking over EU presidency with Kosovo's fate at top of agenda

ploto
12-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I was hoping to get some perspective on how this may all play out from the Slovenians here.

Tiny Slovenia becomes the first of the 12 EU newcomers to take over the bloc's rotating presidency on Jan. 1, a big psychological boost to a nation that gained independence from the ruins of the former Yugoslavia only 16 years ago.

But along with the prestige comes the daunting responsibility of overseeing a common EU policy as Kosovo prepares to declare independence from Serbia just weeks after Slovenia begins its six-month stint at the helm...

The United States and several EU states have said they would recognize Kosovo's independence because it has not been under Serbia's control since 1999, when NATO intervened to stop former Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic's military crackdown against the separatists.

Serbia, backed by Russia, insists Kosovo — considered the cradle of Serbia's medieval state and religion — should remain part of its territory, and has urged more negotiations with Kosovo Albanians.

On Wednesday, Serbia's parliament overwhelmingly adopted a resolution that threatens to halt the country's integration into the European Union and cut off diplomatic ties with Western countries if they recognize Kosovo's independence...

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/12/28/europe/EU-GEN-Slovenia-EU-Presidency.php#end_main

Extra Stout
12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Is your ancestry Slovenian?

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Tiny Slovenia becomes the first of the 12 EU newcomers to take over the bloc's rotating presidency on Jan. 1, a big psychological boost to a nation that gained independence from the ruins of the former Yugoslavia only 16 years ago.

That's awesome. :)

mrsmaalox
12-28-2007, 11:48 AM
What exactly do Serbia and Russia mean by "negotiations" with Kosovo Albanians? Doesn't sound good to me! Slovenia is an excellent example of successful, prosperous independence and all other Balkan states would be better off following their lead.

Extra Stout
12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
What exactly do Serbia and Russia mean by "negotiations" with Kosovo Albanians? Doesn't sound good to me! Slovenia is an excellent example of successful, prosperous independence and all other Balkan states would be better off following their lead.
The Serbs want to keep the territory as part of Serbia, even if only nominally for now. I take it as a form of irredentism. Orthodox Christians aren't keen on ceding territory to Muslims, for certain historical reasons.

mrsmaalox
12-28-2007, 12:38 PM
The Serbs want to keep the territory as part of Serbia, even if only nominally for now. I take it as a form of irredentism. Orthodox Christians aren't keen on ceding territory to Muslims, for certain historical reasons.

I'm clear on all that stuff; I'm just suspicious of their use of the term "negotiation"!! :lol

ploto
12-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Is your ancestry Slovenian?
1/8-- as in 1 of my 8 great grandparents

whottt
12-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Well that's kind of cool. Slovenians seem pretty cool to me...hopefully they'll do a better job than some of the other countries have done. Good luck to them on their Presidency :tu