PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman of the Year: Gregg Popovich

Spurs Brazil
12-30-2007, 07:31 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA20071230.08C.NZ.State.SPO_popovich_feature_123 .28dc55a.html

Sportsman of the Year: Gregg Popovich

Spurs coach sparks run to fourth NBA title

Web Posted: 12/29/2007 11:12 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The Houston Rockets had just handed the Spurs their eighth loss in a 23-game stretch, a 90-85 defeat in front of a big crowd at the AT&T Center.
It was late January, and the team's annual rodeo road trip loomed, an eight-game, 18-day grind that could make or break a team whose 2005 NBA championship banner seemed little more than a cruel reminder of recent glory.

If Spurs players expected a blistering postgame review from their coach that night, they were taken aback by what coach Gregg Popovich said in the sanctity of their team room.

Aware that trade rumors had oozed up from the Internet as their struggles magnified during a month that produced four homecourt losses in nine games, Popovich calmly told his players there would be no trades by the NBA's trade deadline, less than a month away.

It was a simple message that made all the difference.

"I don't know how much of that was trying to put guys at ease," said Spurs guard Brent Barry, who had reason to wonder if the Spurs might be shopping him for a second-straight season. "It was just said to let us know we were going to have to figure it out, and when that was, was really up to us.

"It took a little time, a couple of weeks to figure things out. But we did."

Indeed, the Spurs figured out everything, as the club's fourth NBA championship attests.

For all Popovich did to help his players bring another title to San Antonio, and for what he has meant to the Spurs and to his community for nearly two decades, the Express-News has selected him as its 2007 Sportsman of the Year.

Popovich is the ninth recipient with a Spurs connection. Others are one-time Spurs owner B.J. "Red" McCombs (1988); team president Bob Coleman (1993); center David Robinson (1994 and 1995); forward Tim Duncan (1999); entire Spurs team (2003); guard Manu Ginobili (2004); and forward Bruce Bowen (2005).

Those who know the Spurs organization best call Popovich's talk on that cold January night the turning point of another championship season.

General manager R.C. Buford believes what happened that night made it the "telling date" of the season.

"He said, 'Guys, this is going to be our team. Don't expect anyone to bail us out. Now let's go to work,'" Buford said.

Majority owner and chairman Peter Holt called it a stroke of motivational genius.

"It was obviously the right thing to do," Holt said, "and it helped those guys to know there wasn't going to be some savior for this group. They were going to have to do it."

Popovich agrees his reassurance of job security and admonition to corporate rededication sparked something in his team that ultimately produced a championship. He disputes that his role last season merits special recognition.

Notoriously uncomfortable with adulation of any sort, the team's executive vice-president for basketball operations and head coach said he will share the honor with the Spurs organization, just as he shared his NBA 2005 Coach of the Year Award.

"I'm honored that the powers that be would think of me in that regard," he said, "but I didn't score any points, rebound or make any assists.

"I was fortunate enough to be the guy in charge of a team that has displayed great character and ability over a whole decade. That means a lot of people had a lot to do with that type of award. It doesn't really reflect on me individually. Rather, it reflects on our group and what we all stand for, so it's an honor and a privilege, but it's more about our group than it is about me."

Holt, though, believes Popovich does not get enough credit for the success the Spurs have enjoyed since the luck of the 1997 draft lottery produced the opportunity to select Tim Duncan.

"When you spin the lottery balls and get a Tim Duncan, there is no doubt the Good Lord is looking down on you," Holt said. "Pop would be the first to say that. The key is: What do you do with a guy like that? How do you build a team around him? How do you create an atmosphere that becomes a winning atmosphere?"

Popovich has done it, a process that began when he took control of the team's basketball operations in 1994.

Like Buford, assistant coach Mike Budenholzer has been with Popovich since 1994. He believes it is Popovich's insistence on doing things right that has made the Spurs the envy of the NBA for more than a decade.

"When he first came here he wanted to change the way the Spurs were viewed in the NBA and how the team was run," Budenholzer said. "He constantly mentioned how we wanted this to be a first-class organization; do everything first-class. We're going to make this a great place for people to play and to be."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

m33p0
12-30-2007, 07:56 AM
:tu

urunobili
12-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Pop's the shit

Cian
12-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, we are lucky to have him on our side :).

SouthernFried
12-30-2007, 02:25 PM
That type of motivation, only works with certain types of Players.

Spurs have those types of players...and they have that type of coach.

Gives more insight into why some obviously talented players don't make it here.

bigfundamental21
12-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Way to go, Pop. He will never accept any praise for what he has done to help the Spurs reach the next level, but he is definitely deserving.

T Park
12-30-2007, 04:42 PM
When he goes into the hall of fame, that will be the shortest acceptance speach as well.

This one he prob thinks is "alot of nothin" as well.

timmy21_4rings
12-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Who is not coming to play with Spurs?

Duncan, Gino and Parker take less to stay!!. The veteran players are coming here to play and often mention SA as their destination.

It is Spurs that are not going after other players because they do not have enough money to pay. Ask Kobe, if he is willing to play for Spurs (telling that Spurs will pay the same money), he will come down. There are lot of super stars willing to play for Spurs (if they get the same money here).

You are making a week argument.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice article.

Another plus for Pop - he has grown enormously during his time in charge. Remember some of his horrible decisions back between 2000-2. Many here and elsewhere were calling for his head (although we were on SR at the time). It's a credit to him that he stuck by his ideas, his vision, and at the same time learned from his mistakes, to become the exemplary coach and manager we see today.

Props to Pops! :tu :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-30-2007, 06:41 PM
That type of motivation, only works with certain types of Players.

Spurs have those types of players...and they have that type of coach.

Wrong. The Spurs specifically choose players who fit their values - strong character, team first, dogged persistence, respect the community, winning above ego. That's why some talented but otherwise lacking players don't make it here. And personally, I back the policy because it builds strong TEAMS.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-31-2007, 11:51 AM
"When you spin the lottery balls and get a Tim Duncan, there is no doubt the Good Lord is looking down on you," Holt said. "Pop would be the first to say that. The key is: What do you do with a guy like that? How do you build a team around him? How do you create an atmosphere that becomes a winning atmosphere?"

I think this needs to be cut and pasted every time someone says "Sure Pop has four+ rings, but look who he had on his roster."

Methinks that if anyone other than Pop had been pulling the strings that Timmy very likely could have ended up in Orlando and I'd still be waiting for the Spurs to grab that first title.

ancestron
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
One time I thought I saw God coaching a basketball team.
turns out it was just Gregg Popovich.

whottt
12-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Wrong. The Spurs specifically choose players who fit their values - strong character, team first, dogged persistence, respect the community, winning above ego. That's why some talented but otherwise lacking players don't make it here. And personally, I back the policy because it builds strong TEAMS.

Yeah but...David Robinsons and Tim Duncans don't grow on trees...it is our extreme good fortune to have landed two players with the caliber of talent and character of those two...

Other teams would like to have guys like that too...but they don't come around that often.

And without them what the other guys are or aren't...doesn't matter a whole lot.

Anyway...I've always said, Pop the GM is a genius. But yes he did get lucky to have Robinson and then get Duncan...and yes he has maximized the good fortune of having those two.

Without those two, that character thing wouldn't be as easy to pull off while still producing championships...

E20
12-31-2007, 02:53 PM
[url]
Notoriously uncomfortable with adulation of any sort, the team's executive vice-president for basketball operations and head coach said he will share the honor with the Spurs organization, just as he shared his NBA 2005 Coach of the Year Award.
You mean 2003.

WalterBenitez
12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Congrats to POP ... I imagine POP when got the nomination ..."I don't give a shit about this prize"