PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Own A Upconverted DVD Player?

davi78239
12-29-2007, 12:43 AM
My current DVD player is jacked up and thinking about getting a new one. They have some that are upconvert ones up to the 1080P level. Does anyone have one of these and is it worth getting? Are they near HD quality and are they that much better than a regular dvd player. I know nothing beats a blue ray or HD dvd player but right now I don't have the money to shell out for one of those. Just wanted to know if these upconvert ones are worth it and if they are better than regular ones.

Burn531
12-29-2007, 02:09 AM
I've heard good things about them. I don't own one but it's the best thing next to the HD discs. Cheaper too.

missmyzte
12-29-2007, 02:35 AM
I have a Sony upconvert 5-disc changer. Yes, I can definitely notice a difference in the picture quality.

Not to state the obvious, but just want to mention that an upconvert DVD player to 1080p only matters if the TV is 1080p.

Slomo
12-29-2007, 04:49 AM
I own a Helios X5000. The picture is slightly better (before I used the component progressive output - now HDMI), if you use other - lesser - outputs the difference should be even more obvious. The best feature is watching digital photos in HD (watching jpegs on SD sucks). The X5000 has another good feature and it's playing back stuff (music, photos and videos) over the network. It's great for all those divx videos and even for playing back 1080p files.

http://helios-labs.com/us/products/