PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Ginobili itching to get back

TMTTRIO
12-31-2007, 01:58 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA123107.03D.BKNspurs.ginobili.2f0a741.html
Spurs notebook: Ginobili itching to get back
Web Posted: 12/31/2007 12:25 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Manu Ginobili has circled Thursday's game against the Nuggets in Denver on his Spurs schedule card, saying he hopes to suit up there after missing three games with a sprained left index finger.
Ginobili first injured the finger in the Spurs' victory over the Portland Trail Blazers on Dec. 2, but did not miss any games until he re-sprained it in the first quarter on Dec. 22 against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Sunday's game against the Memphis Grizzlies was his third straight on the inactive list, and the ultra-competitive Argentine is anxious to get back on the court.

"I think I could have played (Sunday)," Ginobili said before tipoff at AT&T Center. "I want to play the next game, but that's a question better asked of Pop."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he won't consider allowing Ginobili to play in Denver until he sees him at a practice session Wednesday.

"We'll talk about it," he said, "but I haven't even thought about it yet. He can shoot, just so long as his hand doesn't get in position where it extends the ligament too much. We'll have him run around to stay in shape, but no contact."

Determined defense: Bruce Bowen went into Sunday's game with a mission: Don't allow Grizzlies forward Mike Miller a shred of room to shoot.

Miller scorched the Spurs for 31 points in the Grizzlies' 88-85 victory in Memphis on Dec. 18. Bowen was determined he would not do it again.

"I know how he played in Memphis," Bowen said. "If he has nights like that, a lot of times they're going to win the game. I was more concerned about making sure that if he tried to have a night like that it would be difficult for him."

Miller didn't even get a shot up through the first 36:47 of the game. He finished with only eight points, on 3-of-8 shooting.

"(Bruce's defense) is something we always take for granted, because he doesn't score a lot of points," Popovich said. "But his work on Mike was really important, because he is such a great scorer in a lot of ways."

ShoogarBear
12-31-2007, 02:11 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Back_scratcher.jpg/563px-Back_scratcher.jpg

bigfundamental21
12-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Bowen did an awesome job on Miller. I am constantly amazed at how Bowen can truly shut people down.

As for Manu, I hope he does come back Thursday. I just have a feeling Pop will make him sit out a little longer.

SAGambler
12-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Bowen did an awesome job on Miller. I am constantly amazed at how Bowen can truly shut people down.

As for Manu, I hope he does come back Thursday. I just have a feeling Pop will make him sit out a little longer.

What amazes me, is Bruce still doesn't win DPOY, even though the guys that do win it could never shut down the players Bruce does.

Maybe they will all come to their senses this year, and not just look at who has the most blocks and give it to them.

Bruce has deserved it for at least the last 2 years. Let's hope he gets it this time around.

bigfundamental21
12-31-2007, 09:01 AM
What amazes me, is Bruce still doesn't win DPOY, even though the guys that do win it could never shut down the players Bruce does.

Maybe they will all come to their senses this year, and not just look at who has the most blocks and give it to them.

Bruce has deserved it for at least the last 2 years. Let's hope he gets it this time around.
I truly believe that Bruce could have won this award a few times already, but there is complete disregard for his ability to lock down players at several positions. I don't know what he has to do to win the award, but I certainly hope people finally give him his due this year. The guy can flat out defend!

m33p0
12-31-2007, 09:29 AM
the people who vote are too in love with statistics. they want someone who can back it up with blocks and steals. unfortunately, bruce doesn't do those things. the league hasn't come up with something that can measure what he does. every year, the consensus around the league is that bruce is the best defender in the league and yet they have failed to officially recognize it.

i wouldn't mind keeping manu out for one more game to be on the safe side. in the meantime...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3191D9671JL.jpg

traitoravery
12-31-2007, 10:17 AM
How come Bruce couldnt shut him down in Memphis.....Thats what I want to know.

MoSpur
12-31-2007, 11:22 AM
I can't wait until Manu is back.

birdy219
12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
How come Bruce couldnt shut him down in Memphis.....Thats what I want to know.

Bruce was put on him and he was MIA until he switched to someone else.
BRUUUUUUUUUE is da man. :fro

Doctor J
01-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I am not a Kobe fan.

But there are three things I love to see at the end of this season.

One, Kobe winning the MVP.

Two, Bowen winning the DPOY.

Three, Manu winning the SOY.

Have a happy New Year, everybody!!! :blah

P.S. If Manu isn't invited to the All Star Game this year, I will never watch an All Star Game ever again.

birdy219
01-01-2008, 04:29 PM
I am not a Kobe fan.

But there are three things I love to see at the end of this season.

One, Kobe winning the MVP.

Two, Bowen winning the DPOY.

Three, Manu winning the SOY.

Have a happy New Year, everybody!!! :blah

P.S. If Manu isn't invited to the All Star Game this year, I will never watch an All Star Game ever again.

Well, get ready to never watch again UNLESS Manu comes back as MJ on steroids. :hat The coaches can only vote for 7 players. I think the locks are nash, amare, nowitski, paul, ai, boozer, and probably tony. I think manu would come after deron & baron even. I vote for him everyday, but there are so many deserving guards in the west. Tony gets in because he was finals MVP and pop :nerd might actually have to coach the ASG. I hope that tony and manu would use their time off to rest for the stretch haul if they don't get in.

meta2007
01-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think ASG needs so many pgs.

Well, get ready to never watch again UNLESS Manu comes back as MJ on steroids. :hat The coaches can only vote for 7 players. I think the locks are nash, amare, nowitski, paul, ai, boozer, and probably tony. I think manu would come after deron & baron even. I vote for him everyday, but there are so many deserving guards in the west. Tony gets in because he was finals MVP and pop :nerd might actually have to coach the ASG. I hope that tony and manu would use their time off to rest for the stretch haul if they don't get in.

m33p0
01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
the last all star game i watched in full was the 1987 all star game that was held in seattle. it was the doctor's last all star game. needless to say, its been a while.

Thompson
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I've read articles from sports writers expressing regret that Bruce didn't win after last year's run through the playoffs. I think a lot of sports writers watched in amazement as the guy who went off for 48 points against Detroit was shut down night after night by Bruce Bowen.

Not to mention the series he had against Steve Nash, and how useful he was against Denver.

I think Bowen will get a lot more consideration this year; I think he will win it if he continues at his current rate. From what I've read, a lot of people who didn't notice him before have seen the light.

ShoogarBear
01-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I've read articles from sports writers expressing regret that Bruce didn't win after last year's run through the playoffs. I think a lot of sports writers watched in amazement as the guy who went off for 48 points against Detroit was shut down night after night by Bruce Bowen.
This is a great point. I think that if he finallys wins the 2008 award, part of that will be due to the 2007 Finals.

Not the way it's supposed to be, but wouldn't be the first time, either.

SouthernFried
01-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Rest MANU until the finger is completely healed! Anything else is just stupid.

How bad is that ligament? After 25 yrs of playing, I've had every finger injury known to man. Can't make a closed fist with either hand. Every finger has been broken, some 2-3 times. Surgery 3 times (I can tell you what surgeon to avoid if your interested.)

You let them heal, and you let them heal properly. 6 weeks was the norm for most injuries...and that included intensive physical therapy during rehab.

If he needs to wear a splint to play...it's way too early. Splints are what you wear while your still healing.

Let it heal now, rehab it well... or risk continue pulling him when he reinjures it.

jamanuel
01-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Can't wait to see Manu play again. Go Manu go!!!

remingtonbo2001
01-02-2008, 02:16 AM
tell me when manu isn't itching to play....injured or not!

ancestron
01-02-2008, 10:09 AM
You guys know that when Ginobili comes back he is probably gonna go off for 50, have a play or two on "Top Plays", impregnate his wife, end world hunger, stop global warming, and invent a new longer lasting light bulb.

WalterBenitez
01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Rest MANU until the finger is completely healed! Anything else is just stupid.

How bad is that ligament? After 25 yrs of playing, I've had every finger injury known to man. Can't make a closed fist with either hand. Every finger has been broken, some 2-3 times. Surgery 3 times (I can tell you what surgeon to avoid if your interested.)

You let them heal, and you let them heal properly. 6 weeks was the norm for most injuries...and that included intensive physical therapy during rehab.

If he needs to wear a splint to play...it's way too early. Splints are what you wear while your still healing.

Let it heal now, rehab it well... or risk continue pulling him when he reinjures it.

I'd hire you to Spurs' roster anyday! for the record... where did you put you fingers during the game? :nerd

SouthernFried
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
for the record... where did you put you fingers during the game? :nerd

Usually in the way of that flying round object.

I'd like to say I screwed up my fingers on dunks and hanging from the rim...but, that would be a lie. That's how I got all the scar's on my head. :D