PDA

View Full Version : Why all these injuries, really?

mando6599
12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Did the Spurs get any new trainers this year? I'm only asking because there seem to be a lot of injuries to the Spurs already this year, and some that could have been prevented with more rest, IMO. Take for example the latest injury in Barry. He had been talking about his calf feeling sore. "Barry had been complaining of soreness in the calf for several days, but said before the game Wednesday he felt well enough to play.", from today's article on mysa.com. I know they listen to their players, but someone needs to step in and say, "Just sit it out now", before it escalates.

Next point is Manu. Yes he's a competitor and wants to play. But don't play him, Pop, if he's tired and his index finger still has not fully healed, especially the finger of his shooting hand.

Now TD's and Cisco's injuries are just seemingly unlucky. But Parker? Parker was said to have tweaked the same ankle he sprained in the summer while playing in Minnesota several weeks back. Well, Pop and the trainers, still played him on that bad ankle when it wasn't fully healed yet. Why not sit him out for a longer period of time so as not to aggravate it and to let it heal?

I think we're due for some healthy months ahead, but it just seems to me that some of these injuries could have been helped with benching those players and letting them heal. My 2 cents, anyway.

Mr. Body
12-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Age. Wear and Tear. Bad luck.

caŽlo
12-29-2007, 06:02 AM
dude, if you think we're plagued with the injury bug.. check out the la clippers

m33p0
12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
dude, if you think we're plagued with the injury bug.. check out the la clippers
:tu
count our blessings that none of the guys have season ending injuries.

KidCongo
12-29-2007, 08:31 AM
maybe u should tank rest of year so everyone has a longer than usual break.

Kibic
12-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Because players play for their national teams during summer offseason. :lol

Hemotivo
12-29-2007, 08:38 AM
:lol

Rummpd
12-29-2007, 09:34 AM
As a doc it is not so much to worry about as long as healthy last 10 games or so going into playoffs. None of these injuries are anything out of the realm of probability for players playing a physical and intense game for months on end.

Budkin
12-29-2007, 11:25 AM
:tu
count our blessings that none of the guys have season ending injuries.

I'm still so relieved that Timmy's injury didn't end his season. When I saw him go down I was freaking out that it would.

peskypesky
12-29-2007, 12:49 PM

or the Denver Nuggets.

cherylsteele
12-29-2007, 12:59 PM
The Spurs have been relatively lucky regarding injuries the past few years.
Compared to other teams like the Clippers, Nuggets, Wizards, and others the Spurs problems are practically nothing. Lack of injuries in the past several years are a big part of the reason the Spurs are contenders year in and year out.

exstatic
12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Pop is also holding players out who could play just to test combos and keep everyone on their toes during the early boring part of the year.

Tek_XX
12-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Manu hurting his finger has nothing to do with trainers. Injuries are going to happen, sometimes teams get lucky and nothing happens and sometimes the season is plagued with injuries.

whottt
12-29-2007, 03:25 PM
We always seem have injury filled years after winning a championship....

That's about 70% of the reason the Spurs haven't repeated yet.

Gotta realize the Spurs played about a hundred games last season.

And then some of them went and played National Team Ball.

bigfundamental21
12-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Not just wear and tear, with extended seasons, but we have a lot of players that are up there in age and injuries are bound to happen with them. We should just be glad that we have not had any season ending or serious injuries.

SouthernFried
12-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I'd be interested to find out about their training regiments.

Lack of energy and sluggishness usually lead to injuries. A lot of the time, that initial sluggishness can be attributed to diet and training (or lack thereof). The training room is where you find out if Barry's calf is playable, or Parkers ankle is good to go. It's also where you pump some energy into them.

And the older you get, Training becomes exponentially more important. You have to train twice as hard at 30, than you do at 20...just to maintain your same physical and energy levels.

mando6599
12-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I'd be interested to find out about their training regiments.

Lack of energy and sluggishness usually lead to injuries. A lot of the time, that initial sluggishness can be attributed to diet and training (or lack thereof). The training room is where you find out if Barry's calf is playable, or Parkers ankle is good to go. It's also where you pump some energy into them.

And the older you get, Training becomes exponentially more important. You have to train twice as hard at 30, than you do at 20...just to maintain your same physical and energy levels.

Exactly what I was getting at, but said better than I did.