PDA

View Full Version : Raptors-Spurs Preview

duncan228
12-28-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20071228/TORSAS/preview.html?nav=scoreboardhome

Raptors-Spurs Preview
By Kate Hedlin, STATS Writer

The San Antonio Spurs have done their best at getting by despite several injuries. A stretch of games against struggling teams has helped.

The Spurs look to continue taking advantage of a soft stretch in the schedule on Friday night when they look to extend their dominance over the Toronto Raptors.

Toronto (15-14) is the first team among San Antonio's last four opponents with a winning record after matchups against Chicago , the Los Angeles Clippers and Memphis. The Spurs are 2-1 against those teams, and will try to hand the Raptors their fourth loss in a row.

San Antonio also has win six straight at home over the Raptors by an average of just over 10 points.

The Spurs (20-7) are coming off a 94-79 win over the Bulls on Wednesday behind a game-high 28 points from Tony Parker. Tim Duncan was held to just eight points - more than 10 points below his season average - but also had 11 rebounds and six assists.

Despite Duncan's struggles, San Antonio led by double digits for almost the entire second half, and by as many as 25.

"It was a good win tonight," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I thought we were very focused."

Parker's outburst came in his second game back after missing four with a sprained left ankle. He's averaging a career-high 20.3 points this season, but just 15.7 in six career home games against Toronto.

"Lately I am just trying to create offense for myself and making the most out of the opportunities that present themselves," Parker said.

The Spurs were without Manu Ginobili, due to a sprained left index finger suffered Saturday in a win over the Clippers. He's San Antonio's second-leading scorer with 19.2 points per games, but his status for this game is unknown. Brent Barry, the Spurs' second-leading 3-point shooter at 45.3 percent (39-of-86), will miss the next two weeks with a torn right calf muscle suffered Wednesday.

"Manu and Brent are huge offensive weapons off the bench," said Matt Bonner, who scored 12 points against the Bulls. "So I wouldn't say it adds pressure on us but it definitely makes things easier if other guys off the bench can come in and provide a lift on offense."

Toronto fell to 1-3 on its season-high seven-game road trip after falling 122-103 to Phoenix on Saturday. Chris Bosh finished a career-high 42 points, going 22-of-24 from the free throw line. He also had 13 rebounds.

"The free-throw line is my friend," Bosh said, "so I just always try to be aggressive, always try to attack the basket and get those easy points."

Bosh, who's averaging 20.4 points this season, has managed just 13.5 in four career games in San Antonio.

The Raptors haven't won in San Antonio since Jan. 17, 2001.

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Holla!

It's today! :D

duncan228
12-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I thought of you Angel.
You must be so excited.
Are you going to be at the game?

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I thought of you Angel.
You must be so excited.
Are you going to be at the game?

I am excited!

I will be at work in the restaurant for this game instead of attending in the arena.
But I am definitely going to stay in the Terrace Club and watch the entire game.
I will be finished my work by half time so will get to watch the entire second half. :)

duncan228
12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I am excited!

I will be at work in the restaurant for this game instead of attending in the arena.
But I am definitely going to stay in the Terrace Club and watch the entire game.
I will be finished my work by half time so will get to watch the entire second half. :)

Have fun Angel.
I hope Rasho has a good game for you, as long as the Spurs win.
There's a nice pic of Rasho and Duncan on the front page of the Raptor's NBA.com home.

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Have fun Angel.
I hope Rasho has a good game for you, as long as the Spurs win.
There's a nice pic of Rasho and Duncan on the front page of the Raptor's NBA.com home.

Thanks!

Everyone better cheer really nicely for Sho. I made sure not to boo Avery at his ceremony ( just Cuban and the Mavericks) so karma would not take it out on Sho.

I love the rare games like this where no matter what happens, I will go home happy.

I'll go look at the pic. :)

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/

Awwwww! That is cute! :)

duncan228
12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2007/12/28/raptors-spurs.html

Raptors take on the NBA champs

Facing the reigning NBA champions is challenging enough.

Facing the San Antonio Spurs in their backyard is even more daunting — especially if you're the Toronto Raptors.

Toronto will try to win its first game in San Antonio in almost seven years when they take on the Spurs on Friday night.

The Raptors, who sport a 15-14 record this season, haven't won in San Antonio since Jan. 17, 2001 and have lost six straight road games to the Spurs by an average of just over 10 points.

And if that isn't bad enough, the Spurs (20-7) are coming off a 94-79 win over the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday, as Tony Parker scored a game-high 28 points.

"It was a good win," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after beating the Bulls. "I thought we were very focused."

The Spurs were missing Argentine star Manu Ginobili, the club's second-leading scorer, with a sprained left index finger. His status for Friday's game is unknown.

Brent Barry, the Spurs' second-leading three-point shooter, will miss the next two weeks with a torn right calf muscle.

"Manu and Brent are huge offensive weapons off the bench," said Spurs forward Matt Bonner, who played two seasons with the Raptors from 2004 to 2006.

"So I wouldn't say it adds pressure on us but it definitely makes things easier if other guys off the bench can come in and provide a lift on offence."

Toronto fell to 1-3 on its season-high seven-game road trip after losing 122-103 to Phoenix on Saturday. Chris Bosh finished with a career-high 42 points — including 22 of 24 from the free-throw line — and had 13 rebounds.

"The free-throw line is my friend," Bosh said, "so I just always try to be aggressive, always try to attack the basket and get those easy points."

Bosh is averaging 20.4 points a game this season, but hasn't had a great deal of success against the Spurs — Bosh has averaged just 13.5 points in four career games in San Antonio.

Toronto visits the Houston Rockets on Saturday night before wrapping up its seven-game road trip on Dec. 31 against the New Orleans Hornets.

The Raptors return home to host the Detroit Pistons on Jan. 4 and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Jan. 6.

ata
12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
It will be easy win for Spurs.
Sam Mitchell lately starts Bargnani over Rasho, after he accused Rasho and Moon for "poor defence". I don't exepect to see much Rasho on the floor. 20+ for Spurs, and 2-13 from Bargnani

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Ploto- if you get to see Sho at the game, please tell him hi for me. :)

Or rather: Zivjo & prijeten dan. :)

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Raptors.com sent me the Sho & Timmy pic via e-mail. :)

http://i8.tinypic.com/8g8ugs4.jpg

lefty
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Raptors.com sent me the Sho & Timmy pic via e-mail. :)

How did they know ? :lol

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
How did they know ? :lol

If only they had sent me a courtside ticket as well. :)

Oh, better yet, a press pass. :)

SAGambler
12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
And if that isn't bad enough, the Spurs (20-7) are coming off a 94-79 win over the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday, as Tony Parker scored a game-high 28 points.

"It was a good win," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after beating the Bulls. "I thought we were very focused."

Well, except for the final 3 minutes of the 2nd quarter where we let them get back in the game before halftime.

ploto
12-28-2007, 03:10 PM
That picture was taken before the game last year in San Antonio.

A few highlights of that night--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgU1mDy_FAA

My honest opinion of tonight's match-up. The Raptors seemingly have decided to go with the development of the younger players at the expense of possible victories.

They will not make Bargnani cover Tim and so Bosh will be forced to carry that load.

Jose Calderon puts up great stats and does not make mistakes, but he is going to have a terrible time trying to stay in front of Tony.

Moon will make at least one amazingly athletic play that will make people wonder why it took him so long to get to the NBA.

Delfino is playing well off the bench, especially defensively.

People claimed Jason could not shoot that high % again without Shaq but he is actually shooting even higher from the 3 point line than last season. I do not think he gets enough touches.

Humphries is a good energy big man off the bench when he remembers his role to defend- hustle- rebound- and get garbage points. Sometimes he forgets and turns into a black hole on offense.

Rasho-- he is playing well this season. Those who look at box scores may not realize the value he has had to this team. They are 10-7 with him in the starting line up and 5-7 without. They give up 6 more points per 100 possessions without him on the court. The timing of the line-up change seems rather odd with the Raptors getting ready to face SA and Houston- 2 teams you would want to start Rasho against, but last week the Raptors played Seattle and Portland on back-to-back nights, and I think seeing guys like Roy and Durant shine while Bargnani has sucked motivated this move.

The best chance the Raptors have tonight is for Kapono to get a lot of shots and for Andrea to pull his head out. The Raptors will attempt to outscore the Spurs. The other hope is that with the Spurs kind of short handed on the perimeter that the Raptor perimeter guys get hot. They are the highest % 3 point shooting team in the league, but also the second worst at defending the 3 point line.

Spurs by double digits. Rasho won't play much with a game in Houston tomorrow night.

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I am excited to see Delfino and Kapano since they are new additions since I greeted the team last year.

No Uros this year- is the only disappointment.

spurschick
12-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Everyone better cheer really nicely for Sho.

I'm sure he'll get a warm reception. Most ex-Spurs do when they're announced onto the court. I think the only ones I've ever heard boos for are those who have really bad-mouthed the team after they've left.

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm sure he'll get a warm reception. Most ex-Spurs do when they're announced onto the court. I think the only ones I've ever heard boos for are those who have really bad-mouthed the team after they've left.

True. :)

timvp
12-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Everyone better cheer really nicely for Sho.Is Rasho even going to play? I noticed that with Bustnani starting last game, Rasho got a DNP-CD.

It appears as if Mitchell has orders to play Bustnani no matter what.

duncan228
12-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Rasho better play or Angel is going to throw a fit!

angel_luv
12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Is Rasho even going to play? I noticed that with Bustnani starting last game, Rasho got a DNP-CD.

Please don't pick on A.B. :(

Mitchell will probably play Sho a little bit since this is a home coming for him.

That is my hope anyway.

Rasho better play or Angel is going to throw a fit!

If Sho is going to be sat for a game versus the Spurs, then at least it is this one which I didn't buy a courtside ticket to go to.

Last year's game was just perfect. Sho had a kick tail game and I got to talk to him and Uros before and afterwards.
Awesomeness! :)

ploto
12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Is Rasho even going to play? I noticed that with Bustnani starting last game, Rasho got a DNP-CD.

Rasho will play tonight- not sure how much.

timvp
12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Rasho will play tonight- not sure how much.I noticed you didn't have a problem with the "Bustnani" nickname this year.

:stirpot:

ShoogarBear
12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
spurschick is in Dynasty League 1?

ata
12-28-2007, 04:10 PM

Same as at the beginning of the season. It took five games until Michell realised, that Bargnani in starting five means no D. He almost didn't play Rasho against Orlando (4 min) , even though Rasho limited Howard pretty well last season.

Mitchell started to force Bargnani, he even said something like "There are some things, which can be learnt while playing only!" I always thougt, that primary goal in NBA is winning games, not develop some player on costs of team performance.

Italian connection?

ploto
12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
I noticed you didn't have a problem with the "Bustnani" nickname this year.

:stirpot:
Last week I had to watch Brandon Roy play against Toronto; enough said.

Andrea-- he is actually a decent one on one defender, but an awful help defender. He makes Rasho look like a rebounding monster! When he isn't shooting well, he floats around on offense. He will definitely fake and travel once each game. He has been majorly outplayed by Rasho this season, and yes, I will say it, that is quite the insult for a #1 pick. I am not ready to call him a bust, but I just do not see him ever becoming a center. More and more Bosh is having to carry the load so they can play Andrea those minutes. The whole point of getting Rasho was to avoid that for Bosh.

The actual disappointment for me has been the stream of excuses coming from management that make it appear that Andrea is being majorly coddled.

resistanze
12-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Bargnani is gonna get manhandled in the 1st quarter and will be sparingly featured for the rest of the game. Well, that's my hope...

ploto
12-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Bargnani is gonna get manhandled in the 1st quarter and will be sparingly featured for the rest of the game. Well, that's my hope...
I think Andrea will play 30 minutes every game no matter how bad he plays, unless he is in foul trouble.

spurschick
12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
spurschick is in Dynasty League 1?

Nope - I'm in DL-2.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-28-2007, 05:22 PM
ROFL - Bustnani

duncan228
12-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Love Rasho's pointers for guarding Duncan at the end of the column! :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071228.WBwbbasketball20071228133543/WBStory/WBwbbasketball

Bosh readies for Duncan
M. Sekeres

SAN ANTONIO— The Toronto Raptors’ decision to start Andrea Bargnani and send Rasho Nesterovic to the bench comes at an interesting time. Phase Two of this experiment – the Raptors began the season that way – started in Phoenix last week, and will continue tonight in San Antonio against the defending NBA champion Spurs.

Nesterovic played for the Spurs and is very familiar with all-everything forward Tim Duncan. He also might have a little more determination playing the team that considered him expendable.

Bargnani’s defensive deficiencies mean Chris Bosh will probably guard Duncan from the outset, and head coach Sam Mitchell said Nesterovic will certainly play. But Bargnani could find himself matched up with Duncan – a scary thought for the Raptors and their fans.

This morning at shoot-around, I asked Bosh about the particular challenges of guarding Duncan. Here’s a transcript of the exchange:

What are the keys to guarding Tim Duncan?

Bosh: “I think the best thing you can hope to do is try to make him catch it a lot further from the basket. I mean, he is so big and strong, and he is so fundamentally sound, it’s hard to guard his moves. You just have to push him off the block as best as you can and rely on your teammates for help.”

What happens when he catches it too low for your liking? What’s the strategy then?

Bosh: “Contest the shot as best as possible. I mean, that’s what he does. He is so used to banging and getting his shot off that it’s hard for a defender. If he turns around and shoots a hook, I guess all you can do is just be there. You’re not going to block it too many times. So, just stay between him and the basket.”

How far out do you leave him and when do you have to be up in his face?

Bosh: “I’d say from 15-feet in, you have to be up on him. But I think past 15-feet, he takes his time more. He’ll hesitate more and that can work to your advantage.”

Incidentally, when Nesterovic was asked whether he passed along any guarding-Duncan pointers to Bargnani, he said: “He has to learn that. I still haven’t figured it out.”

timvp
12-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Last week I had to watch Brandon Roy play against Toronto; enough said.

Andrea-- he is actually a decent one on one defender, but an awful help defender. He makes Rasho look like a rebounding monster! When he isn't shooting well, he floats around on offense. He will definitely fake and travel once each game. He has been majorly outplayed by Rasho this season, and yes, I will say it, that is quite the insult for a #1 pick. I am not ready to call him a bustNo offense but that sounds like a bust to me.

, but I just do not see him ever becoming a center. Didn't you bash the timvp for saying Bustnani would never play center? I'm pretty sure it was you.

Let me search ......

Ah yes it was. :smokin

That article is crazy to call Bargnani a future center.

The Raptors have made it VERY CLEAR that Andrea will be a center. It is you who is not up on their plans.

There's another thread I remember where you were even madder for timvp having the gall to say Bustnani couldn't play center. I'll let you know if I find it :)

More and more Bosh is having to carry the load so they can play Andrea those minutes. The whole point of getting Rasho was to avoid that for Bosh.

The actual disappointment for me has been the stream of excuses coming from management that make it appear that Andrea is being majorly coddled.Yeah, Bustnani is just lucky he plays in Toronto where the fans aren't savvy enough to see what is happening. Bustnani doesn't even try when he's coming off the bench because he knows that the result will be that he'll be put back into the starting lineup. There's no way the Raptors will give Bustnani a string of DNP-CD's so the only way Bustnani doesn't become the starter is if he plays well off the bench ... which he made sure wasn't going to happen.

Anyways, in terms of winning regular season games Rasho >>>>>>>> Bustnani. Bustnani is a player who could score 30 against the Spurs tonight but then go two weeks before having another good game. Rasho will bring it every night and has always been a good regular season player. Compared to Bustnani, Rasho could help the Raptors win 5 to 7 additional games.

I think Mitchell's hands are tied in this situation. He tried to give Bustnani tough love but all it did was make Bustnani suck even more. Management has too much invested in Bustnani to let him rot away on the bench so I'm sure they prodded Mitchell into giving him the starting job. Bosh is a perimeter power forward and Bustnani is basically just a giant shooting guard. Without Rasho in the starting lineup, the closest thing they have to a center is Jamario Moon.

resistanze
12-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Stop dissing Bargnani....We could've ended up with Roy...

or Gay...
or Aldridge...

resistanze
12-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Anyways, I'm going out tonight, so I'll just predict the score now.

Raps 87
Spurs 99

Bargnani with 8. Prove me wrong you bust, prove me wrong!

ploto
12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Didn't you bash the timvp for saying Bustnani would never play center? I'm pretty sure it was you.
All I said was that the Raptors said Bargnani will be their center- and they still say that. They still insist that he is their starting center for the long term.

I know you like to insult the Toronto fans but believe me there are many who do not like Andrea and do not like management making excuses for him.

timvp
12-29-2007, 01:43 AM

Rasho will play tonight- not sure how much.I would put a ":smokin" or maybe a ":hat" but I too was hoping Rasho would play. It's always good to see a former Spur get an applause.

Although you probably should have held off on the bolding. :)

All I said was that the Raptors said Bargnani will be their center- and they still say that. They still insist that he is their starting center for the long term.There's some other thread where I said Bargnani was incapable of playing center and you said something like "He's 7-foot, 250 of course he can play center".

T Park
12-29-2007, 01:45 AM
I know you like to insult the Toronto fans

god call the wahbulance.

ploto
12-29-2007, 01:50 AM
I would put a ":smokin" or maybe a ":hat" but I too was hoping Rasho would play. It's always good to see a former Spur get an applause.

Although you probably should have held off on the bolding. :)

Sam said he would play. Oh, well.