PDA

View Full Version : anyone just feel like...

batman2883
12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
getting up and just leaving the city maybe even the state and just starting over in another state??? New job, new friends, new life???

JoeChalupa
12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a Bigzak moment to me.

batman2883
12-28-2007, 04:27 PM
i know it does but seriously i just know there is so much more out there than this city and state i just wanna explore it all.......

stretch
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I have before. I'm glad I didn't now.

batman2883
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I have before. I'm glad I didn't now.
why are you glad?

PakiDan
12-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Batman, I know exactly what you mean. Lately I've had the biggest urge to pack up and move to Alaska. Just go.... start fresh, and the scary thing is, I think I might just do it.

Melmart1
12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Been there, done that. Might do it again, who knows.

ChumpDumper
12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
It's slightly overrated, but worth doing at least once.

midgetonadonkey
12-28-2007, 04:36 PM
nope

stretch
12-28-2007, 04:45 PM
why are you glad?
Because things changed for the better.

spurschick
12-28-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd actually like to take it a step further and explore living in another country.

atxrocker
12-28-2007, 04:55 PM
from time to time. starting fresh, new slate, new places, new faces, friends, jobs... has always had a certain appeal to me. would love to try boston, denver or portland for starters.

thispego
12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
as soon as I save up a little bit of scratch i'll being doing just this. very possibly in a different country. But not to get away from anyone or anything or to start new.

E20
12-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't do this, but I would travel/backpack to different countries to see the world, I'm not talking about being a tourist and going to Paris/Rome/London, where it would be basically the same, I'm talking about countries like Japan, CHina, Indonesia, India, Thailand, Pakistan, the other stans, etc....

JoeChalupa
12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I did all my wild and crazy stuff in my younger days but I still get the itch to do things and since age is just a number....I still plan on doing them. Like going down the Colorado river and going to Africa and other countries.

atxrocker
12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
seriously, i've always considered myself an independant and social person. i'm sure people think about this sometimes, but i think i fancy the idea more often than most. starting new in a place where i don't know anyone and nobody knows me. breaking old routines to start new ones. learning new culture, smells, sights. i love austin, but i am sure that i will be leaving in the near future to experience something new. and i agree with pego, i wouldn't be going necissarily to "get away from" a particular person or thing, but rather to experience completely new things and broaden my horizons.

KEDA
12-28-2007, 06:43 PM
yes, I have always wanted to move to Montana, dont know why, I just do.

j-6
12-28-2007, 06:50 PM
It's slightly overrated, but worth doing at least once.

I agree. When I did it, it was a life-changing experience and I learned a lot about myself. Looking back, I'm glad I did but it wasn't nearly the big deal I though it was back then.

Denver's cool, atxrocker. But I like Austin a lot better.

Holt's Cat
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Might as well do it instead of regretting not doing it later.

Kori Ellis
12-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Maybe you just need a long vacation rather than a new job/friends/life. A couple weeks or a month away might do you some good.

timvp and I are actually considering moving away from San Antonio for a year.

duncan228
12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I've done it several times.
By choice when I was younger, because of jobs the last few.

There's a lot to be said for it. New experiences, new ways of looking at things.
I know people who have lived their whole life within 10 miles of where they were born, I think they're missing out on something.
Traveling for vacations offers a lot, actually moving and living somewhere new can offer more.

If you're not happy where you are, do it.
If you're happy but curious about what else is out there, do it.

You can always pack up and move again if you don't like where you end up.
And you gain new experiences and new friends.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I always wanted to pack up a few things in a VW van and travel the country for a year or two. Work odd jobs when I need gas money and just see the U.S. in a way I haven't before.

I came close to doing that a few years back, but never did. Life tends to pile up a lot more responsibility as the years roll by so I'm not sure I'll ever get that chance.

Funny, though, I don't really regret not ever doing it as I feel pretty grateful for the things I've seen, done and accomplished. The only thing I've missed out on is the chance to do basically nothing for a while...which isn't too bad of a regret I suppose.

makedamnsure
12-28-2007, 07:25 PM
If I move anywhere, it's gotta at least have the same climate. I can't stand the snow and the cold.

RashoFan
12-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd actually like to take it a step further and explore living in another country.
Same here...I have been wanting to go to Scotland...I wonder how difficult it would be to "transfer" my Certification to another country??

LaMarcus Bryant
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
getting up and just leaving the city maybe even the state and just starting over in another state??? New job, new friends, new life???

Is Danyo's stalking making your life in san antonio unbearable?

Duff McCartney
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah I think about that alot but I can't anymore...or at least I did before. Now I can't.

CuckingFunt
12-28-2007, 11:10 PM
I've thought about it many times, actually. The idea was a bit more appealing to me when I was younger -- now that I have had the experience of being somewhat settled, owning a house, having a steady job, having a good social life, and having a grown-up relationship, I can really see the appeal of stability much more than I ever thought I would.

On the other hand, I've recently moved to a completely new part of my state and away from all of that comfort/stability and away from friends/family/relationship and I'm adjusting remarkably well. The grad school that most appeals to me currently is in Georgia, too, so who knows where I'll be in a couple of years.

slayermin
12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
I think it expands your horizons. You definitely learn about what you don't want to be in life.

My only advice is to have a plan and some money to relocate. It's tougher when you have to struggle and rely on the good graces of family and friends. I speak from experience.

BeerIsGood!
12-28-2007, 11:43 PM
If you're single with no kids and basically nobody depending on you but yourself, do it. After I graduated from UT I got a job locally and worked for 9 months and realized I hated the company and wanted something different. I started looking around for jobs and new places and got a job in Chicago. I got rid of most of my stuff, packed up the rest, and headed for Chicago. I lived there for just under a year while I met some really cool people and got to know a different lifestyle. I got to be at Wrigley for the Bartman game when everyone went from jubilation at the thought of going to the World Series to downright despair. It was an amazing experience, but one winter in that climate was enough for me. An opening came up in Dallas and I transferred.

Bottom line is don't be afraid to live your life. Take the ride.

Sapphire
12-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Ahhhhhh, wanderlust. I think I am part gypsy, as I would love to pick up and go. I'd do it every year or so if I didn't have a family. It works if you are not so attached to your "things!"

Just remember, you can run, but you can't hide. Make sure you're not running "from" something, but rather "to" something. Other than that, I say go for it!

Whisky Dog
12-29-2007, 12:31 AM
I'd love to live a year on the east coast, a year on the west coast, and 6 months to a year in Hawaii.

atxrocker
12-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Just remember, you can run, but you can't hide. Make sure you're not running "from" something, but rather "to" something. Other than that, I say go for it!

who said i'm tryin to "run" from anything? i most certainly am not trying to "hide" from shit. what i am trying to do however, is find peace with myself and my surroundings. right now, nothing else matters, quite frankly. :smokin

Sapphire
12-29-2007, 12:34 AM
who said i'm tryin to "run" from anything? i most certainly am not trying to "hide" from shit. what i am trying to do however, is find peace with myself and my surroundings. right now, nothing else matters, quite frankly. :smokin

I was actually addressing batman. I don't think I quoted you but I'll go back and check.

Nope, no quote. :wtf

Whisky Dog
12-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I was actually addressing batman. I don't think I quoted you but I'll go back and check.

Nope, no quote. :wtf

:lol

2Blonde
12-29-2007, 02:43 AM
I did that once when I was in my early 20's. I move from OKC to Dallas. Lived w/my sister & her family for about 6 weeks then got my own apartment. A couple of months later I realized I wasn't crazy about my job so I asked my company for an office job and they sent me to Austin. My first 4 months there I hated it and was ready to move back to OKC. Then I had a great weekend and made some friends and it became 3 years of heaven. Then I made another life-change and moved back to my hometown in OK to finish my chemistry degree so I could make a decent living. I was tired of living paycheck to paycheck.

A couple of years later I was married and finished my degree and got a great job. Then came the kid and life has been stable ever since.

That was fun when I was young but now I have no desire for it. I love owning a house that I know is MINE!!!

angel_luv
12-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I really wanted to get away and start fresh back in the spring of 04 and so I relocated to Houston.

It was because of that move that I found this forum.
It will always be ironic to me how it was while I was away looking for better, greener pasture, that I ended up finding a whole community of great people from my home town ( and beyond :) )

As for Houston, I hated being there.
The people I had gone to live near turned out to be not at all whom they had said/ whom I had hoped they were.

While that was painful, it was not a wasted experience as being away showed me how much I love San Antonio and that ( for now, at least) it is where I want to be.

If you're not happy where you are, do it.
If you're happy but curious about what else is out there, do it.

You can always pack up and move again if you don't like where you end up.
And you gain new experiences and new friends.

Excellent advice . :tu
I agree whole heartedly.

Das Texan
12-30-2007, 12:11 PM
my time in dallas taught me that

a) dallas sucks

b) i actually really do like san antonio

would still love to go traveling, maybe have a home away from home out in the real west at some point.

bigzak25
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
home is where the heart is.